• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate Just Got Pro Support

I think I am going to bite on this now then. It seems some people think Unity is better but this game definitely appeals to me.

I don't know anyone who thinks this. Syndicate imo is the best one since AC2 era.
I don't really count AC black flag as a true AC game.

ISee

I don't know anyone who thinks this. Syndicate imo is the best one since AC2 era.
I don't really count AC black flag as a true AC game.

But the ship combat was awesome and gave the game something new and fresh. Unity felt like a step back because of this.

arhra

That looks like an LOD transition being cross-dithered in. Not a checkerboarding error.

A dithered LOD transition would only have one set of dithered pixels, but here you can clearly see 2 additional frames of ghosting from the dress (and faint hints of a third, discernable mostly through some additional noise that isn't present if you look far enough away from the dress):

tnaagnq.png

I think I am going to bite on this now then. It seems some people think Unity is better but this game definitely appeals to me.

Lackluster Pro support aside, I'll echo what others are saying in that Syndicate is the best AC since the Ezio games.

Unity is a gorgeous game (artistically anyway - it's extremely soft on PS4) but it feels bloated and plodding.

Wish they had put more into this patch. I've been holding out on the DLC for a while, and would have loved to come back to a sharper, snappier game.

EmiPrime

Please don't. The game/patch is a freaking mess.

Why would anyone give these guys any money.

I enjoy the videogames they make and they're usually dirt cheap because they print too many copies, that's why.

Looks like this was a perfect candidate for a 1080p native redo with a locked 30fps for the Pro but they half-arsed it. Pity.

Here's a couple of shots from my Pro. These shots are 4K, but I'm using a 1080p screen. Something is definitely wrong - the aliasing was much cleaner on the standard version. It's not too bad running on the actual screen - way better than World of Final Fantasy as it's just the aliasing that's screwed in Syndicate.

Checkerboarding from 900p or something? There seems to be something wrong with Sony's libraries or one of these methods. Watchdogs 2 is lovely and clean for example - so it's an implementation thing.

Evie's hanging hair looks particularly bad here :

Is the Animus effect messed up here? I don't remember it looking this bad before :

Not all the shots I took look all that bad. Seems variable. Here :

A dithered LOD transition would only have one set of dithered pixels, but here you can clearly see 2 additional frames of ghosting from the dress (and faint hints of a third, discernable mostly through some additional noise that isn't present if you look far enough away from the dress):

tnaagnq.png

Maybe LOD transitions also ghost with the game's TAA?

onQ123

Here's a couple of shots from my Pro. These shots are 4K, but I'm using a 1080p screen. Something is definitely wrong - the aliasing was much cleaner on the standard version. It's not too bad running on the actual screen - way better than World of Final Fantasy as it's just the aliasing that's screwed in Syndicate.

Checkerboarding from 900p or something? There seems to be something wrong with Sony's libraries or one of these methods. Watchdogs 2 is lovely and clean for example - so it's an implementation thing.

Evie's hanging hair looks particularly bad here :

Is the Animus effect messed up here? I don't remember it looking this bad before :

Not all the shots I took look all that bad. Seems variable. Here :

No this is not checkerboard rendering. checkerboard rendering is not a up-scaling method.

Planet

I just picked that up yesterday by chance from a local library. Reading about this patch at first I though "what good timing!", then it quickly turned into "what bad timing!"...

Blizzje

Ubisoft are usually pretty good at addressing issues like this out so hopefully it'll get addressed soon.

They are usually pretty good?
The carriage stutter bug has not been fixed since the beginning of 2016, even though it has been brought up plently of times. Try playing the Jack the Ripper DLC and driving a carriage and boosting.

platina

What a surprise huh. Not even a resolution bump is easy apparently.

Hopefully cerny said it was no time. Must be true.

Oh you. I swear you have some crazy vendetta out for Sony because of the pro. This game not being even native 1080p strikes me as lazy when you have battlefield running native 1080p, better textures and a noticeable better framerate on the pro. Curious as to what happened here.

FHIZ

This simply can't be working as intended, haha. It's like someone interpreted upscaling as just going into photoshop and enlarging the image by 2x.

d9b

Banned
Oh you. I swear you have some crazy vendetta out for Sony because of the pro. This game not being even native 1080p strikes me as lazy when you have battlefield running native 1080p, better textures and a noticeable better framerate on the pro. Curious as to what happened here.
Ubisoft happened.

Planet

I kinda was implying the the 900p was used as the base of the checkerboard and then up-scaled from there to 4K from the checkerboarding res.
You don't take an image then "checkerboard" it to a higher resolution. It works different.

With checkerboarding, you target a higher res than you can actually manage, then only render half of the pixels (in a checkerboard pattern), leave the other half blank for now. After you are done, the algorithm takes information from previous frames and the neighboring pixels of the current one and fills in the gaps. It is a deliberate decission and not a post effect.

Checkerboard rendering would have changed the rendering resolution this seems to be still a 900p game.
Yep, I see now. It just looks 900p.
You don't take an image then "checkerboard" it to a higher resolution. It works different.

With checkerboarding, you target a higher res than you can actually manage, then only render half of the pixels (in a checkerboard pattern), leave the other half blank for now. After you are done, the algorithm takes information from previous frames and the neighboring pixels of the current one and fills in the gaps. It is a deliberate decission and not a post effect.
I'm 90% sure of what checkerboarding is - though I'm happy to be corrected. I know how the algorithm works. I was conjecturing on the amount of pixels fed into the algorithm would 'add up' to 900p if rendered normally. I think that looking at it again and other comments that image would be different if it was doing that - so I was wrong about that.

What do you guys think is happening here and with World of Final Fantasy then?

Chabbles

The Anisotropic filtering was so bad in this on PS4 i had to trade it in, 2 or 3 meters on front of the player every texture (on ground atleast) turned into a smudgy blur.

TheWarlord

Neo Member
Some guy I know that works at Ubisoft swears that the new version renders at 1080p on both PS4 and PS4 Pro, but the images shown here are clearly 900p. Does anyone else have the game installed without patch to take some screens and then post the same screens after the patch to provide more evidence of 900p or 1080p?

Fliesen

Are you two claiming Checkerboard rendering isn't upscaling? What's your reasoning here?

what's yours?

are you going by the factually wrong idea that it scales from XXXXp to YYYYp (with YYYY > XXXX)

or are you just arguing semantics "well it does create additional pixel information each frame, so it's technically a scaling method"?

if it's the latter ... let's just not go there ;)

would rather have a performance boost for Unity @1080p imo. That depiction of Paris was truly beautiful, let down only by its performance. (its following patches helped though)

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
would rather have a performance boost for Unity @1080p imo. That depiction of Paris was truly beautiful, let down only by its performance. (its following patches helped though)

I'd pick up both if they got proper patches. Both can look beautiful but are badly held back being low res. It's a shame this wasn't proper higher resolution support

Top Bottom