• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia's 6th Congressional District Special Election |OT| Round 2: Fight!

Today's the big day in the state of Georgia, as voters head to the polls to decide once and for all who will win, Republican Karen Handel

h1vk9-xR.jpg

or Democrat Loser McLoserface

LGF837.jpg

Georgia voted in April in a jungle primary including candidates from both parties, but as none of them cleared 50% (Ossoff came close with 48%) it went to a run-off between the top two vote-getters (Handel came in a close second at... 20%).

This race has gotten much attention from both Republicans and Democrats. In 2016 the district voted for Trump by only a small margin of around 1.5%. Democrats are hoping that Ossoff will prevail thanks to high disapproval of Trump as well as Ossoff's ground game turning out infrequent or first-time voters (many of whom have already voted early), while Republicans want Handel to win to justify their current legislative agenda of killing everyone. The polls are close, generally showing an Ossoff lead within the margin of error, and it's anyone's race.

If you live in Georgia's 6th, vote! Polls close at 7pm EST and first results will likely be trickling in around 7:45.

Link to results:

Atlanta Journal-Constitution

NY Times

RELATED: South Carolina's 5th Congressional district is also having its special election today, between Republican Ralph Norman and Democrat Archie Parnell. This race isn't expected to be very competitive, but a strong showing by the underdog Parnell might turn some heads (similar to closer-than-expected races in MT-AL and KS-4 earlier this year).

EDIT: Ossoff lost 47-53. Parnell lost 48-51. Also up is down and now everyone wears hats on their butts.

Sephzilla

Give Ossoff your energy!

giphy.gif

Ossoff pulling off this win could be what starts a chain reaction that causes Republicans to start distancing themselves from Trump. Here's hoping

RPGCrazied

Nothing wrong with my thread. But hoping for an upset. But Republicans like to vote against their own interests, so don't expect a win here.

Give Ossoff your energy!

giphy.gif

Ossoff pulling off this win could be what starts a chain reaction that causes Republicans to start distancing themselves from Trump. Here's hoping

Quite possibly the single greatest one-two punch from a thread's first and second posts I've seen in my time here at NeoGAF. lmao

In all seriousness though, I'm hoping to God that Ossoff pulls through with a win.

steveovig

I'm not too optimistic we'll win this. It would certainly be welcome if we did to show that we may be able to get people to the polls and vote some candidates in besides every four years.

From the closed thread:

85% chance is still that. A chance. We only get a single data point on any of these elections.

I mean sure, but everyone figured 85% chance was a given, including Comey and Obama. 85% chance was on the more pessimistic side too. Sam Wang was out there acting like it was a 99% chance and that it was the easier election to predict, ever.

Nate was informed hedging his bets on a polling error. That's what happened. He wrote for weeks about how there was poor polling coming out of the rust belt which was throwing his model off

Right. "Systematic polling error" was a meme at one point. He was being mocked for his more pessimistic models.

Loxley

Even if Ossoff loses, it's sounding like it might be by a very, very slim margin. And this is for a seat that R's have held since 1979 - so for an unknown, inexperienced Dem to come out of nowhere and nearly take the seat from them is a sign that a lot of their seats are hanging by a freakin' thread. That has to make them nervous for next year.

Obviously it would make them even more nervous if Ossoff actually wins, but I'm not going to get my hopes up there.

I've made my peace with either outcome since this is a 50/50 race, but I won't be deterred if Ossoff loses.

We've keeping Hillary's margins in urban/suburban areas and we're greatly expanding on them in rural America. We're going to come back with a vengeance in 2018. And even if Karen Handel wins tonight, she'll be up for reelection in less than 2 years.

DCxVyXzVYAAGNDR.jpg:large

Ganhyun

Replying to Fender from the original thread:

Any of substance?

Mostly people claiming to know her personally and saying how she is kind, generous, etc.

Others saying the usual minimum wage jobs are only for part time students and such.

One woman basically said Georgia would be better off if the"RATS from California" and the "YANKEES" would go away and leave Georgia alone go back to ruining their own states all this would go away.

An ex airline pilot claiming that there is no way Ossoff will win without cheating/voter fraud.

Suprisingly a few Ossoff supporters jumped me too for a sarcastic comment how he is a "frat boy" (I was mocking the commercial calling him that). Sadly, their comments were mostly the same as the Republican ones in substance.

Madrin

Pelosi pic made me lol. If the election were in my district I'd be out voting for Ossoff. Not expecting him to win but we can hope.

Ecotic

I'm going to be crushed if Ossoff doesn't win. Not for the national implications but because Ossoff is very talented, is a much needed young voice, and because us Georgia democrats never have anything to celebrate.

Sending good vibes from GA-10! GA-06 native here, but I changed my voter registration back before the Presidential Election so I wouldn't have to make a special trip back home. Hoping Ossoff pulls through!

Watching this campaign play out on a national scale, right in my backyard, has been wild.

DarkestHour

Banned

Mostly people claiming to know her personally and saying how she is kind, generous, etc.

Others saying the usual minimum wage jobs are only for part time students and such.

One woman basically said Georgia would be better off if the"RATS from California" and the "YANKEES" would go away and leave Georgia alone go back to ruining their own states all this would go away.

An ex airline pilot claiming that there is no way Ossoff will win without cheating/voter fraud.

Suprisingly a few Ossoff supporters jumped me too for a sarcastic comment how he is a "frat boy" (I was mocking the commercial calling him that). Sadly, their comments were mostly the same as the Republican ones in substance.

As a GA resident I would gladly vote against someone that considers me a "YANKEES". Those are the worst kinds of people.

EDIT: Oh, is that someone saying that ABOUT Handel? Well that person can screw off. Hate being judged here because I'm not a native southerner.

At least someone made the attempt at discussing the merits of her comment. lol

Ganhyun

As a GA resident I would gladly vote against someone that considers me a "YANKEES". Those are the worst kinds of people.

EDIT: Oh, is that someone saying that ABOUT Handel? Well that person can screw off. Hate being judged here because I'm not a native southerner.

Nah, that was a Handel supporter talking about Ossoff and anyone who was a Democrat in the 6th. To her they were obviously all plants from California or other Yankee states.

I dared to criticize her on a facebook post.

Those were some of the examples I got in response.

That's enough of an argument for plenty of people in that district.

If Handel's argument is that Ossoff and Pelosi are the same, and this uber rich suburban district still votes for San Fransisco communism at like 49%, isn't that sort of chilling for the GOP?

That's like Labour winning Battersea or Kensington!

Yazzees

If Handel's argument is that Ossoff and Pelosi are the same, and this uber rich suburban district still votes for San Fransisco communism at like 49%, isn't that sort of chilling for the GOP?

That's like Labour winning Battersea or Kensington!
I feel like this is an overrated take on it. If they win they'll just chug along as usual regardless of by what margin.

Top Bottom