• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Magnus

Oh wow, legit Arceus being given away via Dream World/Entralink for only two more days? I'm almost done the process of registering for all this shit and going to see if it shows up in the Entree Forest as planned. Haven't tried this before!

Edit-

Wow, that was so painless, lol. Awesome!

MikeMyers

Am I the only one who dislikes the Red & Blue remakes? It just irks me more than it should, such as the Fossil Pokemon being available at Level 5 instead of 30. Guess I'm just blinded by nostalgia.

BalrogTheMaster

Neo Member
Am I the only one who dislikes the Red & Blue remakes? It just irks me more than it should, such as the Fossil Pokemon being available at Level 5 instead of 30. Guess I'm just blinded by nostalgia.

I don't think that many people like FR/LG, lol. The remixes were meh, sprite animations were still missing, and the Sevii Islands were uninspired.

I don't think that many people like FR/LG, lol. The remixes were meh, sprite animations were still missing, and the Sevii Islands were uninspired.

I really like the Sevii Islands. My big complaint about HGSS is that they don't really have any new areas with the ambition of the Sevii Islands.

If the rumoured extra content for BW2 was a Sevii Islands- style area, I'd be over the moon.

OMG Aero

Also, no worrying about Natures and Evs either. I loved not thinking "God damnit I got an Impish Abra" or "I can train my Bellsprout against Onix..oh wait, now I'm going to get Defense Evs". -_-

That has nothing to do with the remakes. You can still play the games without worrying about those.

MikeMyers

Another thing, I miss Venusaur's epic Razor Leaf that always CH.

And what's up with Sabrina in the remake? Every time i fought her all she did was spam Future Sight.

backlot

That has nothing to do with the remakes. You can still play the games without worrying about those.

You can try to not worry about it but in the back of your mind you'll always know.

I like the originals better too. Much less complicated. I also thought the Sevii Islands were pretty boring.

Gravijah

Virdiran Forest RBY
Virdiran Forest FR/LG

See how much better the music is in this original?

Also, no worrying about Natures and Evs either. I loved not thinking "God damnit I got an Impish Abra" or "I can train my Bellsprout against Onix..oh wait, now I'm going to get Defense Evs". -_-

i prefer the frlg ost. it also ups the ante on silph co.

and i don't really worry about natures, EVs or IVs when playing through normally. the only thing i try to do is get a neutral nature or one that doesn't hinder important stats.

Serious

I do pay attention to natures, no point denying that, but I really honestly don't pay attention to EVs when just going through the game. The way I see if, it's not worth going through the hassle worrying about EVs when they probably have bad IVs anyway. The only Pokemon I bother EV training properly are the ones I've personally bred.

Aggrotek

Oh wow, legit Arceus being given away via Dream World/Entralink for only two more days? I'm almost done the process of registering for all this shit and going to see if it shows up in the Entree Forest as planned. Haven't tried this before!

Edit-

Wow, that was so painless, lol. Awesome!

How do I do this?! I need Arceus....

I HATE the FR/LG remakes. HG/SS were solid, but FR/LG was just a mess. Especially the Champion theme. Sounds so much better in the originals.

upandaway

How do I do this?! I need Arceus....

wMSgr.png

Happening Now! As a result of a recent popularity poll, from February 2 until May 1 an Arceus will be available in the Dream World via the Pokémon Global Link. It is level 100 and has no special moves or Hidden Ability. The password necessary to access this Arceus for all non-Japanese games is ARCEUSVOTE.
Poor Andrex, all that hard work.

Aggrotek

for the next pokemon thread, we should have someone other than andrex post the op... him and his bannings.

are you named after the genre of music

Yeppers. :)

And the reason I asked about the Arceus is because I've never used the DW or Global Link thing at all...

Virdiran Forest RBY
Virdiran Forest FR/LG

FR/LG version isn't as mysterious, but it is more richly-arranged to a degree that I prefer it. A good deal of the FR/LG rearranging is actually pretty good, though there are some stand-out meh-moments.

Wiseblade

Virdiran Forest RBY
Virdiran Forest FR/LG

1) I think the FR/LG soudtrack is generally better than the original, the are definitely some tracks that overshoot "rich" and land firmly in "busy" territory. Viridian Forest, however, isn't one3 of them. It's mostly the battle themes, especially the Champion battle theme that hafve too much going on. Which is desappointing since, battle themes are arguably the most important song in the game and definitely the ones you'll hear the most.

2) You say that as if there aren't EV/IV equivalent mechanics (which are much worse) in RBY. Regardless, lacking things like Natures and EVs is definitely a negative. Why would you want to lose the characteristics that make each Pokémon unique?

Oxx

As is usually the case, I'm only really getting into the 'current' Pokemon game once the next one has been announced.

I only put about 6 hours into Black when it was released, but now that the sequels are imminent I think it's time to make some progress. I just beat the third gym.

Younicorn

Neo Member
Would anyone be interested in helping me trade away my Kadabra and my Staryu (holding a water stone) and trade them back to me so I can have the evolved form?

I'm trying to do this tomorrow (Monday), so if anyone is available and has a HG/SS cartridge, let me know- it'd be a BIG help!

Would anyone be interested in helping me trade away my Kadabra and my Staryu (holding a water stone) and trade them back to me so I can have the evolved form?

I'm trying to do this tomorrow (Monday), so if anyone is available and has a HG/SS cartridge, let me know- it'd be a BIG help!

You just need to use the water stone on Staryu to evolve it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
doing a solo-run of Pokemon Diamond with a Torterra.

At Iron Island right now. Level 64. :p

backlot

2) You say that as if there aren't EV/IV equivalent mechanics (which are much worse) in RBY. Regardless, lacking things like Natures and EVs is definitely a negative. Why would you want to lose the characteristics that make each Pokémon unique?

The natures and IV's and all that are great great for multiplayer but if you're just playing single player it sucks having to worry about if your starter got poor nature for an important stat. And if you're looking at it from this point of view I'd disagree that the EV mechanics are worse. You're not limited to 510 total EV's so it doesn't matter if you waste a bunch in a stat you won't use.

Aggrotek

So I managed to send Arceus to my friendboard? I think thats what it's called... But I can't connect to the Wireless because my router isn't compatible with Nintendo WFC. Will my Arceus stay there til I claim it or will it disappear on May 1? :(

Wiseblade

The natures and IV's and all that are great great for multiplayer but if you're just playing single player it sucks having to worry about if your starter got poor nature for an important stat. And if you're looking at it from this point of view I'd disagree that the EV mechanics are worse. You're not limited to 510 total EV's so it doesn't matter if you waste a bunch in a stat you won't use.

If you're "just playing the single player" then you don't need to worry about any of that stuff at all. there isn't a person in the world who can't beat a Pokémon game because some of their team has the 'wrong' nature or they didn't invest enough EVs in a certain stat.

Instead all that stuff along with some other serve as unique identifiers for your Pokémon. If you looked at two un-nicknamed Zubats from Red/Blue, the only differentiating features would be the Trainer name, ID and some minor variations in stats. If you did the same in FRLG there'd be so much more like where it was caught and at what level, the gender, the nature, IV-based flavour text and any ribbons it might have. In other words, it's the difference between having a zubat, and having your zubat.

I'm pretty sure I've made this same argument in this thread before...

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
IVs really aren't that bad.

Thanks to hold items, you can pass on the nature you want and one of the IVs you want, guaranteed. Aiming for perfect IVs in 3-4 stats along with the right nature isn't really that difficult, it's when you get into 5 or 6 stats it becomes insane...

Or getting a legendary that doesn't have shitty IVs...

backlot

If you're "just playing the single player" then you don't need to worry about any of that stuff at all. there isn't a person in the world who can't beat a Pokémon game because some of their team has the 'wrong' nature or they didn't invest enough EVs in a certain stat.

Instead all that stuff along with some other serve as unique identifiers for your Pokémon. If you looked at two un-nicknamed Zubats from Red/Blue, the only differentiating features would be the Trainer name, ID and some minor variations in stats. If you did the same in FRLG there'd be so much more like where it was caught and at what level, the gender, the nature, IV-based flavour text and any ribbons it might have. In other words, it's the difference between having a zubat, and having your zubat.

I'm pretty sure I've made this same argument in this thread before...

I guess I don't particularly care if flavor text says my Zubat is any different than another Zubat. It just kind of annoys me when I play the newer games and catch a -Attack nature Darumaka or that I have to catch 3 different Marill's just to get one with the good ability. I guess R/B's way of doing things isn't necessarily better but it's just more fun for me than having to spin a roulette wheel every time I catch a Pokemon and hope it ends up how I want it.

Top Bottom