• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

jem0208

For the plasma/storm rifle they should slow down the bolts and decrease the bullet mag.

That would make it far harder to hit shots without making it useless.

Masterz1337

Neo Member
The range on the plasma rifle is crazy. Range on all autos needs to be cut down.

If only there was a new feature that was added in this game which extended their range and wasn't in any halo before.....

If ADS is going to be a thing in halo and basically give guns a second firing mode, they need to do something with it to reduce it's effectiveness. Give it more kick, lower the ROF, basically anything. Because right now if you see anyone and can ADS with an auto you can land way to much damage. Lowering the player speed and FOV doesn't do anything to put them at a disadvantage when they are pumping a clip into someone unaware they are there.

Stop trying to bodge the autos into a pseudo-utility-weapon role, do a Halo 1 and just let the AR be a chainsaw.
The CE AR with 60 bullets is amazing. It emptied a clip just as fast as the later 32-shot AR's, sounds more powerful, shreds health, and has interesting perks that make it useful, like insant Camo.

And speaking of that audio design, as Fahz mentioned recently the H5 Pistol just doesn't feel strong partly due to how it sounds. Compare it to the CE Pistol; the M6D sounds like you're fucking shit up, and the explosive shots provide great visual feedback for hit registration:

91f6fb090bd7f94d97de27aa691d04a3.png

belushy

Banned
If they need anything weapon related feature wise going forward, they should finally give us individual weapon modifier settings.

Akai__

If they need anything weapon related feature wise going forward, they should finally give us individual weapon modifier settings.

Something that was patched in towards the end of Halo 4's support and yet was never used. Never been available to the public, too. It's about time that we get something like that, though.

Stop trying to bodge the autos into a pseudo-utility-weapon role, do a Halo 1 and just let the AR be a chainsaw.

I agree, but I'm not sure they would do it. A plasma rifle that slows enemies down CE style would be awesome. A CE style AR would be great...However with H5's increased movement speed I'm not sure it would compliment it in the same way?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The storm rifle/plasma rifle should strip shields quickly, but switching to a pistol for the final headshot should be a faster kill than holding down the plasma shots.

Just an idea to balance them.

Probably late, but that sounds like the brute plasma, and its OP as fuck

daedalius

The CE AR with 60 bullets is amazing. It emptied a clip just as fast as the later 32-shot AR's, sounds more powerful, shreds health, and has interesting perks that make it useful, like insant Camo.

And speaking of that audio design, as Fahz mentioned recently the H5 Pistol just doesn't feel strong partly due to how it sounds. Compare it to the CE Pistol; the M6D sounds like you're fucking shit up, and the explosive shots provide great visual feedback for hit registration:

91f6fb090bd7f94d97de27aa691d04a3.png

M6D sounds leagues better than h5 pistol

HTupolev

What's especially great with the CE M6D audio is that it has a sort of rolling cadence that flows perfectly with its actual rate of fire and shooting animation. That gun is musical.

What's especially great with the CE M6D audio is that it has a sort of rolling cadence that flows perfectly with its actual rate of fire and shooting animation. That gun is musical.

Not to mention its view model position is nicely centered and has a sexy draw animation. Also the way the gun's recoil bounces in the hands is great visual feedback of power.

GIF's are at .5 speed:
giphy.gif

IS GREATER THAN:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Probably late, but that sounds like the brute plasma, and its OP as fuck

No I'm aware of the brute PR. I'm suggesting that it strips shields well, but it takes longer to finish a kill with continued use. You would have to switch to the pistol to kill faster, but that would give the enemy a window to finish you off. The Halo 2 PR was kinda similar.

The current PR just kills too fast regardless.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Played in a 1v1 tournament at my local MS store today. It was pretty fun, got my ass whipped though winning one series in the losers bracket.

Met some cool guys. One was a forger who made the Block Pit map.

belushy

Banned
Looks like pro teams will only play each other once during the Pro League season this time around. I don't hate that idea, since every team will go to the Dreamhack opens anyway, guess there just wasn't enough time between Daytona and Dreamhack events to double up.

Trup1aya

Looks like pro teams will only play each other once during the Pro League season this time around. I don't hate that idea, since every team will go to the Dreamhack opens anyway, guess there just wasn't enough time between Daytona and Dreamhack events to double up.
Yeah it was definately the tight dreamhack schedule.

The only downside is you don't get to see how teams stack up against each other after roster lock.

I'm not too bothered by it, because H5 online can be a chore to watch, viewership always took a dip in the second half of a season. Better, more meaningful LANs is a good tradeoff.

Akai__

There's nothing like having a griefer in your 2nd match of the day... Suiciding, trying to Spartan Charge teammates and feeding the enemy team kills. I don't get people...

But I also had some really good matches yesterday. Randomly met an other person that did callouts and we partied up with an other player that didn't have a mic, but listened to our callouts. This HCS Preview Playlist is pretty good. Getting closer to what Halo should be.

Sometimes I think of that Halo SP we never got, of MC just going out on his own being a lone wolf.

It's sad that the Halo on Xbox One Trailer and all of that H5 concept art never turned out to be Halo 5. Even not after the whole Hunt The Truth campaign.

It's sad that the Halo on Xbox One Trailer and all of that H5 concept art never turned out to be Halo 5. Even not after the whole Hunt The Truth campaign.

Has Frankie @Stinkles ever shed light on this? How are we supposed to trust any trailer or marketing for their new games?

It seems far beyond a development problem because this stuff was still released despite the fact that internally the story was very different.

I feel like I'd be a happier consumer if I just ignored them and any other content for the series and learned nothing prior to a release... Which is a shame.

Akai__

Has Frankie @Stinkles ever shed light on this? How are we supposed to trust any trailer or marketing for their new games?

It seems far beyond a development problem because this stuff was still released despite the fact that internally the story was very different.

I feel like I'd be a happier consumer if I just ignored them and any other content for the series and learned nothing prior to a release... Which is a shame.

Not much is know about H5's development other than stuff like Team Osiris being Team Majestic/Crimson (always forget which one, because I couldn't care less) and other tiny things like Double Jump/Vault prototypes and Sprint pretty much only being in, because Warzone.

Trup1aya

Its seems pretty obvious to me that it was a development problem.

The marketing was developed based on how the game was intended to play out. Something happened internally that prevented them from delivering he narrative that they had envisioned, but it was too late too far along to scrap the marketing campaign.

They kept just enough in the game to be able to argue that there was a hunt and MC did disobey orders, though the remaining connections were very shallow.

I believe that the ntkrnl leaks about h5 were acurrate at one time, and Halo 5 was supposed to be a mass effect-esque cloud computing showcase. When that fell apart so did everything else

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Its seems pretty obvious to me that it was a development problem.

The marketing was developed based on how the game was intended to play out. Something happened internally that prevented them from delivering he narrative that they had envisioned, but it was too late too far along to scrap the marketing campaign.

They kept just enough in the game to be able to argue that there was a hunt and MC did disobey orders, though the remaining connections were very shallow.

I believe that the ntkrnl leaks about h5 were acurrate at one time, and Halo 5 was supposed to be a mass effect-esque cloud computing showcase. When that fell apart so did everything else

Um no. Nothing wrong with this line of thought, but:

Concept art often morphs into something different in game, or is part of a level that gets altered or even dropped. The game story was "finished" when the campaign was bewing built. The marketing campaign was supposed to be a tease that focused on a subplot so that the main story wasn't "ruined" but plainly lots of players felt that was bait and switch. Not the intent at all, and there are also lots of folks who enjoyed the #huntthetruth and other aspects, but I make no bones about folks who were disappointed in either that not being the bulk of the plot, or in some cases, too much attention focused on Locke and non-Chief characters. All in all, mixed. A lot of the campaign was well receioved and a lot hit a bum note for different sets of fans.

The ntkrnl cloud computing showcase thing (as described here, not sure if I read the original - sometimes during dev I read leaks, fake, guessed or even close, but I don't remember him/her writing anything close about H5) was simply not true. the game does in fact use cloud computing and other azure stuff, but was absolutely not designed as a showcase for that (other games by other developers are coming that will do stuff like that, as you are aware) and not as a tech testbed.

Concept art often morphs into something different in game, or is part of a level that gets altered or even dropped. The game story was "finished" when the campaign was bewing built. The marketing campaign was supposed to be a tease that focused on a subplot so that the main story wasn't "ruined" but plainly lots of players felt that was bait and switch. Not the intent at all, and there are also lots of folks who enjoyed the #huntthetruth and other aspects, but I make no bones about folks who were disappointed in either that not being the bulk of the plot, or in some cases, too much attention focused on Locke and non-Chief characters. All in all, mixed. A lot of the campaign was well receioved and a lot hit a bum note for different sets of fans.

Understood, but the problem comes when the "subplot" has far-and-away better story telling, writing, and voice acting than the main game. Most of H5's dialogue is just clumsy expository stuff during team radio chatter that would be far more effective if developed fully/gradually in any way. Instead we get some info dump in the final level about Locke's team from Cortana that's supposed to make us sympathize more somehow?

Keep in mind I've actually read all the books and was aware of what backstory the team *did* have and it still came off as quite amateurish.

Akai__

I truly enjoyed the Hunt The Truth audio series. It was a nice thing, which could have easily existed without the whole other marketing about Hunt The Truth. Instead, you guys really doubled down on it and made everyone believe that this will be the story focus. After release that didn't work out at all and even the Xbox channel deleted those 2 Live Action trailers, where Chief talks down to a badly injured Locke and vice versa, probably because of the backlash.

You say that was not the intention, but how could anyone guess that this wasn't the intention, when all the marketing was about the traitor thing? It's hard to believe that H5's campaign was not about something else, at least for me.

Trup1aya

The ntkrnl cloud computing showcase thing (as described here, not sure if I read the original - sometimes during dev I read leaks, fake, guessed or even close, but I don't remember him/her writing anything close about H5) was simply not true. the game does in fact use cloud computing and other azure stuff, but was absolutely not designed as a showcase for that (other games by other developers are coming that will do stuff like that, as you are aware) and not as a tech testbed.

Cool clarification.

It's kinda weird, then, that that marketing chose to build around the 'MC might be a traitor' subplot, because that wasnt actually a subplot in the game.

No one in the game actually ever appeared to have any inklings that MC was responsible for anything heinous, and the player knew the truth all along.

Also, the undercooked Artemis element makes it seem like much more of a 'hunt' was planned.

PS, I loved HTT. I'm also a big fan of the kilo-5 trilogy (apparently I'm one of a few), and that marketing campaign hit me in the same feels. That sorta post-war , interspecies , galactic power struggle made for a very exciting universe.

Edit: I'll humbly concede that the rumor I was remembering wasn't ntkrnl's but it was one that you essentially suggested was BS. Got my wires crossed.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=67995921&postcount=256

Still, that guy was close about the lazer focused Arena AND Warzone lucky guesses I suppose.

PS, other games? Plural, as in- more than just Crackdown? Oh boy!!

FyreWulff

i always saw it as ONI was/is the true Big Bad of the Haloverse, and since Chief was starting to be more independent in 3 onwards, they wanted him to be brought back in to help cover up any of their shit he might stumble upon. So they've been trying to paint him as a bad guy, and convinced their factory made S4s that he might be up to something, which they need to do because they need about 20 S4s to go after an S2

ODST probably dwelled on this the most out of any of the games, but the books and games for ~3 onwards have been building up ONI as the League of Space Assholes, which they 100% are.
hopefully they eventually get what's coming to them

i always saw it as ONI was/is the true Big Bad of the Haloverse, and since Chief was starting to be more independent in 3 onwards, they wanted him to be brought back in to help cover up any of their shit he might stumble upon. So they've been trying to paint him as a bad guy, and convinced their factory made S4s that he might be up to something, which they need to do because they need about 20 S4s to go after an S2

ODST probably dwelled on this the most out of any of the games, but the books and games for ~3 onwards have been building up ONI as the League of Space Assholes, which they 100% are.

I gotta imagine that Cortana is gonna mess them up something fierce. Just hope we're there to watch it go down.

Trup1aya

I know, I was so ready for ONI to be THE bad guy. I liked Kilo-5 because it showed that M'dama position was "justified".

Cranster

Banned
My whole take on Halo 5's marketing is, meh. It's no more bait and switch than Halo 2's, Halo 3's or ODST's marketing campaigns. I understand why some people were disapointed and I would be the first to admit that Halo 5's story could have been improved more. But it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. This is coming from a guy who has suffered through the bait and switch of Halo 2's Earth City demo and cliffhanger ending, Halo 3's disappointing campaign/story, Halo Reach retconning too much, Mass Effect 3's shit ending and Halo 4's extremely short and expanded fiction required campaign.

My whole take on Halo 5's marketing is, meh. It's no more bait and switch than Halo 2's, Halo 3's or ODST's marketing campaigns.
Agreed, while I wish the story in Halo 5 was more like Hunt the Truth, I never felt it was bait and switch. Halo 5's story/campaign is just bad.

I really hope they take a step back and re-evaluate what they're doing. It worries me they think the majority didn't like the campaign because the story was too complicated. While I wouldn't mind them focusing on gameplay over story like the latest Doom, the story wasn't the only problem.

Here's where I think they went wrong:
  • Introducing way too many new characters at once and then making them main characters.
  • While the areas may be bigger to accommodate co-op they still felt rather linear compared to game's past.
  • The vehicle sections sucked, on Meridian going down the mountain required no thought or tactful driving. It also felt very inorganic. Instead of having a sandbox where you have vehicles that you can use or not use, there were very clearly defined vehicle sections. Sometimes these are okay if they're grandiose warthog runs, but that was never the case here.
  • The Aliens space marine aesthetic has been lost for some quasi-Avengers super heroes bullshit. Halo's tone isn't something I realized I missed until Halo Wars 2, which is much better at feeling like Halo.
  • Speaking of things that don't feel like Halo, Prometheans stick out like a sore thumb. I actually enjoy the combat puzzle of Knights in Halo 5, but I think it's better to cut loose Prometheans. Instead, lean on the Banished, or introduce actual Forerunners that look more Halo.
  • They should have left Cortana dead. In Halo 4 I liked the idea of Chief and Cortana being stranded on a derelict Forerunner planet with no UNSC help. Instead the Infinity shows up quickly and Requiem wasn't very mysterious or interesting. In 5, the concept of Chief without Cortana was intriguing, how would he cope by himself? We don't get to see that as she's immediately brought back into the fold and her character is simultaneously assassinated.
  • 5 lost its dynamic feel. Even if there was no real dynamic simulation in past Halo's they at least did a better job of feeling more alive. AI was better, Elites would dodge more, charge you, etc... 3 way battles were always fun and made it feel as if something was happening for a reason other than the player triggering a script. Flood v Covenant v UNSC is surely missed. Then you compare the Scarab to the Liche or Kraken. In which the Scarab moves around while you fight it, which happened in 2007. Then for later games they regressed and you have a stationary pushover that might as well be a immobile Covenant base, because it's certainly not taking advantage of its characteristics. Again, this made the game feel less alive.

Hopefully 343 takes a lesson from Doom, it took its classic formula and innovated upon that. With 4 and 5, they threw out the solid foundations of levels like Assault on the Control Room or The Covenant. They need to get back to crafting levels like that and build upon it. They need to realize the Halo aesthetic in their FPS for the first time as they failed in 4 and 5.

What a silly play to chase with OS.

Edit: I'm going to spend the rest of my days in platinum for HCS apparently. :'(

Not the most aggressive starting strats I've seen, pretty fucking casual actually... love the team mate who turns to look at you :)

Sick ninja though, better be thrust and motion tracker in H6. /runs away

I totally understand all that, but for me, i just think back to the days of Halo2 and how most people hated not playing as chief in a lot of parts of a main Halo game. I just dont get it. It happened once before, the evidence was there for everyone to see. How can something like this happen again when there was clear evidence that most people didnt like it the first time.

It just doesnt make sense to me.

Top Bottom