• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice |OT| The Mid-Tier, in Limbo

Adree

well, i am stuck. i solved a rune puzzle (pretty early on), the rune "barrier" disappeared, but i cannot enter the door.
its the section with the "fire boss", after you solve the puzzle with the "N" and "Y" (man on a cross) runes.

Is it not one of the doors you need to go to the fire for? There should be a single active torch you need to activate.

Djostikk

Damn, this sucks. I am at the
very end of the game I think, where you are supposed to rush to Darkness itself and there are some waves of enemies. I killed two waves and got to Darkness, but more enemies came and I've been fighting them for 30 minutes now,
what the hel? They just keep spawning all the time and I can't even damage The Boss itself, is my copy glitched, what should I do?

V3rt1go

very end of the game I think, where you are supposed to rush to Darkness itself and there are some waves of enemies. I killed two waves and got to Darkness, but more enemies came and I've been fighting them for 30 minutes now,
what the hel? They just keep spawning all the time and I can't even damage The Boss itself, is my copy glitched, what should I do?

lose

If you truly are at the end.

JakR

It is not a glitch. You are just to good.

Flousn

Encountered a game-breaking but at the beginning of the game (one hour in, spoiler just in case)
before the fight with Velravn, the doors to the boss arena did not spawn for me, I could walk straight into the arena but the boss did not spawn.
The problem is that the door on the other side (the last rune-puzzle door) did not spawn also. There is no way I can trigger the last puzzle sequence and therefore the boss fight.
It's still early game and not that big a loss, but frustrating nonetheless. With all the talk of other game-breaking bugs i will hold off till the patch hits. I hope they clean up all the possible bugs...

Departing from last thread -

How many bosses are in the game? Just trying to feel out how far I am.
I just branded the side of my face with my broken blade after seeing Hela.

Mista Koo

Wasn't my cup of tea. The combat is the only thing I liked, but the encounter design with hordes of enemies with a ton of health got tedious quite fast. Doesn't help that the two cool locales (
Berserk-esque river and Hella's domain
) didn't get unique encounters.

The voices where effective at the start, but then I just got used to them.

Well, that's how I read it at least.
This was my take on it from a little earlier in this thread:
Thanks. Doesn't really change how I feel about it, but I missed the part
about her being Celt and basing these on that guy's tales.

How many bosses are in the game? Just trying to feel out how far I am.
I just branded the side of my face with my broken blade after seeing Hela.
4-ish
. I'd fix that spoiler tag.

Wollan

The viking hymns playing during combat scenes is in Norwegian I believe, I can hear some of the wordings. Will have to check this out once the credit plays.

Phloxy

Hey everybody! I got my review ready!
https://youtu.be/Q-J3V1tN7uk

Like all my videos, I don't have any spoilers, truly a remarkable game in how the story challenges players to parse out information in a way that strikes home hard as somebody who has works with people with mental issues.

A 5/5 for me, and I hope the industry learns a lesson or two from it.

Orb

I just beat it, and wow. I'm actually crying. This game is a masterpiece. It's just.... so important. Normally I don't like
"it was all a dream"
games, but none have taken this respectful of an approach and the end being
Senua realizing that it wasn't her fault and that there was no darkness, and accepting that shes just like that
made me so happy.

I honestly wouldn't mind a sequel, or epilogue(?) mainly because of that
"Follow me in my next story"
line. It felt weirdly sequel bait-y, but IMO it's perfect the way it is as a standalone title.

I just want as many people as possible to play this game. I could relate to her super hard and it hit so close to home, but being so well written and respectful it wasn't hard to get through. I loved this game so much.

Wasn't my cup of tea. The combat is the only thing I liked, but the encounter design with hordes of enemies with a ton of health got tedious quite fast. Doesn't help that the two cool locales (
Berserk-esque river and Hella's domain
) didn't get unique encounters.

The voices where effective at the start, but then I just got used to them.

Thanks. Doesn't really change how I feel about it, but I missed the part
about her being Celt and basing these on that guy's tales.

4-ish
. I'd fix that spoiler tag.
Good catch. Thank you. Meant to spoiler, ended up quoting.

Valravn

This game was tough to experience. I don't mean tough gameplay-wise, but how you as a player, also suffer from Senua's mental illness. It caused me to become nervous, tired and also a bit angry because I wanted it to end. I think this is precisely what Ninja Theory wants you to feel playing this game. Also, Melina Juergens did an outstanding job, her performance gave me the chills sometimes.

Edit: Yes, my nickname is from the game. :) It's from Danish folklore.

Djostikk

This game was tough to experience. I don't mean tough gameplay-wise, but how you as a player, also suffer from Senua's mental illness. It caused me to become nervous, tired and also a bit angry because I wanted it to end. I think this is precisely what Ninja Theory wants you to feel playing this game. Also, Melina Juergens did an outstanding job, her performance gave me the chills sometimes.

Edit: Yes, my nickname is from the game. :) It's from Danish folklore.

I had the same feelings during my play, really hard to marathon. Cool nickname, by the way!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Druckmann approved
NGNwPV7.png

Dinda

Just finished it after about 9 hours.
i refused to give up on the last fight for like an hour or so.....)

Fantastic game, absolutely loved every second of it. Here's hoping for great commercial success for them and for Hellblade 2
and unlike someone i read in the Thread earlier i hope it will again be with Senua, love her and it makes sense to continue her story in my opinion

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Best sound of the year?
Hands down. Also the only game I can see having a chance at beating this the cinematography and editing in this game is Wolfenstein. Because holy shit are those two aspects incredibly well done. Not a single second feels like wasted time and yet these cutscenes are really long. And ofc, the use of holds on Senua that just focus on her expressions over her relaying via exposition how she's feeling, really showcases NT's complete confidence in the fidelity and animation of the game itself pushing past the uncanny valley. And then on top of that they have such an incredibly understanding of how cameras are supposed to function and always avoid camera moves that wouldn't be possible without a real camera and then ON TOP of that we get these amazing fourth wall breaks with the acknowledgement of the camera. Never seen anything like this in this medium before, only echoes of it's separate elements. MGSV attempted similar things but near constantly missed the mark but a)incredibly long and awkward holds that really don't add anything and b)every line of dialogue sounding like actors waiting for their cue instead of natural reactions to events. The fact that Senua's actress has no prior acting experience is seriously impressive.

O.DOGG

I finished it today, and it was an incredible journey. One of the most remarkable games I've played. Great work, Ninja Theory.

Capra

Regarding the final battle and the Norse connection:
At Ragnarok, each of the gods is destined to die and goes into battle knowing full well they can't avoid their fate. They fight regardless because even if they know it's hopeless they still have to try - to do anything other than struggle to the end, even against impossible odds, would be against their nature.

Something a bit more obvious but which might be overlooked in the heat of the moment: as the fight goes on, the earthquakes that stun Senua at random intervals are a callback to the lore stones describing the Death of Baldr and Binding of Loki from a few chapters earlier. The game conveys in more than one way that this battle is unwinnable, but even when I realized that I still had to fight for as long as I could just because.

The game is crashing a lot for me on the PS4 Pro. I am playing it in 60 FPS mode from an external hard disk. This is the only game that has crashed so many times now so I doubt it is my PS4 Pro at fault here.

well, i am stuck. i solved a rune puzzle (pretty early on), the rune "barrier" disappeared, but i cannot enter the door.
its the section with the "fire boss", after you solve the puzzle with the "N" and "Y" (man on a cross) runes.

I believe is the same part I got stuck too, I even reloaded the game thinking it was broken, it wasn't, you just have to press the action button (X on PS4) for a little bit for the animation to open the door happens.

Edit: On another topic, I just entered
the mountain
, how long does it take to beat the game from there? (in hours)

This game is exhausting, in a good way. Some of the best sound design I've experienced in a game, and the performances and visuals are fantastic

Currently about an hour in

This game is exhausting, in a good way. Some of the best sound design I've experienced in a game, and the performances and visuals are fantastic

I stupidly ignored the headphones suggestion in the intro and played with speakers for about 2 hours, then put the headphones on at night and holy shit, way, WAY much more immersive and atmospheric because of it. Really unsettling stuff.

Man I'm so mad. I'm close to the end and was getting all the lore stones but the then I died in an area where you cant back travel and even though I got that lore stone because I died it wasn't saved as such. Which is soooo bullshit. Now I'd have to replay most of the game just to get that 1 lorestone. I'm so frustrated right now...

The save system in this game sucks soooo badly.

Just finished about 2 hours ago. Wow what a ride. I loved this game. It's was so stressful at times. Sometimes the voices made my anxiety kick in but in an exhilarating manner. Props to NJ on making AAA indie type game with your vision.

Joeku

Just learned that Senua's actor was not actually an actor at all before this? How the fuck.
Yeah she's their video editor; was just gonna be a stand in on shooting tests while they looked for an actor. Turned out she was great and they kept her! She edited that doc that's accessible from the main menu. Pretty funny.

NightOnyx

I feel the same way. The way the audio and visuals effect you in this game is really something special. Whenever I reach an area that is peaceful and sunny, with none of the voices talking to me, it gives me almost a feeling of relief and calmness that I haven't really felt from another game before.

I just beat my first boss and I'm heading down the second branching pathway now, and I'm really loving it so far!

Reedirect

Just finished it. I'm completely floored, just... damn. What an amazing game.

Also, fuck you, Youtube, for shoving a video of the final sequence with an obligatory spoilery thumbnail in my face just because I watched some trailers for the game prior to release.

//ARCANUM

Headphones *really* are required for the full experience. That can't be stressed enough. You're doing yourself a disservice if you're playing without them, yes even on a surround setup, this game is designed for headphones from the ground up.

Headphones *really* are required for the full experience. That can't be stressed enough. You're doing yourself a disservice if you're playing without them, yes even on a surround setup, this game is designed for headphones from the ground up.
Yep. Only game I know that the "best experience with headphones" disclaimer isn't just the devs being too proud of music/sound.

Top Bottom