• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

vivekTO

Is it just me or is this you confirming that Microsoft has no unannounced games (other than obvious titles like Halo 6, Forza 7, etc...)?

That has to be wrong, no? Does anyone really believe Microosft has not a single new unannounced game? You really think there won't be a new "Recore" type new IP or Ori sequel or anything like that?

Shinobi also hinted Something like that, he hadn't heard of any "new" developments. That doesn't mean No ori Sequel as its 100% in the works, but something like New Sunset Overdrive or Ryse like Game.

Pretty sure he said Scorpio was getting delayed too, haven't put much faith in sneakers in a while tbh.

But I do wish some mod would start vetting people, the amount of "insiders" popping up recently is getting out on hand (There's been a good amount of them not just sneakers). Without Bish seems like people can spew whatever they want. Only insider worth listening to IMO is Shinobi and I guess now Jez Corden,

What happened to Bish?

blakep267

Shinobi also hinted Something like that, he hadn't heard of any "new" developments. That doesn't mean No ori Sequel as its 100% in the works, but something like New Sunset Overdrive or Ryse like Game.
Shinobi said he didn't hear anything/doesn't know about anything. He never said nothing was happening. That what Sneakers is doing

I think we all know they aren't going to have an additional AAA game this fall. Even Phil has said that

vivekTO

Shinobi said he didn't hear anything/doesn't know about anything. He never said nothing was happening. That what Sneakers is doing

I think we all know they aren't going to have an additional AAA game this fall. Even Phil has said that

I'll try to find the Tweet or the post, I thinks its time at the DF scorpio reveal, he actually says something simillar , not just He don't know anything.

MCD

MS stuff usually leaks. So if there is something in development...

But this time a lot of stuff didn't leak like the hardware design so...shit.

Pretty sure he said Scorpio was getting delayed too, haven't put much faith in sneakers in a while tbh.

But I do wish some mod would start vetting people, the amount of "insiders" popping up recently is getting out on hand (There's been a good amount of them not just sneakers). Without Bish seems like people can spew whatever they want. Only insider worth listening to IMO is Shinobi and I guess now Jez Corden,

I think that might have been another user by the name of CCIE. That user was banned. Although not sure if he hinted at the same in the thread.

Jez is very reliable. His information was spot on and we know that because of the DF articles that followed up a few weeks later. Users on here gave him a ton of shit.

Side note Jez said the planning for the next Xbox system has already started.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jezcorden/status/856225035777953793

JlNX

To be fair the only reason we got leaks last year was because MS couldn't secure their own internal server, not because they were a leaky ship. If they've fixed the server I'm expecting a lead lined boat.

Not too dog pile, but this is my issue too. It's painfully obvious MS scorned him in some way at a studio he used to develop or currently develops at. Literally only pops up in topics to spread doom and gloom information, and is absent from any "positive" thread or sharing positive information. Would have been great to have his advanced insight about Phantom Dust information, maybe some new information on how Crackdown is looking, or what State of Decay has in store. Instead we just get negative takes.

Maybe MS took a game they were working on as an exclusive and denied a childhood dream of developing for Ouya or Switch

I laughed and got sad at the same time. :(

It's a shame the game wasn't given more time to cook, but I am at least glad they are revisiting/continuing to improve it. Improved FR, HDR, load times, details, content etc will be great.

Yeah, I joke about it, but I really did enjoy my time with the game. With proper time I'm sure Armature can put out a great product. The core gameplay is fantastic. It's just everything else that's lagging behind.

vivekTO

You forget that Shinboi is coming at it from his own personal view, were he prefers story based games. If all the games in development are similar to SOT and crackdown then he is obviously not going to be enthused.

I think the question asked is About the E3 Lineup or something for which he made the tweet not about the games he was interested on Xbox. Maybe he was talking about his interests , as i can't find the exact tweet he was replying to ,Than my apologies.

blakep267

On the IGN podcast, Phil said if people are thinking I'm hiding a new AAA game in my pocket for this fall, that's probably not gonna happen but they will have other unannounced stuff

I think the question asked is About the E3 Lineup or something for which he made the tweet not about the games he was interested on Xbox. Maybe he was talking about his interests , as i can't find the exact tweet he was replying to ,Than my apologies.
I took that to be talking about stuff like Persona or Nier.

JlNX

i think the Question Asked is About the E3 Lineup or Something for which he made the Tweet not about the Games he was interested on Xbox. Maybe he was talking about his interests , as i can't find the Exact tweet he was replying to ,Than my apologies.

I remember the question, it wasn't about E3 but someone asking about his personal opinion on the future of MS studios. Which is why I bring up the fact that Shinobi's opinion is going to depend on story based games being an interest for Microsoft. That's more than likely why his says diversity in the lineup is important not quantity, he probably see's a lot of multiplayer, GAAS or all around not story focused games in development. You have seen the way Shinobi has responded to some publishers like Ubisoft moving away from story based games.

vivekTO

I remember the question, it wasn't about E3 but someone asking about his personal opinion on the future of MS studios. Which is why I bring up the fact that Shinobi's opinion is going to depend on story based games being an interest for Microsoft. That's more than likely why his says diversity in the lineup is important not quantity, he probably see's a lot of multiplayer, GAAS or all around not story focused games in development. You have seen the way Shinobi has responded to some publishers like Ubisoft moving away from story based games.

You might be right.Could you link the tweet. Also as far as I know He was pretty interested in the Crackdown,I don't know if he said otherwise.

I took that to be talking about stuff like Persona or Nier.

Actually that is what i was replying to in my earlier post that The games like ori sequel will be there but won't Expect Sunset Overdrive or Ryse like Games. Which as a Single Player guy is very crucial.

Papacheeks

Banned

But with success in this generation with a decent amount of third/first party story based games or single player campaigns. Is it hard to fathom that people are sick of multiplayer being the main driving force behind a games creation or project status?
Microsoft double down on GAAS with franchises and developers who have no experience making them ala SCALEBOUND, FABLE LEGENDS. In the case of fable they were in a sense shut down on a awesome sounding fable 4 for a game that they had no clue how to market, make and monetize.

Shinobi is not alone there is a Mod here named MH Williams who I think is also a writer for a publication or website and made an article on gameindustry.biz about MS state of software.
And it was pretty much the sentiment of shinobi among others as me and Sneakers.
IT'S not just Shinobi's outlook it's a lot of peoples and has to do with all around excitement about what Xbox has, and people already have a giant list of online games they can play to take up their time.

Xbox has a big deficeit issue with diversity in software, mainly in games that are not online focused.

Chris1

I think that might have been another user by the name of CCIE. That user was banned. Although not sure if he hinted at the same in the thread.

Jez is very reliable. His information was spot on and we know that because of the DF articles that followed up a few weeks later. Users on here gave him a ton of shit.

Oh maybe you are right that name does sound familiar too, too many "insiders" these days it's hard to keep track of who's who

Finaj

But with success in this generation with a decent amount of third/first party story based games or single player campaigns. Is it hard to fathom that people are sick of multiplayer being the main driving force behind a games creation or project status?
Microsoft double down on GAAS with franchises and developers who have no experience making them ala SCALEBOUND, FABLE LEGENDS. In the case of fable they were in a sense shut down on a awesome sounding fable 4 for a game that they had no clue how to market, make and monetize.

Shinobi is not alone there is a Mod here named MH Williams who I think is also a writer for a publication or website and made an article on gameindustry.biz about MS state of software.
And it was pretty much the sentiment of shinobi among others as me and Sneakers.
IT'S not just Shinobi's outlook it's a lot of peoples and has to do with all around excitement about what Xbox has, and people already have a giant list of online games they can play to take up their time.

Xbox has a big deficeit issue with diversity in software, mainly in games that are not online focused.

One could argue that games without online functionality tend not to sell well on Xbox.

Papacheeks

Banned
One could argue that games without online functionality tend not to sell well on Xbox.

And they use to that's the issue some of us have. They can have some sort of multiplayer if it suits the game. There were plenty of games on xbox that sold well that were single player mostly.

Some of them had both, but a lot like Crimson skies had a great campaign and multiplayer just was icing on the cake.

For some reason they seem to not be able to tap into that and let the developers make the game they want to.

Then when they do, they make decisions that sometimes causes production issues(Quantum break) or don't really try to make a sequel.

This is probably true. You could also say Sony doesn't have enough good multiplayer games. It's swings and roundabouts really and largely personal preference which type of games you prefer. Not that MS isn't short on a bit of variety, further highlighted due to their long running series IP's.

It's hard to make something new and great, and those 8 - 10 hour AAA single player games are probably the most risky type from a business perspective. Probably even more so for MS after Quantum Break.

Figments

This has been true since the 360 took off in sales. It wasn't because of Lost Odyssey or Kameo.

And they use to that's the issue some of us have. They can have some sort of multiplayer if it suits the game. There were plenty of games on xbox that sold well that were single player mostly.

Some of them had both, but a lot like Crimson skies had a great campaign and multiplayer just was icing on the cake.

For some reason they seem to not be able to tap into that and let the developers make the game they want to.

Then when they do, they make decisions that sometimes causes production issues(Quantum break) or don't really try to make a sequel.

Except not really. Singleplayer games never sold all that well on Xbox, with few exceptions. Halo 2 practically outsold every other game on the original Xbox by a fairly huge margin, IIRC. The obscure singleplayer Japanese games GAF is obsessed with never really did.

This is probably true. You could also say Sony doesn't have enough good multiplayer games. It's swings and roundabouts really and largely personal preference which type of games you prefer. Not that MS isn't short on a bit of variety, further highlighted due to their long running series IP's.

It's hard to make something new and great, and those 8 - 10 hour AAA single player games are probably the most risky type from a business perspective. Probably even more so for MS after Quantum Break.

There is a verifiable problem with Microsoft's lineup diversity, but fixing it shouldn't have anything to do with making singleplayer AAA games. Microsoft has always been better at multiplayer-focused games, and they should be looking for ways to diversify by focusing their internal studios on creating new multiplayer AAA IPs to both advance multiplayer concepts and provide a set of robust examples of the benefits of Xbox Live.

I've been saying this shit from day fucking one of this stupid conversation about diversity, because all GAF ever seems to care about is new singleplayer IPs. That's all they argue for when it comes to diversity. It's ironic, and sad.

Papacheeks

Banned

Quantum Break was their fault though? They pulled some shit when that game was in development and it had to shift. Which is why it felt like it took forever to come out. Also Remedy isn't known for timely releases aka alan wake.

This has been true since the 360 took off in sales. It wasn't because of Lost Odyssey or Kameo.

Except not really. Singleplayer games never sold all that well on Xbox, with few exceptions. Halo 2 practically outsold every other game on the original Xbox by a fairly huge margin, IIRC. The obscure singleplayer Japanese games GAF is obsessed with never really did.

Who's saying Japanese games? Though Your right Halo 2 sold a boat load, didn't invalidate they had strong single player games. It's just Halo capitalized on teh online craze that was currently going on but still games like Grand theft auto still sold a boat load as well.
Then during OG xbox you had good sales for Starwars knights of the old republic which led to great sales with Bioware.s Mass effect which was exclusive at the time for 360.
There were games with online components but it didn't mean online was the focus of the game. Now it seems games getting made for xbox have to have online or at least the majority of ones getting green lit have a strong online component.

Issue is how MS approaches their library and their overall outlook is only on renewable income over a span of 6-12 months after the game is released. Instead of 3-4 years of income of people continually buying your game as long as it's in print. Which is what Nintendo and Sony have done since they started in this industry.

Sydle

Quantum Break was their fault though? They pulled some shit when that game was in development and it had to shift. Which is why it felt like it took forever to come out. Also Remedy isn't known for timely releases aka alan wake.

What are you talking about?

What 'shit'?

It was just an expensive game to make and ended up being average at best. Not a good recipe for a game only ~8 hours long.

On the IGN podcast, Phil said if people are thinking I'm hiding a new AAA game in my pocket for this fall, that's probably not gonna happen but they will have other unannounced stuff
And that's to be expected if we're being realistic. This fall/holiday will be Forza, SoT, SoD2, and Crackdown. (For AAA, there will be some other smaller games)

The idea that because they haven't talked about titles beyond 2017 means that they literally aren't current making games beyond 2017 is silly and yet keeps coming up for some reason.

MS's main bread and butter for years and years has always been its multiplayer games. Even though Halo CE had a great SP, the multiplayer also shined really well. Right now Gears and Halo lack the great SP that the previous games were known for. Halo 5 severely lacked a good marketing campaign, and a story that was so over the top comic books for even me. I have no problem if games they make have an online component as I love that as well, but they need to fix their story telling efforts. Gears and Halo need to be something special.

I also think it wouldn't hurt to fund a RPG or adventure game like Recore every so often on a AAA scale. Hell make a Banjo game with a team the size of Recores team and sell it for $40. Ask the Coalition to work on PD or Mech Assault. They have a good amount of IP's that they can muster.

I am not expecting them to chase Horizon Zero Dawn. Thats stupid. Just like I hated it when Killzone was pegged as the PS2's answer to Halo. They need to play to their franchises strength. A good 8-10 hour halo campaign would do wonders for the system.

blakep267

REmedy has said since the beginning that they wanted to incorporate television into Quantum break. Even if you look back at the 2014 gamescom demo and release not a ton changed except for new characters.

Maybe just accept that remedy isn't efficient when it comes to delivering games. MS gave QB a favorable release date, years of time to develop, fairly good marketing, a bundle and it still underperformed. Game wasn't even bad despite how people want it to be

JlNX

You might be right.Could you link the tweet. Also as far as I know He was pretty interested in the Crackdown,I don't know if he said otherwise.

Don't have the link. The reason I remember was because the person tweeting at him was acting like Xbox was going to close down, which I found laughable. He has said he's interested in Crackdown, I merely put it in there as a example of GAAS and also because unlike Crackdown 1 I think this games is going to heavily lean on multiplayer as the main focus due to things like GTA online.

Hence, why I've said that if we're to be excited for anything new out of Microsoft, it's in their publishing deals with third party developers. They've been pumping out new IP's on the second party front almost consistently this whole generation.

And all of those new IP's have bombed. I don't think it would be wise to expect them to keep doing this.

There is a verifiable problem with Microsoft's lineup diversity, but fixing it shouldn't have anything to do with making singleplayer AAA games. Microsoft has always been better at multiplayer-focused games, and they should be looking for ways to diversify by focusing their internal studios on creating new multiplayer AAA IPs to both advance multiplayer concepts and provide a set of robust examples of the benefits of Xbox Live.

I've been saying this shit from day fucking one of this stupid conversation about diversity, because all GAF ever seems to care about is new singleplayer IPs. That's all they argue for when it comes to diversity. It's ironic, and sad.

Yes I agree completely. Microsoft should focus on their strengths, and Sony has those type of games covered anyway.

I'm hoping that the tech behind Crackdown 3 (if it delivers) leads to further games pushing similar boundaries. Or some huge scale MMO type stuff, persistent worlds built on the Azure infrastructure. Stuff like that. These type of games have much greater potential for continual revenue streams too. But they need to go all out and push a few boundaries.

That's where Microsoft could shine IMO. They can still diversify without focusing on the short 'on rails' stuff. They can make up in that department with smaller games like Ori, or a few remasters of some Xbox classics. Plus Goldeneye!

Figments

Who's saying Japanese games? Though Your right Halo 2 sold a boat load, didn't invalidate they had strong single player games. It's just Halo capitalized on teh online craze that was currently going on but still games like Grand theft auto still sold a boat load as well.
Then during OG xbox you had good sales for Starwars knights of the old republic which led to great sales with Bioware.s Mass effect which was exclusive at the time for 360.
There were games with online components but it didn't mean online was the focus of the game. Now it seems games getting made for xbox have to have online or at least the majority of ones getting green lit have a strong online component.

Issue is how MS approaches their library and their overall outlook is only on renewable income over a span of 6-12 months after the game is released. Instead of 3-4 years of income of people continually buying your game as long as it's in print. Which is what Nintendo and Sony have done since they started in this industry.

"obscure singleplayer Japanese games" is more a statement about how ironic it is that GAF's obsession with singleplayer games only ever extends that far. And how every conversation of diversity with regards to Microsoft's lineup is never "they should be looking at pushing in new directions while doing what they're good at (multiplayer)" but is instead "why isn't XYZ Japanese game not on Xbox? Where's Xbox's Uncharted?" etc.

That isn't diversity. That's masking majority wishes as diversity. It only ever seems like me and like maybe four other people ever argue that they should diversify their multiplayer lineup.

With regards to the rest of your post, they can accomplish 3-4 year continual revenue streams by doubling down on GAAS and only releasing a new title in a franchise every five or so years, with continual support for the franchise entry currently on the market. They don't need singleplayer games to accomplish this--hell, that may even be detrimental, because after six months, most people are either looking for a sale or buying it used from GameStop or Craigslist.

Trago

And all of those new IP's have bombed. I don't think it would be wise to expect them to keep doing this.

Why not? They aren't establishing new studios anytime soon, and the second party productions have come out at a decent clip consistently. They partner with whoever they want really, and sometimes from very unexpected developers/publishers too.

FelipeMGM

cmon, you dont need any inside info to know that, they are always doing R&D for new hardware. Planning these consoles takes years

Its what I always say. Microsoft did try to establish new IP in a varied slews of genres this gen, but most of them didnt work out financially. Its not really on them

On the other hand, GaaS models have been very successeful on the platform. Killer Instinct comeback was done in a great way and games like ARK are doing gangbusters on the platform. I cant blame them for going after stuff with similar models

Thats also why I think Sea Of Thieves can be really big on Xbox if done the right way and has the correct marketing efforts behind it

Papacheeks

Banned
REmedy has said since the beginning that they wanted to incorporate television into Quantum break. Even if you look back at the 2014 gamescom demo and release not a ton changed except for new characters.

Maybe just accept that remedy isn't efficient when it comes to delivering games. MS gave QB a favorable release date, years of time to develop, fairly good marketing, a bundle and it still underperformed. Game wasn't even bad despite how people want it to be

I accept they are inefficient(alan wake's release date proves that), but they were actually using their own tv created pilot at first during early development then Microsoft let them use their facilities they created for entertainment, then the shut it down in 2014. Which is when the guy in the video I posted earlier came in to help get the game complete and make everything flow with the tv stuff.

Salty Hippo

Here's a tease.

tumblr_m5a68xDovB1qecbqfo1_400.gif

The only thing that could come out of this and actually make a splash would be an Ubisoft acquisition, taking it away from Vivendi's tentacles somehow. A timed exclusivity would do absolutely nothing. A marketing deal would be laughable.

Hence, why I've said that if we're to be excited for anything new out of Microsoft, it's in their publishing deals with third party developers. They've been pumping out new IP's on the second party front almost consistently this whole generation.

Phil Spencer refers to partnerships as first-party too. Shinobi could, and probably is talking about the whole picture of their development pipeline.

Trago

Phil Spencer refers to partnerships as first-party too. Shinobi could, and probably is talking about the whole picture of their development pipeline.

Granted, I don't think there's a whole lot in the pipeline. Shannon Loftis did mention like 14 games being worked on, and we probably know of half of those games anyway.

God, every time I see this thread get bumped I HOPE there's some new info on a possible new project or something from internal studio or some kind of funded third party I get depressed.

Microsoft is just kind depressing to talk about for me. Especially after I Recently came back from buying some classic xbox games for my collection.

I'm 100% with you. There are so many problems with Xbox right now, but, at least after this E3 the hardware platform problem will be solved for the forseeable future.

Now they just need to fix their first-party studio and operating system issues.

JlNX

I think we need to think about how people would get there sources and how that would connect with the inner workings of Microsoft. Microsoft has internal first party development which would be it's own team, you would also have Shannon Loftis's team which is Microsoft studios that would handle second party projects. If your source is with someone in first party internal team then you would probably know what's going on in certain other first party internal studios. Like you would know about Rare's other projects and you would know about Halo wars 2 under 343. You probably wouldn't know about Microsoft studios teams second party projects and likewise if your source was one of the second party studios you wouldn't know what the other second party studios are working on or even who they are. I think as we get closer to E3 and these teams go in to meetings to organise what they are doing at E3, were they fit on the schedule. Then they will start to be aware of other second party teams and internal projects and that will start to leak out. It's probably why we hear rumours crop up close to E3. So I'm expecting now that we are getting closer to E3 we will hear more leaks, but MS has kept a very tight lid on all other details so far so who knows.

Bookman

I'm not sure that you simply can add sales for a particular game 2 bought consoles when it comes to exclusive. Even if you don't play the last of us it's probably affected your brand opinion?

The same can be said about thimbleweed park (to take an example that probably don't sell that big a number). The sum is greater than the individual parts.

Even if I'm not interested in the last gardian or shenmue (witch Im not) it sure seems that Sony is whay ahead of Microsoft when it comes to exklusives and sooner or later there probably going to be a game that I would miss if I buy an xbox.

I think it's a part of ps4s success.

JlNX

The only thing that could come out of this and actually make a splash would be an Ubisoft acquisition, taking it away from Vivendi's tentacles somehow.
Can you imagine the meltdown, I can already read the press release "We are happy to announce we have acquired Ives Guillemot's child and as of today we are reopening Xbox tv and movie studios to continue development of the Ubisoft movie universe."
ubiception_o_801867.gif

FelipeMGM

I think we need to think about how people would get there sources and how that would connect with the inner workings of Microsoft. Microsoft has internal first party development which would be it's own team, you would also have Shannon Loftis's team which is Microsoft studios that would handle second party projects. If your source is with someone in first party internal team then you would probably know what's going on in certain other first party internal studios. Like you would know about Rare's other projects and you would know about Halo wars 2 under 343. You probably wouldn't know about Microsoft studios teams second party projects and likewise if your source was one of the second party studios you wouldn't know what the other second party studios are working on or even who they are. I think as we get closer to E3 and these teams go in to meetings to organise what they are doing at E3, were they fit on the schedule. Then they will start to be aware of other second party teams and internal projects and that will start to leak out. It's probably why we hear rumours crop up close to E3. So I'm expecting now that we are getting closer to E3 we will hear more leaks, but MS has kept a very tight lid on all other details so far so who knows.

Kinda, but not exactly. Projects that are ''2nd'' party are not that different from the ones you are calling 1st party (in fact they really are the same for MS Studios). What varies is if they are internally or externally developed. A game like ReCore or Quantum Break lets say, is developed externally but MS Studios has internal producers in Redmond working on it too. You also have internal MS PR represantatives working on the game. So, if your source is someone within MS Studios (with considerable knowledge of course) you sure could get info on externally developed games, maybe even more than stuff from 343 or Coalition

And its far more likely info comes from this part of MS Studios than some dude working on Halo at 343

That's because the surface team operates out of a literal bunker, and they're in charge of MS hardware design now. Dudes take their confidentiality agreements seriously.

Games are a lot harder to keep a lid on, but it's possible they've got stuff in the works. Only reason last time got so thoroughly spoiled was because of that media site.

Top Bottom