• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

It's pretty sad that we didn't even get a pre-load with the preorder on steam. With my prehistoric internet speed it will take like 30 hours to download :/

If it's the same size than the retail disc, is only 4GB. But I totally get your point, Namco is really dumb, really.

zkylon

zkylewd
Except it actually displays in actual 2012 resolutions and doesn't have a limiter of 1024... and it runs at like a bamillion frames per second on good hardware.
Yup, would call it a shit port but Dark Souls has lowered the bar big time and now I feel Darksiders 2 at least showing proper resolutions and not having GFWL makes it pretty acceptable.

tborsje

I'm kind of ok if I get a letterboxed 1920x1080 but the double stretch from 1024x768 to 1920x1080 and then to 1920x1200 might be too much.

Wouldn't be enough for FROM/Bamco if this DS PC didn't have some secret surprise in store for me lol...
Don't bother to stretch to 1200p at all, with a fixed framebuffer you'll only be distorting the aspect ratio anyway (or cropping). You can use nvidia control panel to tell your GPU to not scale the game, and tell the game to output at 1080. Then you'll end up with a 16:9 letterboxed image, it's probably the best you can do.

Zzoram

I'm not sure what would be worse, people not figuring out how to fix the fps/resolution within a day, or people figuring it out within a day.

In the first case, the game doesn't get upgraded. In the second case, FROM must've been really horrible at PC porting.

The problem with Darksiders II port was that they lied to everyone, telling how it was going to be an awesome job with all the bells and whistles, and even a config file. We didn't get shit, it works but all of that previous stuff was really the publisher talking.

With Dark Souls, they did an awful job, but were pretty honest about since the beginning. We don't know how it will really perform, Darksiders II works pretty well, you have to force vsync and triple buffering so it won't burn your gpu in the process, but it works.

We need more good examples, like Squenix did with Sleeping Dogs and Deus Ex: HR.

Anilusion

Gotta give GMG some creds. Made a petition about refund and less than 40 minutes later I had the money on my paypal account, no questions asked. Will buy it as soon as the resolution is fixed.

Teknoman

The only adjustable graphics options are Vsync and resolution.

It runs fine and looks great, though.

Oh so pretty much like 1. Well i'd be fine with Dark Souls if it was like that, especially since I have no complaints with how Darksiders 1 looks/performs.

Dizzy-4U

I played like 2 hours of the PS3 version so I'm going pretty much blind. I'm gonna get slaughtered so bad, it will be fun.

Is it recommended to do a little research about how bonfires work and stuff like that? I'm guessing they don't explain anything just like Demon's Souls.

Despite the crappy port I'm still pretty psyched for this. The series has fascinated me since Demon's Souls but I never picked up either game until now, so I'm ready to find out what I've been missing. Other than watching a couple early-game quick look/LPs, I'm going in blind, and I'm excited to start figuring this game out.

Teknoman

I played like 2 hours of the PS3 version so I'm going pretty much blind. I'm gonna get slaughtered so bad, it will be fun.

Is it recommended to do a little research about how bonfires work and stuff like that? I'm guessing they don't explain anything just like Demon's Souls.

They give you a few heads up tips through the story, but its best to go into the game as blind as possible. Makes the experiences and encounters that much more memorable. Cant wait to see how some people react to running into a certain chest or...relentless enemy.

zkylon

zkylewd
Don't bother to stretch to 1200p at all, with a fixed framebuffer you'll only be distorting the aspect ratio anyway (or cropping). You can use nvidia control panel to tell your GPU to not scale the game, and tell the game to output at 1080. Then you'll end up with a 16:9 letterboxed image, it's probably the best you can do.
I'm fine with letterboxed, so I'll just do as you say.

Zzoram

I can't wait to see how many new players are going to kill the dregling merchant in the undead burg by accident lololol

tonypark

Really would buy that if it was a better port, even if I did finish it on PS3.
But at least they ported it, so no complains.

Emitan

At least the 360 pad is less likely to cause accidental NPC aggro with heavy attacks when you put the controller down.
why are you putting the controller down

do you have a deathwish
Then....play with a PS3 gamepad? http://www.motioninjoy.com/download

(works via USB wire, or Bluetooth if you're willing to monkey around with the bluetooth drivers -- it's not too hard, you just need a dongle that's compatible)
Someone needs to mod it to use PS3 button icons.

Dizzy-4U

They give you a few heads up tips through the story, but its best to go into the game as blind as possible. Makes the experiences and encounters that much more memorable. Cant wait to see how some people react to running into a certain chest or...relentless enemy.
Yeah, I kinda see what you mean. The thing is I don't want to miss something important like in Demon's Souls. I didn't know about the World Tendency until my 3rd playthrough...

Despite the crappy port I'm still pretty psyched for this. The series has fascinated me since Demon's Souls but I never picked up either game until now, so I'm ready to find out what I've been missing. Other than watching a couple early-game quick look/LPs, I'm going in blind, and I'm excited to start figuring this game out.

Going in blind is the only way (just an opinion). You can always go back and research what you may have missed on subsequent playthroughs. And for those moments where help is inevitable, there are no better Souls communities than GAF and the Wikis. This time next week you will be envious of all those who get to experience it blindly for the first time.

Cyrano

I envy all you PC players that get to play the extra content now instead of later this winter. :( I hope all of you new to the Dark Souls universe enjoy it!

2AdEPT

Then....play with a PS3 gamepad? http://www.motioninjoy.com/download

(works via USB wire, or Bluetooth if you're willing to monkey around with the bluetooth drivers -- it's not too hard, you just need a dongle that's compatible)

I have been able to play every PC game I bought so far on LOGITECH Gamepad....its basically the same controller as PS3 only not as weighted and wired, not bluetooth....although there must be more expensive versions...think I payed $35. Games: i.e. witcher 2 /Batman AC.

TheExodu5

Banned
Disappointed with the port job, but I'm still buying. This game is just that good.

PC gamers, even if you don't want to support such a shoddy port job, I urge you to reconsider because you're missing out on one of the finest gaming experiences ever.

Disappointed with the port job, but I'm still buying. This game is just that good.

PC gamers, even if you don't want to support such a shoddy port job, I urge you to reconsider because you're missing out on one of the finest gaming experiences ever.

Yeah, no. Not at full price.

zkylon

zkylewd

I say at 15-20 bucks, it's worth the risk. Preordering is just for crazy people like myself though.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just to add: I'm one of the biggest graphics enthusiasts on GAF, and even considering the low resolution, very low framerate console version (seriously, it drops to <10fps in places), I still would put it in my top 5 games of the past 6 years. If there's a single console game I would want to own from this generation, it's Dark Souls.

Wait for reports to make sure the port is actually playable and performs adequately, and then consider a purchase.

Moaradin

Just to add: I'm one of the biggest graphics enthusiasts on GAF, and even considering the low resolution, very low framerate console version (seriously, it drops to <10fps in places), I still would put it in my top 5 games of the past 6 years. If there's a single console game I would want to own from this generation, it's Dark Souls.

I'll probably pick it up during the steam bargain bin or see if modders fix the problems before I buy.

I rented it on console because I truly wanted to like it, but I absolutely couldn't deal with the sub 10 fps I was getting. I know this is a game I would like in theory.

Absolutely... at the right price. As usual. I was ready to buy multiple copies at full price. Now I'm at the tail end of sales for one unit.

Iztli

Wait for reports to make sure the port is actually playable and performs adequately, and then consider a purchase.

I dont know man.. Sleeping dogs stuttering while driving is making me insane... so dealing with dark souls... no way espeacially since we dont know how bad the port will actually be.. I cant do it :(

upandaway

Just paid for it now so it's waiting time.

I hate the port job, but I'm already playing Xenoblade on my HDTV just fine (I think it looks good, even). Plus I've got way too many holidays coming up, I can't justify waiting for a lower price. So hell yes, Dark Souls.

I only played a few hours at a friend's place, it was pretty awesome.

Eusis

Seconding this. It should obviously be sensible for console owners to ignore this version, but those who never played it should still seriously consider it, especially as it's still a solid value (game + new content for $40) rather than being a months late port with the audacity to charge $60.

The thing that bugs me, is that there are so many mediocre games, that run phenomenally on PC. But this game is GREAT. Like, one in a million. And it gets the shoddier port.

If you only have the PC option, you should get it(Maybe when it's cheaper, if you're that against it). There's so few games, this gen, that have the kind of magic this game offers..it's criminal to not experience it at all.

It's kind of like never playing Shadow Of The Colossus, on PS2, because of the framerate. And I feel this is better than that game. It certainly has more depth.

Cyrano

Seconding this. It should obviously be sensible for console owners to ignore this version, but those who never played it should still seriously consider it, especially as it's still a solid value (game + new content for $40) rather than being a months late port with the audacity to charge $60.
I'll third it. This is just one of those games. It's such a great experience that it's hard to see it get such a poor port, especially since the bad publicity will probably hurt it more than it deserves (however deserving of that publicity it may be).

Eusis

It's a real shame this didn't come out earlier. I know this game is great, but I'd rather play GW2 with GAF than a shitty port of Dark Souls.
This I think is the biggest potential problem regardless of whether you have it on consoles or not. My brother already wrote off getting this port day 1 based on its proximity to GW2's release, and that was before the resolution/FPS issues came out.

antitrop

I dont know man.. Sleeping dogs stuttering while driving is making me insane... so dealing with dark souls... no way espeacially since we dont know how bad the port will actually be.. I cant do it :(
The Sleeping Dogs driving stutter is insane, it's not even an FPS drop. It's just... like... a part of the game.

Even while having FRAPS running the FPS stays exactly the same even as I'm staring at the stuttering happening. It's the damndest thing.

Nirran

The Sleeping Dogs driving stutter is insane, it's not even an FPS drop. It's just... like... a part of the game.

Even while having FRAPS running the FPS stays exactly the same even as I'm staring at the stuttering happening. It's the damndest thing.

I finished it completely and never had it stutter. Maybe an issue on your end.

Top Bottom