• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Welfare

Civilization Revolution going BC has slowed down my Halo time. I also am meaning to finish Destiny up.

I do try to get some matches in every week though.

BizzyBum

My Halo time has dropped to a few matches a week. It usually ends in frustration. Then a week goes by and I'm like "I should play some Halo 5" and it just ends in frustration again.

Believe me, I know. Playing Warzone is an exercise in frustration. I've really come to dislike the mode. It was way more fun when there were less Reqs and people didn't have all the stupidly OP shit unlocked.

Q1 2017 also had a ton of great games come out plus the Switch release so it only makes sense less people playing.

Believe me, I know. Playing Warzone is an exercise in frustration. I've really come to dislike the mode. It was way more fun when there were less Reqs and people didn't have all the stupidly OP shit unlocked.

Q1 2017 also had a ton of great games come out plus the Switch release so it only makes sense less people playing.

Yup. Warzone was a blast pre-launch at immediately at launch. It's just a goofy crap show now.

Fuchsdh

Damn, we're so close to Achilles and progress seems to have dramatically slowed down again after a nice spurt there for awhile. :(

I did manage to get 3 buckle ups yesterday though!

I seem to only get them in clusters now, with long droughts of games in between them. Probably BTB would be an easier way than war zone but I need peeps to play with for that :|

Been stuck in work hell and traveling the last few weekends so I haven't had much time to play period. I am not equipped to travel all the time.

Damn, we're so close to Achilles and progress seems to have dramatically slowed down again after a nice spurt there for awhile. :(

I did manage to get 3 buckle ups yesterday though!

I've been playing Zelda and Mass Effect, I just wrapped up Zelda so there should be time for Halo.

Trup1aya

Eric Nylund wants to clear a few things up.
https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/64z3w4/eric_nylund_wants_to_clear_a_few_things_up/

343 and I have circled each other for years, but we never quite seem to sync up— either our schedules are misaligned or we could never agree on what or how I should be involved. I even pinged Bonnie about the Narrative Director position ... but it appears that I was too late.

Very sad info. He shouldn't have to ping for a job, they should be constantly pinging him.

Eric Nylund wants to clear a few things up.
https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/64z3w4/eric_nylund_wants_to_clear_a_few_things_up/

Very sad info of this guy is really Eric. He shouldn't have to ping for a job, they should be constantly pinging him.

I think the problems are bigger than just that. They could hire him, but that doesnt make all the other problems go away.

Great games are for the most-part 'great' because they have a perfect combination of things all in one package. The games themselves are by no means "perfect", but you know what i mean.

Look at Halo CE at the time, the story, gameplay, visuals, MP, AI, enemies, universe etc they were all fantastic. It was an incredible package and practically every part of it surpassed expectations. Most of the greatest games of all time have this in common. They do practically everything right, even if they arent all perfect.

Halo 5 doesnt even come close to this standard. The arena MP is fantastic and the forge updates have been great but other than those 2 things, for me, its not even close.

He could help, but theres a lot more problems to fix than just that imo.

Trup1aya

^ definately dont think he could fix everything. But he'd be a high level talent that could address one of this series' most flawed areas.

I think 343 has a lot of dev talent. But the direction is lacking. In each area of the game, it feels like the vision from leadership is either out of touch with halos core values, incomplete or just pain bad.

It would be nice to get the narrative back on track, even if that doesn't fix the approach to campaign structure, mp content, competitive balance, art direction etc. It would be a step in the right direction.

Chittagong

Gold Member
My Halo time has dropped to a few matches a week. It usually ends in frustration. Then a week goes by and I'm like "I should play some Halo 5" and it just ends in frustration again.

Yeah I'm with you. Returned after a few months. They've fixed the lag, and with my 4ms ping all my shots land just as a think they would. Get a lot of headshots. Game feels perfect.

But, 30% win ratio. Ranked down to low gold, getting almost entirely matched against teams (with Diamonds and Plats in them), some times same team many times in a row.

I grow so frustrated I swear I have had it with Halo 5. Then once in a blue moon I get matched against a non-team, become MVP and take my team to victory, and just like that, I am pulled back in.

Serious question, has 343 ever commented why teams are allowed to matchmaking with solos? It's bullshit.

Trup1aya

Serious question, has 343 ever commented why teams are allowed to matchmaking with solos? It's bullshit.

The most recent argument is that a good matchmaking algorithm COULD effectively handle the job of making sure players get quality matches regardless of their party size, without imposing hard restrictions that could impact wait times.

As a math guy, i believe this argument to be true... But 343 has yet to implement a good algorithm.

The approach menke is working on makes perfect sense, but i wish it didn't take so long to implement.

Fuchsdh

Apparently Naded is hard to team with so it makes sense.

Crazy that 25 is the retirement age for gamers. lol

Yeah it's kind of odd at this point that a sport with a comparatively lower athletic requirement actually has lower retirement ages than more physically punishing ones.

BizzyBum

High turnover is inevitable. The only way to keep players on teams longterm like CLG/Optic would be to pay them more and make them sign contracts like other professional sports.

belushy

Banned
Do orgs in other eSports always cycling players?

COD used to have the same problem but ever since the bigger orgs starting joining, its slowed down. Halo is really the only game with this big of a team changing problem right now.

edit: and like Fuch said its more of problem in Halo since the scene is so small compared to others in terms of playerbase.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yeah it's kind of odd at this point that a sport with a comparatively lower athletic requirement actually has lower retirement ages than more physically punishing ones.

Twitch reflexes and eyesight.

In caveman times you would get eaten by a sabertooth tiger shortly after you had procreated. Possibly the same afternoon if you got sleepy.*

Be interested to see other game styles- golfers for example can succeed well into retirement age.

Also Eric Nylund is a fantastic writer, has thick movie star hair and knows we'd be happy to have him create more stories in the Halo universe and knows how to Reach me.

Eric's skills obviously extend to more than just typing but our recent narrative design role is not writing heavy and aspects of his prodigious skill set would go unused. Or even wasted.

*science

This post brought to you from Alaska Airlines last second spring break package deals.
km1FChh.jpg

Fuchsdh

In caveman times you would get eaten by a sabertooth tiger shortly after you had procreate.

Lol.

But do your reflexes really degrade that much faster than the rest of your physical ability? I'm pushing thirty and I've still got better than 20/20 vision despite god knows how much screen time I've put in.

It does seem like esports still has a long way to go in being as "stable" as a pro sport career (even CoD players aren't likely to be able to make a living off it unless you are the top team, and Halo is comparatively smaller at this point), and until that happens careers will be shorter, but it also seems weird that across all sorts of games the ages are still so low. There's as far as I know no big League player older than 30, and the oldest SC2 player I can think of is 36.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Lol.

But do your reflexes really degrade that much faster than the rest of your physical ability? I'm pushing thirty and I've still got better than 20/20 vision despite god knows how much screen time I've put in.

It does seem like esports still has a long way to go in being as "stable" as a pro sport career (even CoD players aren't likely to be able to make a living off it unless you are the top team, and Halo is comparatively smaller at this point), and until that happens careers will be shorter, but it also seems weird that across all sorts of games the ages are still so low. There's as far as I know no big League player older than 30, and the oldest SC2 player I can think of is 36.

Honestly the primary data is the market. There is great research happening, possibly with some of best available data ever - microsecond measurements of literally millions of participants. It is a treasure trove of data and metrics. And you can look at age curves directly overlaid.

And of course with rules, come exceptions. Gonna be plenty of Ben Roethlisbergers out there. Good for the sport. (alleged personal Behaviors excepted)

Also Eric Nylund is a fantastic writer, has thick movie star hair and knows we'd be happy to have him create more stories in the Halo universe and knows how to Reach me.

Eric's skills obviously extend to more than just typing but our recent narrative design role is not writing heavy and aspects of his prodigious skill set would go unused. Or even wasted.

*science

This post brought to you from Alaska Airlines last second spring break package deals.

I wish I had thick movie star hair :'(

Look at Halo CE at the time, the story, gameplay, visuals, MP, AI, enemies, universe etc they were all fantastic. It was an incredible package and practically every part of it surpassed expectations. Most of the greatest games of all time have this in common. They do practically everything right, even if they arent all perfect.

Halo 5 doesnt even come close to this standard. The arena MP is fantastic and the forge updates have been great but other than those 2 things, for me, its not even close.

lmao

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

I play everyday still, but it is mostly Super Fiesta. At times it is completely frustrating because RNG is so unfair. But it's quick fun that ends up lasting a couple of hours most times.

Madness

In caveman times you would get eaten by a sabertooth tiger shortly after you had procreated. Possibly the same afternoon if you got sleepy.*

Be interested to see other game styles- golfers for example can succeed well into retirement age.

*science

Make it happen Frank... Franchise Director the shit out of Eric Nylund creating a new story.

Damn. Nylund's Halo is the pinnacle of its experience for me. Not to be a dick but I can't help but feel that's a huge fucking mistake to NOT hire Nylund when he's chasing you.

Did Staten take this role instead? Who's the narrative director now?

A 2 mins search shows this worrying aspect to narrative staff:

Post Halo 5
As of today six out of nine persons working in 343i's narrative team have left the company. Troisi (Quantic Dreams), Schlerf (Bungie), Moller (Bungie), Colomb (Bungie), Drzaic (Amazon Studios) and Downs (freelance) are out – Brian Reed, Lindsay Lockhart and Caleb Doughty remain.

That's a lot of change IMO, turbulent even.

LOL:

I see you.

Fuchsdh

Damn. Nylund's Halo is the pinnacle of its experience for me. Not to be a dick but I can't help but feel that's a huge fucking mistake to NOT hire Nylund when he's chasing you.

LOL:

I see you.

Over a period of years? Not particularly.

m23

LOL:

I see you.

Isn't Brian Reed gone as well?

Over a period of years? Not particularly.

It's not crazy unusual but I feel it points to a lack of vision or direction across games/media. It appears there isn't a master plan or Halo bible guiding the story so each game fits in, it appears to be done in the exact opposite method.

Look at the smaller teams on earlier games, less staff on the same job and things are more contained and focused by an overseeing staff member running the whole show. Now it appears to be more by committee without that driving singular force with a vision to really craft things.

Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed but seeing a snapshot of the narrative team like this does not strike me as a good thing at all.

Isn't Brian Reed gone as well?

I'm not sure he's gone entirely but not narrative director anymore.

http://www.dbltap.com/posts/4668281-brian-reed-no-longer-narrative-director-for-halo?a_aid=41135

It's not crazy unusual but I feel it points to a lack of vision or direction across games/media. It appears there isn't a master plan or Halo bible guiding the story so each game fits in, it appears to be done in the exact opposite method.

Look at the smaller teams on earlier games, less staff on the same job and things are more contained and focused by an overseeing staff member running the whole show. Now it appears to be more by committee without that driving singular force with a vision to really craft things.

Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed but seeing a snapshot of the narrative team like this does not strike me as a good thing at all.

What the hell are you talking about? Most of 343's presentations at conferences and whatnot have suggested that the narrative actually has more of a chokehold on the direction of the franchise now compared to Bungie's run. Like, regardless of opinions on the actual content, you can read about Tanaka in Escalation or Vale in Hunters in the Dark and things line up (for the most part) between the EU and gameplay. In terms of the content actually established by 343i, we haven't really gotten a Fall of Reach -> Halo Reach moment yet in terms of disparities from the extended lore to in-game implementation. Just because people may not be happy with how the content lines up with Classic Halo™ doesn't mean it's disparate on its own merits.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
What the hell are you talking about? Most of 343's presentations at conferences and whatnot have suggested that the narrative actually has more of a chokehold on the direction of the franchise now compared to Bungie's run. Like, regardless of opinions on the actual content, you can read about Tanaka in Escalation or Vale in Hunters in the Dark and things line up (for the most part) between the EU and gameplay. In terms of the content actually established by 343i, we haven't really gotten a Fall of Reach -> Halo Reach moment yet in terms of disparities from the extended lore to in-game implementation. Just because people may not be happy with how the content lines up with Classic Halo™ doesn't mean it's disparate on its own merits.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, perhaps, he is referring to how halo 4 started a major storyline that was hastily wrapped up for a sequel, but the sequel apparently went in an entirely different direction with little connection to the previous game. Halo 4 and 5's stories certainly feel disconnected from each other, let alone a "big picture" narrative.

FyreWulff

I think one possible avenue would be combining Destiny's analog-cursor option to avoid the muscle memory issue, and then having relative terminology based on playlist demographics. That is, rather than hard numbers, you might have something like "VERY LOW / LOW / GOOD / HIGH / VERY HIGH" that indicates how populated a given playlist is, but it's not a consistent metric across playlists. Something generic like Team Slayer is obviously going to be more populous than TU Beta Slayer, so while "HIGH" by Team Slayer standards might be 10,000+, for TU Beta Slayer it could be 500+ (the examples are arbitrary). Even something as simple as seeing "GOOD" versus "LOW" in something more obscure like Action Sack or Team Objective would probably be enough to encourage people to try it more often.

Yeah, there's all sorts of solutions. But sometimes too much information can actually harm a playlist from a feedback loop.

I know i was growlsy mcgrowls in the past about playlists but sometimes you also have to step aside, take the playlist fanboy out of yourself (for me, that was Team Control back then) and admit that sometimes, playlists just aren't viable or will always struggle with population.

wwm0nkey

Man, while it should happen I think Frank was too explicit in denying it for it to exist at this point.

Would have been crazy to see Halo 3 Anniversay run on the Scorpio though.

There is part of me that still has hope, I know it wont happen, but it would be cool.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, perhaps, he is referring to how halo 4 started a major storyline that was hastily wrapped up for a sequel, but the sequel apparently went in an entirely different direction with little connection to the previous game. Halo 4 and 5's stories certainly feel disconnected from each other, let alone a "big picture" narrative.

Better than I could have said it, thanks mate. The jump from H3 to H4 then through H5 is not a logical series of steps at all. The skips across the story pond from H3-H4-H5 do not line up at all IMO. They're very disparate games apart from intros linking things together basically.

***I do completely agree the overall unification of lore, characters and assets etc has been slipspace jumps in front of Bungie days. Full merit to 343 and the lovely work done there. You've finished clean up now apply that same magic to your own series of games.

Yeah, there's all sorts of solutions. But sometimes too much information can actually harm a playlist from a feedback loop.

I know i was growlsy mcgrowls in the past about playlists but sometimes you also have to step aside, take the playlist fanboy out of yourself (for me, that was Team Control back then) and admit that sometimes, playlists just aren't viable or will always struggle with population.

It's like my objective playlist life just flashed before my eyes.

mo60

I stopped a smurf on the enemy team from getting a perfection in a team arena match.I was the only one on my team that killed him in that match.
HoYC78M.png

Top Bottom