• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much would you give away if you want the lottery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
Let's say you won the powerball jackpot that paid out $50 million after taxes. Would you give any of it away to friends, family, or charity?

Probably pay a few friends/family members college bills, make sure my parents won't want during their newfound do retirement, donate a bunch to animal shelters, then stash the rest away for retirement.

I would give away a lot of money to a lot of people I felt deserved it.

I would be one of those little twitch donators people hate for being rich too.

I'd show my siblings & in laws some love, and I'd buy so much goddamn LEGO.

Then my wife would make me give away at least 60-75% of it to charity.

Salamando

Set up about 500k for friends and family, with an accountant hired to determine "worthiness" of handouts. Buying a house with another 500k, and the rest is getting invested. That interest will keep me from having to work another day.

I'd make sure my parents could retire comfortably, donate some to a local no-kill animal shelter and probably invest most of what's left.

50 million? I could "give away" 10 million to family and friends, use 30 million to make the world a better place and keep 10 million for myself.

Charity. But I would study different ones and put into charities or funds that other wealthy donors support that are sustainable. If I was on my deathbed and didn't have time to do that I would just drop it all into the Red Cross.

CSX

20% to family
40% for investment/bonds

40% to spend on my own. Once everything settles down, i'll probably donate half of the 40% i have left.

ZOONAMI

I would give half away, most to charity, and enough for my parents to 100% be set up for retirement (they already are pretty well set up I believe) and 100k to my brother and sister each, and invest and save the remainder.

I would give family more down the line, but tell them that the idea here is to invest it to let it grow before we just ransack it.

F**k you, got mine.

Just kidding, 10% of my winnings to charity and another 10% to fight the pineapple on pizza epidemic

Jonnax

I'd pay close family's mortgages off, help them out with any business ventures they have. Though only the ones that aren't living in luxury

In terms of charitable causes I think that's enough money to have an active role in doing things. So I'd set myself up to have a home/passive income. Then work on funding charitable projects that are small enough in scope whilst having a measurable that I can fund multiple and see it bear fruit.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
If everything goes to plan, no one will know I won hypothetically won the lottery.
I would give a portion out and help when I could, but I would try to keep the image of "free money" out of peoples head.

jiggles

Banned
I'd pay off my family's mortgages, give them all 100k each, throw a million to charity and spend a third of what's left.

sensui-tomo

I'd pay for a lawyer first off, make sure we find a way where i can give money to friends and family(not intermediate) without it biting me in the ass, Give them all around 5k and give college funds for the younger children. Start donating to certain charities/Getting water for families in Flint Michigan(i live in michigan). Give $500 to coworkers in my area. Buy a good house(good in terms of investment) and use 500k for fun shit, use the rest in investments and food. Then for my immediate family, i'd find a way to give them a bigger sum of cash while still being legally not responsible for whatever they do with it (thanks with help from lawyer) and pay off my mom's current debts and get us all a trip to Hawaii or some shit.

Basically divide 20 mil between my immediate family and cousins, 20 mil in low risk investments, with yearly interest garnished equally divided in perpetuity to the same group.

RinsFury

I'd help out my sister, pay off her house, and maybe use ten million to set up a trust for student scholarships. I don't know of I could part with much more than that, I've never had anything so it's painful to imagine giving it away.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
10% to charity sounds like the right number.

Would have to take care of my family members too.

clemenx

Banned
Cash? 0

Treats for my close friends? Sure. Whatever my mom and dad want for an enjoyable elder years. Also for my sister if she needs help.

More than that, no.

I'd set up my immediate family for life, pay for college for my best friends' kids (that think of me as an uncle), and I would continue living my normal life. Still work, still live in a pretty similar manner that I do now. I would just invest and save everything else to build generational wealth for my family.

I can without a doubt say a lot of money wouldn't change me. I know plenty probably do say that but I'm way too content and happy with how I live now. Guaranteed financial security would just take another worry off my plate.

A quarter of it would end up going to family/charity and to ensure my younger siblings have a college fund, a third would be invested to grow and to ensure I don't do something foolish. The rest would be for me to just live and play with.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Assuming $50 million is the amount I actually bring home:

$15 million for me
$5 million to friends and family
$30 million to make the world a better place

The Kree

Banned
I'd give away most of it to friends and family. I don't think I'd need more than a few million to live comfortably for the rest of my life. I don't want kids or marriage and my hobbies are cheap.

Really depends on whether that money changes me. I don't see myself donating/giving away more than half, but maybe I turn into a selfish greedy recluse and keep it all.

rokkerkory

Likely half.

15m to my immediate family (parents, sis, etc)
5m to rest of extended family, likely to my nephews and nieces college funds
5 to charity

25m to save for future generation

meow

I would give money to my immediate family (mother, father, sister), and maybe my maternal grandparents. I wouldn't give anything to aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. (why) or my paternal grandparents (they are huge assholes).

Would not give money straight up to friends either, but would probably buy them some nice things. I would also give to charities.

All of the above would be done with an eye towards maximum tax benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom