• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice |OT| The Mid-Tier, in Limbo

robotrock

Banned
How far am I in this?
Defeated Valraven and Surt

still enjoying a whole lot about it, just the puzzles slows the pacing a bit more than I'd like

Just beat the first boss,
Valravn
. I have to say, this is a game that I really cannot marathon through. The oppressive environments and dark nature of the game makes this a really tough game to work through. Perhaps that is the point though. What an awesome boss fight though, when it was done - I had no idea I was gripping the controller so hard and my hands were sweating.

Regarding the voices, the trippy part is where you get two voices telling you two opposite things when you're trying to make a decision. It keeps catching me off guard and second guessing what I do. Again though, perhaps that's the point.

xviper

just finished the game and got the platinum

it's a piece of shit with a garbage medal of approval

the pros of this abomination:

+ The price, pretty sure it's why it got these scores, NT were smart, they knew the game is a piece of shit so they lowered the price because otherwise it will end up like TO1886

+ the combat is good, but it's very VERY repetitive

+ it's short, that's the BEST thing about the game, i don't want to suffer anymore of this horrible game

+ the bosses are okay

and that's it for the pros of this shit hole

now the cons, oh boy

- the environment look the same

- the graphics is weird, Senua's character model looks good, but everything else looks blurry and like a ps3 game

- the enemies, there is like only 5 or 6 type of enemies

- the walking, WTF is wrong with the developers ?? did they play their game ?? and i thought Uncharted 4 had too much walking, the game is like 5 hours long of "gameplay", more than 4 fucking hours you will spend walking around, this is a walking simulator

- the combat is so fucking repetitive

- there is nothing to collect except for the lorestones, which are just stones that when you look at, you hear more of the story, so there is nothing useful to collect, NOTHING

- there is only 1 weapons, the sword, no gears, no armor, just nothing,

- the "puzzles", probably the most boring part about this piece of shit of a game, all you do is find a door with symbols, and you have to find an object through the environment that resembles the symbols and the door will open, you will do this A LOT

- the music, what music ?? there was no music in this game at all except at the final level

-the story is garbage and put you to sleep

- no progression for Senua's abilities

- the game has no replay value

- all the NPC's that will whisper to you are real life people recorded and put into the game because the developers are too lazy

- the Pacing, one of the worst i have ever seen, this is how i would sum up the game, walk and people whisper to you, find a door with symbols to unlock, fight the same enemies and repeat

- the main character does nothing but screams, should have called the game "Hellblade: Senua's Screams"

what a piece of shit that i wouldn't even pay 10$ for, i wouldn't play it again even if the company pays me 100$, it was torture, it's like when they were making the game, the CEO of NT tried it and was like " What the fuck is this ?? just cut the price to 30$ because no sane person would buy it if they knew how the game is"

i really appreciate the price, i really do, they were honest about how bad their game is, they didn't scam us like The order 1886

my overall score for Hellblade: Senua's Walking and screaming simulator is a 3\10

wouldn't recommend this shit to anyone, even if it's free, don't play it unless you want an easy platinum, in fact, i was about to quit playing it, but the platinum was too easy so i decided to suffer for few hours and get an easy platinum

patchday

Beat it tonight, loved it. 9/10. Puzzles were meh and I would've liked more combat scenarios.

They made the game they wanted to make without going too far into gaming tropes. RPG mechanics, huds, etc etc. To this extend I cannot fault what we have here.

Atmosphere, audio, story, graphics, and combat were all so well done. Combat just felt satisfying, and like I mentioned before didn't feel bloated with tons of pointless moves.

Fantastic work, and I hope we get a sequel someday.

It didn't topple Prey as my GOTY, but it definitely has the 2nd spot.

Nice review, will probably get it at some point. Just trying to burn through this backlog first...

NJShadow

Man.. those visuals..

DHCaU4pWAAExS-U.jpg:orig

eliochip

+ The price, pretty sure it's why it got these scores, NT were smart, they knew the game is a piece of shit so they lowered the price because otherwise it will end up like TO1886

+ it's short, that's the BEST thing about the game, i don't want to suffer anymore of this horrible game

+ the bosses are okay

now the cons, oh boy

- the graphics is weird, Senua's character model looks good, but everything else looks blurry and like a ps3 game

- the walking, WTF is wrong with the developers ?? did they play their game ?? and i thought Uncharted 4 had too much walking, the game is like 5 hours long of "gameplay", more than 4 fucking hours you will spend walking around, this is a walking simulator

- there is nothing to collect except for the lorestones, which are just stones that when you look at, you hear more of the story, so there is nothing useful to collect, NOTHING

- the "puzzles", probably the most boring part about this piece of shit of a game, all you do is find a door with symbols, and you have to find an object through the environment that resembles the symbols and the door will open, you will do this A LOT

- the music, what music ?? there was no music in this game at all except at the final level

- all the NPC's that will whisper to you are real life people recorded and put into the game because the developers are too lazy

- the Pacing, one of the worst i have ever seen, this is how i would sum up the game, walk and people whisper to you, find a door with symbols to unlock, fight the same enemies and repeat

- the main character does nothing but screams, should have called the game "Hellblade: Senua's Screams"

what a piece of shit that i wouldn't even pay 10$ for, i wouldn't play it again even if the company pays me 100$, it was torture, it's like when they were making the game, the CEO of NT tried it and was like " What the fuck is this ?? just cut the price to 30$ because no sane person would buy it if they knew how the game is"

i really appreciate the price, i really do, they were honest about how bad their game is, they didn't scam us like The order 1886

my overall score for Hellblade: Senua's Walking and screaming simulator is a 3\10

wouldn't recommend this shit to anyone, even if it's free, don't play it unless you want an easy platinum, in fact, i was about to quit playing it, but the platinum was too easy so i decided to suffer for few hours and get an easy platinum

I enjoyed this post.

So far this game seems like Valhalla Rising: The Game.
Thats not a bad thing though. The atmosphere in this game is enthralling. Definitely not a game i'd replay but I'm enjoying it so far.

Orb

So i just beat
Surt after first killing the raven dude, am i anout 2/3rds of the way done like i think i am?

Finished the game today, it is a unique experience but has many issues. Combat is fun at first but it gets repetitive and the enemy variety is lacking. Puzzles are lazy and repetitive. Forced walking animation in a segment where you have to find your path is a big no developers. I like the atmosphere, the graphics, voice acting and dialogue.

If I have to give it a score, my score is 7/10.

Orb

+ the bosses are okay

now the cons, oh boy

my overall score for Hellblade: Senua's Walking and screaming simulator is a 310

Jesus christ is this a shit post?

The thing that bothers me is that the more new PS4 games come , the less they take advantage of the console and DualShock 4 features. Motion controls are officially over for a long time now even for first party games eventhough Heavenly Sword one of the best use of Motion Controls before.. Touch screen is just used for showing a map or score and not as gameplay elements. At least here in hellblade they could have made the whispering sounds come from the controller speaker or to the earphone when hooked to the controller for more immersion. Let alone the use of PS Camera or streaming commands that change the gameplay or help you which were used in handful of games only.

Orb

Just got to the bridge and holy fuck, the scene with
her love strung up and her screaming from the voices
hit really fucking hard. I was tearing up.

Like sure,
lady not being able to handle voices
is a common thing with MI depictions, but this game feels more.... idk the word for it. Respectful?
shes not portrayed as a monster and is instead portrayed as being haunted by one, which is a world of difference in depictions

I thought the visuals in terms of the environment were great. Seeing that this is a self-budgeted game, I can see the flaws. Unfortunately, if Ninja Theory had more time and money, they could have added extras, but since so much was spent on the tech, I can see why.

Hopefully, if there is a sequel, Ninja Theory can add more things.

Harlequin

Please explain how the game is a masterpiece? Because I can give you many reasons why it isn't.

What is and isn't a masterpiece is so subjective that having a factual discussion about it is kind of pointless. It can be a masterpiece for them and not a masterpiece for you at the same time.

Orb

Please explain how the game is a masterpiece? Because I can give you many reasons why it isn't.
Its depiction of mental illness is far and away the best in this medium and for that alone id consider it a masterpiece at wbat it sets out to do narratively(so far)

What is and isn't a masterpiece is so subjective that having a factual discussion about it is kind of pointless. It can be a masterpiece for them and not a masterpiece for you at the same time.

The game has to reach a certain standard to even considered to be a masterpiece. Subjectivity is when it comes to story, characters, music, art, visuals, but not on bad design choices.

Orb

The game has to reach a certain standard to even considered to be a masterpiece. Subjectivity is when it comes to story, characters, music, art, visuals, but not on bad design choices.
Thats not how this works. A game can have godawful gameplay but great everything else and still be a masterpiece.

Its depiction of mental illness is far and away the best in this medium and for that alone id consider it a masterpiece at what it sets out to do narratively(so far)

It isn't enough to call the game a masterpiece because of narrative alone. We are playing videogames, not watching a tv series.

Orb

It isn't enough to call the game a masterpiece because of narrative alone. We are playing videogames, not watching a tv series.
Yes it is? Just like how movies have several catergories. There are multiple movies and books that read/watch badly but are highly regarded

Its backwards to assume the sole interactive medium HAS to be a certain thing to be a masterpiece

then clearly it's not worth having a discussion with you about what is or isn't a masterpiece in games, because you and I fundamentally disagree on what games should be

Harlequin

What is and isn't a bad design choice is subjective in and of itself, though. And there's no objective way to determine any kind of "standard" a game has to reach to be considered a general masterpiece. Don't get me wrong, I don't personally consider Hellblade to be a masterpiece (though it is a really good game and I do consider it to be incredibly important simply because of how it was developed and what it represents, not to mention the way it deals with its subject matter), I just think it's misguided to try and pretend that one could objectively classify anything as a masterpiece. You can objectively say whether something is widely considered to be a masterpiece or not but not whether it actually is a masterpiece.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?

I think the gameplay is awesome, let alone the setting and the narrative. I don't ever feel like I'm watching some TV show. The combat is beyond satisfying, I think it's some of the best sword fighting combat I've played in a long time. There are going to be a ton of people who are going to call this game a Masterpiece. Like many have said, it's so subjective that any argument you would make would be pointless. You're not going to convince someone who already thinks this game is a Masterpiece otherwise.

NJShadow

Considering something a masterpiece is based on the view of the person playing/experiencing it. It depends on what YOU consider a masterpiece. Someone could complain that Senua's hair is in disarray, and it would sound just as ridiculous. What you focus on and what's important to you is what makes the game a masterpiece or not. Maybe I'm an audiophile who could care less about all other aspects of the game. To me, it would be a masterpiece.

Please, you don't have to keep pushing against the grain. At the end of the day, beauty (or a masterpiece) is in the eye of the beholder. There is no objective scale for it. There are some games I'll never understand how people can like, but to them it's something special.

(Also, I for one think Hellblade is pretty spectacular thus far. Sometimes I prefer games that aren't filled to the brim with combat.)

I think the gameplay is awesome, let alone the setting and the narrative. I don't ever feel like I'm watching some TV show. The combat is beyond satisfying, I think it's some of the best sword fighting combat I've played in a long time. There are going to be a ton of people who are going to call this game a Masterpiece. Like many have said, it's so subjective that any argument you would make would be pointless. You're not going to convince someone who already thinks this game is a Masterpiece otherwise.

Ok fine, I don't agree with your opinion, we will leave at that.

AlterOdin

Just finished, a nice, great looking, little game. Was a little bothered by some puzzle
Must have died 5 times with the bridge/platform you have to lower, but you have to light the light on the other side first (and you die in the darkness) + the maze with the fire-monster was a little frustrating

As said combat became a little repetitive, and the boss&mob fights could last a tad to long for my taste.

But great work on the "psychosis" bit. Hopefully they make more game in the similar vein.

Would love see a Chutulu-esc game from NT, and how they would handle that (psychosis, madness, etc).

SilentRob

First of all: Its subjective. Try to get off your high horse.
The game is one of the best depictions of mental health issues I have ever seen in any form of media. By far the best in Video Games. It's able to educate people with no experience with mental illness, helping them understand what people go through and why the sometimes behave the way they do. That alone makes it a milestone achievement in Video Games to me. But there's more.

It brings those themes to many people who normally wouldn't play games with them by combining them with incredible production values. AAA games often tell emotional and great stories, but almost never do they tell brave or new ones (relative to this medium). Those are confined to "smaller" scaled games like gone home or beginners guide. NT managed to finally marry the ambition and braveness of small scale Independent productions with the allure and spectacle of traditional AAA games. I have been waiting for this to happen for years. I waited for this game for years.

It's o e of the most touching (and taxing) games I have ever played and one that can actually make a difference in the world, however small, by perhaps enabling a first step into researching and u understanding mental illness for a few people. What this game depicts is the real deal. It's not sensationalized. But it also not dumbed down. For me, this is a masterpiece and one of the best games I have played in a long time.

What a reductive view you seem to have of this medium. Hellblade works so well because of its nature as a video game, because you are in control. A game can focus on its narrative and still be an amazing game that would only work that way in this medium.

burgerdog

[IG]https://abload.de/img/ps3_008.bmphqoll.jpg[/IMG]
[MG]https://abload.de/img/ps3_027xkrvu.png[/IMG]
[MG]http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/657691-infamous-playstation-3-screenshot-close-combat-with-local.jpg[/IMG]
[MG]http://i.imgur.com/dWUrx7F.png[/IMG]
[IG]https://abload.de/img/lfrir.jpg[/IMG]

h3h32.gif

My eyes, get those "blurry" graphics out of here.

Wozman23

Curious to those wishing for a sequel: Where do you take the IP?

I feel like the story runs its full course, was respectful to its subject matter, and wouldn't really have anything else to add. As I see it, Hellblade is the story about
Senua coming to terms with the death of Dillon. By the end she has confronted her fears, found a way to control or at least lessen her illness, and she completes the grieving process. The ending line about the story just beginning is more a sign of hope - a recognition that she's now entering a new, healthy stage in her life devoid of her past afflictions - and not a cliffhanger for another journey when she descends back into madness after her pet guinea pig dies. I feel like with the weight of the material, it's better to just be left as a lone experience.

Mista Koo

Can someone explain the ending for me?
All I got is that nothing happened. She didn't die nor got her BF back, and now she got over it or something?

Top Bottom