• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Powerball is up to 1.9 billion now. What would you do with it?

kapshin

ET8O3Cw.jpeg

Jennings

I'd give it all to my favorite camgirls. I don't want that money. Historically, lottery winners live horrible, short lives.

Trogdor1123

I’d buy a massive ranch in the middle of nowhere and build it to be as self sufficient as possible, energy and food production wise.

I’d ride horses all day and run the ranch. Id essentially return to nature…

Build a massive house underground bomb shelter for my family and a few others with key skills I would want post apocalypse…. Cause reasons

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think 1.9 billion dollars is outside my (or probably any of ours) comprehension of money. This is 1,900 x $1,000,000, meaning you would have enough money to give nearly 2,000 of your closest friends a million dollars each. If you're like me, you don't even know that many people. If you make $100,000 in a year at your job, this would be like getting 19,000 years worth of income at once.

Even the annuity winnings for this (after taxes) are right around $40,000,000 per year. That's over $3,000,000 per month, for the rest of your life. What would you even spend that on? Three million dollars is probably more than I'll make before I retire - you could buy a very nice house and a new car and probably set yourself up for life... and then 30 days later you have another three million dollars to play with.

It's a fun thought experiment, but you have to realize that with this amount of money at your disposal - money becomes entirely irrelevant.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I’d buy a massive ranch in the middle of nowhere and build it to be as self sufficient as possible, energy and food production wise.

I’d ride horses all day and run the ranch. Id essentially return to nature…

Build a massive house underground bomb shelter for my family and a few others with key skills I would want post apocalypse…. Cause reasons

I would be scared of living remote. You don’t have access to emergency services, police, or hospitals. Better case would be to live in a gated community instead I reckon. Alarms, fencing, and firearms only go so far. Sometimes you will want an ambulance or cops.

At least thats how I would feel with a family. If I was alone or just with a girlfriend then fuck it.

Aesius

I would invest half of it in low risk mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities.

Ellery

A huge cooling off period of at least 1 - 2 years and get things in order so it doesn't blow over my head.

Porsche 911 GT3 RS
Porsche Panamera Turbo S Sport Turismo
Comfy house in switzerland
Invest a huge part into materials and boring stocks like coca cola, nestlé, mcdonalds etc.
Secretly set up funds for family and friends which they will get in some way or the other. This is a huge problem to figure out.

Overall nothing too fancy. I have no idea how it would affect me, but I hope I don't end up buying yachts, castles or try to gear a single diablo immortal char with microtransactions.

DKehoe

A huge cooling off period of at least 1 - 2 years and get things in order so it doesn't blow over my head.

Porsche 911 GT3 RS
Invest a huge part into materials and boring stocks like coca cola, nestlé, mcdonalds etc.
Secretly set up funds for family and friends which they will get in some way or the other. This is a huge problem to figure out.

Overall nothing too fancy. I have no idea how it would affect me, but I hope I don't end up buying yachts, castles or try to gear a single diablo immortal char with microtransactions.
I'm just curious, if you had that much why bother investing like that? Don't you already have more money than you will ever need?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

Porsche 911 GT3 RS

No one is promised tomorrow

I'd blow it all on baccarat , except 100 million+. Then pay for a message on every major network for 30 seconds (not part of the 100 mil) Explaining that I blew the majority on baccarat on purpose and to go get fucked. Invest half then live remotely with built out areas for sustainable water and hydro power + build out internet. Farm my own land, sell surplus to areas around me. Die happy, leave my shit to a hot woman that bore my children, who are all militarily trained and trained in accounting. That way, when I am dead, they can run with it.

Ellery

I'm just curious, if you had that much why bother investing like that? Don't you already have more money than you will ever need?

It is not about investing to get richer, but to be mindful and having assets is singificantly better than cash money.

Cash money as we know it is fiat currency and fiat currency means that the state, institute, zones or central banks decide what the paper is worth. The money is not backed by anything other than the promise of the economy of that region to be stable and we have seen fiat currency collapse countless times in history.

Farmland, materials, stocks are better. Of course I'd keep some cash and liquid assets, but I am certainly not going to have 1 billion (or however much is actually left when you take the win) laying on the bank. That would be the last thing I'd do.

Last edited:
Drop $200 million on Andrew Wilson's doorstep to make a new Burnout game.
I was thinking get in touch with square about funding an ff7 remake with the current remakes graphics but everything else faithful to the originals. Like the entire original game but with remakes visual quality.

Top Bottom