• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming “Blockbuster” JRPG Starring Nobuo Uematsu is Granblue Fantasy, Gets Trailer

Famassu

As someone who doesn't own a 3DS or a Vita, about how many titles are left when you get rid of portable titles? Just curious.

several Atelier games
Final Fantasy XIV:ARR
Dragon's Crown
Tales of Graces F
Disgaea D2
Ni No Kuni
Tales of Xillia
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Xenoblade Chronicles
Rune Factory Oceans
Disgaea 4
The Guided Fate Paradox

And in the next 1+ years we'll get stuff like

Witch & The Hundred Knights
Tales of Xillia 2
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
X
Dark Souls II
Final Fantasy XV (probably/possibly)
Lightning Returns
Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD
Drakengard III
Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD ReMix

Not quite as good, but still a pretty decent list. And, again, that's only the last 2-ish years. For the whole console generation, the situation would of course look better.

DJIzana

Sigh... this game. Has literally EVERYTHING I want in a JRPG yet... it's on mobile, as always.

If something of this caliber, in terms of art style, aesthetics, combat, had an explorable overworld and was on an HD system, I'd literally be set. I would probably never play any other video game... ever. I'm not even lying about that either.

When I was a wee little boy trolling the GameFAQs forums some years ago I saw a top ten list that listed Uematsu as one of the top industry figures (I believe it was this one). Now fast forward 6 years and now his name is attached to shovelware mobile titles. It's kind of funny in that cruel and unusual sense.

Jinko

It's coming to Mobage so it'll probably be on both iOS and Android. Hopefully Mobage localizes it! They did localize Fantasica so I think this might get localized as well.

It's guna my shoulders deep in IAP then, don't want !

Why can't these companies just release normal priced games :(

Goli

When I was a wee little boy trolling the GameFAQs forums some years ago I saw a top ten list that listed Uematsu as one of the top industry figures (I believe it was this one). Now fast forward 6 years and now his name is attached to shovelware mobile titles. It's kind of funny in that cruel and unusual sense.

How can you call this shovel ware without having even played it?
The prejudice many people have here towards mobile games is just...
tumblr_lr9laavS831qafrh6.gif

Tabris

Well here's 2 things that automatically make me prejudice against mobile games:

A) Most of us can't play this game because it's released on some Japanese mobile platform.

B) The touch screen doesn't lend itself to RPG controls. You need a proper dpad or analog if 3D. With the current control format (1/4th the screen emulating controls), your thumbs take up a huge amount of screen space.

GooeyHeat

I only clicked this thread because I thought it was about a JRPG where you played as Nobuo Uematsu.

We need more really silly video games that star real people. Jackie Chan in Fists of Fire, Shaq-Fu, Barkley: Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand... All of these (other than Shaq Fu) prove that they can be good.

Also, waaah, mobile. I suppose that needed to be here somewhere.

Goli

A) Most of us can't play this game because it's released on some Japanese mobile platform.

B) The touch screen doesn't lend itself to RPG controls. You need a proper dpad or analog if 3D. With the current control format (1/4th the screen emulating controls), your thumbs take up a huge amount of screen space.

It's not like all mobile games are Japanese or RPGs. In the case of this and other Mobage games, I'm pretty sure you can play them outside of Japan (whether people know Japanese or not is another thing) and even if you couldn't Mobage does exist out of Japan and they're pretty successful too, which is why I think they're gonna localize this and whatever other big RPGs they have now, like Magic and Cannon.
And regarding the controls, not all games use emulated d-pads nowadays, a lot have new control methods better suited to small touch screens (though a lot of people don't seem to have a problem with emulated d-pads, myself included). And most of these games are also playable on other smart devices, like an iPad or an Android tablet where your thumbs or whatever other fingers you use don't take up much space.

It's a Mobage title. Even if you really like Mobile games there output are nothing but shitty F2P titles that's main purpose is to suck your wallet dry through microtransactions before they shutdown a few months after launch.

I'll give you A, but B makes no sense unless you play iPad games by sticking your hand in the middle of the screen.

But why am I defending this game anyway? There are plenty of mobile JRPGs available that aren't IAP-laden card-based crap like this

I wouldn't be opposed to playing this. As long as its B2P and not F2P, doesn't have some stupid stamina system, and if it is F2P, the economy is reasonable.

clem84

Gold Member
This industry to going to the crapper = confirmed. I don't have a smartphone and I probably never will so I won't play this game.

Goli

So is it typical card based IAP RPG???
The game's gonna be free with IAP, but it doesn't seem like a typical card based RPG since here every character appears to have some relevance to the story, we'll have to wait until more details are released to know for sure.

Thaster

This thread title had really got to get edited to include "mobile" to prevent people like me from getting to excited.

Mr. RHC

Nobuo Uematsu's fall from greatness is in line with Square's fall from greatness. Uematsu's music is so bland now.

XO4p93k.gif

The best drama post I've read in a while!
Only the Kotaku stamp ruins the beautiful gif =(

Uematsu is like the coolest video game composer on the planet. And one of the best composers in the world, that is! He is also touring the world with Arnie Roth doing Final Fantasy concerts. He is the shit!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s1Mfc2IRGg

"Fall from greatness"... wow, somewhere out there a Chocobo is crying right now...

Gammacide

Not putting "Mobile" in the thread title is some of the more dastardly shit around. I will not be giving a toss about the next new spectacular MOBILE JRPG ffs.

Top Bottom