• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming “Blockbuster” JRPG Starring Nobuo Uematsu is Granblue Fantasy, Gets Trailer

Famassu

The fate of 90% of all new
Mobile
JRPGS. These are dark times for JRPG fans.
What universe are you pessimistic silly people living in.

Just within the last year or two we've gotten
Fire Emblem Awakening
Etrian Odyssey IV
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Shin Megami Tensei Soul Hackers
several Atelier games
Final Fantasy XIV:ARR
Dragon's Crown
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2
Tales of Graces F
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Disgaea D2
Crimson Shroud
Ni No Kuni
Tales of Xillia
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Xenoblade Chronicles
Growlanser IV: Wayfarer of Time
Rune Factory Oceans
Persona 4 Golden
Class of Heroes 2
Gungnir
Kingdom Hearts DDD
The Guided Fate Paradox
Pokemon X/Y (personally, not a fan, but millions of people are so I guess it has to be on this list...).

And in the next 1+ years we'll get stuff like

Witch & The Hundred Knigths
Tales of Xillia 2
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
X
Dark Souls II
Final Fantasy XV (probably/possibly)
Legend of Heroes:TitS SC
Lightning Returns
Phantasy Star Nova
Disgaea 4 (Vita version)
Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD
Ys: Celceta
Bravely Default
Drakengard III
Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD ReMix
and whatever I'm forgetting.

I'm glad I don't live in the same universe as some of you people do, that sounds like a horrible to place to live in.

Dragon

Banned
Screenshot of gameplay.

system-battle-img-01.png

Is that seriously ripping off the UI of Puzzles and Dragons?

Famassu

Are JRPG's that bad on mobile?

I don't see the problem as long as it's good.
Well, even though you'd think JRPGs (especially FF-like ones) don't need accuracy in controls, I still find playing anything where you have to move a character using a touchscreen-analogstick/d-pad/whatever very cumbersome. I mean, I guess the games are playable, but much in the way of Chrono Trigger & FFVI's PS1 ports & their loading times, it just starts to annoy you at some point when you remember other games on other platforms that do things way better.

Luthos

I feel like this thread's sole purpose was to get me excited and then kick me in the nads.

But god damn that music in the trailer was nice.

is there any story and characters in mobile jrpg? that's basically what I love the most about jrpg during the snes/ps1 days, great visual, interesting character, epic story, beautiful music etc etc.

There should be a rule to spare use of the cocktease. It should be, if any announcements are regarding something on mobile/iOS, the title should be "MOBILE:" and then header.

That aside, this kind of game is one I would LOVE on consoles. The world looks fantastic. I love Minaba's surreal-looking world designs(reminds me of very imaginative locations not unlike artistic visionaries such as Roger Dean and Jean Giraud). Would've loved to explore a massive world made up of THOSE type of locations.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
This sure doesn't look shy of using every cliche in the book, huh?
Bland.

There should be a rule to spare use of the cocktease. It should be, if any announcements are regarding something on mobile/iOS, the title should be "MOBILE:" and then header.

It's a safe assumption at this point that if the platform isn't listed in the thread title for a JRPG, it's mobile.

Some Nobody

What universe are you pessimistic silly people living in.

Just within the last year or two we've gotten
Fire Emblem Awakening
Etrian Odyssey IV
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Shin Megami Tensei Soul Hackers
several Atelier games
Final Fantasy XIV:ARR
Dragon's Crown
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2
Tales of Graces F
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Disgaea D2
Crimson Shroud
Ni No Kuni
Tales of Xillia
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Xenoblade Chronicles
Growlanser IV: Wayfarer of Time
Rune Factory Oceans
Persona 4 Golden
Class of Heroes 2
Gungnir
Kingdom Hearts DDD
The Guided Fate Paradox
Pokemon X/Y (personally, not a fan, but millions of people are so I guess it has to be on this list...).

And in the next 1+ years we'll get stuff like

Witch & The Hundred Knigths
Tales of Xillia 2
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
X
Dark Souls II
Final Fantasy XV (probably/possibly)
Legend of Heroes:TitS SC
Lightning Returns
Phantasy Star Nova
Disgaea 4 (Vita version)
Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD
Ys: Celceta
Bravely Default
Drakengard III
Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD ReMix
and whatever I'm forgetting.

I'm glad I don't live in the same universe as some of you people do, that sounds like a horrible to place to live in.

As someone who doesn't own a 3DS or a Vita, about how many titles are left when you get rid of portable titles? Just curious.

Anyway. Yeah this is sad, but I expected it. OP wasn't hype enough.

Jinko

Trailer looked awesome, gameplay screen looks bland as F.

Next !

Edit:- Music was good >.>

As someone who doesn't own a 3DS or a Vita, about how many titles are left when you get rid of portable titles? Just curious.

Anyway. Yeah this is sad, but I expected it. OP wasn't hype enough.

Solution:- Get a handheld ?

Most of the JRPGs last gen were on DS anyway.

Zafir

Well, that excitement disappeared quickly. I watched the trailer before reading the spoiler in the first post.... Bad idea. Got excited only to be disappointed two seconds later.
No, in fact there are many excellent ones.
Not many make it out of Japan though...

Eusis

As much as I'd want this on a dedicated handheld instead, so long as the gameplay systems are good, it gets a good English translation, doesn't have exploitative F2P systems, and lands on more than just the latest iteration of iOS devices I'm willing to dive in.

But it's going to fail at one or more of those I suspect. :/

Goli

Is that seriously ripping off the UI of Puzzles and Dragons?
P&D's UI is nothing like that.

As much as I'd want this on a dedicated handheld instead, so long as the gameplay systems are good, it gets a good English translation, doesn't have exploitative F2P systems, and lands on more than just the latest iteration of iOS devices I'm willing to dive in.

But it's going to fail at one or more of those I suspect. :/

It's coming to Mobage so it'll probably be on both iOS and Android. Hopefully Mobage localizes it! They did localize Fantasica so I think this might get localized as well.

Also, more screenshots and art:
game2.jpg

game3.jpg

game4.jpg

Protagonist
syujinko.jpg

Sutsurumu
a2.jpg

Shero
b2.jpg

Bii
c1.jpg

Catalina
d.jpg

Lulia
e.jpg

Marie
f.jpg

Black Knight
g.jpg

Rakam
h.jpg

luokyl

P&D's UI is nothing like that.

It's coming to Mobage so it'll probably be on both iOS and Android. Hopefully Mobage localizes it! They did localize Fantasica so I think this might get localized as well.

Also, more screenshots and art:
game2.jpg

game3.jpg

game4.jpg

Protagonist
syujinko.jpg

Sutsurumu
a2.jpg

Shero
b2.jpg

Bii
c1.jpg

Catalina
d.jpg

Lulia
e.jpg

Marie
f.jpg

Black Knight
g.jpg

Rakam
h.jpg

*Jaw drops*
Looks amazing.

Are JRPG's that bad on mobile?

I don't see the problem as long as it's good.

It will probably be pretty good, but I personally would rather play it on my big HDTV with HD graphics and surround sound, not on a tiny screen. I knew it was on mobile when I saw the title for some peculiar reason. Oh well....

Zukuu

Banned
>__> dat build up title.

Game looks dreadful. And for the love of god, I can't see androgyny teen-heroes anymore. It's just tiresome.

Top Bottom