• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Fuchsdh

I stopped a smurf on the enemy team from getting a perfection in a team arena match.I was the only one on my team that killed him in that match.
HoYC78M.png

Could you feel his palpable rage through your internet connection?

Also, in regards to commendations—based on the last week of activity, here's how long we've got left for the various commendations:

Headshot
First Strike
Reversal 42
Buckle Up 43
Assassination 21
Splatter
Ground Vehicle Kills 32
Marine 32
Spartan Charge 19

Everything is a month-ish or less except reversals (which basically mean people just need to be playing more) and buckle ups (which mean people need to play more war zone or BTB.)

The new settings are amazing. Unfortunately this game has the most unresponsive aiming of any halo game (maybe FPS in general). Which kills all enjoyment for me. I think I might be done for good. Super hyped for H6 honestly, which awhile ago I never thought I would say.

XNarte

I stopped a smurf on the enemy team from getting a perfection in a team arena match.I was the only one on my team that killed him in that match.
HoYC78M.png

Question: I noticed this the other night. Do highly advanced players lose all 10 of their placement ranks when a new season starts so they rank as a bronze? Because I played a bronze that was at least an Onyx level player, and then I see this image has several bronze players with high scores.

jem0208

Question: I noticed this the other night. Do highly advanced players lose all 10 of their placement ranks when a new season starts so they rank as a bronze? Because I played a bronze that was at least an Onyx level player, and then I see this image has several bronze players with high scores.

Nope. Placement takes into account your previous rankings and the opponents you face. An Onyx player in a previous season will play against Onyx level opponents in their placement matches.

They're "Smurf" accounts. Since you can share gold with however many accounts on the same xbox, folks just make a new live account to either play with their legit worse skilled friends or just to fuck around and dominate lower ranked people.

Edit: I'd say only the top guy is a real smurf. The others seem normal/within range scorewise.

Haruko

They're "Smurf" accounts. Since you can share gold with however many accounts on the same xbox, folks just make a new live account to either play with their legit worse skilled friends or just to fuck around and dominate lower ranked people.

Edit: I'd say only the top guy is a real smurf. The others seem normal/within range scorewise.

One way to ID possible smurfs who are using new accounts, that some people may not be aware of:

When you create a new Xbox account nowadays, you dont get to initially pick your Gamertag. Instead, you get a pregenerated one, and a credit for 1 free Gamertag change. Using this credit is how you actually pick your tag now.

Many H5 smurfs don't seem to bother with this step, and leave the account with the pregen name. They follow the same format standard: 2 capitalized words, followed by random numbers until the 15-char limit is maxxed.

CleanCobra49615 in that screenshot above is also almost assuredly a pregen gamertag, along with AdvisingHalo945

I'm having newfound connection issues with my Xbox. When I play a multiplayer game there are numerous lag spikes and the console will have periodically lose network connection. This started during the past week, though I haven't turned on the console in the past month. I'm wondering if anyone in the preview program experienced this? It's frustrating as I spent more time restarting my console than playing an actual game.

I'm having newfound connection issues with my Xbox. When I play a multiplayer game there are numerous lag spikes and the console will have periodically lose network connection. This started during the past week, though I haven't turned on the console in the past month. I'm wondering if anyone in the preview program experienced this? It's frustrating as I spent more time restarting my console than playing an actual game.

What message do you get? Cause ive been getting that too, but only with ethernet. Id get an xbox live error saying ive been disconnected from live even though i wasnt.

mo60

When people create smurf accounts they purposely try to do as bad as possible in all of their matches until they complete their ten placements. Since a smurf account is a fresh account your halo 5 stats on another XBL account won't really impact who you match with. You will pretty much match with bronze or low silver tier players in placements as long as your stats are lower then these players in a match(i,e. beating them). Win rate does not matter a huge amount in placements but matters outside of placerment matches in all ranked playlists.That is why sometimes I get matches like the one I posted earlier where one player with a really low SR goes like 23-1 or something similar to that. I rarely get a K/D ratio that high in any ranked playlist.New legit xbl accounts usually don't get a K/D that high when they start playing halo 5.

I'm in the preview program and I do get minor connection issues while looking for matches sometimes in playlists like team arena.

One way to ID possible smurfs who are using new accounts, that some people may not be aware of:

When you create a new Xbox account nowadays, you dont get to initially pick your Gamertag. Instead, you get a pregenerated one, and a credit for 1 free Gamertag change. Using this credit is how you actually pick your tag now.

Many H5 smurfs don't seem to bother with this step, and leave the account with the pregen name. They follow the same format standard: 2 capitalized words, followed by random numbers until the 15-char limit is maxxed.

CleanCobra49615 in that screenshot above is also almost assuredly a pregen gamertag, along with AdvisingHalo945
They could be pregens but not necessarily smurfs, especially considering their performance.

What message do you get? Cause ive been getting that too, but only with ethernet. Id get an xbox live error saying ive been disconnected from live even though i wasnt.

It'll say Xbox service is limited and acts like it's still connected when there's no internet access.

This is an example of the lag spikes I'm having. Both of my roommates were playing HotS at the time and we have a 75 mb/s download speed. So it wasn't the actual internet.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Fata1moose/video/29606868

mo60

I want to try the new HCS settings but since you keep your proving ground rank I don't want to get destroyed by platinum, diamond, oynx or champion players.

I wish they'd put Mercy in there. It's a good map ruined by the worst weapon layout. 3 power weapons in such close proximity to each other and the sniper has no business on that map. Lose the Saw, Gravity hammer, and beam rifle. Place a grenade launcher on closed ramp, an OS at open ramp and we're gravy.

Okay that's silly. They should still be pick-ups on map, even if it's only like two SMGs or two ARs or two Storm Rifles or something.

Eh, it's just in the HCS playlist. I'm okay with seeing how it plays out.

And agreed that Mercy has potential, they just need to tweak the power weapons/powerups.

Okay that's silly. They should still be pick-ups on map, even if it's only like two SMGs or two ARs or two Storm Rifles or something.
Yup. Pretty extreme, autos are almost in a good place. Range needs nerfed and they need to make maps less claustrophobic. No more Empires or Overgrowth, they don't fit into Arena shooter conventions and automatics exploit their poor design.

Woah they removed all autos completely (for the Summer 2017 season). They really listened to the comp community this time. Glad its only for this playlist. Should make the pro league super interesting to watch.

Really? All precision? Wellll then i need to play some asap!!!

(After my daughters hog the 4k tv for a lil)

Trup1aya

The autos are all poorly balanced, except for the Sential Beam, which isn't on any maps.

I'd rather they spent the last 1.5 years fixing autos instead of removing them. But this is better for competitive than leaving them in. Kinda sad that it took them so long to realize that there was an issue.

Having these poorly balanced autos as pickups is worse than starting with ARs, because a guy with a magnum only is screwed off spawn.

I wonder if you'll see the community discussing changes for the Pistol. I do believe it's a step in the right direction from previous games, but I still don't think it's where it needs to be.

I'm glad we're getting changes to the radar and autos though, so maybe this'll increase discussion surrounding the Pistol. Although, people will probably be raising concerns over autos returning before considering changes to the Pistol.

EDIT:
I know pros were complaining about running out of pistol ammo too fast now, at least in the 8s lobbies before the official setting announcements. Someone suggested doing the extended mag pistol with more initial ammo, which I thought was interesting. Though of course I want to see the gunfighter or tact mag used.
I like the 2x zoom on the Tac Mag, but it's a suppressed weapon so you don't show up on radar when shooting. I'd like them to test a 4sk, 2x zoom Pistol with a 12-15 shot mag assuming nothing else would be adjusted (aim assist, RRR, etc.).

belushy

Banned
I know pros were complaining about running out of pistol ammo too fast now, at least in the 8s lobbies before the official setting announcements. Someone suggested doing the extended mag pistol with more initial ammo, which I thought was interesting. Though of course I want to see the gunfighter or tact mag used.

Fuchsdh

The tac mag is just fun to use. Now that I have it in WZ I usually roll with it sometimes even over the H2BR. Wouldn't mind seeing it as a pickup but would be kind of weird for them to have a classic-scoped weapon in comp play.

That's Pro Halo gaming for you. Can't adopt to other weapon types, remove them because pro-gamers dislike variety and have a hate on for CQB weapons (Halo 3 MLG settings are another example).

Have you tried the new settings yet?

Don't talk about adoption when everyone played with autos for 1.5 years. When is it enough?

mo60

Anyway it's nice to hear that 343i got rid of all the autos on the map in the HCS preview playlist. It wouldn't have been fair to just get rid of the AR and leave the more powerful automatics on the map.

mo60

Is anyone here setting up a 12 man team for warlords later today. I actually want to try it for once.I probably will get pummeled by people in companies like dominated for example but I never tried it last time.

Is it weird that I think the sound of the pistol in H5 makes watching and playing less exciting? The sound of BR's raging or a multitude of banging M6D's were more interesting and intense to me. The "pew pew" nature of the pistol just lacks punch. Not saying the new pistol sounds bad, but it doesn't do anything for me.

I also don't care for the new BR sound. It's very flat and some people even mistake it for a single shot instead of burst. Might seem like nit picking, but I think it makes a big difference in the enjoyment of just shooting.

New settings seem pretty good. Watched Lethul's stream and it looks pretty clean.

Is it weird that I think the sound of the pistol in H5 makes watching and playing less exciting? The sound of BR's raging or a multitude of banging M6D's were more interesting and intense to me. The "pew pew" nature of the pistol just lacks punch. Not saying the new pistol sounds bad, but it doesn't do anything for me.

Not alone. The pistol sounds fine but definitely could use some more punch, I mean it fires .50 rounds.

That's Pro Halo gaming for you. Can't adopt to other weapon types, remove them because pro-gamers dislike variety and have a hate on for CQB weapons (Halo 3 MLG settings are another example).

I mean, the shotty, Scattershot, Hydra, Sword, etc. are still in. They just stripped out the automatic weapons.

Honestly, I've been a defender of autos for a while now, but I'm okay with this? If the pro scene desperately feels like they need custom settings, taking out automatic weapons is probably better than just nerfing them in terms of accessibility. Casual players (such as myself) use autos in casual playlists, but if we wanna step up the big leagues we have to stop using our crutch. This way, there's less confusion, and fewer settings changes overall.

belushy

Banned
And 343 still wants autos in. However they need to be balanced and there just isn't enough time to really balance it with the pro league right around the corner

It'll say Xbox service is limited and acts like it's still connected when there's no internet access.

This is an example of the lag spikes I'm having. Both of my roommates were playing HotS at the time and we have a 75 mb/s download speed. So it wasn't the actual internet.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Fata1moose/video/29606868

Hmm, i dunno if its the same issue. I get disconnected and get a live error. Although i have gotten that too. You wired or wireless, xbox one s?

AR/SMG should have some weapon kick that requires you to pull down the recoil pattern, thus making it harder to use.

The storm rifle/plasma rifle should strip shields quickly, but switching to a pistol for the final headshot should be a faster kill than holding down the plasma shots.

Edit: Could make their rate of fire slow down as it heats up as well reducing their effective range on moving targets.

Just an idea to balance them.

AR/SMG should have some weapon kick that requires you to pull down the recoil pattern, thus making it harder to use.

The storm rifle/plasma rifle should strip shields quickly, but switching to a pistol for the final headshot should be a faster kill than holding down the plasma shots.

Just an idea to balance them.
The range on the plasma rifle is crazy. Range on all autos needs to be cut down.

Top Bottom