• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

I am cross posting this, because I think it will be of interest to some of the people here:

Some of you might have seen the latest version of my Essential RPG thread occasionally popping up on the main page of the gaming forum. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1434280

The thread is currently in its voting stage, and as an incentive to vote, I started a pool of prizes to be raffled off to the people participating. Included in the raffle are over a dozen keys for classic CRPGs, mostly for Steam (I think that the Might and Magic games are through Uplay).

In addition to that, Robert from Zeboyd Games has very graciously offered to give the first 200 voting participants a free copy of Cosmic Star Heroine on Steam. This is a 16-bit JRPG styled indie title that takes inspiration from Phantasy Star and Chrono Trigger (among other games).

The Essential RPG threads aim to introduce GAF members to new RPGs. People's voting lists also serve as recommendations, with several posters giving detailed reasons why you should be playing their favourite games. At the end of the vote, I consolidate everything into a top 50 list that gives a bunch of information for each game (including cost, available platforms, key staff, OST highlights, etc). The aggregate list is good for less experienced RPG gamers, while the individual recommendations are good for everyone.

Every time the thread is run, people complain about there being too few CRPGs and too many JRPGs. But every year, turnout from PC GAF is pretty light.

If you love CRPGs (or RPGs in general), would like to help make a strong end product, and are up for winning free games while doing so, I encourage you to participate. Just read through the rules first!

At last count, a bit more than 50 participants qualify for a Cosmic Star Heroine Steam key, so there are plenty of keys left.

Tonton

I am cross posting this, because I think it will be of interest to some of the people here:

Some of you might have seen the latest version of my Essential RPG thread occasionally popping up on the main page of the gaming forum. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1434280

The thread is currently in its voting stage, and as an incentive to vote, I started a pool of prizes to be raffled off to the people participating. Included in the raffle are over a dozen keys for classic CRPGs, mostly for Steam (I think that the Might and Magic games are through Uplay).

In addition to that, Robert from Zeboyd Games has very graciously offered to give the first 200 voting participants a free copy of Cosmic Star Heroine on Steam. This is a 16-bit JRPG styled indie title that takes inspiration from Phantasy Star and Chrono Trigger (among other games).

The Essential RPG threads aim to introduce GAF members to new RPGs. People's voting lists also serve as recommendations, with several posters giving detailed reasons why you should be playing their favourite games. At the end of the vote, I consolidate everything into a top 50 list that gives a bunch of information for each game (including cost, available platforms, key staff, OST highlights, etc). The aggregate list is good for less experienced RPG gamers, while the individual recommendations are good for everyone.

Every time the thread is run, people complain about there being too few CRPGs and too many JRPGs. But every year, turnout from PC GAF is pretty light.

If you love CRPGs (or RPGs in general), would like to help make a strong end product, and are up for winning free games while doing so, I encourage you to participate. Just read through the rules first!

At last count, a bit more than 50 participants qualify for a Cosmic Star Heroine Steam key, so there are plenty of keys left.
I`ve been thinking about participating but honestly i`m rather limited in the RPGs I played
Someone needs to shill that Falcom goodness tho

Lanrutcon

I tried for 5h, but had to give up - and lowered the difficulty in Divinity: Original Sin 2 from Classic to Explorer.

#filthycasual

But it really feels weird when every single foe you encounter seem to be able to wield magic like master warlocks, and every encounter ends with the whole screen set on fire. :)

It's the game's way of telling you to build hybrid characters.

My mage elf is an air and water magic master, wearing platemail and a shield, stunning enemies with warrior skills and if shit gets tight, backflips away like a ranger.

That shit was not possible in the first game, let me tell you.

One of my first games was theme park. Grew up on a diet of rollercoaster tycoon. Planet coaster is damn near perfect at what it does. Frontier keep adding heaps of new rides and scenarios too, fantastic game.

It's like the dream amusement park creator I've wanted forever. Highly recommended.
Oh that's so tempting......

Now to think about whether I should wait for a nicer sale or just throw caution out the window.

Hektor

I'm not sure i'm even capable of making a list of 10 essential RPG's if i'm chosing from both W- and JRPG's.

I tried for 5h, but had to give up - and lowered the difficulty in Divinity: Original Sin 2 from Classic to Explorer.

#filthycasual

But it really feels weird when every single foe you encounter seem to be able to wield magic like master warlocks, and every encounter ends with the whole screen set on fire. :)

The game's pretty challenging. Had to start nearly every fight at least twice on Classic. Some i had to go at 5-10 times, especially minibosses.

I actually started playing on Tactician but that shit was busting me hard and i consider myself to be fairly versed in TBS and RPG's.

It truly is the Dark Souls of CRPG's

Ladekabel

Oh neat, Humble Bundle has now the option to redeem keys from the keys page. Or it is an Enhanced Steam feature. If it is an Enhanced Steam feature then kudos to jshackles!

Thanks for the headsup.
My list might be a bit unconvential though:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=249472605&postcount=199

I doubt many people liked FF13, 8 or Neptunia as much as I did.

BasilZero

Damn there is already 200+ posts so no cosmic star heroine for me ;_;

Nice event but I don't think my list will be good, most of my rpgs are from squareenix and Nintendo with a handful of others, thanks for the offer though....

BasilZero

Anyways what are CRPGs?

Console RPGs?

Never seen anyone use that term before

Only been pc gaming since 2012 but been console gaming since 1991 ;P

The game's pretty challenging. Had to start nearly every fight at least twice on Classic. Some i had to go at 5-10 times, especially minibosses.

I actually started playing on Tactician but that shit was busting me hard and i consider myself to be fairly versed in TBS and RPG's.

It truly is the Dark Souls of CRPG's

5-10 attempts for each fight? Yeah, I'm just not gonna do that. :) The game isn't that good.

BasilZero

Whoops 😂

Didn't know that

I guess the only ones I played that are strictly PC only were torchlight 1 and 2.

I did play three of the ys games on pc.

Other than that I did play ffvii, ffviii, ffix and disgaea pc as well

Need to play more RPGs on steam, got a lot on my back log

prudislav

Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection delayed to Fall 2017
At this moment, Zwei: II is in the middle of QA testing. We’ve got the game up and running: internally, Danielle, Nate, and I have played it through from beginning to end, and I’ve been busily making many tweaks and edits to the first-pass localization thanks to the helpful ability to see lines appearing in context. So on the “overall progress” front, we’re looking pretty good, actually.

And yet, to put it simply, there are some issues remaining that we wouldn’t feel comfortable releasing the game with and just patching later.
The good news is that we know what problems remain and, for the most part, they’re the kind of normal QA issues one would expect. The bad news is that we’re pushing Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection’s release back into fall.

Believe me, we’re not fond of game delays any more than you are. They’re disappointing, they let you down, and they’re awkward to announce. But, speaking personally, I’d rather wait for a game and have it work well from the get-go than play a game in a state where my immersion is interrupted by weird graphical or textual hiccups, or achievements popping at the wrong times. So that’s what we’re doing our best to deliver. Remember, every cake is gonna taste funny if it wasn’t baked long enough.

So…yeah. Kick back as the summer heat abates, grab yourself a pumpkin spice beverage, and wait warmly as we prepare for you a mighty fine video game that I think will prove worth the (additional) wait.
http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/165554690710/zwei-the-ilvard-insurrection-localization-blog

Durante

People who don't already have Cosmic Star Heroine shouldn't be allowed to vote.
In fact, people who didn't back it on Kickstarter shouldn't be allowed to vote.
/elitist

But in all seriousness, good job on always doing these. I might still participate though I have given up on GAF's collective taste in RPGs :p

kurahador

SlDncfi.jpg

Parsnip

This is a neat thing, but I probably wouldn't have much to contribute in the end. Kind of fell off the rpg wagon after ps2 and never really got into crpg's.

I'd just only recommend Terranigma to everyone anyway, that's not terribly useful. :p

kswiston

/elitist

But in all seriousness, good job on always doing these. I might still participate though I have given up on GAF's collective taste in RPGs :p

This year's set of lists has some good stuff. I'm sure the top 50 will be populist heavy, but hopefully there are some shakeups.

Also, GAF's collective taste not being great is the best reason to participate. How are people going to discover new stuff otherwise?

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I would encourage folks to participate even if they haven't played the newer stuff. Classics can always be overlooked (Suikoden II needs more votes also), and your old favorites might not be the same ones as everyone else.

Plus the way the system works this year makes giving points to a few different picks really easy! The stuff like Highlights and Honorable mentions can give your few votes extra power also. For instance you could, Vote for Trails in the Sky SC, since I know you all have played that, RIGHT?

gngf123

/elitist

It is still worth participating! If only just to slightly improve the list.

I'm expecting to be disappointed in the amount of Persona 4 votes, just like every year.

BasilZero

Lots of those unique posters either didnt vote yet or aren't qualified due to a lack of comments.

I'll take the first 200 that follow the rules. Not the first 200 posters. There should be about 2/3rds of the keys left.

;o - I hope I didnt break any of the rules xD.

I posted my response.

Though I havent added my explanation for the honorable mentions but I did for the 10 games I consider to be my top 10.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=249496077&postcount=243

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Half my RPG list (discounting honorable mentions) can be found on Steam! ...Even if there's only 1 CRPG on there. RIP. I haven't finished my HMs, and don't want it to be just random Tales games I remember playing.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Pfft, my whole RPG list can be found on Steam (discounting honorable mentions)
Kurt why you gotta always show me up. So rood. ;-;

I'm surprised you threw Dark Souls 2 and 3 on there and not 1. I thought a lot of people disliked 2. I should probably play Vampire the Masquerade, I think I own that. It's text heavy right? So like, doable with just a trackpad? I lost my mouse somewhere when I came back from vacation lol.

I really want to post my list there but I'm not really creative with words.

So I guess I'll just PM a lazy list version instead to the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom