• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Beta [Beta withdrawal underway!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinduct

So anyone have an exact time the beta ends?
Friend coming over later today and wanted to show him D3 .. in hopes of convincing him to join me in the dark!

forrest

formerly nacire
As a reminder for all beta participants, the Diablo III closed beta will officially end tomorrow morning (May 1) at 3:00 a.m. PDT. At that time, beta servers will no longer be available for play.

Thank you so much for your insight and feedback during this critical stage of Diablo III's development. We look forward to seeing you online -- or at one of our midnight launch events -- on May 15!

Source

Bloodsent

I did the digital pre-order through Blizzard, but now I am having second thoughts and may want to Purchase the Collector's Edition. Anyone know if Blizzard is giving a way to get a refund for the digital purchase if you buy a box version?

Eh, half a year from now it'll all be mapped out and FAQ'd and youtube'd.

If there is one thing I have learned from all of my years of gaming and keeping an eye and ear on game development, it's that developers and professional playtesters are godawful at the games they make and test.

Just listen to State of the Game for SC2 each week and listen to how highly the pro players think of the opinions of the development team on high level balance.

If there is one thing I have learned from all of my years of gaming and keeping an eye and ear on game development, it's that developers and professional playtesters are godawful at the games they make and test.

Just listen to State of the Game for SC2 each week and listen to how highly the pro players think of the opinions of the development team on high level balance.

It's partly a size issue. A dev team is dozens of people. A playerbase is millions. It's the same reason Tasmanians never invented the wheel.

On top of which, yes, the talents for creating a fun and deep game are not really the same ones required to be very good at that game.

Kalnos

Banned
After some French guy went from level 70 to 80 in a single day after one of the WoW expansions (I think Burning Crusade) came out, then yeah, I'd say a month sounds accurate.

Wrath, and that has a lot to do with finding things in the beta and then exploiting them. Still, it won't take people long. Blizzard seems to forget they have a plethora of players who will be playing 24/7.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Not much left... oh my god.

injurai

Banned
3 more treats :)

jbj9l5jkRcM33j.png

Please let one be early access ;)

Doubt that, unlike Portal 2, Blizzard has their servers rolling out in a specific manner. I would also be pissed because I ordered the physical CE.

My guess would be its the stream of the Launch Party, or the opening cinematic to the game so the people who got the physical copies would get to see it while they are waiting for their copy.

Twinduct

God damnit!
I need to play this now. I need higher gear. I need to get past level 13. I want to look back at the death of the skeleton king as if it was a life passed.

Fuck.

Sothpaw

Wrath, and that has a lot to do with finding things in the beta and then exploiting them. Still, it won't take people long. Blizzard seems to forget they have a plethora of players who will be playing 24/7.

I don't think Blizzard forgets they have the 24/7 players. I think they know better than to address that fringe. When they say how hard inferno is they mean it will be hard for the vast majority of players.

I mean, we all post on Neogaf so I am assuming we all love videogames. How many of us in this thread can really play 24/7? We either have to go to work or go to school. Maybe some kids who don't have a summer job and don't play sports can? Maybe some people are going to waste three weeks of vacation time for the release of a videogame? Even so, that's going to still represent the fringe.

elfinke

Oh my.

Oh my my.

This video changes things.

Clearly I need 5 PCs + sets of arms in order to pay each character concurrently.

Next to the little red tick I give myself on my P90 workout calendar, I have added a red circle for the days left until Diablo. I haven't been this eager for a game to release in a long time. That beta weekend awakened some part of my brain and hasn't stopped rustling its jimmies since!

JAFAR

My guess would be its the stream of the Launch Party, or the opening cinematic to the game so the people who got the physical copies would get to see it while they are waiting for their copy.

It will be some cinematic, but I dont think it will be the opening cinematic because it's already here: http://youtu.be/Y9mUe5vHYzs

IMO I think it will be a video showing
Tyrael's downfall and his expulsion from the High Heavens.

http://i.imgur.com/upoox.jpg

Venfayth

I've already bought D3 online on the Blizzard site, but I decided I want that CE stuff too, so I ordered one from a third party vendor. Will I be able to put that code on my account later for the in-game rewards?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wooooow. That video shows that Blizzard has no cooldown :3

dLMN8R

Ordered mine from newegg gets here day and date and it is $10.00 less than anywhere else!

Has Newegg guaranteed release day delivery for Diablo III? I also scored a $10-off preorder, but I did so with the understanding that I might not be playing it on the 15th.

hitsugi

Sounds like marketing.

Thank you. Inferno, even on Hardcore, will be completed sooner than anyone is expecting. Remember the teams and hardcore players that will group and go at this nonstop from the instant they can log in until its done.

The fact hardcore can take a character out of comission would only be a minor setback after people are familiar with the zones, and they'll just remake and get that one back to inferno.. Likely in a couple of days.

chris-013

What about gear check ? Maybe inferno is very hard because monsters have 50 000 hp and hits for 6k hp. So in the end, that will not be hard but time consuming to gear your character.

Artanisix

Yeah sounds more gear-dependent than anything. Dunno if you'll be able to "out-skill" the difficulty, but it could happen with potential skill exploits or abuses or something.

injurai

Banned
Yeah sounds more gear-dependent than anything. Dunno if you'll be able to "out-skill" the difficulty, but it could happen with potential skill exploits or abuses or something.

I expect the first clear to be done by a Witch Doctor. The pets can really put a buffer between you can you enemies. Kiting is fine and all but get low on your resource and you could be in a pinch. With a large mana pull and slower more careful control over the battle ground I think WD would be able to out skill if any class could.

I'm fairly sure there is a certain amount of damage you'll have to be able to soak, so inferno is going to be a pretty serious gear-check.

It's entirely possible that someone will just blow through the game, but it's also possible that it's tuned to near-impossible levels, and will need to get a nerf before that happens. Lately the former seems more likely with Blizzard, but this is a different IP, so who knows.

chris-013

Ye like kiting or terrain exploit where a ranged class can shoot without being hit...
OMG World first Diablo inferno kill, 72 548 arrows/spells and 3h 54 to kill him. ;P

injurai

Banned
Ye like kiting or terrain exploit where a ranged class can shoot without being hit...
OMG World first Diablo inferno kill, 72 548 arrows/spells and 3h 54 to kill him. ;P

This sounds like killing the butcher. Grab a bow and lock yourself in a room where the wall is made from bars. Shoot through until he is dead. If you where doing this as a warrior and The Butcher was pacing back and forth so you would miss a lot, it would take a really damn long time to kill him.

Gunna be awesome [^-^]

holy crap, that Wizard spotlight video now made me question my choice once AGAIN!

I was set on Witch doc but after seeing this.... ugh i hate this game already for making me think SO hard about what class to pick (that's why i love it too though)

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I'd really prefer Inferno to not be a simple HP and damage multiplier, but even if it's totally 100% gear-dependent it would only take the discovery of one Pindleskin-alike to render it trivial.

Yoshichan

chris-013

I'd really prefer Inferno to not be a simple HP and damage multiplier, but even if it's totally 100% gear-dependent it would only take the discovery of one Pindleskin-alike to render it trivial.

They already said it's not only HP and damage multiplier. There will be new monsters skills and a better AI.

Yoshichan

And speed. Let's not forget about the speed.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
They already said it's not only HP and damage multiplier. There will be new monsters skills and a better AI.

And if what they said is congruent with reality that will be positively delightful.

According to some of the YouTube videos of blizzcon panels and such, champion mobs in particular are supposed to get more and or better abilities at the higher levels.

I'm actually fairly excited to see some of the procedurally generated monsters at the higher difficulty levels. Theoretically this is one of the ways in which the game stays interesting, other than just the collection of lewts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom