• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election heads to runoff as Ossoff earns 48% of vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well between the Scalise shooting and the Kathy Griffin thing it's not wrong.

I know, right. Two people (only one of whom actually committed a violent act) definitely shows signs of a growing trend. This isn't a bullshit smokescreen at all. There also definitely isn't an established pattern of right-wing violence over the last few decades.

Fuck outta here with this shit.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I have twelve hours to figure out how to do a proper "Ossoff, take my energy!" with that emoticon face.

RPGCrazied

I hope if she wins all of her voters loses healthcare. They are voting to lose it by voting her anyway. She supports Trump who supports this bill that guts medicaid and knocks 24 million off of healthcare.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I hope if she wins all of her voters loses healthcare. They are voting to lose it by voting her anyway. She supports Trump who supports this bill that guts medicaid and knocks 24 million off of healthcare.

In this district a lot of the voters can probably afford health care without government assistance so it wouldn't affect them like it would a lot of places.

Things that worry me:
-Can Ossoff get the minority turnout he needs?
-Republican ratfucking at the end, bringing up the Scalise shooting.
-Georgia in general...disenfranchising voters and having the whole state run by Republicans makes me queasy in a close contest.

Things that encourage me:
-Democratic enthusiasm. It's still there in a big way.
-Seeing Republican support for Trump slipping. CBS News now has him down to 72/21 approve/disapprove among Republicans, which is pretty bad in the partisan era. I'll bet a lot of that disapproval comes from suburban, wealthy Republicans.
-Handel. When it comes down to it, she's not charismatic and kinda sucks at this. Reminds me a lot of Fiorina.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but it is going to be very close.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

This post reads like the perfect GAF drive by political post while knowing zero about the actual topic or in this case district at hand.

Con_Smith

Banned
It was pretty ossof heavy on my commute from Lithonia to Dunwoody taking back roads. Pleanty of people on the streets with signs, none for Handel.

RPGCrazied

This post reads like the perfect GAF drive by political post while knowing zero about the actual topic or in this case district at hand.

Its not. But I want them to learn a lesson from their vote. Its a wealthy Republican district, I get it. But we don't live in normal times anymore and that's just the truth.

Early voting was in the 90 minute wait area, just voted same day in under five. That's why I do that.

Yeah, I stopped early voting in Florida because it always took way longer than voting on election day. It's more viable now that I live in a North Carolina resort town that doesn't have a lot of activity in early November.

Tried to vote. I'm in District 11 but didn't know lol, but glad I tried atleast. There were a couple of people in the same boat as me too and were turned away.

Snwaters

I wanna believe. I hope that Ossoff can pull this off, score one for us Millennials. Hat said, I'm electing a 49-51 loss due to last minute fuckery. Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

Called/chatted with a few people this morning. Literally every office I've talked with has multiple drivers that are offering to drive people to the polls today.

I don't think I've ever seen all of my friends who live in GA-6 be so passionate about voting. I've even been reading the AJC comments, and the GOP voters can't come up with anything other than spreading lies about how Ossoff would "kill America" or just troll posts. Also, I'm shocked at how many Republicans have said they are voting Dem this time around.

I don't think I've ever seen all of my friends who live in GA-6 be so passionate about voting. I've even been reading the AJC comments, and the GOP voters can't come up with anything other than spreading lies about how Ossoff would "kill America" or just troll posts. Also, I'm shocked at how many Republicans have said they are voting Dem this time around.

The AJC comment section has been astroturf central for morons for a decade.

Zyae

Whatever happens, as 538 pointed out a small loss for Ossoff is still good for democrats nationally going into 2018.

br3wnor

Whatever happens, as 538 pointed out a small loss for Ossoff is still good for democrats nationally going into 2018.

This is true and it bodes well for 2018 either way, BUT an actual win would help put some pressure on Senator's voting on the AHCA bill next week. If Ossoff can outperform expectations and win by more than a sliver, it would really help in defeating the AHCA. As it is, Trump now has a 72% approval rating with Republicans. Have Ossoff get a nice win here and the moderate Republicans might have to really think hard about if they want to go down w/ the Trump Train or start trying to save their own asses heading into 2018.

On that level, I think this election could have a real effect w/ an Ossoff win.

As a Brit with a "loose" understanding of the US political system, how big a deal would it be to see the Democrats win Georgia?
In this district in particular, it would be a sign that corruption, white nationalism, and disregard for human life have alienated so many people that wealthy mostly-white suburban districts can no longer be locked up just by mentioning tax breaks.

If/when Georgia becomes a viable swing state it'd balance out one of the Midwestern states that turned trumpy.

As a Brit with a "loose" understanding of the US political system, how big a deal would it be to see the Democrats win Georgia?

The Democrats are losing the old mid western union voters, and winning this election would prove that the hole is being filled with middle/upper class white suburban voters fed up with the GOP's stupidity and bigotry.

The next congressional elections are almost 18 months away, this is a special election to fill a seat vacated by one of Trump's cabinet members. Flipping the seat is a drop in the bucket, and doesn't necessarily forecast the next election given how far away that is.

This is more about sending a message to Republicans, and Dems wanting to see their enthusiasm and dislike for Trump turned into something tangible. This district in Georgia is traditionally Republican in a big way, but has turned more competitive recently.

I think the effects on post-2020 are yet to be determined about this district. Yes, Democrats are polling better, but a lot of that is anti-Trump. Remove him from the equation, and you're bound to see a bit of a rebound.

The eventual outcome is Georgia will turn purple, but I'm hesitant to call it sped up because of the jungle primary and this special election.

Yep. It's kind of like a Tory stronghold flipping to Labour.

To expand on this, it's like a Tory stronghold flipping to Labour that Labour intends to flip long term. The Dems need these seats to start rejecting Republicans, and win or lose today, it's clear the GOP is scaring people who live in seats like this.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I think the effects on post-2020 are yet to be determined about this district. Yes, Democrats are polling better, but a lot of that is anti-Trump. Remove him from the equation, and you're bound to see a bit of a rebound.

The eventual outcome is Georgia will turn purple, but I'm hesitant to call it sped up because of the jungle primary and this special election.

I said last election the state is 10 years out which means for presidential check back in 2028 and we can resurvey the landscape then.

I'd agree with you a lot of this is unique and I wouldn't base trends off of any of this.

rjinaz

I know, right. Two people (only one of whom actually committed a violent act) definitely shows signs of a growing trend. This isn't a bullshit smokescreen at all. There also definitely isn't an established pattern of right-wing violence over the last few decades.

Fuck outta here with this shit.

Lol. Yeah the Griffin thing was stupid but she was going for shock. I guess those on the Right (or the "middle") have to cling to anything to show the violent Left. Just ignore all of those Obama shooting targets and dummies hanging on trees and focus on a comedian losing her relevancy taking things too far.

I mean the shooting was horrible but I was just miles away from the Giffords shooting. It was far more horrible and it wasn't all that long ago.

The Democrats are losing the old mid western union voters, and winning this election would prove that the hole is being filled with middle/upper class white suburban voters fed up with the GOP's stupidity and bigotry.

And to give the scope of this, it would place Arizona, Georgia, Texas, and possibly even Utah on the table. As you can imagine, the potential in this kind of seat for the Democrats is enormous.

dead heat is 50/50 odds. Hes up by 2 points which is within a polling error of losing but you'd still rather be up 2 than even or down 2?

If it's within polling error of 50-50, then yes, it's a dead heat.

If H0 is "GuyA has 50 or greater" and Ha is "GuyB has 50 or greater," a 52-48 poll with a polling error >2 wouldn't give you evidence to reject the alternative.

Do people still not understand how polls work?

Polls close at 7pm EST I believe.

EDT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom