• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Powerball is up to 1.9 billion now. What would you do with it?

0neAnd0nly

Continue to help my mom with finances during her cancer treatment.

Feel secure financially enough to be able to have another child with my wonderful wife.

Buy every person in here who commented on my thread about my moms cancer a year of Gold.

Buy a nice house, nothing too crazy.

Help my father, who is a cancer survivor, but his house is falling apart find a new home.

Massive donations to my church and a couple non profits I support for children and animals. Random GoFundMe donations.

The rest would be put into savings for my childrens future to hopefully be the best it can be.

The correct answer is to invest and live off the investments. Make your money work for you so you can do whatever you want for the rest of your life.
With dividend index stocks you'd get tens of millions a year in dividends + compounding growth from increased stock valuation and dividend reinvestment. Essentially expect about 11% annual growth rate of your investments, while still being able to use tens of millions a year in dividends without spending a dime of the principal.

Even if one claims anonymously a few people would know one has that sum, including the lawyers involved in claiming it anonymously. I suggest a strong security detail as one of if not the first move after claiming.

As for after that I'd want to make a videogame making company and a biotech company. Want to make cool indie projects, and also dwarf long lived versions of cats and dogs. Would also be cool to try and engineer some of the various modifications seen in ageless animals into short lived ones to see which ones are the best. Ideally one would be able to create immortal pets that do not suffer from aging, and similar technology could later be applied to humans.

Trogdor1123

I would be scared of living remote. You don’t have access to emergency services, police, or hospitals. Better case would be to live in a gated community instead I reckon. Alarms, fencing, and firearms only go so far. Sometimes you will want an ambulance or cops.

At least thats how I would feel with a family. If I was alone or just with a girlfriend then fuck it.
It’s a fair concern but I have family with a wide variety skills. A nurse, a doctor, several trades. We would fair ok in the apocalypse i think lol

The everyday bit would be an issue i agree but with that much money you would be able to afford a helicopter for medical reasons. if you had that much land you could probabl defend your land easily too.

I totally agree with it being a concern though. Just depends on your risk tolerance I guess

Outside of giving some money to family and certain charities….
1) Start some scholarships for up and coming minds.
2) Start an independent movie studio and green light a few movies I’ve been wanting to see.
3) Give the rest to “Star Citizen” Devs, cause maybe it will be just enough to get a full release this decade!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Buy all of my family and friends houses, put 100 million into a money market account, then go about charitable endeavors until I die.

wvnative

I was thinking get in touch with square about funding an ff7 remake with the current remakes graphics but everything else faithful to the originals. Like the entire original game but with remakes visual quality.
What we got was exactly what I envisiond...

But I'd be down for that too!

Elginer

Pay off my debt, build a house with a mother in law one bedroom apartment behind it for my Dad who’s retired and healing from cancer surgery. Paint my car. Get veneers and open a small comic book/sci-fi/ horror indie shop to have something to do for fun and keep myself busy.

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
I would keep an amount of money that would allow me to live very comfortably and be able to travel anywhere and start any hobby I want. In the range of 8-10 millions would probably be enough for that.

The rest would be targeted to where it would do the most good, hospitals, homeless shelters, etc... Maybe also to help specific people who are in a tough spot from time to time.

edit: Oh... Maybe I would open an arcade. lol

Last edited:

badblue

One point Nine Billion Dollars you say?

I'd buy an Island.

Rangyai Island in Thailand is only $160,000,000

_597_image_fe02c338d8.jpg-1360-1100.jpg

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I don't need an island, but I'd love to buy an aircraft carrier and replicate a nice beach on the flight deck :p

MrA

Banned
Make a movie thats a fictionalized account of some making a fictionalized account of Harry potters extra fictionalized weird als biography and give it like 8 subtitles

jason10mm

Gold Member
Imagine a reality show based on Brewsters Millions (the premise of which, for you younger heathens who might have missed out on this little gem, is you have to spend 30 million in 30 days but at the end have NOTHING left to show for it and can't tell anyone what you are doing).

NahaNago

Probably Rebuild my parents home. Then pay all of my families debts. Put money down for all of the relatives kids colleges in the future. Give my mom a bunch of money to spend on her family overseas. Donate money to the small Christian school I went to. Then for the most part vacation in Asia for a couple of years before I slowly make the next squareenix/capcom/konami company. Oh yeah, forgot I'd give my family all some money so that they can stop working if they want to.

Oh yeah, I'd also create an anime company that paid decent salaries and also make a new manga/comic publishing company.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Pay for all 4 of my siblings' houses and cars and treat them all to vacations of their choosings. Plus 10 million each. And do the same for my best friends.

Throw a small birthday party for when I turn 50 in 2024. But it'll have a magician, arcade and Lazer tag! And ALL of my favorite foods and spirits!

And I'd settle down in my own house. Nothing grand. A $500k house with security in a nice neighborhood in Atlanta... And a second house back home in Mississippi.

Buy my dad a nice house... And a chauffeur to drive him wherever he wants.

Get my mom a new car... Her house is already nice and paid for.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I'd invest everything as soon as I get the lump sum. Across different investment avenues of course, then just live off all the dividends/returns of course.

Blade2.0

I wouldn't be going to work tomorrow I can tell you that much. Probably dump 90% in Bitcoin and wait for it to inevitably become hot again. Sell when it hits near its new highest value, then be a real billionaire. Buy news outlets and be George soros/peter thiel

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Pay for all 4 of my siblings' houses and cars and treat them all to vacations of their choosings. Plus 10 million each. And do the same for my best friends.

Throw a small birthday party for when I turn 50 in 2024. But it'll have a magician, arcade and Lazer tag! And ALL of my favorite foods and spirits!

And I'd settle down in my own house. Nothing grand. A $500k house with security in a nice neighborhood in Atlanta... And a second house back home in Mississippi.

Buy my dad a nice house... And a chauffeur to drive him wherever he wants.

Get my mom a new car... Her house is already nice and paid for.
You should buy the houses and cars in your name and let your siblings live there. That way they don't have to pay taxes in them

HoodWinked

the interest rates are really ballooning the winnings. $1.9 billion is apparently the highest ever.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

OK I caved and got 8 tickets for $3 each. I didn't realize the $2 tickets were enough for the jackpot - should have bought 12 regular tickets but oh well. I even started to imagine what I would do with the money, which I never do because I think lottos are stupid, tax on the poor, etc... wow am I a drone with no lack of self control or what? This isn't me!

I've played a handful of times previously when prizes got really big and was encouraged by my mom, including a couple of times when it was a work group pooling purchases.* But yeah they should ban lottos or implement some sort of cap on how many tickets can be bought or something.

*I remember thinking I sorta had to get involved in the work group pool cause like what if they won and I didn't buy on the principle of the matter... I'd be the only dumbass showing up still working.

Last edited:

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Put up this morning, wonder if someone actually grabbed these.. Jackpot is already at 2.04 BILLION.

10-33-41-47-56-10

GladiusFrog

I'd carefully give it all away to needy families and charity, every last dime.
Would be cool to help end some peoples suffering.

I wouldn't be going to work tomorrow I can tell you that much. Probably dump 90% in Bitcoin and wait for it to inevitably become hot again. Sell when it hits near its new highest value, then be a real billionaire. Buy news outlets and be George soros/peter thiel

You don't have to go to risky crypto. Also we don't know how crypto laws will change once the central bank digital currencies are launched. If you put half a billion into bitcoin there's no telling how that would affect the market if you tried to sell in mass. Index stocks like VOO sp500 index essentially double in value about every 7 years. That means in 7 years you've over a billion, and in 14 years you've over 2 billions. And these are diversified investments. OF course past performance is not predictor of future performance, and the global economy could collapse, but great investor Buffet recommends sp500 index iirc.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Ticket sold in cali, huh? Wonder if it was an individual or a business pool running a high risk high reward speculative investment.

Top Bottom