• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia special election heads to runoff as Ossoff earns 48% of vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

Gross! Who with a sane mind can honestly vote for Republican when they do stuff like this?

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/house-races/338370-ad-uses-scalise-shooting-against-ossoff

Ad uses Scalise shooting against Ossoff in Georgia

Related:
Georgia GOP official on #GA06: “I’ll tell you what: I think the shooting is going to win this election for us” http://wapo.st/2tjIjiS

— Bradd Jaffy (‏@BraddJaffy) June 19, 2017

WaPo: The Daily 202: Congressional shooting clouds final days of Georgia special election
-- Some Republicans see political upside in the tragedy. Brad Carver is chairman of the Republican Party in the neighboring 11th Congressional District, which is represented by Barry Loudermilk, a member of the GOP baseball squad who was on the scene during last Wednesday’s shooting.

“I’ll tell you what: I think the shooting is going to win this election for us,” Carver said Saturday after a get-out-the-vote rally for Handel in Chamblee. “Because moderates and independents in this district are tired of left-wing extremism. I get that there’s extremists on both sides, but we are not seeing them. We’re seeing absolute resistance to everything this president does. Moderates and independents out there want to give him a chance. Democrats have never given this president a chance.”

Ogodei

Honestly the shooting didn't seem to have much impact at all. Kathy Griffin's thing made more of an impact. We as a country will shrug our shoulders at a mass shooting, even of politicians, especially if it's a mass shooting where nobody innocent gets killed.

I live in Alexandria and have a right-leaning boss and she didn't seem to give a shit. More concerned that that was the baseball field her kids practice on.

Wasn't one of their pushes against Obama, especially at the beginning, was how inexperienced he was?

I don't remember if they ever tried to use that attack after the election but they did during the campaign. I seem to remember a lot of talk about Trump's business experience making him qualified to run the country though. I bet the current state of affairs does nothing to effect the Republican ideal of running the gov't like a business since it doesn't seem to matter how badly or how often that practice fails.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I have a feeling Handel is going to lose. Some Republicans have to be demotivated after seeing all the shit going on in the White House.

Cruxist

Gross.

But I'm still disappointed THIS is the race we're using as a barometer for the next year and a half. I've listened to a couple interviews with Ossoff, and he's so dry and boring. Doesn't sound like he believes what he's selling. Etc etc...

I know not every candidate needs to be exciting, especially for Congress. But there's been so much money spent and so much built into the mythology of this race that if he loses, I think Dem donors and the DCCC are going to be demoralized and gun-shy about 2018.

Even at his most boring, this guy is still leagues better than Handel or any Republican really. My buddy lives in the district and was ready for this to be over during the runoff. I'll text him today to see if he's voted yet.

First place I'd look is in your car. I've done that before.

I just stopped by after work a couple weeks ago and I was in and out in under 10 minutes. Hope you find your wallet!

I think I left it at the restaurant yesterday, I'll be calling in about an hour.

The provisional ballot here is pretty worthless if you are in this situation. You can fill one out, but you need to bring your ID by within two days or it is thrown out. We use SecureID here, so getting a new one isn't a big deal, but it does take seven days.

I think I left it at the restaurant yesterday, I'll be calling in about an hour.

The provisional ballot here is pretty worthless if you are in this situation. You can fill one out, but you need to bring your ID by within two days or it is thrown out. We use SecureID here, so getting a new one isn't a big deal, but it does take seven days.

I was just talking about how early voting in person seems easiest and fastest for us. Probably because we usually go soon after early voting starts or on Saturday if possible.

There was no literally no line at our nearest location, as soon as we finished the sign-in form, we headed back to vote.

Blader

Gross.

But I'm still disappointed THIS is the race we're using as a barometer for the next year and a half. I've listened to a couple interviews with Ossoff, and he's so dry and boring. Doesn't sound like he believes what he's selling. Etc etc...

There about 70 GOP-held districts that are less conservative than this one, so the barometer-ness of this race is a bit overexaggerated.

I have a feeling Handel is going to lose. Some Republicans have to be demotivated after seeing all the shit going on in the White House.

Don't do this to yourself. Assume Ossoff is going to lose, that way if he wins it'll be less depressing and more happy for you. I really don't think he's going to win

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Expecting 51-49 Handel, but my official prediction is 51.3 Ossoff.

Pretty much agree. Handel gonna squeek it out by like 2 points.

It's gonna be close all night though just to get the hopes up for liberals until upper strongholds report in for Handel in Alpharetta/Milton.

Yeah there's going to be a lot of really disappointed and demoralized posters in here tomorrow night I can already tell. Talking about "moral" victories only goes so far to massage the sting, too. It is going to suck since this was so close

I was starting to feel Ossoff might actually pull it out but the shooting is exactly the sort of thing Republicans know how to exploit to energize their base. They may not come out to support Trump but they'll show up to prevent Kathy Griffin leading an army of Bernie bros into their district to shoot all the real Americans and turn their children gay or whatever it is they believe the liberal Hollywood cabal is plotting.

As someone who is super invested in this, as others have said, temper your expectations here. The runoff was originally Ossoff's best chance and even that was a longshot, the head to head being even more so.

This community is very VERY rich/white/Republican. It's seriously amazing its as close as it is.

Sephzilla

I really hope Ossoff pulls this off. Ossoff pulling a W like might be a catalyst that causes the GOP to start distancing themselves from Trump

I was starting to feel Ossoff might actually pull it out but the shooting is exactly the sort of thing Republicans know how to exploit to energize their base. They may not come out to support Trump but they'll show up to prevent Kathy Griffin leading an army of Bernie bros into their district to shoot all the real Americans and turn their children gay or whatever it is they believe the liberal Hollywood cabal is plotting.

I think this district is a little too educated for that sort of stuff to work.

Maxim726X

Would be nice to have an actual victory and not a moral one for a change...

I really fucking hope the shooting doesn't actually galvanize Republican voters, but it definitely could.

Yeah he's going to lose. I'm going to go ahead and just say it. I donated quite a lot of money to his campaign, but I think I always knew he'd ultimately lose. Settling for another "moral" victory is what we'll be stuck with. And it is good that it'll be this close for the future, but no win this time. Hope will have to be for another time.

Would be nice to have an actual victory and not a moral one for a change...

I really fucking hope the shooting doesn't actually galvanize Republican voters, but it definitely could.

If only the cold blooded murder of children could galvanize them in such a manner towards actually positive movements.

If only...

Yeah he's going to lose. I'm going to go ahead and just say it. I donated quite a lot of money to his campaign, but I think I always knew he'd ultimately lose. Settling for another "moral" victory is what we'll be stuck with. And it is good that it'll be this close for the future, but no win this time. Hope will have to be for another time.

What good does thinking like this even accomplish?

why is he gonna lose?

Cheezus

I'll be amazed if Ossoff wins. The shooting probably tipped the scales in Handel's favor, and everyone focusing on this as a win or lose situation is bound to get more frustrated. I'm hoping a high profile loss here will help dems get their act together for 2018.

Handel sure does love her shitty photoshop:

yfju5X2.jpg

They're quoting the media for evidence.

I'm confused. I thought we couldn't trust the media.

The Washington Examiner, like the WaTimes, was created to be a right-wing counter to the left-leaning WaPost, only unlike the Times they've gone full Breitbart.

As for the others, well when they are talking shit about Democrats, they are golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom