• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is the Xbox One so slow to install from disc?

icespide

Banned
just seems nuts to me that people actually recommend taking your console offline to install a new game when you can simply skip the patch for the same results.

mike4001_

I think the general misconception is the Xbox One is slow.

PS4 just does something differnt.

On the PS4 titles are often installed within 30 seconds (up to 2-3 minutes). It´s physically impossible to copy over 50 GB of data within this timeframe.

PS4 must copy some essential data and then let the player start the game and read the remaining data directly off the disc (and continue to copy if to the HDD in the background).

A installation time (= copy BluRay to HDD) of 30 minute for 50 GB of data for these slow "notebook" HDD´s our consoles have is pretty normal.

Yoday

Old, but still valid:

Assassin's Creed IV:
Xbox One (offline, no update): 5 minutes 50 seconds
Xbox One (with update, fastest connection): 7 minutes 2 seconds
Xbox One (with update, 10Mbps connection): 10 minutes 32 seconds
PS4: 42 seconds

The rest of these were tested on our office Wi-Fi which is around 9-11Mbps. It may have been faster on a wired connection, but you can compare your own connection speed here. These are our results:

Need For Speed Rivals:
XBO: 09:25 (including update)
PS4: 00:32

Just Dance 2014:
XBO: 08:48 (including update)
PS4: 00:45

NBA Live 14:
XBO: 16:26 (including update)
PS4: 00:35

FIFA 14:
XBO: 16:06 (including update)
PS4: 00:34

Madden 25:
XBO: 9:38 (including update)
PS4: 00:38

http://kotaku.com/installing-xbox-one-games-takes-way-too-long-1471191836
This is comparing time to "ready to start". I really hope you don't actually think it only takes the PS4 30-40sec to install 20+GB of data. They install games at a pretty similar rate, they just handle when you can start a game differently, and the PS4 doesn't actually display a progress bar for disc installs, just a bar for the initial packet needed to launch the game. Every game I have ever tried playing with the "ready to start" feature only let me mess around in a small section of the game, or gave me a glorified loading screen. Because of that I wait for games to complete installing before playing them on both systems, and the amount of time it takes relative to the install size is pretty similar.

XB1 is a hot mess no matter which way you slice it. Clunky OS, slow installs from disc, etc. That's just what first-class citizens have to put up with.

Jarrod38

I never really had any issues installing games via the disk. The only one recently I had an issue with was MWR it took like five hours.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I never really had any issues installing games via the disk. The only one recently I had an issue with was MWR it took like five hours.

That's hilarious. I can basically start the installation from the disc, go to bed, and hope it's done when I wake up.

When I buy a physical game I automatically assume I won't be playing it until the next day because of this. At least most of the time. It really sucks.

And yes! That frikin' Modern Warfare Remaster install took HOURS! Why!!??

c0de

Yes there is. When you install a disc game a prompt offers you two options:
"An update is available for this title. Download now or later?"

Then it's the easiest solution and the problem is partially solved. Perhaps MS should do something that you have to actively activate that in the settings.
Do patches download in the background when you play the game?

jesu

When I buy a physical game I automatically assume I won't be playing it until the next day because of this. At least most of the time. It really sucks.

And yes! That frikin' Modern Warfare Remaster install took HOURS! Why!!??

Because they couldn't fit that and Infinite Warfare on the same disc.
You were downloading MWR, probably 40 or so GB's

For disc-based (physical) Legacy and Legacy Pro Editions of Infinite Warfare on Xbox One, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered is included on the Infinite Warfare disc and no voucher code is required. Before Modern Warfare Remastered can be played, an additional download is required. An internet connection is required to download content. The game disc must be inserted to play Modern Warfare Remastered.

The estimated storage space required for Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (Legacy, Digital Deluxe, or Legacy Pro) is a combined 130 GB. This is a high-end estimate, which includes both games and any Day One updates, as well as the additional Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered multiplayer maps to be released before 12/31/16.

Balboa

A straight install from the disc takes 30-40 minutes MAX, if you choose to download the patch while installing then the total time will be based on your download speed.

Also NOBODY is installing Modern Warfare Remastered from a disc, the install is triggered from the disc to start the 45GB game download that's why it is taking people so long.

ViolentP

How long do you think does it take to copy a whole bluray to disk?

I've copied a whole blu-ray before. It's not the technology I'm surprised by, it's the system. What's the benefit of using a disc if its sole purpose is copying all the data? Many isps provide speeds that allow that copy to occur in a shorter amount of time. But if one doesn't have a service or would simply prefer physical for other reasons, either provide partial installation options or invest in speeding up the copy process. But there's no good reason to both require a disc and have long install times.

No, the Xbox One does not download if you have a disc and are online - it only downloads patches. There's no fucking way I installed Quantum Break, a 45GB game on a 20mb/s in one hour or MGSV, a 30GB game, in 30 minutes.

c0de

I've copied a whole blu-ray before. It's not the technology I'm surprised by, it's the system. What's the benefit of using a disc if its sole purpose is copying all the data? Many isps provide speeds that allow that copy to occur in a shorter amount of time. But if one doesn't have a service or would simply prefer physical for other reasons, either provide partial installation options or invest in speeding up the copy process. But there's no good reason to both require a disc and have long install times.

I don't understand. A game is about 50 gb and has to be copied/installed, meaning that all the data has to go from disc to disk.
Both systems do that. Yes, one system is more intelligent and let you start early but that doesn't mean it copies faster.

acm2000

Old, but still valid:

Assassin's Creed IV:
Xbox One (offline, no update): 5 minutes 50 seconds
Xbox One (with update, fastest connection): 7 minutes 2 seconds
Xbox One (with update, 10Mbps connection): 10 minutes 32 seconds
PS4: 42 seconds

The rest of these were tested on our office Wi-Fi which is around 9-11Mbps. It may have been faster on a wired connection, but you can compare your own connection speed here. These are our results:

Need For Speed Rivals:
XBO: 09:25 (including update)
PS4: 00:32

Just Dance 2014:
XBO: 08:48 (including update)
PS4: 00:45

NBA Live 14:
XBO: 16:26 (including update)
PS4: 00:35

FIFA 14:
XBO: 16:06 (including update)
PS4: 00:34

Madden 25:
XBO: 9:38 (including update)
PS4: 00:38

http://kotaku.com/installing-xbox-one-games-takes-way-too-long-1471191836

Lol, no, that's not how ps4 works

I don't understand. A game is about 50 gb and has to be copied/installed, meaning that all the data has to go from disc to disk.
Both systems do that. Yes, one system is more intelligent and let you start early but that doesn't mean it copies faster.
The PS4 launched without a lot of features that Sony took their sweet arse time adding, but I have to admit that they got their priorities right by focusing on this particular area before all others. It's a clever solution that (from the user's perspective) makes the problem just disappear, and it affects a common task that has a big impact on the user experience.

It's strange that Microsoft didn't adopt something similar in the intervening period though.

c0de

The PS4 launched without a lot of features that Sony took their sweet arse time adding, but I have to admit that they got their priorities right by focusing on this particular area before all others. It's a clever solution that (from the user's perspective) makes the problem just disappear, and it affects a common task that has a big impact on the user experience.

It's strange that Microsoft didn't adopt something similar in the intervening period though.

Well, they somehow tried, AFAIK. But the system is not that well done on Xbox. Still there are games on Xbox where you can start playing early while the disc is being copied in the background but apparently this is just not as well done as on Playstation.

Top Bottom