• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Georgia's 6th Congressional District Special Election |OT| Round 2: Fight!

Zyae

The problem with this chart is that all we're seeing is Democrats losing by less. We need to pick up seats, not win some kind of moral victory by losing by 5 points instead of 25. Hopefully these results will extend beyond the special elections, but 2018 is still a long ways away.
They won most of those.

The most liberal part of the district is TURNING OUT.
High turnout is good but let' not read into this too much like in November

@Nate_Cohn
This also means that total turnout in DeKalb has already surpassed the round 1 total.

wowowowowow

We needed this.

[citation needed]

It's 7pm, except for two DeKalb locations that had screwed up registration procedures prior to opening.

Let us handle this, ok?

"Hey, I think you meant DeKalb, not Fulton" is another way to phrase this.

III-V

This is insane: the sky has opened up, any Election Day voters will pay the price and what will be the final result?

Very exciting to watch this. Hopefully Ossof can bring home a big big win.

Snwaters

wowowowowow

We needed this.

"Hey, I think you meant DeKalb, not Fulton" is another way to phrase this.
This sounds like the opposite to the situation in Montana, where early looks at the various districts had it bad for the Democrat. Here's hoping Ossoff can do it.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I think Ossoff can squeak it out if enough Dragon Ball Z gifs get posted.

Zackat

giphy.webp

zethren

Banned
That Pelosi joke fuckin slayed me lol

Living in this area and knowing it pretty well at this point, I'm not too confident that Ossoff can win. But it's a tight race to be sure, so here's hoping he pulls it off.

A little over an hour to go and Nate Cohn walks us through it.

@Nate_Cohn
Let's talk about what to expect, because I think there are a lot of misperceptions out there.
@Nate_Cohn
We expect a big turnout. I'd guess >250k, but it could go higher. We're starting high to be safe, but who knows.

@Nate_Cohn
I expect the results to be much more like a normal election, not something like Ossoff starting at 60% of the early vote like last time

@Nate_Cohn
Many Republicans who voted on election day turned out in early voting. And, Dems moved to *mail* which is reported separately and later

@Nate_Cohn
Fulton in-person early vote will be interesting to watch as a rough barometer. Big and ~representative. Pbly still biased D but not wildly
DCy8Lf0UIAA2_Y4.jpg:large

@Nate_Cohn
The mail vote is going to throw people off. It's quite D, reports late and it's tough to tell if it's in if you're not looking at right data

@Nate_Cohn
All of the analysis you've seen of the early vote lumps in person EV/Mail together! So the initial IPEV vote will not be as D as some expect

Tarkus

I'm surprised that you guys are still into these pollster people after the pres election. I hope you don't get your soul hurt here. Seems like it could go either way.

giga

I'm surprised that you guys are still into these pollster people after the pres election. I hope you don't get your soul hurt here. Seems like it could go either way.
Nate was pretty grounded election night and called it like it was when things weren't going well for Hillary.

JaggedSac

Wtf, it's not even raining right now where I am. Just got the flood warning on my phone though. Where the hell is this flooding taking place.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
You know who's also gonna report in late?

Milton

You know what they gonna do? Pull that R level regardless of candidate

Tarkus

Which is what the polls are saying. Any more of them hot takes?
I don't know. People are confident for Ossoff. I've not been following this but given my experience of having lived here my entire life, I think he has DeKalb but it will be close depending on turn out. Fulton will also be close. Cobb/Marietta is Handel's I think.

I don't know. People are confident for Ossoff. I've not been following this but given my experience of having lived here my entire life, I think he has DeKalb but it will be close depending on turn out. Fulton will also be close. Cobb/Marietta is Handel's I think.

They are not

PKrockin

Everyone I know who follows politics closely is nervous about this race.

It's good that those of you who live in the area are dulling down hope as much as possible. I think it's going to soften the blow a lot. Not being sarcastic either, by the way, I think we need hope to be shot down. I said this yesterday, but I can tell a lot of people are hinging themselves on an oiled rod and they were going to get hurt on the way down. Need to be realistic about it.

Zyae

It's good that those of you who live in the area are dulling down hope as much as possible. I think it's going to soften the blow a lot. Not being sarcastic either, by the way, I think we need hope to be shot down. I said this yesterday, but I can tell a lot of people are hinging themselves on an oiled rod and they were going to get hurt on the way down. Need to be realistic about it.
Great attitude

Realistically, this is a 50/50 race. Treating it as such is healthier than either one that leans either way.

EDIT: To be fair, I think it's realistic for people who think that this is a MUST WIN. It's not. It's nice. But if it's close, it bodes well for 2018.

Great attitude

Thank you

Realistically, this is a 50/50 race. Treating it as such is healthier than either one that leans either way.

Oh yeah, it could go either way, of course, not disputing that. But people who live there helping put in perspective the reality of that situation is good for those who have too much hope for the end result.

Oh good, the sky is already crying 😥

I know, the signs are in the times.

Top Bottom