• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

I already bought the 49" version and was surprise to see a thread about it here. I guess I'm set to go. Ps4 pro pre prdered already + this TV.

What is HDR10? Goddamn, I feel so confused about 4K resolution stuff. I thought there was only HDR? Or is HDR10 just an extended name for HDR?

...I'm still not even sure I understand what HDR is. I need to read more about this, was thinking of getting a 4K TV this holiday.

HDR10 is simply referring to High Dynamic Color Range at 10 bit color depth. Dolby Vision, is high dynamic color range at 12 bit color depth.

HDR is winning out. With most TV manufacturers supporting HDR and the Xbox One S and PS4 Pro supporting HDR.

More info here:

HDR10
Why didn't Samsung choose to add support for Dolby Vision to its new UBD-K8500 disc player? It's simple really: Samsung is one of the leading supporters of the other HDR format, HDR10.

As HDR moved closer to becoming a viable TV technology, TV manufacturers like Samsung, Sony, and (originally) LG wanted a more open platform than Dolby offered. They probably didn't want to pay Dolby licensing fees, nor did they want to submit to a certification process that takes away some of their control over their own products. So, they began developing their own approaches to HDR video, which eventually evolved into one officially defined profile, labeled by the Consumer Technology Association in August 2015 as the HDR10 media profile.

HDR10 is built around the SMPTE ST 2084 electro-optical transfer function (again, it's the same as Dolby's PQ), and HDR10 content can have similar specs as Dolby Vision content in terms of brightness and color, although the HDR10 profile only lists 10-bit color versus Dolby's 12-bit color. [Editor's note: The original version of the story said that the mastering target for HDR10 is 1,000 nits, but we were informed by a respected source that Dolby Vision and HDR10 are essentially mastered in the same way in terms of nits. It's really dictated by the capabilities of the mastering monitor. Some of the first HDR10 titles were mastered at 4,000 nits, while others were around 1,000 to 1,200 nits.]

The major difference is in how the content is handled at the display end. The HDR10 approach doesn't dynamically map content based on the specific brightness and color output capabilities of a certain TV the way Dolby Vision can, and there isn't a set algorithm to ensure that the color is remapped the same way on every HDR10 display. So, in general, HDR10 is less precise. How that plays out in the real world depends on the specific capabilities/limitations of your TV.

The HDR10 profile has indeed become the format of choice on the vast majority of new HDR-capable TVs. Basically, if the HDR TV doesn't specifically mention Dolby Vision, then it most likely uses HDR10. HDR10 is also the mandated format in the Ultra HD Blu-ray spec, which means every UHD BD player must support playback of HDR10 content.

Sony UHD televisions, and the one in my original post. Support HDR (at 10 bit color depth) not Dolby Vision.

WarpathDC

My current TV, while 4 yrs old is a 60" 3D 1080p panel. I can forego the 3D if needed, although I have a solid 3D bd catalog but I can't go lower than 60 inches. It would a) bother the shit out of me to have a noticebly smaller TV, 2) my couches are pretty far (8 feet) from the display. I'll probably go 65" either this yr during a holiday sale for 4k or a 60". I know it will probably set me back 1k though and that's a hard pill to swallow. I have a 4k monitor and while xbone s is tempting to replace my vcr model xbone, don't want to hook it up to that. I'll probably wait closer to scorpio's release. Passing on PS pro will save me 400, as will having the willpower to keep my 970s vs selling them and getting a 1080 for now. With play anywhere titles from MS, I may just get a GPU at the end of next yr instead of a scorpio. I have good vision and it's hard to tell most titles from 1440p vs 2160p with my 28" display. The larger the display, the more noticeable the pixel density will likely be for me.

TDLR: I don't need a 4k TV right now, but seriously want a 60+ inch when the price is right and my marriage can stay intact after I bring it home lol

sfedai0

Banned
Hmmm, low input is great but I need my set for movies too, and its FALD or nothing. Edge lit LED is just not good enough.

longdi

Banned
Wow this seems like the best you can buy for PC usage atm

VA panel
10bit WCG
HDR10
4K60 4:4:4
43" not too big
4K 33ms input lag which is ok for mouse gaming

putting it in my upgrade list.
Does Samsung or Panasonic offers a similar class model?

Wow this seems like the best you can buy for PC usage atm

VA panel
10bit WCG
HDR10
4K60 4:4:4
43" not too big
4K 33ms input lag which is ok for mouse gaming

putting it in my upgrade list.
Does Samsung or Panasonic offers a similar class model?

I think this Samsung TV is in the same class.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EBG6CTG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2ZU6DPWIGTIE3&coliid=IGRQ5CKH52P5V&psc=1
I had my eye on it but ended up getting the Sony xbr

longdi

Banned
btw what is the equivalent model no. for Euro?
I hate how AV companies name their models differently in each part of the world, so confusing

I think this Samsung TV is in the same class.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EBG6CTG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2ZU6DPWIGTIE3&coliid=IGRQ5CKH52P5V&psc=1
I had my eye on it but ended up getting the Sony xbr

Not quite as good in several areas that are important.

Sony is certainly better here IMO.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku7000

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d

8 bit vs 10 bit alone would be a determining factor for me.

I was literally in Best Buy today, about to buy this exact damn TV. The box didn't say HDR anywhere on it, so I asked the sales person if it was HDR and he told me no. So I didn't buy it.

what the heck best buy

I was literally in Best Buy today, about to buy this exact damn TV. The box didn't say HDR anywhere on it, so I asked the sales person if it was HDR and he told me no. So I didn't buy it.

what the heck best buy

Were you looking at the 700 series? I don't think those are HDR. Obviously, as indicated by the reviews and other such sources, the 800 series is HDR.

BHK3

Banned
My receiver that I bought last year said it was 4K compliant, but I see this HDCP 2.2 thing now with 4k tvs. Does that mean the receiver I bought last year is already garbage? I won't be able to see anything 4k through the xbox one s or ps4 pro?

Did Sony sort out their issues with Android being really buggy? I purchased one of their 4K TVs last year, and it was so bad I returned it. Freezes, and reboots on a regular bases, and a ton of missing features, such as hdd recording.
Yes. I bought the 2015 850C. Pre-firmware update it was buggy as hell... Post update it's solid.

Well this morning I thought 4K is too expensive.

This evening it is super cheap? Well.... I'll probably buy this actually. Great price for HDR10.

what the heck best buy

Lol. Half the time the sales associates won't know. Many of them are not enthusiasts. They are mostly just young guys and gals that work there.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
It's another TV with trade offs again.

X800D
-Average contrast for VA
-Color is eh
-/+Input lag is just acceptable
+Very Good pixel response on blur
+PC friendly (4:4:4 or 10bit)

KS8000
-Panel lottery for no bleed hopefully.
-Slightly above average pixel response on blur
-$300 more more 3" (min size)
+Awesome contrast
+Awesome colors
+Input lag is good

VizioP
-Average pixel response on blur
-$300 more for 3" (min size)
-No 4:4:4
+Awesome contrast
+Good colors
+PC 10bit
+Input lag is supurb

what the heck best buy
Were you looking at the 800C?

Last year's sets only have HDR at 850 and up.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

what the heck best buy
That was probably the 700 series or last year's 800.

Were you looking at the 700 series? I don't think those are HDR. Obviously, as indicated by the reviews and other such sources, the 800 series is HDR.

Now that you mention that, I think the sales person confused it for a 700 series. He told me the 700 series wasn't HDR, but I was definitely looking at this model. I had the model number written down and everything.

I think I'm gonna go back and buy it tomorrow.

It's another TV with trade offs again.

X800D
-Average contrast for VA
-Color is eh
-/+Input lag is just acceptable
+Very Good pixel response on blur

KS8000
-Panel lottery for no bleed hopefully.
-Slightly above average pixel response on blur
-$300 more more 3" (min size)
+Awesome contrast
+Awesome colors
+Input lag is good

VizioP
-Average pixel response on blur
-$300 more for 3" (min size)
-No 4:4:4
+Awesome contrast
+Good colors
+PC 10bit
+Input lag is supurb

Thanks for summary.

PC friendly makes it more a buy for me. I hook up my laptop to TV quite often.

Now that you mention that, I think the sales person confused it for a 700 series. He told me the 700 series wasn't HDR, but I was definitely looking at this model. I had the model number written down and everything.

I think I'm gonna go back and buy it tomorrow.

Yeah at first I was thinking about getting last year's model since it was 100 dollars cheaper, but then I realized it didn't list HDR as one of its feautres.

Zaki2407

Hehe.. seeing new threads about "what is the best TVs for next gen etc" somehow bring nostalgic feeling to me. I remember the day I used to play console games using 14" CRT TV back in the 90s. Now? even a 40" HDTV is not enough ^_^

Furthermore, here is a listing of TV's that have 10 bit color and 8 bit color in regards to HDR. You want 10 bit. Avoid 8 bit. The TV linked in the OP is 10 bit color. (Sony X800D)
But see the entire list for yourself here:

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/gradient

Thanks, very helpful.
Hehe.. seeing new threads about "what is the best TVs for next gen etc" somehow bring nostalgic feeling to me. I remember the day I used to play console games using 14" CRT TV back in the 90s. Now? even a 40" HDTV is not enough ^_^

I played PS2 on a 12 inch CRT in college.

Remember playing around with the blur settings to make the aliasing least apparent.

It was fucking brilliant. I still have that TV, and surprisingly haven't lost the remote either.

SDMG

P sure that's not HDR, it doesn't list it on the page. Plus 43' screens are only 50 bucks cheaper, there's no way that's an HDR compatible set.

features Ultra Luminance technology" which is LG term for HDR. Also the page before that has the HDR logo on it.

Thanks, very helpful.

I played PS2 on a 12 inch CRT in college.

Remember playing around with the blur settings to make the aliasing least apparent.

It was fucking brilliant. I still have that TV, and surprisingly haven't lost the remote either.

On Road trips (every weekend for soccer) when I was a teenager we used to have a 12" CRT we'd play movies in games on in the back. RIP eyes.

Cyriades

I read it(LG 55" UH6150) has a 8 bit panel with no Wide Color Gamut

The UH6150, on the other hand, offers a subpar HDR due to the lack of either Color Prime Pro, Ultra Luminance, or local dimming. In other words, the UH6150 can detect and display HDR content but without the ability to achieve the needed wide color gamut and higher peak brightness, the HDR content would appear more like a SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) than HDR.

http://tvevaluate.com/lg-uh6150-vs-...50-60uh6150-vs-60uh6550-55uh6150-vs-55uh6550/

Get the LG 55" UH6550 instead.

The UH6550 fares significantly better in that regard than the UH6150 thanks to the inclusion of both local dimming and Ultra Luminance. Local dimming, as the name suggests, dims the LEDs for the darker areas of the image whereas the Ultra Luminance boosts the peak brightness. When used together, they can deliver deeper blacks and brighter highlights at the same time (and within the same frame) thus widening the brightness range. The UH6550 is also equipped with Color Prime Pro technology for expanding the range of colors that can be displayed on the screen. The wider range of both contrast and color the UH6550 is capable of ensures you can watch HDR movies the way they’re meant to be seen.

OmegaDL50

KS8000 seems is likely to be my next TV purchase.

I've been using a 32 Inch Toshiba Regza 32RV530U for the past 8 years or so for both my console gaming and as a PC monitor. The thing has low input lag, and has 4:4:4 Chroma support so it works well for text display. 4 HDMI out, etc.

The only reason why I kept this old TV around for so long is because I live in an appartment and have limited space to work with. A larger TV would not fit with my current furniture, but I may just have to do some rearranging to accommodate for a new TV upgrade.

The KS8000 seems to fill all the checkboxes I need, good input lag, 4K and HDR support with WCG and suitable for both PC and Console Gaming usage, and at least 10 inches larger than my current 32 Inch set.

Reallink

LG 6150 uses a WRGB panel that substitutes a white subpixel for either the R, G, or B in each trio. With colored material, this represents a 25-33% resolution loss on average so you might say they're more like 3K rather than 4K. It's "legal" to sell them as 4K because the standards resolution patterns are black and white (which it passes), not color. There is a very real and noticeable loss of detail.

LG 6150 uses a WRGB panels that substitutes a white subpixel for either the R, G, or B in each trio. With colored material, this represents a 25-33% resolution loss on average so you might say they're more like 3K rather than 4K. It's "legal" to sell them as 4K because the standards resolution patterns are black and white (which it passes), not color. There is a very real and noticeable loss of detail.

It blows my mind they can have such great OLED sets, yet they could give two shits less about their LCD sets. Might as well just go full time on OLED and lower the price via economy of scale. Nobody bought an LG TV from me outside of OLED when I was at Best Buy, I can't remember a time where someone was like wow I want that LG LCD.

Tv industry is such a mess, this is one place i support apple to come in and reinvent the TV

I for one don't really care for $2-3000 TV's from apple that just use Phillips or one of the other panel manufacturers anyway. They'll just tack of a premium that's not worth it.

Deadstar

It varies a lot, but some of the best Sony 1080p TV's had input lag around 15ms.

Cool thanks. I have a samsung tv from maybe 5+ years ago and I couldn't find the input lag of this specific model so I was wondering. I'm trying to figure out the input lag I might have so I can decide on the tv. I wonder if it's even noticeable under a certain amount of milliseconds.

Top Bottom