• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3: Ingame XMB confirmed

Slavik81

Metalmurphy said:
In-Game XBM will be a dumbed down version of the XMB and it'll only have the Network tab.

Wait and see.
What other part do you want? The only thing I care about is access to the music player, like you get with the internet browser.

mollipen

deepbrown said:
Agreed...infact if Custom Soundtracks can happen, I hope some games DISABLE the option...ie. the heavenly Sword's, Uncharted's. People don't deserve to be playing them if they're going to listen to their crappy music.

Why should you be able to tell me how I can and can't play a game?

deepbrown

shidoshi said:
Why should you be able to tell me how I can and can't play a game?
I won't. But I'll tell the devs and they'll implement the block, and then you'll be stuck with the soundtrack that they paid millions of dollars to create. So ner.

You know I think the thing on the list that uses the most amount of memory is the ingame keyboard - 20-30MB.

The easiest thing to impliment appears to be ingame screenshots (3mb) Now THAT's a feature I'd love!

DarkJC

Why do people think universal in-game music can be done? If it wasn't in their TRC from the start, I'm pretty sure it'll be really hard to implement. Launch PS3 games were designed around using a certain amount of memory, you can't just take a bit more and hope that games (already released and currently under development) aren't affected.

deepbrown

DarkJC said:
Why do people think universal in-game music can be done? If it wasn't in their TRC from the start, I'm pretty sure it'll be really hard to implement. Launch PS3 games were designed around using a certain amount of memory, you can't just take a bit more and hope that games (already released and currently under development) aren't affected.
Uh that's all allowed for already....Sony have never used half of that 84mb or so they put aside...it's for updates like these that they put it aside. Ie. for HOME etc...they knew they needed lots of memory, but weren't sure what for. If there's room for ingame soundtracks you can have it. But if there isn't then I say the devs can choose which games.

DarkJC said:
Because each SDK release has steadily reduced the OS reserved RAM, meaning there's more RAM available to games now than there was for launch titles. Still, music playback is going to require quite a bit, and I'm not sure they'd rather give it up for music than give it to developers to use in future titles.

Jtrizzy

left_soundtrack.jpg

Truespeed

DarkJC said:

Sony has a reserved amount of memory for its O/S and since you can already play music from the XMB why couldn't you do it throughout the game? As each iteration of the O/S is released the O/S footprint gradually gets smaller and smaller. It's not like they need additional memory to implement it because it's probably already there.

mollipen

deepbrown said:
I won't. But I'll tell the devs and they'll implement the block, and then you'll be stuck with the soundtrack that they paid millions of dollars to create. So ner.

Call me a heretic, but I don't think developers should have the final say in how a person plays a game... and this comes from somebody who would love to make games, and would be very, very picky about how my games should be played. I think developers should say "here are the options, soundtrack, play style, etc. that I really wan you to experience the game under," but from there it should completely be the player's choice.

That means everything from running through Uncharted with Britney playing, to running through Uncharter with invincibility turned on from the very first moment the game boots up.

Truespeed

shidoshi said:
Call me a heretic, but I don't think developers should have the final say in how a person plays a game.

I agree. People seem to like options. Like playing with dual analog controls or sixaxis.

jaypah

shidoshi said:
Call me a heretic, but I don't think developers should have the final say in how a person plays a game... and this comes from somebody who would love to make games, and would be very, very picky about how my games should be played. I think developers should say "here are the options, soundtrack, play style, etc. that I really wan you to experience the game under," but from there it should completely be the player's choice.

That means everything from running through Uncharted with Britney playing, to running through Uncharter with invincibility turned on from the very first moment the game boots up.

thank you, go make some damn games dude! i love it when games come with debug menu codes and often wonder why all games don't have the option. hell, i paid for it, let me freak that bitch out!

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
In-game Custom music is overrattttttttttttted

I mean seriously....Back in the sega,snes,psx days there wasn't custom music. If you want your custom music then put it in the cd player at your house. Devs waste money by creating their own music from bands/orchestras only by needy mfers to play rap/rock/jazz while beating missions.

Sho Nuff

Banned
deepbrown said:
Agreed...infact if Custom Soundtracks can happen, I hope some games DISABLE the option...ie. the heavenly Sword's, Uncharted's. People don't deserve to be playing them if they're going to listen to their crappy music.

Damn right. I <3 DJ Atomica :D

Jtrizzy

Posted this in the MLB thread, thought it might have a better chance of being answered here.

Jtrizzy said:
Wonder if by custom soundtracks they mean you'll be able to choose intro songs for each batter?

One of my favorite non-essential features from any sports game was the custom st's in NBA 2k5 on XBOX1.

It allowed you to cut the songs to play the part you want as the player dribbled up the court. Shit was awesome. Anyone know if this is possible with the current 2k bball games?

Clinton514

No offense to anyone, but I found it disturbing that more people voted on the Sony PlayStation website that Custom Soundtracks were more important than in game messaging.

I want to punch you all in the face...I kid, but all of you who want cust. tracks over messaging are evil. :D

armubaba

This GDC will kick ass for Sony. If it's as good as I think it will be, I seriously think it will lead to my PS3 purchase.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Clinton514 said:
No offense to anyone, but I found it disturbing that more people voted on the Sony PlayStation website that Custom Soundtracks were more important than in game messaging.

I want to punch you all in the face.
..I kid, but all of you who want cust. tracks over messaging are evil. :D

:lol I feel like that everyday.

Jaeyden

Clinton514 said:

I want to punch you all in the face...I kid, but all of you who want cust. tracks over messaging are evil. :D

I don't believe it. I'm gonna claim conspiracy on this one. If you read the PSblog or any internet discussion about this matter, the XMB/messaging people outweigh the custom soundtrack people 10 to 1. It's probably just number fudging, so they can say it's what people wanted most. When the truth is....it's it's probably what were gonna get first.

deejay8595 said:
In-game Custom music is overrattttttttttttted

True, but its still a bullet point the Xbox 360 can make to sway people to buy the 360 version of a multiplatform game. Throw in achievements and Xbox Live integration and the 360 has an inherent advantage in multiplatform games, assuming the core game experience is equal. Anything Sony can do to negate those advantages, or come up with alternative PS3 perks helps them in the long run.

I don't know about you, but I couldn't imagine playing Burnout Paradise without my custom playlist going in the background. The game is MADE for it.

Madman

BobTheFork said:
Don't blame me, I voted for larger buddy lists.
Blame me.

In game messaging is less important to me. I play mainly non team based games in online. Except Warhawk, in which I play ss. Games like Motorstorm NEED in game music. Messaging exists. It's crude, but it can be used. In game music doesn't. Not even in a crude fashion. It was an easy choice.

Madman said:
Blame me.

In game messaging is less important to me. I play mainly non team based games in online. Except Warhawk, in which I play ss. Games like Motorstorm NEED in game music. Messaging exists. It's crude, but it can be used. Music doesn't. Not even in a crude fashion. It was an easy choice.
Between the two, I would pic In game messaging just because I usually turn the in game music down and turn up my stereo, and just have the game effect come of the tv.

Madman said:
Blame me.

In game messaging is less important to me. I play mainly non team based games in online. Except Warhawk, in which I play ss. Games like Motorstorm NEED in game music. Messaging exists. It's crude, but it can be used. In game music doesn't. Not even in a crude fashion. It was an easy choice.

Your nickname suits you. Absolutely mad!

keyrat

armubaba said:
This GDC will kick ass for Sony. If it's as good as I think it will be, I seriously think it will lead to my PS3 purchase.

What exactly are you expecting? Now that there won't even be a conference I'm not too confident too much will be said.

Jtrizzy

Throw us a bone Sony! Give us one of the following:

1. Killzone/LBP beta
2. Home beta
3. in game messaging/soundtracks

Madman

BobTheFork said:
Between the two, I would pic In game messaging just because I usually turn the in game music down and turn up my stereo, and just have the game effect come of the tv.
TV speakers would work, but I would prefer using my 5.1 system for games. I've invested quite a bit into it, so I feel like I have to use it to it's fullest. It also tends to drown out the TV. All that, and I need the 5.1 for Resistance.

Top Bottom