• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Redux is real and will be unveiled "this side of E3"

Oreoleo

Metro Last Light's Reveal Trailer also had it's music stuck in my head for WEEKS after
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdlA__Sv1VU

Metro is great, but Portishead is even better. Not too surprising.

I've never played these but I've always heard good things. Without spoiling anything can some please tell me what makes these games so great?
Is it the story?
Gameplay?
What?
I'm genuinely curious. I want to try them out.

Atmosphere and gameplay, for me. Atmosphere more so for the first game, gameplay more so for the second.

They also do the whole Half-Life, never-remove-you-from-first-person-perspective thing, which I really appreciate.

DieH@rd

Banned
I think the devs will do an admirable job (if possible). However, it is best to temper one's expectation on the visuals aspect as well. I expect the game to be at 900p@30fps between Medium and High settings with FXAA at best with anything extra being cherry on top.

More importantly, I hope they fix what was broken (including bugs) in 2033 in the redux version.

You are too harsh. :) Especially since A4 is such a technically oriented studio. This will not be a rushed job.

PS4 is a strong console. They can easily move PS3 level of visuals from 720p30 to 1080p30, and be left with TON of performance available to move the visual sliders up.

As for CPU power, this is a liner FPS. There is not much CPU processing that is needed here. If PS4 can handle 64 player matches with "levolution", then it can handle slow paced dungeon-crawler like 2033 and LL. A lot of lastgen CPU processes went to enhance lackluster GPUs, and PC versions of the games were bottlenecked by inefficiencies of DX11. Six Jaguar threads will be more than enough for this game.

yea I think the game will look and run great on PS4. Seems like they are taking their time with it.

I would love to replay the first game. I just beat LL last summer so not really interested in replaying that

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Metro is great, but Portishead is even better. Not too surprising.

Atmosphere and gameplay, for me. Atmosphere more so for the first game, gameplay more so for the second.

They also do the whole Half-Life, never-remove-you-from-first-person-perspective thing, which I really appreciate.

I'd say this about sums it up. I feel that Metro 2033 has the highest highs and lowest lows, while Last Light is a consistent experience throughout.

You are too harsh. :) Especially since A4 is such a technically oriented studio. This will not be a rushed job.

PS4 is a strong console. They can easily move PS3 level of visuals from 720p30 to 1080p30, and be left with TON of performance available to move the visual sliders up.

As for CPU power, this is a liner FPS. There is not much CPU processing that is needed here. If PS4 can handle 64 player matches with "levolution", then it can handle slow paced dungeon-crawler like 2033 and LL. A lot of lastgen CPU processes went to enhance lackluster GPUs, and PC versions of the games were bottlenecked by inefficiencies of DX11. Six Jaguar threads will be more than enough for this game.

I would not say this game is not CPU heavy. In fact, it utilizes my CPU cores quite heavily in combat. It is also one of the few games that scales really well across more than 4 cores.

THe PC version of the game were NOT bottlenecked by DX11 or bad coding, they literally (at least for the first game) used full resolution buffers for every effect.

So volumetric lighting, Depth of Field, Motionblur, etc... all ran at whatever res your monitor ran at at fulll color depth. Much like Crysis 1, this meant the game scaled linearly with Resolution and how much GPU power you through at it.

Last Light optimized the engine by adding new rendering features (Bokeh Depth of Field, better transluency, reflections), but also cut down on the full res post fx. It runs better at times because is actually less technically demanding in some scenarios. FOr example, the first game had shadows cast every a gun flashed, or the lights on the hekmets of enemy troops used to cast volumettric lights. Now shadowless point lights are spawned and teh beams from the helmet lights on enemy troops are just projected textures.

Sony is probably banking on people buying Left Behind on PS3 and then double dipping.

Yep. They got me with TLoU PS3. My wife bought it for me two days before the ps4 version was leaked.

I wasn't upset though and will buy the dlc. TLoU seems to have a great story and some of the threads have been spoiler landmines lately, so I'll play it and be happy regardless. It doesn't hurt that Naughty Dog was my favorite studio last gen either.

i-Lo

Well, we'll have to see since there is no direct evidence of one way or another. As for BF that ran in high 50s for framerate does provide a certain sense of comfort; however, we have not seen what 4A games will be able to do on their first outing on current gen console. Nor do we know if they will put in sufficient effort (I hope they do) to restructure code to take advantage of GPGPU capabilities of PS4 since XB1 does not focus on that aspect as much. Hence, it could be a drain on their resources (given the size of the dev team) to put in extra effort to make the game be as good as it can on both new gen consoles (esp. PS4). Instead they could just as well upgrade the textures, resolution and stabilize the framerate to find an amicable middle ground and make a few quick buck out of it. It would make the most business sense and given bottom line is all a publisher cares about (given what Deep Silver's involvement took away with Last Light in its initial release), I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be have the same quality as Splinter Cell Classic Trilogy collection on PS3.

nym

Neo Member
I will triple dip on this to support these guys, plus I love the world they have crafted. I loved it on my 360, love it on my Mac, and will love it on my PS4.

DieH@rd

Banned
Let us remind ourself what 4A Games chief technical officer thinks about console CPUs:

Digital Foundry: Do you think that the relatively low-power CPUs in the next-gen consoles (compared to PC, at least) will see a more concerted push to getting more out of GPU Compute?

Oles Shishkovstov: No, you just cannot compare consoles to PC directly. Consoles could do at least 2x what a comparable PC can due to the fixed platform and low-level access to hardware.

Back to the question - yes, yes and yes. There are some things which are just more efficient to do on massively parallel machines like GPUs are. I think that at least initially, with launch titles, the GPU-Compute will be underutilised, but during console's lifetime we'll see more and more unbelievable and innovative things purely thanks to GPUs.

And what he thought about PS4:
Digital Foundry: Let's talk about next-gen console. What's your take on the general design in terms of CPU and graphics processing power?

Oles Shishkovstov: We are talking PS4, right? I am very excited about both CPU and GPU. Jaguar is a pretty well-balanced out-of-order core and there are eight of them inside. I always wanted a lot of relatively-low-power cores instead of single super-high-performance one, because it's easier to simply parallelise something instead of changing core-algorithms or chasing every cycle inside critical code segment (not that we don't do that, but very often we can avoid it).

Many beefier cores would be even better, but then we'll be left without a GPU! With regards the graphics core, it's great, simply great. It's a modern-age high-performance compute device with unified memory and multiple compute-contexts. The possibilities of CPU-GPU-CPU communication are endless, we can easily expect games doing, for example, AI pathfinding/route planning executing on GPU to become a common thing.

Digital Foundry: To what extent is the 8GB of GDDR5 in the PlayStation 3 a game-changer? What implications does that have for PC, where even the standard GTX 680 ships with just 2GB of GDDR5?

Oles Shishkovstov: RAM is really, really important for games, but all of it actually being useful depends on available CPU-side bandwidth and latency to the external storage device. I think that they put slightly more RAM than necessary for truly next-generation games this time, but considering the past history of Sony stealing significant percentage of RAM from developers for OS needs - that may be exactly the right amount!
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-inside-metro-last-light

He even expected that Sony will take a lot of RAM away from PS4 developers, and he's happy about that :D :D :D

Oreoleo

I'd say this about sums it up. I feel that Metro 2033 has the highest highs and lowest lows, while Last Light is a consistent experience throughout.

I agree with this. Somewhat counter-intuitively, while I think Last Light is probably "better" overall, somehow I prefer the original.

Liamc723

Definitely picking this up, hopefully it'll release in July/August time so there's something to play over the summer

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I agree with this. Somewhat counter-intuitively, while I think Last Light is probably "better" overall, somehow I prefer the original.

Yeah, I felt the best parts of 2033 were better than Last Light, but Last Night never was even close to as frustrating at 2033 could get, especially in the stealth and heavy shooting sections.

AU Tiger

Didn't get very far into the first game got stuck at the
dynamite tunnels with lots of rats
part :/

I love the honesty of the guys in response to the leak though.

I'll definitely double dip on this for pc.

Deadbeat

Banned
Yeah, I felt the best parts of 2033 were better than Last Light, but Last Night never was even close to as frustrating at 2033 could get, especially in the stealth and heavy shooting sections.
Because in 2033 where the stealth was broken, in Last Light it was brokenly overpowered.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
1920_VH.png

PS4 has enough power to run Last Light at Very High in 1080p30, although console API optimization and presence/absence of tesselation/physx/goodAA effects will play a crucial role in the final performance of the game.

In any case, game will look great on PS4.

Pretty much what I was expecting. Give me very high with good post process AA at 1080p and a solid 30 and I'll be a happy camper.

Ah, thanks. Curious to know if you've had an opportunity to play it on PS3 and if you would do it again on PS4?

I played a bit of Last Light on PS3 from PS+ but it wasn't a good experience. Very blurry and a lot of framerate hitches. The game itself had a wonderful atmosphere and I will be buying this day 1 since I could tell the game was good but that PS3 was not the platform to play it on.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I think the devs will do an admirable job (if possible). However, it is best to temper one's expectation on the visuals aspect as well. I expect the game to be at 900p@30fps between Medium and High settings with FXAA at best with anything extra being cherry on top.

More importantly, I hope they fix what was broken (including bugs) in 2033 in the redux version.

You really expect 900p is the best they can do?

I am hoping for 1080p/60 fps. They can scale back some of the graphics to achieve that.

Nzyme32

1920_VH.png

PS4 has enough power to run Last Light at Very High in 1080p30, although console API optimization and presence/absence of tesselation/physx/goodAA effects will play a crucial role in the final performance of the game.

In any case, game will look great on PS4.

That's pretty dam acceptable. I'm sure some tweaking and cut backs on the stuff you mention will make the performance great. I played through the game on high with a gtx460, and it was still a stunning experience. It's a great game, reminds me of half life in some ways due to the way story is told.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
This is how you react to leaks.

Agreed. I never cared much for canned PR statements. Speaking of which, whenever I email PR/studios and they respond with " We don't comment on rumors or speculations" it means 90% of the time that it's real. Otherwise, they'd totally debunk it.

Really hope publishers will be more open to budgets, sales and such moving forward. If the music and movie industry can, why not games? I understand with announcements since they build hype to help marketing, but at some point, that has to change a little.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Agreed. I never cared much for canned PR statements. Speaking of which, whenever I email PR/studios and they respond with " We don't comment on rumors or speculations" it means 90% of the time that it's real. Otherwise, they'd totally debunk it.

Really hope publishers will be more open to budgets, sales and such moving forward. If the music and movie industry can, why not games? I understand with announcements since they build hype to help marketing, but at some point, that has to change a little.

Why does the industry need to be more open in regards to gaming budgets? I fail to see why we need to know what the game development cost.

Great! Never managed to get through the first game and never played the second. It was fun while I played it though, and I loved the mythology (the book is excellent) so I'll probably be picking this up!

Odrion

Banned
I've never played these but I've always heard good things. Without spoiling anything can some please tell me what makes these games so great?

Is it the story?

Gameplay?

What?

I'm genuinely curious. I want to try them out.
Atmosphere and world building. It's the closest a series nailed down those two things since the Half-Life franchise.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah, these games are proof that you can make AAA games on a non-AAA budget.

Now I really hope that they tweak the stealth and gun mechanics for Metro 2033. That would make it the perfect set.

Top Bottom