• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*SPOILERS* The Walking Dead TV show, leaks, and comic book SPOILER discussion thread

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'll be pissed if they kill Negan off in the show. Sparing Negan is such a pivotal moment in Rick's character development. If they do something silly like having Rick spare Negan but then he falls backwards into a horde of zombies, that would be enough for me to quit the show. Considering the tv thread is full of people saying Just Kill Him Already, Rick, I think following the comic would sail over a lot of heads. People want that bloody resolution and satisfaction, the bad guy has to get some ironic or fitting death. If they go that route, I'm fine just sticking to the comic. Negan being spared is actually about something bigger, about the need to rebuild society outweighing the continuous cycle of revenge and retribution. If you just water it down to Murder the Bad Guy, it's no different than anything that came before.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Yeah, I'm close to dropping the show. If they just kill Negan that'll be the final nail for me.

UberTag

I'd rather Negan kill off everyone but Carl than the other way around.
Dude needs to remain an integral part of the cast until the eventual series finale where him and Rick kill each other.

dustyherb

I can't possibly imagine them killing off Negan when that would change so much after AOW. Gimple and Kirkman finally got the show on track with the comics, so killing off Negan doesn't make much sense to me. Ya I'm sure a lot of people will be mad that he lives, but hopefully some will change their minds when they see what happens with him after AOW.

Anth0ny

um... they're not going to kill negan. come on.

the fact that TV viewers are so pissed about him is the entire point. the writers don't want negan to come off as cool. they want negan to be hated, which means turning up the mustache-twirling and kinda overexposing him a bit.

it'll mean that much more when rick spares him in the end.

dustyherb

So they're doing the Whisperers this early huh?

www.spoilertv.com/2016/11/the-walking-dead-episode-706-title-and.html

That has to be the Whisperers, right? What other society is there to introduce, and which one would be "unlike anything seen before"?
Some people over at TSDF think this is going to be Oceanside but we shall see. Also there's supposed to be another community introduced in the second half of this season that's only in the show. Seems like Alexandria, The Hilltop, and the Kingdom aren't going to be enough to fight Negan. Gimple and Kirkman want AOW to be a pretty big deal in the show it looks like.

I don't know that "society" is a word that would be used to describe the Whisperers. I agree it's either Oceanside coming in early or another community not in the comics.

dustyherb

What the hell is Oceanside?
The community that Michonne stayed with after AOW. They trade fish with the other communities, Siddiq is from there, Michonne worked on their fishing ship dressed like a pirate. The last time we saw it was Siddiq asking Pete for people to help fight the whisperers but they couldn't spare anyone. It's hardly been in the comics so it would be awesome if the show expanded on it.

The community that Michonne stayed with after AOW. They trade fish with the other communities, Siddiq is from there, Michonne worked on their fishing ship dressed like a pirate. The last time we saw it was Siddiq asking Pete for people to help fight the whisperers but they couldn't spare anyone. It's hardly been in the comics so it would be awesome if the show expanded on it.

OH. Ok, I had no idea the place had a name.

edit: They released the cover for issue 163 today. Yikes.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Getting more on Oceanside would be nice. Good opportunity for the show to expand on the comic and offer up something new.

So I'm seeing rumors that
Carl is getting killed off late in the season so Riggs can go to college

I can't find a terrific source but there are a lot of articles floating around. Here is US Weekly's. HuffPo has a pic of the now-deleted tweet.

This would be a huge departure from the comics but I find it plausible because
a)
He ain't that popular
b)
Riggs is at that age when this sometimes happens
c)
Judith was spared, so Rick can still be CrazyDad even if Carl dies

What do you all think? Seen this floating around?

I can't find a terrific source but there are a lot of articles floating around. Here is US Weekly's. HuffPo has a pic of the now-deleted tweet.

a)
He ain't that popular
b)
c)

Idk, seems like that would way too extreme to be so bleak in one season

UberTag

Carl had a good run. Just give all of his comic book scenes to Daryl.
That's clearly what the show's fans want anyhow.

If he's been accepted to a University, I'd say this sounds very likely.

He has.

If he has decided to attend, that would be about a 100 mile commute to the set so it isn't totally unfeasible for him to stay and still attend Auburn. But if he doesn't aspire to continue acting (who knows?), I'm not sure why he'd want to.

Even if he does, really.

dustyherb

a)
He ain't that popular
b)
c)

Pretty sure he's not leaving the show. The whole reason this rumor started was because Chandler and his dad took a picture saying "Completed 7 years on twd" with #freedom afterwards. Everyone started freaking out about the #freedom part but really it was about Chandler's dad. Now that he will be 18 heading into season 8, he doesn't need his dad to sign shit and be a chaperone. Pretty sure his dad even had to quit his job so he could do the show.

Also I think I remember Chandler saying that he would figure out how to do College and the show at the same time.

Pretty sure he's not leaving the show. The whole reason this rumor started was because Chandler and his dad took a picture saying "Completed 7 years on twd" with #freedom afterwards. Everyone started freaking out about the #freedom part but really it was about Chandler's dad. Now that he will be 18 heading into season 8, he doesn't need his dad to sign shit and be a chaperone. Pretty sure his dad even had to quit his job so he could do the show.

Also I think I remember Chandler saying that he would figure out how to do College and the show at the same time.

Spent quite a bit of time looking for that quote and couldn't find it (otoh, I did find a quote from his mom on this confirming that his dad had to quit his job, that completing a seven year contract is a huge deal for a child actor, and that people shouldn't overanalyze what was said). Even if he did say that, though...it's one thing to think that is going to work when you're sixteen or whatever and juggling high school and a full shooting schedule easily, another thing entirely to actually be in college and make that commute and production work. There are good reasons this is a common issue. Losing interest in acting and not wanting to share time with it anymore, for instance.

I think it's interesting to think about, even if this isn't the current plan, because Kirkman has often said Carl is the only truly unkillable character in the comic. But surely they have some kind of contingency plan in place at the very least. What could it be? Call Sarah Chalke?

It's certainly made me look at the decision not to kill Judith in a new light.

dustyherb

I was just over on TSDF forum and turns out I was wrong. Chandler didn't say he would figure out how to do both but his dad did say something. "His dad told us during his tour that he hoped if Chandler went to Auburn that it would work around his filming schedule."

Also his mom on her instragram posted a comment saying, "Now you know his first choice is UGA! This is his backup plan." https://instagram.com/p/BMfopj1jXQ6/
Seems like Chandler is trying to attend college close to where they film.

UberTag

Also his mom on her instragram posted a comment saying, "Now you know his first choice is UGA! This is his backup plan." https://instagram.com/p/BMfopj1jXQ6/
No surprises there. Kid's the meal ticket for the Riggs family. Of course they're going to do everything in their power to accommodate filming. It's not like he has a career in acting after this.

Grizzlyjin

Don't they primarily film in summer as well? It wouldn't be that hard to do both if he wanted to.

Honestly, I wish him the best in whatever he wants. If he wants to quit the show for college, good for him. If he wants to balance both, same.

LycanXIII

I was just over on TSDF forum and turns out I was wrong. Chandler didn't say he would figure out how to do both but his dad did say something. "His dad told us during his tour that he hoped if Chandler went to Auburn that it would work around his filming schedule."

Yeah, he's looking at colleges nearby, and there's always online classes too. Don't think he's leaving.

Grizzlyjin

Caught up on the comic. I noticed that Kirkman is going all in with the 16 panel spread for The Whisperer War. Lots of cutting between concurrent actions in different areas. Shit is way too peaches & cream during major parts of this arc. I'm bracing myself for everything to fall apart. Even the pushback with Dwight's plan of infiltrating their herd seemed a little too easy.

Surprised Beta survived. Honestly, I was expecting Negan to finish him off but the Whisperers continue to be a problem even without clear leadership because of their ethos, no sense of self and being one with the undead hordes.

It feels like a Cold War is brewing between Alexandria and the remnants of The Saviors. I wonder if everything here is going to collapse and Eugene will have to tell everyone about the group in Ohio. Maybe we're getting a location change? That little nugget with him and radio has been brewing for a long time now. It's gotta be the start of a big new arc when the other shoe finally drops.

I managed 16 minutes of the last episode before turning it off.

I'm done.

I'll give next week a shot, just on the premise that we're finally getting Negan/Carl, but man, I can't believe how badly they've botched the season everyone thought clearly had the strongest fucking story of the comics since the prison.

Surfinn

I'll give next week a shot, just on the premise that we're finally getting Negan/Carl, but man, I can't believe how badly they've botched the season everyone thought clearly had the strongest fucking story of the comics since the prison.

Yup, I was super pumped to finally have Negan. Thought it could be the best season since the first. But my god have they botched and scattered the plot.

They've had couple decent episodes but the main problem is that the 85 min main cast one a few weeks back was worse than the recent offshoots.

There's just no clear direction this season, and it shows.

How can you have so little happen in 85 minutes with Negan AND the main group? That's when I realized this season is pretty much doomed.

And even the energy of Negan has worn off a bit.. he's pretty goddamn one note when you break it down.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
After killing two main characters, they're afraid of killing anyone else apparently. Just kill some of these useless b level characters already, these episodes are pointless.

I enjoyed it. I like the backstory to Oceanside and tying them in to the Saviors. I also enjoy Tara's humor and how her story has been built up from someone who was pretty irritating to one of the more thoughtful survivors.

UberTag

After killing two main characters, they're afraid of killing anyone else apparently. Just kill some of these useless b level characters already, these episodes are pointless.
Spencer gets his in a couple weeks. Olivia likely buys the farm then as well. Hopefully that will sate your appetite.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Spencer gets his in a couple weeks. Olivia likely buys the farm then as well. Hopefully that will sate your appetite.

I think it's less an appetite for death as it is a feeling that the cast is too bloated. A whole episode on Tara and Keith?!?! I barely even remembered they were in the show still.

Mega

Banned
This entire season has been a slog because it's been padded with too much obvious filler. They could wrap up the entire war in half a season but that would never be allowed. There's advertising money to be had by padding out this story arc. Although it may bite AMC in the ass... I hear this season's ratings are slipping compared to past ones.

This entire season has been a slog because it's been padded with too much obvious filler. They could wrap up the entire war in half a season but that would never be allowed. There's advertising money to be had by padding out this story arc. Although it may bite AMC in the ass... I hear this season's ratings are slipping compared to past ones.

Lowest since season 3. The recap blogs have been tearing it apart too.

UberTag

What hurts is that anyone that has bowed out and is keeping touch from a distance reads these blogs or hears about them and they know they're not missing out on anything.

It's the same sort of apathy that affects other forms of scripted event entertainment like wrestling. When you structure your programming around tentpoles like a season finale or WrestleMania or whatever it might happen to be and you're so blatant and obvious about it, you minimize the day-to-day investment that people will have in your product.

And when people have broken the habit of your show being must-watch every time it's on the air and their practice of talking about it every week at the water cooler, at the dinner table or via an online forum like GAF, it makes it so very difficult to win them back.

My perspective is this... if you're a content producer - regardless of what that content may happen to be - if you are actively cultivating apathy amongst your most loyal audience, I could give a rat's ass about you. Respect my time and I will reward you. Disrespect my time and I'll give it someone who does.

Mega

Banned
Yeah, I think even people who haven't read the comics are waiting for the communities to come together, get guns and take down the Saviors in the Big Showdown. What else is there to expect? It's just a whole lot of waiting for the obvious conclusion.

Waning interest isn't a shocker either. Almost every episode for a long time now follows a stale formula where a few of the characters go out looking for something and inevitably zombies (again) get the jump on them. Someone may or may not get bitten. Nobody most of the time, or else it's a minor character to thin out the background cast. At the end they get the thing, or occasionally fail, but always a Valuable Lesson is learned and everyone has a moment of bonding and mutual respect, and etc and so on. Blah it's boring just typing this. Jesus this show has so many episodes that have no reason to be re-watched.

Have links to any good ones? I wouldn't mind having a laugh over that last crap episode.

Top Bottom