• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iDOLM@STER Community |OT| Are you LADY?

Stuart444

I'll dump my opinion now that I've played for a few hours.

Pretty much all the depth is gone, the dice minigame sucks (cosmetics is ok, if they had replaced the PR minigame with that would have been great), I don't understand a bunch of how the new scoring mechanics work. Writing seems fine.

The new rhythm gameplay is nice, though the strategy is gone from that as well, unfortunately. I think it's a little too easy on pro (but I'm a 10th Dan IIDX player so I think most games are easy), I've heard you need to finish a characters story to unlock master so no comment on that right now.

For all my negativity, I'm really enjoying it. We've gone from the very high stress IMAS 2 to the more forgiving OFA to PS, which is virtually a zero stress game. It was a great way to unwind after a shitty day at work today, because sometimes you just want to relax with a game.

IM@S2 felt less stressful imo. Easier than the rhythm gameplay in Platinum Stars imo. (I probably won't be putting it onto pro ever. Probably... >.>)

I'm still enjoying it but unlike IM@S2, I probably wouldn't play this while tired :p

we're in agreement on the dice mini-game though, it really sucks.

Sakura

Imas 2 is easily my favourite title in the series, couldn't stand OFA, so hopefully this is more like Imas 2 for me.

Yuuichi

IM@S2 felt less stressful imo. Easier than the rhythm gameplay in Platinum Stars imo. (I probably won't be putting it onto pro ever. Probably... >.>)

I'm still enjoying it but unlike IM@S2, I probably wouldn't play this while tired :p

we're in agreement on the dice mini-game though, it really sucks.

I could see that, given the rhythm aspect is more stressful for people who aren't super good at rhythm games. I found the management loop of 2 as well as the inability to restart made the overall feel of the game more stressful.

Also if it helps you and you haven't figured it out yet, you can hit the buttons with the dpad as well, just pretend as if it were another set of face buttons.

Stuart444

I could see that, given the rhythm aspect is more stressful for people who aren't super good at rhythm games. I found the management loop of 2 as well as the inability to restart made the overall feel of the game more stressful.

Also if it helps you and you haven't figured it out yet, you can hit the buttons with the dpad as well, just pretend as if it were another set of face buttons.

You couldn't restart in 2? Shows how long it's been since I played it XD but the main gameplay stuff felt easier. (and yeah I'm not super good at rhythm stuff but I do enjoy this stuff never the less XD)

I didn't know that, I thought it was a pro thing only since I only saw the Kotori-memo showing it when I unlocked pro mode for a song. But it works in regular as well? Cool! I'll keep it in mind.

Were those 765PRO ALLSTARS PS4 themes just for preorders and first print copies?

2 of them are I think, there is another 2 though that are free to download for a limited time I think.

2 of them are I think, there is another 2 though that are free to download for a limited time I think.
I have all of the free ones, but by the time I placed my order yesterday, the first press "special product code" bonus was sold out, and I have no idea if that's actually the themes or a lottery code for the January event.

Yuuichi

You couldn't restart in 2? Shows how long it's been since I played it XD but the main gameplay stuff felt easier. (and yeah I'm not super good at rhythm stuff but I do enjoy this stuff never the less XD)

I didn't know that, I thought it was a pro thing only since I only saw the Kotori-memo showing it when I unlocked pro mode for a song. But it works in regular as well? Cool! I'll keep it in mind.

For the ones with a > (any direction) on them, you have to hit both button and dpad at once. In your defense, the grammar they used to explain it tripped me and my shitty japanese up.

m0t0k1

I am overall enjoying it but I do miss some things from the original. I do like the more rhythmic style but I do miss the old style where you can decide when to appeal and stuff. Also miss the old lessons and stuff but oh well.

Still I am overall enjoying it. My favourite bit so far though was just watching the encore of the all star live where I unlocked Happy. It's nice to see that the PS4 will show everyone on stage at once now.

I'll dump my opinion now that I've played for a few hours.

Pretty much all the depth is gone, the dice minigame sucks (cosmetics is ok, if they had replaced the PR minigame with that would have been great), I don't understand a bunch of how the new scoring mechanics work. Writing seems fine.

The new rhythm gameplay is nice, though the strategy is gone from that as well, unfortunately. I think it's a little too easy on pro (but I'm a 10th Dan IIDX player so I think most games are easy), I've heard you need to finish a characters story to unlock master so no comment on that right now.

For all my negativity, I'm really enjoying it. We've gone from the very high stress IMAS 2 to the more forgiving OFA to PS, which is virtually a zero stress game. It was a great way to unwind after a shitty day at work today, because sometimes you just want to relax with a game.

Thanks for your opinions guys. Looks like we are going more the OFA route in casualising the series then getting destroyed like in im@s 2. I can understand most from what the idols say but cant really read kanji except for a few words. So i always make the wrong choices in 2. The dice mini game looks pretty bad but some training has returned. Like that expression mini game clicking the right boxes and colour. For me its easier to just enjoy and relax and play ofa then playing 2 and making all the wrong choices. So when i get a ps4 ill probably get this game or i could ask my cousin to borrow his lol. The rythm game does look pretty easy even on higher difficulties. The Cindy girls game on IOS/android are harder.

Speaking about the game
more amazing glitches :D

Stuart444

playing 2 and making all the wrong choices.

At least in 2, you could pause during choices :p. Back when I first played IM@S2 I just paused it and looked up the answers in a guide and got most of them right. Choices, mini-games (like the map one), etc.

Can't pause in OFA or this. Also annoys me how the dialogue just goes on without our input (again in both OFA and this). I'm not a fast reader even with stuff I can read and the Producer isn't exactly voiced >.>

But overall, all of this is minor complaints to me. I'm still very much enjoying the game <3

Master difficulty is barely as difficulty as the easiest Project Diva songs on Hard. All they really do is ramp up the number of double notes, and mix in a few OXOXOX patterns. It's nothing even compared to Shiny TV. And yeah, gotta see the credits roll to unlock Master.

Yuuichi

Master difficulty is barely as difficulty as the easiest Project Diva songs on Hard. All they really do is ramp up the number of double notes, and mix in a few OXOXOX patterns. It's nothing even compared to Shiny TV. And yeah, gotta see the credits roll to unlock Master.

Hopefully they'll patch in a master+, but I don't have my hopes up.

Stuart444

Isn't this the case in every imas game?

I forget, it's been a while though it still annoys me. (I played IM@S2 before I started learning Japanese. So I never cared much outside of looking for any words that the guides would tell me to look/listen for XD)

Though my point about being able to pause during the choices stand which you can't do anymore. :( 5 seconds counting down without being able to pause just makes me nervous and hit whatever lol.

edit: Also I'm jelly of you guys who are super good at rhythm stuff like this. I can't even do most Project Diva songs on anything above the easiest mode :( Best Rhythm stuff for me is Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy - I can even do some of the harder songs on harder difficulties on that.

Still, doesn't hamper my enjoyment too much.

I did get my first few Extreme Clears and Chain Complete today. So I'm quite proud of myself :)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So are we actually going to get a new proper OT for Plat Stars? Still waiting on the OT to get redone or whatever after it got locked.

Stuart444

Conq7rzWIAAPRBG.jpg:orig

So since Plat Stars came out, I bought the 3 songs and outfit/accessories.

They look good in the outfit at least >.>

Sakura

I have to say, so far I don't think this game is very good. The best part is probably the visuals/S4U. All in all it's kind of just a glorified rhythm game. But as a rhythm game, the song selection is lacking, and the gameplay itself is kind of poor. There are increased difficulty levels, but they aren't really THAT difficult, and you don't get anything from playing a song on a harder difficulty (no better items, score, etc) hell there isn't even a trophy to be had. Any real strategy in the previous games/idol raising is pretty much gone.
I don't even see a reason to do lessons or idol work. It always seems like you are better off just playing lives. And the live variety is non existent. Where is before you had FES and stuff now it's just... well the same every time.
The story for the characters is all very shallow. You are just in a never ending training camp. There is no real progression or sense of progression either. It would be cool if you started in the beginning doing simple lives with small audiences and then when you are a top idol you are filling stadiums, but the girls are already filling entire stadiums from the beginning even though they have no fans, which makes the fan number kind of meaningless aside from ranking up.
There is lots more to be said, but it's a pretty disappointing game over all. I hope if/when they make an Idolmaster 3, it is more of a progression of 1 and 2 than something like this game.

I have to say, so far I don't think this game is very good. The best part is probably the visuals/S4U. All in all it's kind of just a glorified rhythm game. But as a rhythm game, the song selection is lacking, and the gameplay itself is kind of poor. There are increased difficulty levels, but they aren't really THAT difficult, and you don't get anything from playing a song on a harder difficulty (no better items, score, etc) hell there isn't even a trophy to be had. Any real strategy in the previous games/idol raising is pretty much gone.
I don't even see a reason to do lessons or idol work. It always seems like you are better off just playing lives. And the live variety is non existent. Where is before you had FES and stuff now it's just... well the same every time.
The story for the characters is all very shallow. You are just in a never ending training camp. There is no real progression or sense of progression either. It would be cool if you started in the beginning doing simple lives with small audiences and then when you are a top idol you are filling stadiums, but the girls are already filling entire stadiums from the beginning even though they have no fans, which makes the fan number kind of meaningless aside from ranking up.
There is lots more to be said, but it's a pretty disappointing game over all. I hope if/when they make an Idolmaster 3, it is more of a progression of 1 and 2 than something like this game.

Having put a little bit of time into my copy now, I completely agree with everything you mentioned. It's outright boring, there's nothing really to do apart from really easy rhythm game Lives, and the fact that you don't even unlock the remotely challenging difficulty setting until after clearing the game (and it's on a PER SONG BASIS) is rubbish.

Every remaining strategy element has gone and there aren't even the season goals to give you the slightest bit of urgency. You can still do promos but they only increase fan count which doesn't seem to do anything, you can still do lessons but all they do is give more EXP than Lives. Communication events kinda still exist but all they do is slightly boost your memory appeals the same as Lives do. The idol skill trees are gone, clothing skills are super basic and clothing upgrades add a minuscule +2 appeal per level making them not worth the effort. And on the subject of clothing/accessories, they're all random drops now from Lives or the dress making function, but the rates are so horrible that without spending real money on PDrops you'll barely get anything. Not that there is much to even obtain, there are 10 outfits per category which are mostly all the usual recolours (except this time each idol doesn't even have their own unique version) and even less accessories. When I was browsing the list of them earlier while trying to work on a guide I saw there was literally only 3 or 4 unique accessories per category and the rest are all dupes with better stats, and absolutely no silly ones like Pac-Man masks or robot shoes.

I'll have to take your word for it about the story, because I haven't even really seen any. You're at a training camp..... and seemingly stay there forever? Like, seasons are passing and not even the weather changes, the idols never change out of their tracksuits - there are still the birthday intros but that's the only thing hinting that time is even passing.

I'm not even sure I can see myself finishing the game, let alone buying any DLC for it. Getting the limited edition feels like such a waste now.

Sakura

The 'story' is basically just a little event that happens every time the idol ranks up. There is nothing really outside of that, so maybe story was the wrong word.

I feel like Starlight Stage has better gameplay, more songs, and more story than this game, and it's free to play lol.

Sure the game looks good, and I like the feel of the big lives with the packed stadium and glowsticks etc. But there is literally nothing outside of that in the game.

elhaym

Yep, after having spent some time over the weekend with it, I'm agreeing too. Really disappointed in it. I really was hoping for some progression but that whole "lol from 1 room concert to full stadium in 4 weeks" was not what I wanted.

I guess maybe I'll try to get back to my language stuff and struggle with imas2 again. =(

Ultimadrago

I must heed my MarieRose-sensei, Sakura. :( I was so excited from the visuals too. I was at least hoping the individual stories would be fully fleshed out and memorable for the girls. I did decide to not pick up even beforehand in the end, but I was hoping it'd still be really good.

Rhapsody

Banned
Well that's disappointing. OFA had some cool leveling up features, but that was maybe the only thing I liked in OFA over 2. Platinum Stars still doesn't sound like a full return to im@s2 gameplay. Was going to pick up a PS4 later this year. I guess for Platinum Stars, I'll just wait for a lower price of some sort since I'm not too much in a hurry now.

Sakura

I must heed my MarieRose-sensei, Sakura. :( I was so excited from the visuals too. I was at least hoping the individual stories would be fully fleshed out and memorable for the girls. I did decide to not pick up even beforehand in the end, but I was hoping it'd still be really good.

I'm sure it will go down in price. You could pick it up just for the cute girls dancing and singing.

Accoun

Didn't it already have a lot of used copies on Amazon because there was some raffle ticket and people were buying multiple copies and selling most of them basically unused?

Stuart444

I'm still playing and enjoying it. I also would not call it easy on anything above regular. IM@S2 and OFA were easier gameplay wise to me.

As for the song list, it's got the same amount of songs OFA and IM@S2 had on release. 20 songs. So the song amount isn't a surprise to me.

Sakura

I'm still playing and enjoying it. I also would not call it easy on anything above regular. IM@S2 and OFA were easier gameplay wise to me.

As for the song list, it's got the same amount of songs OFA and IM@S2 had on release. 20 songs. So the song amount isn't a surprise to me.

The problem is the game is basically just a rhythm game, so it would be nice if there were at least more songs. Imas 2, the gameplay is more than just the rhythm game. It's an idol raising game where there is more strategy required than just hitting the notes at the right time. There are different strategies depending on whether you want to clear a FES or an audition. You are also trying to make the songs you are producing high sellers fast so you can get better work, and because there is the time limit you have to more carefully plan what you are doing. There is the danketsu to worry about. You are trying to raise fans in various regions across Japan. Making the right decisions in communications actually matters (and there are far more of them).
In Platinum Stars, all you have to do is play lives, there is no reason to train or do work. And there is no Dance, Visual, and Vocal to worry about when playing the songs, it is just hit the notes at the right time. There is no time limit, there is nothing to worry about outside of playing the songs. Just put the right outfit on for the Live and 99/100 you will clear it. And because the acquisition of accessories and outfits is completely random (outside the first time live rewards), if you want better stuff, you are just playing the songs over and over hoping you get good drops.
As for the difficulty of the rhythm game itself, the hardest part about Pro is having to press a button on the dpad while pressing a face button. It's pretty easy. And by the time you unlock the hardest difficulty for all the songs, you've probably already produced everyone anyway.

The big problem with the song list is not how many songs, but the type of songs available. Idolmaster 2's default songs were all either new, relatively unknown or had only been released previously as DLC, plus each idol had 1 personal song. OFA had almost all returning songs, but they were ones that had previously only been available in SP and L4U so they weren't particularly well known, like Imas 2 each idol had 1 personal song as well.

Platinum Stars is almost all returning songs, but there is absolutely no pattern to the selection and some idols don't even have a personal song. They've even reverted back to the original mix of The Idolm@ster rather than creating a new version (like they did for 2nd vision). Considering every idol just got a new personal song via OFA and Master Artist 3 it baffles me why they weren't default songs. Since this was meant to be a fresh new start for the series a better song list would have included all 13 MA3 solos (as full versions for every idol), the 3 Shiny Festa songs, a new mix of The Idolm@ster, the 2 new songs and then a few of the OFA DLC songs like 99 Nights, Kimi*Channel, Good Byes, Shizuka and Thank You.

And then in DLC pack 1 we have a brand new song (why wasn't this in by default?) and 2 old MA1 songs for idols that have no personal songs in the base product. They've still got all the Master Special and Master Artist 2 songs (Mythmaker, DIAMOND, Nemurihime, arcadia, livE etc.) that haven't been in a mainline game, the mostly neglected DREAM/LOST/THE Ai trio, the movie songs etc. etc. and yet we're getting the same old songs being peddled out as DLC.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So there's a chance for us to vote for who sings some songs at the 4th Live that we will never be at:

The two songs in questions are Hi-fi days and Junjou Midnight Densetsu.

https://analytics.bnfes.jp/enquete/pc/imas_css_4th/index.php?q=e

The first box is for your Starlight Stage ID.

Idols names for Hi-fi days
Uzuki
Nana
Miho
Mayu
Koume
Mika
Riina
Anzu
Miku
Kanako
Kirari
Haruna
Rina
Ryo
Takumi
Aki​

Idols names for JMD
Uzuki
Nana
Miho
Mayu
Koume
Mika
Riina
Anzu
Miku
Kanako
Kirari
Miria
Nao
Chie
Syoko
Kaoru​

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
"It will be released overseas"
"It's not just for Japan, you can play it too"

The teasing is far too much.

Though I love how the guy in red went from "these chicks are hot!" to "Oh wait, she's as old as my daughter…"

m0t0k1

was gonna get her eventually down the line

Platinum Stars is pretty fun though (I especially like the new rhythm inputs). Liking it more than OFA but still falls short of 2

Havent played ps but i liked OFA more then 2 since i always fail at the commu choices i can understand what they are saying pretty well but can only read there names in kanji so i always get there tension down. OFA was still managing aspects of 2 but toned down the game part. and more relax with your idols game.

pariah164

Question: With Starlight Stage, is it possible to play on more than one device? I just got a new android tablet, and would like to play on both it and my phone.

Top Bottom