• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia's 6th Congressional District Special Election |OT| Round 2: Fight!

RPGCrazied

gwinrescue.jpg

This is 1/4 mile outside the district.

Time to bust out that canoe, but jesus, didn't know it was that bad. Maybe the old people will stay home!

It's also pouring in Cobb according to the map. The storm is moving north and is basically going to cover Cobb and North Fulton by the hour.

This is why Early Voting is Good.

Time to bust out that canoe, but jesus, didn't know it was that bad. Maybe the old people will stay home!

He just said it was the most liberal part of the district, so those old people staying home because of this is probably not the old ones we want to stay home. Definitely seems like an omen.

It's also pouring in Cobb according to the map. The storm is moving north and is basically going to cover Cobb and North Fulton by the hour.

This is why Early Voting is Good.

N Fulton and Cobb voters really aren't going to be impacted as much. Much more car-based, and less prone to flooding.

there's a stigma against early voters? from who and why?
I've really only ever heard it from either Republicans or people who aren't super invested into politics.

Republicans just hate it because it makes it easier for people to vote and apparently voting should be something you need to hopscotch through flaming hoops to do (unless you're an old white person), but I've heard independents and even Democrats argue against it just because "well what if you want to change your vote before election day?"

Here's a better question, what if I'm not a fucking idiot who flip-flops on candidate choice days before the election? Incidentally MN implemented early voting and lets you re-vote on Election Day if you've already submitted an early ballot. Your second one will override the first one. Problem solved.

Damaniel

Banned

The problem with this chart is that all we're seeing is Democrats losing by less. We need to pick up seats, not win some kind of moral victory by losing by 5 points instead of 25. Hopefully these results will extend beyond the special elections, but 2018 is still a long ways away.

Ithil

The problem with this chart is that all we're seeing is Democrats losing by less. We need to pick up seats, not win some kind of moral victory by losing by 5 points instead of 25. Hopefully these results will extend beyond the special elections, but 2018 is still a long ways away.

Well the natural thought is if a R-25 seat becomes a R-5 seat, what happens to an R-5 seat?

NastyBook

Flash Flood warning today and it's raining cats and dogs. So many people showing up at the branch looking to vote, but they don't realize they live nowhere near the 6th District.

I've really only ever heard it from either Republicans or people who aren't super invested into politics.

Republicans just hate it because it makes it easier for people to vote and apparently voting should be something you need to hopscotch through flaming hoops to do (unless you're an old white person), but I've heard independents and even Democrats argue against it just because "well what if you want to change your vote before election day?"

Here's a better question, what if I'm not a fucking idiot who flip-flops on candidate choice days before the election? Incidentally MN implemented early voting and lets you re-vote on Election Day if you've already submitted an early ballot. Your second one will override the first one. Problem solved.

I don't agree with it, but I can actually see this in point in extreme cases. For example, in the Montana special election, after giant bald ass bitch man, or whatever his name was, body slammed that reporter, apparently a ton of calls came into the election office to change their votes. That's obviously an extreme example, though, and I generally agree early voting is prime and we should have at least a full month of early voting by default.

I'm shocked you came to this conclusion

I didn't. It was a feeling.

We won several of those seats though. I wish it bolded the ones we did win.

Lord Frieza said:
I don't agree with it, but I can actually see this in point in extreme cases. For example, in the Montana special election, after giant bald ass bitch man, or whatever his name was, body slammed that reporter, apparently a ton of calls came into the election office to change their votes. That's obviously an extreme example, though, and I generally agree early voting is prime and we should have at least a full month of early voting by default.
Just do what Minnesota does then, let them come in on election day and toss out their early ballot.

Wish I could vote. But I'm in south GA in the 8th district. Also yeah even down here its been raining none stop for like the last 2 weeks. It's crazy.

Everyone is getting it now.

DCyrwQ7UAAAppgs.jpg

He just said it was the most liberal part of the district, so those old people staying home because of this is probably not the old ones we want to stay home. Definitely seems like an omen.

It's not actually a picture from the district. The bigger issue is the traffic for people to get--

Yeah, Ossoff is going to lose. I just had that feeling, it pulsed through me right now. I'm sorry.

--okay, you know what? Take a Xanax.

Well, we have actually won two state seats in NY and NH that have never had Democrats, so there has been actual wins, just not on the federal level. The NJ governor seat is leaning Democrat, too, so that will probably flip by the end of the year. And VA governorship, too, I think?

Just do what Minnesota does then, let them come in on election day and toss out their early ballot.

That would definitely be the best solution.

Well, we have actually won two state seats in NY and NH that have never had Democrats, so there has been actual wins, just not on the federal level. The NJ governor seat is leaning Democrat, too, so that will probably flip by the end of the year. And VA governorship, too, I think?
Most prognosticators have Virginia as Lean D, although we already have the governor's seat there. What we don't have is the House of Delegates which is also up, flipping it would be major for us (but a slog, we need 17 seats and most are expecting 10 at best).

Incidentally there's also an open, GOP-held but Dem-leaning Senate seat in Washington that could flip the State Senate (it was represented by a Republican, Republicans are in control thanks to one turncoat Democrat) up in November, and North Carolina might have the entire legislature up for election this November under new court-drawn maps.

Sean C

Hopefully these results will extend beyond the special elections, but 2018 is still a long ways away.
Things will only get worse for the GOP between now and 2018.

At this point in 2009, the Democrats were winning Republican-held seats in special elections, by comparison.

Hedging your own opinions is bad form for others and yourself.

Just assuming what you don't want to happen will happen so you can either be right or be happy.

Most prognosticators have Virginia as Lean D, although we already have the governor's seat there. What we don't have is the House of Delegates which is also up, flipping it would be major for us (but a slog, we need 17 seats and most are expecting 10 at best).

Incidentally there's also an open, GOP-held but Dem-leaning Senate seat in Washington that could flip the State Senate (it was represented by a Republican, Republicans are in control thanks to one turncoat Democrat) up in November, and North Carolina might have the entire legislature up for election this November under new court-drawn maps.

Didn't even know about a lot of this, sounds mostly good, too.

The most liberal part of the district is TURNING OUT.

@Nate_Cohn

This is potentially a very big number
@DecisionDeskHQ
13,787 votes have been cast in DeKalb as of 3pm, per the county elections office .#GA06
@Nate_Cohn
In rnd 1, there were 12.6k by 3pm, which yielded 32k eday votes.
This time, ev was up 100k. Matching rnd 1 eday vt = a huge turnout

@Nate_Cohn
Even in a high turnout race, like 250k overall, we would only expect around 25k eday votes in DeKalb, given the much larger E.V.

there's a stigma against early voters? from who and why?

Humans are natural procrastinators. Being early is always a negative, it signals that you have nothing better to do. If they just removed the word early and just called everything voting, I bet most people would vote earlier than election day.

Top Bottom