• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3: Ingame XMB confirmed

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Kittonwy said:
I would take in-game xmb over custom soundtrack, that can come later, let's get the most important things out of the way first.
Indifferent2.gif

Custom soundtracks >>>> cross game invites/messages.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
ThePeter said:
Last year's GDC: Backround Downloading.
This year's GDC: Ingame Friendslist.
Next year's GDC: Videogames to play since the PS3 has none hur-hur.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
xewndar1 said:
so can someone explain what in game XMB will do? like what specifically will this let you do? thanks

Probably, when it comes, it'll start out as just friends list access, and maybe another menu for game related options (such as those that currently come up when you press the home button).

steinmc

sprocket said:
360 custom sound tracks are not in its os. devs put it in. You cant use custom soundtracks on any game.

That´s not correct. Just press the Xbox Button Guide and you will be ablo to use custom soundtracks for every Xbox360 Game

Dante

Insane Metal said:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

So we can´t really wait for BIG news, is that correct?

Damn... :(

GDC is just........GDC. The reason Home and LBP were unveiled at that big event was it related to the Game 2.0 keynote. Big games aren't generally rolled out in E3 type fashion. However, there's lots of cool stuff that gets shown at the showfloor booths, usually stuff that is related somewhat to game development, and at the sessions.

Truespeed

Zeke said:
its up to devs not sony

If they can provide in game XMB then why would custom soundtracks be that difficult? Sure it may interfere or get in the way of a game that doesn't acknowledge it, but the implementation is entirely feasible.

What a misleading thread title.. Fuck!
Since when is "Talk to others" the confirmation for in-game XMB??!!

Thread title should be changed to "BREAKING NEWS: VOICE CHAT FOR PS3 CONFIRMED!"

:/

sprocket

Banned
steinmc said:
That´s not correct. Just press the Xbox Button Guide and you will be ablo to use custom soundtracks for every Xbox360 Game

you can have it play at the same time yes. But its not REPLACING the music like games that say CUSTOM SOUND TRACKS.

steinmc

sprocket said:
you can have it play at the same time yes. But its not REPLACING the music like games that say CUSTOM SOUND TRACKS.

If you choose a custom soundtrack from your Xbox Button Guide, the music from the game is stopped. You won`t hear both music at the same time.

Speevy

Banned
Who cares about custom soundtracks?

In-Game XMB connects the online and offline experience, which greatly increases the likelihood that the PS3 community will flourish.

I'd much rather have in game messaging than custom soundtrack any day.

At least we will get some more Home info next week. If it's still due for spring. It begins March 20th this year and ends June 20th.

antiloop

Speevy said:
Who cares about custom soundtracks?

In-Game XMB connects the online and offline experience, which greatly increases the likelihood that the PS3 community will flourish.

Yes, seriously.

Kittonwy

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
In-Game XBM will be a dumbed down version of the XMB and it'll only have the Network tab.

Wait and see.

As long as people can press the Playstation button and go into the xmb to message each other back and forth while playing completely different games, that's all I really ask for.
Indifferent2.gif

Snah

Banned
Custom Soundtracks are freaking stupid.

I don't want to listen to Justin Timberlake while I'm playing God of War 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, or Killzone 2.

The only benefit of custom soundtrack support is for arcade(y) games, and I think most devs will easily be able to provide it.

Anyway it's disappointing that Sony doesn't have a GDC press conference this year. WTF?

deepbrown

Metalmurphy said:
In-Game XBM will be a dumbed down version of the XMB and it'll only have the Network tab.

Wait and see.
I don't care!! We know that already...we don't want to watch videos during etc. What we want is ingame messaging, so we can actually organize a Warhawk match with our friends. For Gawds sake won't someone please help us!

Kittonwy said:
As long as people can press the Playstation button and go into the xmb to message each other back and forth while playing completely different games, that's all I really ask for.
Indifferent2.gif

Unless they add a IM mode (Yes Sony we really freaking need it), It'll be pretty useless. I'm happy it's there when I REALLY need to msg someone, but other then that I won't see my self using that antiquated mail system. I'd rather not chat then chat in that.

deepbrown

Snah said:

I don't want to listen to Justin Timberlake while I'm playing God of War 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, or Killzone 2.

The only benefit of custom soundtrack support is for arcade(y) games, and I think most devs will easily be able to provide it.

Anyway it's disappointing that Sony doesn't have a GDC press conference this year. WTF?
Agreed...infact if Custom Soundtracks can happen, I hope some games DISABLE the option...ie. the heavenly Sword's, Uncharted's. People don't deserve to be playing them if they're going to listen to their crappy music.

Jtrizzy

sprocket said:

Yes. For example, I still want to hear the sound effects in Motorstorm while listening to the music on my hard drive. It is implemented in SSHD and High Velocity Bowling.

**This isn't needed for games like Uncharted or HS, it' meant for sports and racing games**

As long as people can press the Playstation button and go into the xmb to message each other back and forth while playing completely different games, that's all I really ask for

this.

Madman

deepbrown said:
Agreed...infact if Custom Soundtracks can happen, I hope some games DISABLE the option...ie. the heavenly Sword's, Uncharted's. People don't deserve to be playing them if they're going to listen to their crappy music.
I hope you are kidding.

god i hate how some people are so stuck up about an option THEY DONT EVEN PLAN TO USE!

sorry guys, not everyone loves the generic buttrock and ea trax you guys seem to adore.

deepbrown said:
Yes, damn the option of choice.

keyrat

This really can't come soon enough. If I can do the little sound clip like on XBL even better, but just being able to check an invite when you're in a game will be enough.

jaypah

Snah said:

but what if you play a lot of racing games? sports? fighting (on 360, lawlz)? hell...i run regular music when i'm playing some FPS games. and most arcade games, i agree. point is i use it quite a lot. if you think it's stupid i understand why though *snicker*

good ass news on the in-game xmb though. PSN needs to whip XBL into shape (free shape, that is).

deepbrown

Jtrizzy said:
Yes. For example, I still want to hear the sound effects in Motorstorm while listening to the music on my hard drive. It is implemented in SSHD and High Velocity Bowling.

**This isn't needed for games like Uncharted or HS, it' meant for sports and racing games**

Well they can already do it can't they....so give it to developers to use. Because you do know that an ingame soundtrack will use up 3MB of precious memory (I believe that was the number I read)...which I'd prefer them to have for their lovely graphics. Wouldn't you?

spwolf

Snah said:

for those games, sure... for games like GT5P, I definetly wouldnt mind it for doing 30 laps at once...

dralla said:
how the fuck does this confirm anything?

god damnit I hate these boards
well, gofreak and Clinton514 saw it, and it was something that was mentioned for a while now, so it's just up to you to BELIEVE

deepbrown said:
Well they can already do it can't they....so give it to developers to use. Because you do know that an ingame soundtrack will use up 3MB of precious memory (I believe that was the number I read)...which I'd prefer them to have for their lovely graphics. Wouldn't you?
it's been available for developers since like ... LAST GDC ... they have proven that they couldn't care less about supporting it themselves.

Jtrizzy

All racing and sports games should have this due to the repetitive nature of the games. I'd still be playing Motorstorm if I didn't have to listen to the same songs over and over again.

Personally, I don't have anything hooked up to my receiver other than the PS3, so I would really like this. I do agree that in game messaging is more important however.

Madman

deepbrown said:
I want universal in game music. Period.

Why would anyone be against an OPTIONAL feature like custom soundtracks? Sorry, but the golden age of video game music is dead.

deepbrown

The Faceless Master said:
well, gofreak and Clinton514 saw it, and it was something that was mentioned for a while now, so it's just up to you to BELIEVE

it's been available for developers since like ... LAST GDC ... they have proven that they couldn't care less about supporting it themselves.
Bowling, SSHD, MLB08...they are getting there.

deepbrown

biggkidd32 said:
Why would anyone be against an OPTIONAL feature like custom soundtracks? Sorry, but the golden age of video game music is dead.
Because it uses up memory which can be used for graphics! Seriously...in an age where devs are skimping games just to get 1mb of memory (dropping Ratchet from 720p to 706p only saved 1mb i believe) are you sure you want devs of games that have specially created soundtracks for their atmosphere to be spoiled by your music, AND be further gimped by them having to waste memory on it?

KTallguy

Banned
I don't think RPGs need custom music, and many action/fps wouldn't benefit from it at all.

But fighting games, racing games, any game where you're doing something semi-repetitive and there's no scripted actions, I say custom soundtracks are a must.

Top Bottom