• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

Crackdown 3 is gonna be the title they push the most at E3. I also think they'll pack in the H6 beta as some of you have speculated. CD is one of those games Xbox guys have been wanting a sequel to for a long time. Out of all their other games it has the potential to shine most but it's gonna come down to the quality of the title and the execution of the marketing.

I think both Crackdown and State of Decay have potential but, yeah, it depends on how well MS shows them and how well they market them. I don't know if they will be big hits or anything but they can certainly perform decent. They don't have to underperform or bomb.

I think both Crackdown and State of Decay have potential but, yeah, it depends on how well MS shows them and how well they market them. I don't know if they will be big hits or anything but they can certainly perform decent. They don't have to underperform or bomb.
Yup as long as they perform decent that's some success for MS considering how their other efforts haven't done that well. If they perform decent that gives some confidence in those titles continuing to exist in the portfolio.

Dynomutt

C91TAakUMAAyY9Q.jpg

Saw this on Twitter!

Honestly I hope MS brings Blinx back or a greta platformer from Rare.

Zeta Oni

C91TAakUMAAyY9Q.jpg

Saw this on Twitter!

I would enjoy seeing a new Blinx, the first one had a lot of potential from what I can remember.

This is why OG Xbox ports/BC is important though...

Get Blinx and Blinx 2 playable on Xbox One/Scorpio, then track the interest in the game to see if its worthy of being bought back. Longtime fans get a bone to chew on, new fans get to experience some Xbox classics, and MS gets to see which IP from yesteryear they should invest in.

Papacheeks

Banned
I would enjoy seeing a new Blinx, the first one had a lot of potential from what I can remember.

This is why OG Xbox ports/BC is important though...

Get Blinx and Blinx 2 playable on Xbox One/Scorpio, then track the interest in the game to see if its worthy of being bought back. Longtime fans get a bone to chew on, new fans get to experience some Xbox classics, and MS gets to see which IP from yesteryear they should invest in.

Issue is if they are not updated control wise and are straight up just ports it's hard to gauge excitement from that. Your better off doing a remake/remaster like what crash is doing with tweaked controls, redone graphics, character models.

Voo-doo vince isn't lighting the charts on fire, and neither will phantom dust after looking at that game.
You need a fresh re-do on those games to help bring them up to gaming standards of now.
If crash trilogy was just ports of PS1 games I don't think people would be as jazzed for them.

Zeta Oni

Issue is if they are not updated control wise and are straight up just ports it's hard to gauge excitement from that. Your better off doing a remake/remaster like what crash is doing with tweaked controls, redone graphics, character models.

Voo-doo vince isn't lighting the charts on fire, and neither will phantom dust after looking at that game.
You need a fresh re-do on those games to help bring them up to gaming standards of now.
If crash trilogy was just ports of PS1 games I don't think people would be as jazzed for them.

Its not really about setting the charts on fire, its about building and maintaining an ecosystem, pleasing longtime fans, and keeping their history as console maker available for the future. I'm not sure anyone is expecting Phantom Dust to come out on top of the NPD or anything like that, not even the people who are large fans of the series and probably not even MS, because it was always a niche title. As for your second point, speaking frankly these titles are no Halo or Fable, they wouldn't sell enough to be worth the cost of making a "Anniversary"-style remaster like that, and using Crash is a terrible example. Crash existed before the Xbox was even a thing, and was way more popular than many of these niche Xbox titles I'm referring too.

EvB

About 200~ people, according to LinkedIn.

And Rare is a multiple project studio, even now. Sea of Thieves is likely their chief priority, but they are working on other stuff too.

Battletoads is often the go-to rumoured project #2 from Rare, no thanks to the abundance of T-Shirts.

They also have multiple studios

Thank you, Wedzi. Yes, that is the logic & type of metric often employed behind publishing efforts for everyone in the industry, not just 1st party. Your assessment of the situation is also correct.

Papacheeks

Banned
Its not really about setting the charts on fire, its about building and maintaining an ecosystem, pleasing longtime fans, and keeping their history as console maker available for the future. I'm not sure anyone is expecting Phantom Dust to come out on top of the NPD or anything like that, not even the people who are large fans of the series and probably not even MS, because it was always a niche title. As for your second point, speaking frankly these titles are no Halo or Fable, they wouldn't sell enough to be worth the cost of making a "Anniversary"-style remaster like that, and using Crash is a terrible example. Crash existed before the Xbox was even a thing, and was way more popular than many of these niche Xbox titles I'm referring too.

Putting out a port with it's control flaws and dated camera among other things does not do the game justice.
Why not do a remake with a team like bluepoint and price the game accordingly($39). If made correctly not only would it do well, it would help diversify xbox's library.
Putting out ports all it does is put out a old game that may not play well by today's standards so the only people even willing to buy it are just die hard nostalgia.

Ratchet and clank had in essence a reboot with the latest game, because of the flawed ones like Assault, and All 4 one that didn't sell well and kind of sullied the brand.
You put Blinx out in the state it;s in with higher res and some up rezzed textures it's not going to be recieved well just like Voo-doo vince. And all that does is sully any potential for those games to be in a good light again.

Stragers wrath wasn't a big game on xbox and didn't light the world on fire. But it got a HD remaster that I think when all was said and done did alright.
Blinx needs a really good remaster or to be a complete remake for a new generation. You will get people who remember that game to buy it and people who have never heard of it to as well especially for kids.
Putting those games out now like Voo-doo in the state of just a somewhat lazy remaster just shows you all the issues it had back then in a nice resolution.

Also you say crash is big which it is, but you think Loco roco is huge? But got a remaster.

Strengthening the xbox brand and software should be at the highest priority not just trying to please the declining hardcore audience.

I'm getting pretty antsy myself. I'm ready for some game announcements and big threads. This is usually around the time that hype starts settling in for me anyway.

blakep267

Never forget them pushing a Forza car and nameless/customizable Fable Legends guy as Xbox icons

cb5a2622-31bb-4659-b4e4-47145bb5da20.jpg
The car was the car that they lowered during the conference and was the car on the box art. The Fable character was sterling, one of the legends characters and also the character on the box( compare him to tracer)

Gestault

Never forget them pushing a Forza car and nameless/customizable Fable Legends guy as Xbox icons

cb5a2622-31bb-4659-b4e4-47145bb5da20.jpg

Acting like Forza and Fable aren't iconic Xbox series (which had new titles coming at that point) is being obtuse. The Ford GT was a visible part of that year's Forza push, and the Fable guy was a "hero" character class.

peppers

I think part of the reason for not having shown, say, State of Decay 2 gameplay is that they will probably paint a better picture of what these games are at E3 (Phil did say something along those lines recently). If they believed that an outlet could do a better job than them at showing these games off they would have done the same thing as last year with Gears4 and this year with Scorpio and DF.

Acting like Forza and Fable aren't iconic Xbox series (which had new titles coming at that point) is being obtuse. The Ford GT was a visible part of that year's Forza push, and the Fable guy was a "hero" character class.
I never said they weren't. I said a car and whoever the hell Sterling is don't belong alongside gaming icons like the other 3

blakep267

I never said they weren't. I said a car and whoever the hell Sterling is don't belong alongside gaming icons like the other 3
It doesn't have anything to do with icons. It was the supposed gaming line up for the rest of 2015. It's not titled "gaming icons". It's called the greatest line up yadda yadda yadda

Lazaro

C91TAakUMAAyY9Q.jpg

Saw this on Twitter!

I really hope there's some sort of OG Xbox emulation/recompiling etc. work going on at Microsoft Studios, my OG Xbox is practically dying (HDD and DVD drive issues) and I kinda want to avoid doing a TSOP flash.

Hopefully Phil Spencers twitter profile pic is some sort of teaser of what is to come, similar to how Major Nelson's Neogaf avatar Voodoo Vince was a teaser for the VV remaster.

FelipeMGM

I mean I don't know what to tell you dude. He's the main character on the box art and the first character that gets introduced during the E3 2014 demo. He's supposed to be the face of the game

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=caZbN6mkJ7s

Nothing to do with what you guys are talking about but, watching this video saddens me. The visuals and animations of Fable Legends are amazing.

Just a hurtful reminder of how amazing a tradional Fable game built like this could be.

blakep267

Nothing to do with what you guys are talking about but, watching this video saddens me. The visuals and animations of Fable Legends are amazing.

Just a hurtful reminder of how amazing a tradional Fable game built like this could be.
Yeah. It was a beautiful game. Just needed to be something else. Like Legends could've been the MP mode to an actual Fable game. Sort of like how Mas Effect Andromedas MP doesn't carry over any of your weapons or stuff and instead there are character templates

Do you think VooDoo Vince's dev expected it to light the charts on fire? It's a labor of love re-done in his spare time after he got off work at Microsoft.

Crash is done by an actual team and published by a mega publisher: My god have some perspective.

Dehnus

C91TAakUMAAyY9Q.jpg

Saw this on Twitter!

B.. Blinx... DAMNIT! That could pull me back in!

CURSE YOU MS!

Blinx Sama is my Neko!

I tried it with cats from the pounds, putting little vacuums on them, and hoodies, I just end up with scratched arms. I need my TimeSweeper Fix.

shanew21

I fully believe that Crackdown can be a system seller if it's made well and marketed well. The first one was a whole lot of fun. This one needs love and attention.

Papacheeks

Banned
Do you think VooDoo Vince's dev expected it to light the charts on fire? It's a labor of love re-done in his spare time after he got off work at Microsoft.

Crash is done by an actual team and published by a mega publisher: My god have some perspective.

I get it, about how that game got made. But isn't that my point? The fact that MS has such a tight hold on xbox division that something like bringing a game like Blinx, voo-doo, mech assault, kung fu chaos can't be made with at least a somewhat full team is telling on how they don't give a shit?
It took someone who really has history and was really attached to the game to do it on a close to nothing budget for it to get into the hands of gamers.

You'd think Microsoft would have a little more pride like the developer did and have games from the same era but maybe easier to sell get green lit. If their developers have this kind of passion for these games that were from a time where creativity was at a ll time high you would think maybe throwing them a bone or a budget with a decent studio/staff would be something Microsoft would see as a plus.
It's the issue they have and will have coming this E3, until higher ups can align with the people on the ground running xbox division thing's are not going to get green lit or budget money.

And right now that's what needs to happen.

Montresor

I'm still early in Voodoo Vince but the game is pretty awesome so far.

In a nostalgic way it reminds me of being a kid again. Well, young adult.

I was all in on the Gamecube during the OG Xbox gen so I never played any OG Xbox games but damn Voodoo Vince reminds me of a Nintendo game from that gen.

So whether or not Microsoft had pride regarding this IP, they ended up releasing a solid console exclusive.

Again I'm still early in the game though.

EmiPrime

I'm still hoping that the OG Xbox logo Spencer has used as his Twitter avatar for the last 6 months is a sign of good things to come on the OG Xbox front.

I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment.

FelipeMGM

Yeah. It was a beautiful game. Just needed to be something else. Like Legends could've been the MP mode to an actual Fable game. Sort of like how Mas Effect Andromedas MP doesn't carry over any of your weapons or stuff and instead there are character templates

That would've been a great package

Zedox

I'm still hoping that the OG Xbox logo Spencer has used as his Twitter avatar for the last 6 months is a sign of good things to come on the OG Xbox front.

I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment.

He's already explained the OG Xbox logo was to remind him where they (xbox) came from.

labaronx

That couldve pleased everyone

Mifune

Mehmber
I hope Spencer takes another crack at a game with Obsidian. We know they're working on a console game (based on Linkedin), so maybe this is the mysterious Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky project that the studio head has teased?

If I had to guess it's a new IP for Bethesda but you never know.

Probably full, if I had to guess. Does it even have PvP?

From the Crackdown website: "Developed by original creator Dave Jones, Crackdown 3 will deliver cooperative chaos and an all-new multiplayer mode where destruction is your ultimate weapon against friends and rivals online."

Electret

I think he's probably referring to their possession of multiple barns. But I think it's misleading to suggest they've got multiple games in development or that they're a new IP factory and just leave it at that. Shinobi, I believe, suggested they were all hands on deck on SoT, and him - or someone else - added that other projects may be in progress but merely as prototypes. I don't think they're full steam ahead on multiple projects right now, at least not multiple AAA titles.

Top Bottom