• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3: Ingame XMB confirmed

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
sprocket said:
360 custom sound tracks are not in its os. devs put it in. You cant use custom soundtracks on any game.
Yes you can.
Snah said:
Custom Soundtracks are freaking stupid.

I don't want to listen to Justin Timberlake while I'm playing God of War 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, or Killzone 2.
You learn to love them with time.I have play lists for different games like Forza and Winning Eleven.

glaurung

godhandiscen said:
You learn to love them with time.I have play lists for different games like Forza and Winning Eleven.

I concur about the customized soundtracks.

A lot of games have great soundtracks on 360 and on PS3, but most are just run-of-the-mill low caliber elevator tracks.

I would rather put on a good metal album than listen to the crap music being fed to me during poorer games (e. g. Blazing Angels II, Project Sylpheed, Test Drive Unlimited, even Gears of War).

'nuff said.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Snah said:
Custom Soundtracks are freaking stupid.

I don't want to listen to Justin Timberlake while I'm playing God of War 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, or Killzone 2.

Maybe not Justin Timberlake, but Rammstein... Hell yes.

squatingyeti said:
damnit people, quit saying this, it's not true. You do NOT need in-game XMB access to have custom soundtracks. In-game XMB access would mean you would also have friends lists, messaging, etc. You ONLY need a program to manage the soundtrack. How the hell do you guys think MLB is doing it? They don't fucking have in-game XMB.

For what it's worth though, in-game XMB by a good country fucking mile over custom soundtracks.
why code another program to do it when they can use the XMB in-game to do it?

n1n9tean

Banned
Quite an unexpected divide we got going on here. But, the "custom soundtracks as the priority"-group are a bunch of dirty weirdos as far as I'm concearned. :lol

n1n9tean said:
Quite an unexpected divide we got going on here. But, the "custom soundtracks as the priority"-group are a bunch of dirty weirdos as far as I'm concearned. :lol
i dunno man, i really want both, but i just think it's logical to do in-game XMB first

dalyr95

Sony Japan have stated that custom soundtracks is built into the PS3 SDK. Its up to devs how they want to use it.

For example, take game saves, some games use the XMB setup (Uncharted, DMC4 etc) when you save a game, but when it autosaves it probably uses the same tools, but just in the background.

Another example is SSHD, an XMB setup for custom soundtracks, while MLB prob just puts their own interface over the XMB tools.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dalyr95 said:
Sony Japan have stated that custom soundtracks is built into the PS3 SDK. Its up to devs how they want to use it.

For example, take game saves, some games use the XMB setup (Uncharted, DMC4 etc) when you save a game, but when it autosaves it probably uses the same tools, but just in the background.

Another example is SSHD, an XMB setup for custom soundtracks, while MLB prob just puts their own interface over the XMB tools.

Can we stop pointing out this? The reason people want custom soundtracks on a XMB level is because they dont want to rely on devs willingness to add that feature. Unless Sony forces devs to add a custom soundtrack option in their games, they have reasons to complain.

I care more about in-game messaging tho. And audio messages, instead of only txt.

Amon37

I'm sorry I don't have a stereo or Cd player in the bedroom. However my 360 is there so I'm glad I can play music through it while in a game.

I've used customer soundtracks for playing Forza 2 and for grinding in blue dragon.

Still I don't think it's more important than in game XMB.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
TTP said:
Can we stop pointing out this? The reason people want custom soundtracks on a XMB level is because they dont want to rely on devs willingness to add that feature. Unless Sony forces devs to add a custom soundtrack option in their games, they have reasons to complain.

I care more about in-game messaging tho. And audio messages, instead of only txt.
This.

Kyoufu

Aeon712 said:
I care more about an increased friends list then ingame XMB :(.

Not me...Theres no point in having 50 friends on your list when you can't message a single one when playing a game.

And theres even less point of being messaged by 100 friends on your list and then having to exit the game to read them. Yuck.

TTP said:

qft

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
TTP said:
Can we stop pointing out this? The reason people want custom soundtracks on a XMB level is because they dont want to rely on devs willingness to add that feature.

Tough for them, then. Because even if custom soundtracks are handled through XMB it will be necessary for devs to code to that feature - because they'll need to mute the in-game music when it's active (and preferably link in-game volume control etc. to the XMB custom soundtrack system).

Kittonwy said:
As long as people can press the Playstation button and go into the xmb to message each other back and forth while playing completely different games, that's all I really ask for.
Indifferent2.gif

Yeah, that is the easiest fix, and would make me very happy. I really dont care about the cross game voice chat, and we know custom soundtracks CAN be done, just look at MLB The Show 08 (which actually has custom soundtracks). Just let me send a friend a text during a game, I will be happy!

a.wd

OT but how do I defrag the PS3 hard drive my system is sooooo slow right now...All I have done is put a few demos on and it takes a really long time to install

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
iapetus said:
Tough for them, then. Because even if custom soundtracks are handled through XMB it will be necessary for devs to code to that feature - because they'll need to mute the in-game music when it's active (and preferably link in-game volume control etc. to the XMB custom soundtrack system).

Well, maybe if game relies on a system function for reproducing a music file then the OS can ovverride that.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
a.wd said:
OT but how do I defrag the PS3 hard drive my system is sooooo slow right now...All I have done is put a few demos on and it takes a really long time to install

You dont need to defrag. It takes time to install excatly because of that. Files are not splitted and scattered around the HDD.

Forsete

Gold Member
TTP said:
Well, maybe if game relies on a system function for reproducing a music file then the OS can ovverride that.

XMB detects in game music
XMB disable music
Game FUCK YOU XMB
XMB *kills music with fire*
-Done-

My awesome line of code, feel free to use it Sony.

androvsky

TTP said:

Even that's not necessary, most games have a separate volume adjustment for music, the user could turn the music track all the way down while listening to custom soundtracks.

The real problem is with pre-recorded cutscenes, where the music is already mixed with dialog and sound effects... there's really not much you can do there. The options are either keep playing the custom soundtrack and let it sound like crap, or simply continue to leave the option up to developers but cut the memory requirements down to zero (part of reserved memory). Unless there's already hooks that developers have been required to implement since the beginning that tell the OS that it's playing a cutscene and the OS should stop custom soundtracks, that problem won't go away without a lot of patches.

Forsete said:
XMB detects in game music
XMB disable music
Game FUCK YOU XMB
XMB *kills music with fire*
-Done-

My awesome line of code, feel free to use it Sony.
Sounds perfect :)

But I don't mind going into the audio options to get my music like SSHD.

Truespeed

deepbrown said:

Hmmm, why the edit on the Microsoft In Game Soundtrack patent reference? The patent seems to emphasize the creation of the custom soundtrack more so then the actual playback. Also, doesn't MLB 08 support custom soundtracks?

Slavik81

androvsky said:
The real problem is with pre-recorded cutscenes, where the music is already mixed with dialog and sound effects... there's really not much you can do there. The options are either keep playing the custom soundtrack and let it sound like crap, or simply continue to leave the option up to developers but cut the memory requirements down to zero (part of reserved memory). Unless there's already hooks that developers have been required to implement since the beginning that tell the OS that it's playing a cutscene and the OS should stop custom soundtracks, that problem won't go away without a lot of patches.
Let it run for old games and keep the interface for the shut-off easy to reach.

I'm a huge fan of custom soundtracks for gaming, but PS3 needs in-game messaging and cross-game invites more than anything else, and it needs them yesterday.

Here's hoping it comes soon.

Zoe

The Faceless Master said:
why code another program to do it when they can use the XMB in-game to do it?

In-game XMB would just be one program that combines other smaller programs. Several games are already using these programs.

Mainichi Issho is probably the most comprehensive at this point. All of those functions are done through the OS, it's just lacking the ability to do it from any point in the game which is where the in-game XMB would come in.

deepbrown said:
Or you could just look at the google cache page, or the official Aussie Playstation Website. Both here. http://www.ripten.com/2008/02/13/official-playstation-site-confirms-in-game-xmb-accidentally/

Wow - thanks. So this actually says nothing that isn't true now...NOT a confirmation of in game XMB for sure...

Friends & Messaging

Talk to others during game play, say hello
anytime you’re online*, or have a video chat with
an Eye camera*; USB Camera or headset.

*not IN-GAME

commariodore64 said:
Wow - thanks. So this actually says nothing that isn't true now...NOT a confirmation of in game XMB for sure...

*not IN-GAME
Erm, that's not the important part, this is:

Metalmurphy said:
Originally Posted by commariodore64:

*not IN-GAME

Erm, that's not the important part, this is:

You can't do that in Resistance right now? It's being general it's not saying anything that isn't true right now.

commariodore64 said:
You can't do that in Resistance right now? It's being general it's not saying anything that isn't true right now.
By being general is why it's important. Not all games do it, so for the site to change and have something like that kinda says something. It's no confirmation at all but it isn't also nothing.

Tiduz said:
maybe they mean like burnout, voice chat during gameplay :lol
that would be a total dissapointment-ton

You hit the nail on the head there. The phrasing and text separates the act of talking in game and anytime when online.

It's like saying that you're excited about the dl content and multiplayer that is exclusive to 360 for GTA IV.
:lol

Seriously, this is confirmation of nothing.

tanod

when is my burrito
commariodore64 said:
*not IN-GAME

Then why did they take it down?

I hope its true! *waits for someone to quote and say "don't we all"*

The wording seems to nice to be fake and looks real...GDC.

Beleive.

I just wish they would increase the friends list to 100 (Come mon 360 and Wii has 100 friend slots! And plus I like adding funny people I meet online >.> )

And more than a 20 character limit on the comments!!

But I'll be more than happy with in-game messeging. (and voice chat by the sounds of it)

WiiRevolution1 said:
I hope its true! *waits for someone to quote and say "don't we all"*

The wording seems to nice to be fake and looks real...GDC.

Beleive.

I just wish they would increase the friends list to 100 (Come mon 360 and Wii has 100 friend slots! And plus I like adding funny people I meet online >.> )

And more than a 20 character limit on the comments!!

But I'll be more than happy with in-game messeging. (and voice chat by the sounds of it)

Because they updated the site - they didn't throw this page up and take it down very fast for Google to cache it...

Ploid 3.0

Can't we "Talk with others during game play" already via voice chat enabled games like resistance, and "say hello anytime you're online" and the other stuff already via the messaging system, and the chat room thing?

Nooreo

Ploid 3.0 said:
Can't we "Talk with others during game play" already via voice chat enabled games like resistance, and "say hello anytime you're online" and the other stuff already via the messaging system, and the chat room thing?
or have a video chat. Their talking about XMB access they have to be!

iceatcs

"Talk with others during game play, say hello anytime you're online."

Another important part, you can't do that when you are on the game. Therefore it can't be anytime unless the game support voice chat and allow to speak non-owner/not play game on the friends list.

Top Bottom