• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ditch your PS3, Get $100 store credit towards Xbox One

Moofers

genbatzuuuuuuu8xu8y.jpg

This was pretty clever.

Jomjom

Banned
No they are not. Only a few were, like the MGS one.

Actually the majority of the 80gb were backwards compatible. They were like 90% bc as opposed to like 98% for the 60gb because the 80gb used some combination of hardware + software to play the PS2 games, whereas the 60gb used all hardware.

I can't understand why a sane person would trade a console who can play masterpieces like:

- The Last of Us
- Journey
- Flower
- Folklore
- Uncharted 3
- Bioshock
- Brothers
- The Walking Dead
- Ni No Kuni
- Wipeout HD

and HD versions of masterpieces like:

- Ico and SotC
- Okami
- Metal Gear Solid 3
- Final Fantasy X
- Resident Evil 4
- Beyond Good and Evil
- Monkey Island 2

and is backwards compatible with a glorious collection of PS1 masterpieces like:

- Final Fantasy VII / IX
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Resident Evil 2
- Castlevania Symphony of the Night

for 100 dollar towards a Xbone (or also a PS4)?????

Seems like a bad trade to me...

DarkFlow

Banned
I think he referred to phat launch window consoles only. I have one too and it plays all my games.

I guess, I was only talking about MY PS3 80gb Phat, and then had like 3 people tell me about how I'm wrong and also talking about another model... makes no sense.

JCizzle

No, as has been pointed out numerous times in the thread, they're being mocked because it's a terrible value proposition.

You own a PS3. For $400, you can:
a) Have an XBone instead.
b) Have a PS3 and a PS4.

Most people would opt for B, I suspect.

Why? There will be a few more new games and then the thing is dead. With a ps4, I'll soon be able to play my ps3 library without having to have a spare one around anyways. Combination of ps4 and bone seem to be the best combo to cover all first party offerings.

Edit, I agree if you only have 400 and no ps4, it's the best deal. I misread that.

Raist

Banned
"let us recycle your PS3".

They're gonna take the XDR chips and put them in the next XBone batch, aren't they?

Shin-Ra

You're all such meanies, Microsoft overdelivers value on a PS3 trade-in so that everyone can afford The Xbox One All In One Home Entertainment System with Kinect Voice Controls (only on Xbox) and you throw it back in their face by suggesting people just buy a $100 cheaper, more powerful PS4 instead. They could offer a $200 rebate and a free copy of Tomb Raider and you'd still throw it back in their face!

mekes

Could never 'ditch' my PS3. 360 has been boxed up in my wardrobe for the past 5 years tho. Wonder if they take RROD units?

I wouldn't give them my PS3 even if they pay me $100 and give me a free X1. Very dumb promo imo.

Since the promo isn't aimed at you it's dumb eh?

I mean, it's not aimed at me either... but it's likely a better trade in deal than they'd get at most retailers if that was what they wanted.

jaypah

I traded my PS3 towards PS4 games. In a few years I'll buy another one for super cheap. I would take advantage of this offer with my 360 but I'm just not ready to buy a 180 yet.

Probably have a deal with a distribution chain at cost. The goal is not to make a profit on it, but rather to get people off the sony ecosystem and onto the microsoft ecosystem.

Yup. Though GAF is clearly not the market for this somebody somewhere is going to take them up on this offer. Quite a few people I would imagine.

Epcott

Hmm,

On one hand I can (if you have PS +) keep my PS3 system and get Bioshock Infinite, DmC, Brothers, free this month, Metro: Last Light, Remember Me, and Payday 2 free next month (in a few days)...

Or

Give the MS store my PS3, and all I need to pay towards a XBox One is a mere $399 (not including money towards new games)? What a deal!

I wouldn't mind an Xbone, but that would be a pretty dumb move.

The only reason I haven't gotten a PS4 yet is because my PS3 will be incredibly relevant for years to come - moreso than the PS2 (imo). It's a great blu-ray player and I have PS+ games for days... Microsoft can come pry it from my cold, dead hands >.<

Trade in a system which has tons of games on it for 1/4 of an overpriced system with very few games on it.

What a slam ball of a deal!
(That was supposed to sound dumb, in-case you cannot sense my sarcasm).
Thanks Microsoft!

DarkFlow

Banned
I don't see what the big deal is really. Since when is it a bad thing to save money on something YOU WANT. It's not like MS is holding guns to peoples heads making them trade in there PS3. If you happen to have a ps3 or 360 and you want a X1, then this is a great deal if you're done with them.

I can't understand why a sane person would trade a console who can play masterpieces like:

- The Last of Us
- Journey
- Flower
- Folklore
- Uncharted 3
- Bioshock
- Brothers
- The Walking Dead
- Ni No Kuni
- Wipeout HD

and HD versions of masterpieces like:

- Ico and SotC
- Okami
- Metal Gear Solid 3
- Final Fantasy X
- Resident Evil 4
- Beyond Good and Evil
- Monkey Island 2

and is backwards compatible with a glorious collection of PS1 masterpieces like:

- Final Fantasy VII / IX
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Resident Evil 2
- Castlevania Symphony of the Night

for 100 dollar towards a Xbone (or also a PS4)?????

Seems like a bad trade to me...

It's a matter of taste, no? On that list, I only care for Wipeout and SotC. Of course, your missing things like Shatter, but you can get them on PC.

That said, I wouldn't ditch my PS3 for $100. My Vita, on the other hand...

olimpia84

Since the promo isn't aimed at you it's dumb eh?

I mean, it's not aimed at me either... but it's likely a better trade in deal than they'd get at most retailers if that was what they wanted.

As many have posted in here you can get more money if you sell your PS3 elsewhere so this is basically a ripoff.

Top Bottom