• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

rc213

Hey hey, Been playing Zelda for about a week going in completely blind. Gotta say the mechanics are pretty good so far. Had been following the main story line until I beat the Waterblight Gannon. Past couple days I've been walking to every corner on the map looking for the farthest shrine possible climbing everything to get around enemies. Ended up going through a desert up a mountain and found a shrine that had to be defrosted.

Any basic tips/hints of stuff that should be done/not missed. Can't wait to head in the opposite direction to next edge of the map.

How many orbs do you have left? Zero or two? If it is two then you are indeed missing two shrines.

If you've activated the shrine but not completed it, the outer edges of the icon will be blue, and the inner shape will be orange. It can be hard to spot the difference without looking closely, especially on a smaller screen or at a distance.

Thank you so much! There were indeed two shrines uncompleted, both of them were one of the very easy ones where you just have to collect the orb without any challenge. No idea how they slipped trough.

Hey hey, Been playing Zelda for about a week going in completely blind. Gotta say the mechanics are pretty good so far. Had been following the main story line until I beat the Waterblight Gannon. Past couple days I've been walking to every corner on the map looking for the farthest shrine possible climbing everything to get around enemies. Ended up going through a desert up a mountain and found a shrine that had to be defrosted.

Any basic tips/hints of stuff that should be done/not missed. Can't wait to head in the opposite direction to next edge of the map.

You should definitely shield surf down a snowy mountain if you haven't already. Hold ZL, jump and press A if you didn't know how to already.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Okay, I'm a bit upset right now. I did all the remaining shrines with help from a guide a couple of days ago. After I finished the last shrine, my loading screen counter still said 118. I thought the guide was incomplete and triedthis interactive map today, carefully comparing every shrine and marking it on the interactive map but still no dice. I'm about 99% sure that I've got all of the shrines. My loading screen counter still says 118 though and
the outfit quest hasn't triggered yet

Anything that can be done at this point?
Make sure none of them are a different colour on the map. If they are then that means you found them but never completed them.

EDIT: Didn't notice the new page.

Nictel

Thank you so much! There were indeed two shrines uncompleted, both of them were one of the very easy ones where you just have to collect the orb without any challenge. No idea how they slipped trough.

Maybe completing the environment puzzle was the last thing you did before quitting and you forgot to enter the shrine at the start of your next game session? Or you're like me: I once ran off after being excited for completing the puzzle that I forgot to actually enter the shrine.

atr0cious

Found the best outfit setup in game.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01mqovs.jpg

Link is really pretty.

Rodin

120 hours in, i'm still amazed by the sheer brilliance of this game. Just found a door in Hebra and the solution to open it put a big smile on my face.

atr0cious

Wait, there's an outfit with even more than 3 points in stealth?

Edit: Ok so quotes and spoilers do not play well together on dark theme.
If you're talking about the
brown bottoms
those are
snow boots you get from friend zoning some weeaboo out of his boots.

WPS

If you're talking about the
brown bottoms
those are
snow boots you get from friend zoning some weeaboo out of his boots.

Haha, no I was being very sarcastic because your post rendered as two empty quote boxes on my browser and I couldn't see the spoiler tags. I thought you'd failed to post anything somehow.

Chitown B

Which? I hoarded gems and don't recall needing them in any real numbers for anything useful.

I did regret buying all the enemy pictures. Would have helped prolong the game if I went on a photo safari of enemies. All it did was make me go 'yep that's some photos'

I find rubies the most useful

sazzy

There are 4 elements in the game.

Water (Zora)
Fire (Goron)
Ice
Electric

The first two are always with those two races.

It would look stupid to pair ice with the desert.

So electric it is.

pariah164

Walked up to the tower. Used the scope to mark a shrine. Realize its outside of the plains after wandering around for about 30 minutes.

ChzUb.jpg

How do I open world?

Zero²

So it seems I managed 86 hours and still have 2 divine beasts to beat plus half of the regions undiscovered... God dammit hahah :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How often does the game auto save? I'm regretting buying all the enemy photos from hateno lab because now I have nothing to do so I'm hoping I can backtrack to an earlier save. Then I can play Pokemon snap but with bokoblins

I have 119 shrines. Where is the last one?

Right there. No..left a bit

Seriously though there was a list somewhere showing how many shrines in each area which may be helpful. There are also online lists and maps showing exactly where they are

Have you done all the shrine quests? On the adventure log screen it'll say xx/42. It's possible if you are missing a shrine quest that the shrine won't show up on the shine sensor

Zakalwe

Banned
I found the first thing I actually hate about this game: rain.

I'm currently near a small cliff I need to climb, it's too high in the rain. There's no shelter nearby to build a fire and wait, and the only option I see is to walk for some time to find shelter, build a fire, wait, then walk back.

I'm sure plenty of you have argued why the mechanic is good before, but you're not going to convince me this is a good gameplay mechanic unless I'm missing something obvious.

Please tell me I am because this aspect is a real downer when exploring and so far exploring is my favorite part of the game.

EDIT: finally found some shelter and waited by a fire, but it' also still raining. Waited again and... still rain.

Do some areas constantly rain? How are you supposed to work around this?

I feel like I'm missing something, it can't be this awkward...

I understand the frustration of not being able to climb easily in the rain, but that's when the Sheikah Gear and shock weapons come out. Shock weapons are buffed and footsteps are muffled in the rain. You can horribly cheese the rain with a certain gear set and Lv. 3 speed boost anyway.

Red

I'm currently near a small cliff I need to climb, it's too high in the rain. There's no shelter nearby to build a fire and wait, and the only option I see is to walk for some time to find shelter, build a fire, wait, then walk back.

I'm sure plenty of you have argued why the mechanic is good before, but you're not going to convince me this is a good gameplay mechanic unless I'm missing something obvious.

Please tell me I am because this aspect is a real downer when exploring and so far exploring is my favorite part of the game.

EDIT: finally found some shelter and waited by a fire, but it' also still raining. Waited again and... still rain.

Some areas don't stop raining. I've climbed pretty high in rain with an upgraded stamina wheel + stamina recovery food. It can be managed.

caramac

I don't know how far into the game you are or if you put any limitations on how you play it but if you've completed the
Divine Beast Vah Medoh quest you could always try Revali's Gale.

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't know how far into the game you are or if you put any limitations on how you play it but if you've completed the
Divine Beast Vah Medoh quest you could always try Revali's Gale.

Some areas don't stop raining. I've climbed pretty high in rain with an upgraded stamina wheel + stamina recovery food. It can be managed.

How am I supposed to know which ares do and don't? Is there any way to tell beyond spamming campfires and noticing it never stops?

I'm trying to reach one of the mythical beasts. When the marks appear on your map it's the one in the bottom right. It seems to be surrounded by cliffs and at no point along the cliff face can I find a spot that's low enough for me to climb with my current stamina in this constant rain.

Is there another way to reach this point without climbing? Is this one of the areas that never stops raining?

Thanks for the replies!

Rain is absolutely the worst thing about this game. There needs to be an update that lessens its frequency/duration.

I also wish time moved slower.

Time does move too quickly imo, and rain is far too frequent so far. I hope it evens out later on as my stamina improves etc...

Anybody got the WiiU and Switch version? Is it worth double dipping and starting again?
Got the WiiU version already but I've got a Switch on the way tomorrow.

Thanks.

Is this one of the areas with constant rain then? If so, is there anyway to tell areas like this in-game?

The power of this game is in finding things out for yourself. Don't select a mission and try to take the shortest route to it on the map. Maybe you can search for a tower nearby? And see if there's a path leading towards to location of the divine beast.

Take your time, walk around, talk to NPC's.

Thanks.

Is this one of the areas with constant rain then? If so, is there anyway to tell areas like this in-game?

If you're where I think you are, this should be the only area that constantly rains and that's caused by the divine beast nearby. It'll go to normal weather once that's done.

Anybody got the WiiU and Switch version? Is it worth double dipping and starting again?
Got the WiiU version already but I've got a Switch on the way tomorrow.

I have both, and it's worth it to be able to play anywhere. I've already completed it on the Wii U, but I'm playing through at lunchtime at work and it's been a godsend!

Red

What's the point of the thunder at the thunder plateau? It doesn't seem to factor into the puzzle in any way. There's just one sword to attract lightning, and it's barely a hazard.

Pokemaniac

What's the point of the thunder at the thunder plateau? It doesn't seem to factor into the puzzle in any way. There's just one sword to attract lightning, and it's barely a hazard.

It can help move the orbs if you put metal things next to them. It mostly seems to be flavor, though.

Chinbo37

The complaints about the rain are strange to me.

I have explored more than 50% but less than 75% of the map.

First, I love the rain and the way it looks (I love rain in real life too).

But most importantly it only really rains a lot in two areas that I have encountered so far (1 -
Zora, which is part of the story and that changes once you progress
, and 2 -
Akala or whatever (upper right) and there it just rains a lot thats it but there isnt even that much stuff to climb
).

Maybe there is some other areas which rain a lot that I havent been to?

Nictel

What is a good way too download photos taken with the slate? (Switch)
The way I would do it now is
- Screenshot the picture
- Send to twitter
- Download from twitter
;_; is there an easier way?

I have both, and it's worth it to be able to play anywhere. I've already completed it on the Wii U, but I'm playing through at lunchtime at work and it's been a godsend!

That does sound nice, but I'm not really into playing on the go. Mainly play the WiiU version on the gamepad though.
Are the joycons comfortable to hold while attached to the screen?
The performance and image quality boost worthwhile?

Red

The complaints about the rain are strange to me.

I have explored more than 50% but less than 75% of the map.

First, I love the rain and the way it looks (I love rain in real life too).

But most importantly it only really rains a lot in two areas that I have encountered so far (1 -
Zora, which is part of the story and that changes once you progress
, and 2 -
Akala or whatever (upper right) and there it just rains a lot thats it but there isnt even that much stuff to climb
).

Maybe there is some other areas which rain a lot that I havent been to?
I disliked the rain at first, but I've come to enjoy it. I don't find it visually interesting too often—it muddies the image, which is sometimes muddy to begin with, spoiled by low res textures, an abundance of earth tones, and an application of haze. It obscures the distance view, which is one of the game's most impressive tricks, and makes everything sort of dreary. But it forces a change in tactics, and it's that reactive survivalist ethos that I enjoy most in BotW.

benjammin

That does sound nice, but I'm not really into playing on the go. Mainly play the WiiU version on the gamepad though.
Are the joycons comfortable to hold while attached to the screen?
The performance and image quality boost worthwhile?
The joycons are comfortable enough. By themselves they're tiny and awkward to use if you have bigger hands. But attached to the console they feel much better.

atr0cious

But it forces a change in tactics, and it's that reactive survivalist ethos that I enjoy most in BotW.
Love this. Just spent the morning fighting a hinox in a thunderstorm. Eventually got lighting to strike it but it only took like an 18th of it's health and then it was time to panic.

Top Bottom