• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Y'know... this is the 2nd Mahvel game in a row (3 if you count Ultimate as it's own thing) with Chris in it and they still haven't given him a super where he just punches a boulder at his opponent. I can only imagine the boulder tackling isn't much of a meme in Japan so the devs didn't think of including it in his moveset in anyway.

Ghost Rider is one cheap mofo. I pulled out some bs wins with him and I'm pretty much a scrub lol.
He's pretty fun though, that damn bike.

Ghost Rider is only gonna be "cheap" against newcomers in the long run. He doesn't have many fast ways of opening people up and he isn't too good up close. Still a solid character though and miles above his Ultimate incarnation. I've enjoyed using him with Dante. #DemonHunterBois

For comparisons sake to the UK figures, SFV debuted at 2nd on the UK charts, MVC3 debuted at 3rd.

Even by Capcom's declining standards, this is bad, really, really bad. At least in the UK. Of course, there's still time to see how it performs in other markets, but the UK isn't that far removed from what's typical in NPD.

It'll be bad if it doesn't chart in NPD. I wish we still got detailed #s tho.

Neoxon

I wasn't concerned for SFV's future, but I actually am for MvCI's. I get it, it's only the UK & not the whole world. But it's still underperforming on a level that not even SFV went down to. If it charts on NPD, maybe things could be okay. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

Negaduck

Yeah. Firebrand's damage is kinda weak on his own and while Nemesis can do big damage he doesn't seem to have good combos outside the corner. Maybe I should look up another partner for Firebrand. The other characters I'm interested in checking out are Ghost Rider, Jedah, Strange, Strider, and Thanos.

I can Def speak for jedah being a solid partner. Strange or thanos sounds like a good second as well.

I wasn't concerned for SFV's future, but I actually am for MvCI's. I get it, it's only the UK & not the whole world. But it's still underperforming on a level that not even SFV went down to. If it charts on NPD, maybe thinks could be okay. But I'm not getting my hopes up.
I think you are right. While sfv underperformed financially I think it has found it's niche now. MvCI is a better game I think but gameplay alone won't save it. SfV had big graphical update, unique characters which marvel don't have. Capcom take 1 step forward by adding good sp content but then took 1000 steps backwards.

NEO0MJ

I wasn't concerned for SFV's future, but I actually am for MvCI's. I get it, it's only the UK & not the whole world. But it's still underperforming on a level that not even SFV went down to. If it charts on NPD, maybe thinks could be okay. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

At around this time SF V managed to sell 100k on steam so yeah, things are looking grim for this game sales wise.

I can Def speak for jedah being a solid partner. Strange or thanos sounds like a good second as well.

Might just go for Jedah. I'm mostly worried about trying to juggle two technical characters that move strangely but I'll see how it goes. Thanks.

I think if Capcom wants their fighters to be esports then they should release a f2p model or 20 dollar version that come with all characters and online mode.

Uh, plenty of games don't require going F2P, and that's definitely not a great solution for every single game.

It'll be a difficult month in general, considering Destiny and the like. But, again, I'll wait until Capcom starts getting desperate in terms of support before calling a time of death. If they made this shit on a budget (which they did, obviously lol), and can make money back and more with eatsports and Marvel pimping it, I don't think they care how initial sales run compared to dropping the game.

Game is getting 2 seasons of DLC at most. I'm calling it. I'd love to be wrong and eat crow but it ain't happening.

Less than 30,000 people are registered on the PSN leaderboards and that's the leading version...

MrMephistoX

I wasn't concerned for SFV's future, but I actually am for MvCI's. I get it, it's only the UK & not the whole world. But it's still underperforming on a level that not even SFV went down to. If it charts on NPD, maybe things could be okay. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

Uh, plenty of games don't require going F2P, and that's definitely not a great solution for every single game.

If it does bomb I hope they take a note from DOA5 and introduce a F2P version. Fighting is a niche genre with a rabid fanbase but to reach a wider audience F2P makes total sense. As Killer Instinct and DOA5 prove...the real money is in the DLC and costumes. MVCI is so character driven that doing something like Ryu, X, Captain Marvel and Captain America permanently free and then pay per character with a rotating roster on would be a perfect excuse to test the waters out. You'd think arcade devs of all people would see the merit in milking the audience a "quarter" at a time...if memory serves DOA5 wasn't selling that well but has really taken off since they introduced Core Fighters. Have to admit I'm being selfish here because the only way I can see the game surviving and getting a huge roster is by going this route...what does Capcom have to lose?

Hell if it means the difference between getting Darkstalkers and VF6 or not F2P is the only way...

Negaduck

At around this time SF V managed to sell 100k on steam so yeah, things are looking grim for this game sales wise.

Might just go for Jedah. I'm mostly worried about trying to juggle two technical characters that move strangely but I'll see how it goes. Thanks.

Well, I think of it this way. I'll probably play this game everyday for the next 6+ years.

Learning a highly technical character? I have nothing but time.

Edit:

I think the success of this game will be all word of mouth and seeing people play it. Capcom dropped the ball advertising wise so in order for copies to move, the community that loves it needs to help (for those that genuinely love the game or want to support marvel).

Hopefully this game has a nice climb. This is a marathon not a race.

Well, I think of it this way. I'll probably play this game everyday for the next 6+ years.

Learning a highly technical character? I have nothing but time.

Edit:

I think the success of this game will be all word of mouth and seeing people play it. Capcom dropped the ball advertising wise so in order for copies to move, the community that loves it needs to help (for those that genuinely love the game or want to support marvel).

Hopefully this game has a nice climb. This is a marathon not a race.

That's a good and bad thing. The bad news is that it's reliant upon Marvel, Capcom, and the community's support in grabbing and keeping people.

The good news is that Capcom at least doesn't seem to be shying away from big events and can get a steady stream of sales from their little gem tourney alone (already people are like "man that shit was hype, maybe I'll pick up a copy), Black Friday deals, Marvel pushing their shit around their channels, and the community being able to showcase what the game can do on a constant basis. It'll be hard for this game to have good sales, but it will at least have a steady drip of sales going. With that, esports, and DLC, they'll be fine. Obviously this straddles a line that should make them consider their problematic areas in ful.

LegendX48

Y'know... this is the 2nd Mahvel game in a row (3 if you count Ultimate as it's own thing) with Chris in it and they still haven't given him a super where he just punches a boulder at his opponent. I can only imagine the boulder tackling isn't much of a meme in Japan so the devs didn't think of including it in his moveset in anyway.
That would've been great, and fitting especially as Hulk calls him rock puncher.

But Jill Sandwich and "Master of unlocking".

They gave haggar a barrel, chris needs that boulder!

That's a good and bad thing. The bad news is that it's reliant upon Marvel, Capcom, and the community's support in grabbing and keeping people.

The good news is that Capcom at least doesn't seem to be shying away from big events and can get a steady stream of sales from their little gem tourney alone (already people are like "man that shit was hype, maybe I'll pick up a copy), Black Friday deals, Marvel pushing their shit around their channels, and the community being able to showcase what the game can do on a constant basis. It'll be hard for this game to have good sales, but it will at least have a steady drip of sales going. With that, esports, and DLC, they'll be fine. Obviously this straddles a line that should make them consider their problematic areas in ful.

The big question is if Marvel will let Capcom stick with it. They can just pull the rug under them whenever they want.

Back when the PS4 Spidey game was announced, Marvel made a point that they were serious about getting into the console games business and releasing games that meet a quality threshold but so far whether they're being honest about that is up for debate. If they were really serious, don't you think they put some money into Infinite, instead of just letting broke-ass Capcom make a budget game that potentially does their properties a disservice with ugly character models, bland menus, and a laughable story?

Like, sure, the gameplay is on point, but the presentation aspects, which you'd think Marvel would consider very serious, are lacking big time. If someone weren't watching the slick gameplay and just saw the the visuals, they'd think this was pathetic when compared to Injustice 2, which Warner Bros clearly put a ton of money into.

So to recap:

- Marvel doesn't seem to have helped fund the game, even though it clearly needed to money

- Marvel oversaw production of the game to at least some extent and were content with the game's lackluster presentation

- Marvel must have heard outcry not just from fighting game players, but casual gamers as well that the game looked ugly/lacked characters/lacked personality and were okay with Capcom shipping the game as is

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Marvel just takes the L and tells Capcom sometime next year that they have to close production on future content and just drop the game.

Wallach

Thanos' Palm Breaker Loop Tutorial
https://youtu.be/RUSaRnd-EIQ

One thing worth pointing out about this loop (and other similar dash loops) is that if you're using HP for your loop like this, you can essentially just use the dash binding (LP + HP) more than once, because if you hit that binding out of a dash, it will come out as HP.

I.E., let's call the LP + HP binding D, the input for this loop can be done a little more easily by inputting:

j -> HP -> fHP (hold forward) -> fD -> fD

JayEH

One thing worth pointing out about this loop (and other similar dash loops) is that if you're using HP for your like this, you can essentially just use the dash binding (LP + HP) more than once, because if you hit that binding out of a dash, it will come out as HP.

I.E., let's call the LP + HP binding D, the input for this loop can be done a little more easily by inputting:

j -> HP -> fHP (hold forward) -> fD -> fD

Yeah I've been using that trick. Very handy.

F2P means expanding servers, making content to justify providing an entire game for free, and so on. That is a games-as-a-service model and Capcom doesn't have the manpower, focus, or plans to do that.

The big question is if Marvel will let Capcom stick with it. They can just pull the rug under them whenever they want.

Back when the PS4 Spidey game was announced, Marvel made a point that they were serious about getting into the console games business and releasing games that meet a quality threshold but so far whether they're being honest about that is up for debate. If they were really serious, don't you think they put some money into Infinite, instead of just letting broke-ass Capcom make a budget game that potentially does their properties a disservice with ugly character models, bland menus, and a laughable story?

Like, sure, the gameplay is on point, but the presentation aspects, which you'd think Marvel would consider very serious, are lacking big time. If someone weren't watching the slick gameplay and just saw the the visuals, they'd think this was pathetic when compared to Injustice 2, which Warner Bros clearly put a ton of money into.

So to recap:

- Marvel doesn't seem to have helped fund the game, even though it clearly needed to money

- Marvel oversaw production of the game to at least some extent and were content with the game's lackluster presentation

- Marvel must have heard outcry not just from fighting game players, but casual gamers as well that the game looked ugly/lacked characters/lacked personality and were okay with Capcom shipping the game as is

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Marvel just takes the L and tells Capcom sometime next year that they have to close production on future content and just drop the game.

Things like this are on a contract, though. They can't just pull out whenever. They can just choose not to get back on board and provide anything else from their sector.

And it's not like Marvel is absolved of making total quality products. They've pumped out garbage on the regular. They have never cared like WB has. And they probably saw that this could be a possible trickle in situation that they don't have to commit much to. Obviously Marvel cares only so much, else they'd provide better characters to use on their side, so it's not like these dudes are gonna suddenly drop the game because they've been lackluster on their side to when they've already been lackluster.

That is, again, assuming esports and marketing deals go off, because Marvel would get a cut of that pie as well.

MrMephistoX

Capcom is a business, not a charity.

That’s not being charitable it’s smart business Killer Instinct and DOA5 are making money on hardcore gamers like us buying the definitive editions up front and through DLC because the barrier to entry is low. MVCi could easily beat 10,000,000 downloads with much broader name recognition than DOA.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/09/24/doa5-last-round-core-fighters-hits-10m/

Can't find anything current on KI but 6 million unique players in March 3 years after it launched is nothing to sneeze at.
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/apr/15/6-million-unique-players-played-killer-instinct-during-march-microsoft-reports-franchise-rises-all-time-high/

Neonep

If it doesn't chart on NPD then Capcom has some problems on its hands.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Game is getting 2 seasons of DLC at most. I'm calling it. I'd love to be wrong and eat crow but it ain't happening.

Less than 30,000 people are registered on the PSN leaderboards and that's the leading version...

The game bombed but it didn't sell 30k on PS4. We know for a fact it sold at least 25k on steam last time someone checked steamspy, PS4 is probably 10 times that. Don't get me wrong, 250k would still be a mega bomba but let's not get carried away.

HardRojo

Game clearly needed to be delayed till Q2 next year along with some stuff anyone would be able to tell you:
  • Highly requested characters like: Wolverine, Magneto, Cyclops and a few more newcomers that would make this game look less like a remake of UMvC3
  • Current DLC characters added to the base roster
  • Huge marketing push along with improved presentation (UI, proper character reveal trailers, proper demo events with big promotion in social networks, etc.)
  • Improved graphics to give the game more of a distinguishable artstyle, rather than a dull one
  • More money from Marvel
Still getting it next week (Deluxe Edition even), but come the fuck on! After SFV's disastrous launch Capcom had to know they couldn't fuck up another fighting game's launch, it really boggles my mind that they managed to screw up like this.

JayEH

The game bombed but it didn't sell 30k on PS4. We know for a fact it sold at least 25k on steam last time someone checked steamspy, PS4 is probably 10 times that. Don't get me wrong, 250k would still be a mega bomba but let's not get carried away.

Hard time believing 250k bought it on PS4 but only 30k are online...

I checked the leaderboards on Saturday and it legit had somewhere around 25k people on it and nearly 10k of those people listed didn't even have any online points (so it's not like you even need to play an online match in order to be put on the laderboards).

I knew this game wasn't going to sell well but I didn't think it would bomb this badly. I wish it did well but it didn't and I really don't think we'll get more than 2 seasons worth of DLC (if that!).

That’s not being charitable it’s smart business Killer Instinct and DOA5 are making money on hardcore gamers like us buying the definitive editions up front and through DLC because the barrier to entry is low. MVCi could easily beat 10,000,000 downloads with much broader name recognition than DOA.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/09/24/doa5-last-round-core-fighters-hits-10m/

Can't find anything current on KI but 6 million unique players in March 3 years after it launched is nothing to sneeze at.
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/apr/15/6-million-unique-players-played-killer-instinct-during-march-microsoft-reports-franchise-rises-all-time-high/
Neither game has the full roster for free. Both average around $40.

Releasing MvCI for free with Ryu, X, Tony, and Carol and then charging $3-5 per additional character would make sense, though.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Hard time believing 250k bought it on PS4 but only 30k are online...

On average, 5-10% of total audiences will usually even play online matches in most broad appeal fighting games. Although, I feel only the hardcore really bought MVCI so it could be more in this scenario.

jett

D-Member
Game clearly needed to be delayed till Q2 next year along with some stuff anyone would be able to tell you:
  • Highly requested characters like: Wolverine, Magneto, Cyclops and a few more newcomers that would make this game look less like a remake of UMvC3
  • Current DLC characters added to the base roster
  • Huge marketing push along with improved presentation (UI, proper character reveal trailers, proper demo events with big promotion in social networks, etc.)
  • Improved graphics to give the game more of a distinguishable artstyle, rather than a dull one
  • More money from Marvel
Still getting it next week (Deluxe Edition even), but come the fuck on! After SFV's disastrous launch Capcom had to know they couldn't fuck up another fighting game's launch, it really boggles my mind that they managed to screw up like this.

Capcom hasn't really screwed up anything this time.

Online works without issues.
Matchmaking/netcode is apparently better than it has ever been on SFV.
It launched feature complete with plenty of single-player options.

Mahvel doesn't deserve half the negativity SFV deservedly got for launching with a broken-ass online mode, fucked up servers, and in a virtual early access state.

On average, 5-10% of total audiences will usually even play online matches in most broad appeal fighting games. Although, I feel only the hardcore really bought MVCI so it could be more in this scenario.

You don't have to have even played an online match in order to be put on the leaderboard though.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Capcom hasn't really screwed up anything this time.

Online works without issues.
Matchmaking/netcode is apparently better than it has ever been on SFV.
It launched feature complete with plenty of single-player options.

Mahvel doesn't deserve half the negativity SFV deservedly got for launching with a broken-ass online mode and in a virtual early access state.

They absolutely screwed up with this, tho? Like the PR and marketing were bad. Like real bad.

patchday

PS4 leaderboards have never been an accurate measure of anything since a lot of people play offline plus you can disable the PS4 from pushing usuage data & trophies

SaikyoBro

I got the trophy for reaching 10th rank and still don’t have the one for fighting every character online, amazing.

I have no idea who it could be, Hulk I think?? Really strange.

Top Bottom