• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

stuff about spread.

The maximum and minimum constraints and their bullet placement *probabilities* may be consistent, but the results within the constraints are effectively random in their execution and communication to the player.

Your objection is akin to trying to correct someone saying that an ideal die will be a random choice between {1,2,3,4,5,6}, and you object saying that it's not an accurate assessment because the chances for each number will always be 1/6. This comes across as needless pedantry only to agree with the sentiment implied in the original statement anyway.

Also, Welcome to GAF! :)

EDIT: Put another way, the spread (commonly understood to be the final trajectory of the bullets) itself is random, but its dimensions are not. Would you approve using "grouping" instead, if we're gonna talk about "bullets"?

Trup1aya

What I am trying to say is the phrase "random spread" can be misleading. The levels of max deviation are consistent, as in it won't randomly decide to have a max error angle of .1 with one burst and then .2 with the next, and then to .05 and then to .3. It does have spread constraints, just sometimes the bullets can fall closer to the center of the reticule.

I think it's important to distinguish this, as a player can always predict the maximum spread and know their bullets will fall somewhere in between. I don't think it is a good system as it is unpredictable, and yeah the results are random. But the max spread is consistent.

I think random spread is an applicable term. Everyone knows that the deviation from center will be somewhere within the contraints of the reticle. But the player didn't know exactly where their bullet will go, because it came down to a dice roll. Its adding literal rng to a scenario that should be all about skill.

Being able to predict the maximum spread doesn't help when you're in in close 1v1, and you have no way of knowing whether subsequent bullets will be left,right,above, or below center.

Velikost

Playing Destiny for the first time since around the Taken King launch because my buddy likes it for some reason.

God damn is the PvP awful. I know a lot of people don't like 343, but at least they never make something like this.

Wish he would've asked to play H5 instead

Playing Destiny for the first time since around the Taken King launch because my buddy likes it for some reason.

God damn is the PvP awful. I know a lot of people don't like 343, but at least they never make something like this.

Destiny PVP feels like a generic ADS shooter from some c-tier studio. The PVE stuff was alright until you got to the grinding. I played Destiny more than I would have due to the competition at the time (there was very little). Now there's Overwatch, Halo 5, etc. I doubt I'll buy Destiny 2 unless it's on a spur of the moment situation.

Velikost

Forgot to mention I'm locked out of all but one playlist because I never bought Rise of Iron. I remember people were pissed about that garbage back when the first expansion came out. Crazy that they still do that and it's just accepted now

FyreWulff

Forgot to mention I'm locked out of all but one playlist because I never bought Rise of Iron. I remember people were pissed about that garbage back when the first expansion came out. Crazy that they still do that and it's just accepted now

Because they just consolidated the playlists down before moving on to the next game. Instead of splitting the non-DLC owners between 3 playlists, they're now consolidated into a single playlist that rotates weekly.

DLC owners went down to 4 playlists they can play exclusively from 9. (i'm not counting Trials)

Also, you can play all the non Rise of Iron maps in customs for free even if you never bought a single expansion, and all non ROI maps are in the free playlist.

edit: also the free playlist has the free MT drop and Marks attached to it so it should have lots of population

So i tried regular Warzone again yesterday. First time in a long time. I figured, let me see if its better.

I get in (in a game thats already started) and my team is getting wrecked. We have one point and cant even get out of it. Proceeded to get wrecked the rest of the game.

This game mode just isnt for me.

In a recent Destiny thread, a lot of people were comparing the two and quite a few were saying they prefer Destiny PvP. What world am I living in?

I really want Destiny 2 to succeed on the PvP front, but I have a feeling it's going to find itself in the same pitfalls as the first. I don't expect Halo level of balance in Destiny considering it's designed for your character to crossover between campaign/multiplayer, but there is a lot of stuff they could do to improve balance, the question is do they really want to.

jem0208

In a recent Destiny thread, a lot of people were comparing the two and quite a few were saying they prefer Destiny PvP. What world am I living in?

I really want Destiny 2 to succeed on the PvP front, but I have a feeling it's going to find itself in the same pitfalls as the first. I don't expect Halo level of balance in Destiny considering it's designed for your character to crossover between campaign/multiplayer, but there is a lot of stuff they could do to improve balance, the question is do they really want to.

Destiny PvP is much easier than Halo 5, probably the reason why.

Destiny PvP is much cheaper than Halo 5, probably the reason why.

ftfy

I always come back to the "fair-death-feel". Halo is the best at this, when I get killed, it feels like it's because I fucked up or the other guy did something very right a vast majority of the time. Destiny doesn't have that, at all. There's simply too much randomness in encounters for that feeling to occur, almost to the level of COD. The level of aim-assist is also horrendous; I don't feel like I'm actually aiming my weapon. I doubt they'll change that.

Karl2177

ftfy

I always come back to the "fair-death-feel". Halo is the best at this, when I get killed, it feels like it's because I fucked up or the other guy did something very right a vast majority of the time. Destiny doesn't have that, at all. There's simply too much randomness in encounters for that feeling to occur, almost to the level of COD. The level of aim-assist is also horrendous; I don't feel like I'm actually aiming my weapon. I doubt they'll change that.
Too many one hit kills in Destiny and in every Halo game since Reach. Even then in Reach it felt like any moron could pick up the sniper and get a snipe spree or lob 2 grenades in the general vicinity of the player and there was nothing they could do aside from armor lock.

Too many one hit kills in Destiny and in every Halo game since Reach. Even then in Reach it felt like any moron could pick up the sniper and get a snipe spree or lob 2 grenades in the general vicinity of the player and there was nothing they could do aside from armor lock.

Yeah bungie really transitioned into a weak multiplayer studio with Reach and Destiny.

It never really felt like they embraced the competitive nature of the earlier games and it almost always seemed like they detested the pistol/ br for turning halo into a '1 weapon game'

I guess they finally got the big sandbox game they wanted but... one weapon games are just far more fun.

In no universe is destiny MP better than Halo5. I dunno who says that, but theyre insane. I love Bungie, ive been playing their games since marathon, and i find Destiny PvP really weak.

if it wasnt for the bounties, i never would have touched it after the first time.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Jesus, his reaction hurts.

Am I the only one who thinks Reach is the ugliest in the series.

Lol. Brings back memories at launch of my casual friends favorite strategy; run up to guys, throw grenade at feet, and armor lock. So stupid. So much armor lock fuckery in that game

Lol. Brings back memories at launch of my casual friends favorite strategy; run up to guys, throw grenade at feet, and armor lock. So stupid. So much armor lock fuckery in that game

The best was that gif of 2 people trying to kill each other but are both armor locking back and forth. Classic

Besides skyboxes and armour design, Reach is really fucking ugly.

People may not like 343's art direction but at least they didn't go for the dark and gritty aesthetic.

I think in 4k it would look amazing. I believe that the only reason Reach didnt age well is because of the hardware its on. The other halos were more 'colorful' so their age doesnt show as much.

Reach in 4k/60fps would look amazing.

I think in 4k it would look amazing. I believe that the only reason Reach didnt age well is because of the hardware its on. The other halos were more 'colorful' so their age doesnt show as much.

Reach in 4k/60fps would look amazing.

I don't know, I feel like the contrast was all fucked up and everything felt ultra blocky in design. Maybe part of that is just my memories of forge, which ended up being a large portion of multiplayer maps.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The best was that gif of 2 people trying to kill each other but are both armor locking back and forth. Classic

So many matches against actually good armor lockers that would just cycle between armor lock state and fuck you. Armor lock was the dumbest thing halo has ever done. Easily.

I don't know, I feel like the contrast was all fucked up and everything felt ultra blocky in design. Maybe part of that is just my memories of forge, which ended up being a large portion of multiplayer maps.

Yeah, i mean more redone with high rez textures and 4k. I think it would look really good.

So i tried regular Warzone again yesterday. First time in a long time. I figured, let me see if its better.

I get in (in a game thats already started) and my team is getting wrecked. We have one point and cant even get out of it. Proceeded to get wrecked the rest of the game.

This game mode just isnt for me.
I'm not being a jerk I swear, but did you try spawning at home base and going a different route instead? More times than I can remember people forget the option exists, especially on a map like apex.

I'm not being a jerk I swear, but did you try spawning at home base and going a different route instead? More times than I can remember people forget the option exists, especially on a map like apex.

It was on the map Skirmish at Darkstar. The point is literally beside the base. Made no difference.

It was on the map Skirmish at Darkstar. The point is literally beside the base. Made no difference.
Sometimes spawning at home (maybe with camo) on darkstar and then going through Colony (avoiding the armory area all together) is really effective. Worst case you can distract at their armory. Spawning at home (except stormbreak, which is just shit) gives you usually at least 3 pathing options.

Fuchsdh

Agreed, I'm not even a big fan of the armor, I do like the customization though.

Honestly while there's a lot of junk armor sets among the gems in 5 (or, more common, sets that I like *except for* one aspect, like oversized thrusters, a helmet that looks wonky from a certain angle, et al) I still like it much more than Reach's bolt-on modular aesthetic for its Spartans.

Trup1aya

Back on the subject of H3 BR spread, vetoed posted this a while back

Cpl3o5qXgAA3Obt.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/Vetoed/status/763775656928874497/video/1

It definately fits the definition of random, and at range, luck could trump skill. It would be fine if it just has the same spread every time.

jem0208

I did some tests with the H3 BR and I'm pretty sure the bullets don't take into account your lateral movement. So if you and an enemy are strafing parallel to each and with the same velocity you still have to lead them which is just silly.

Karl2177

Sometimes spawning at home (maybe with camo) on darkstar and then going through Colony (avoiding the armory area all together) is really effective. Worst case you can distract at their armory. Spawning at home (except stormbreak, which is just shit) gives you usually at least 3 pathing options.
Eh. ARC, Darkstar, and Stormbreak home bases are just the first armories with a minute jog.

Huh. Dicking around in Forge and I picked up this tidbit:

From full shields and health you cannot kill yourself with a single rocket from a SPNKr Prime. You will always rebound off of the blast and have exactly one pixel of health left.

That's probably an intentional failsafe programmed in to avoid players pulling a Combat Evolved and blowing themselves up the first time they pull the trigger. Bleedthrough operates on similar principles.

Eh. ARC, Darkstar, and Stormbreak home bases are just the first armories with a minute jog.
Unless, as I elaborated, you don't actually go to the armory. That was the whole point of my suggestion. Try for a back-cap, go for garage, steal a boss, distract at fortress. Fighting for the armory is never the only option, and is why I mentioned multiple paths. The armory is only one of them.

However, like I said, stormbreak is indeed shit. You have to go near the armory some way or another, which among other things, is why it's my least favorite warzone map.

Yeah, i was getting so aggravated that i didnt think of it. Team sucked ass.

Karl2177

Unless, as I elaborated, you don't actually go to the armory. That was the whole point of my suggestion. Try for a back-cap, go for garage, steal a boss, distract at fortress. Fighting for the armory is never the only option, and is why I mentioned multiple paths. The armory is only one of them.

However, like I said, stormbreak is indeed shit. You have to go near the armory some way or another, which among other things, is why it's my least favorite warzone map.
ARC home practically takes you to the armory. And on darkstar, the only viable option is the one you mentioned. Which is why when my team controls Fortress, I either control that center point or snipe from the Fortress because it's so easy to do either.

Trup1aya

https://twitter.com/MLGACE/status/851298078808301568

I never want to hear anything about the DMR Bloom in Reach, its what makes the game good. Learn it, get good, and maybe you'll like it

Random elements like BR spread and DMR bloom were not good and having to alter gameplay settings to make them better means they were not a good mechanic.

Such a ridiculous comment when MLG had to boost the damage to cancel out the negative impact of the random spread.

He was one of the top h3 players, but he was playing on settings that most people were not.

ARC home practically takes you to the armory. And on darkstar, the only viable option is the one you mentioned. Which is why when my team controls Fortress, I either control that center point or snipe from the Fortress because it's so easy to do either.
ARC home -> tunnel -> garage/small tunnel/cliffside
Darkstar home -> colony -> enemy armory
Darkstar home -> colony ->fortress flank
Darkstar home -> underground tunnels (that literally everyone forgets exists) -> fortress/boss/different armory angle.

Again, camo camo camo. It's crazy powerful in warzone, especially with advanced sensors. It's extremely rare that I've been trapped as badly as implied here.

TCKaos

ARC home -> tunnel -> garage/small tunnel/cliffside
Darkstar home -> colony -> enemy armory
Darkstar home -> colony ->fortress flank
Darkstar home -> underground tunnels (that literally everyone forgets exists) -> fortress/boss/different armory angle.

Again, camo camo camo. It's crazy powerful in warzone, especially with advanced sensors. It's extremely rare that I've been trapped as badly as implied here.

To be fair on ARC if the opposing team controls garage there's like a 90% chance there's going to be someone watching the tunnel, unless that's what we're getting at and I missed it because I'm just jumping into the middle of the conversation.

PS Apex is the best map and we all know it and it's time to stop pretending that that isn't the case. It's got enough cover to allow for competent infantry play, it's got enough paths for great vehicle play, there are enough aerial structures to make it so that air vehicles aren't overpowering, and it's the only map with a backdoor for the home base so that you can go steal Spire or an armory. It's the only map that has all of these things at the same time.

Velikost

I really need to check out Halo Waypoint more. After the past two Halo arena seasons went on for months, I assumed that's just how they were doing it now. Never finished placements for the January/February season, so I'll forever be missing an emblem. RIP

Because they just consolidated the playlists down before moving on to the next game. Instead of splitting the non-DLC owners between 3 playlists, they're now consolidated into a single playlist that rotates weekly.

Oh boy, I can play one gametype a week?!

People that put thousands of hours into a bad game can convince themselves of a lot of things.

Top Bottom