• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowverse |OT| Anime Hearthstone now on Steam

Ken

Is this hard to get into if you've never played Hearthstone or any card games in general?

i dont think so, no

this and hearthstone share a lot of basic mechanics, and both of those games are a bit simpler than other TCGs like yugioh and magic imo

Rainy

Banned
i dont think so, no

this and hearthstone share a lot of basic mechanics, and both of those games are a bit simpler than other TCGs like yugioh and magic imo

Alright cool, do you suggest I go mobile or steam?

Also in terms of rerolling, what should I be looking for...

Luigi87

Start mobile so you can reroll. If you're willing to go through the headache of rerolling aim for around 6+ legendaries (preferably useful ones), but a good amount is so you can also liquefy ones you may not need.
When you connect a mobile account to Steam you will then get bonus packs anyhow.

Ken

mobile since you can reroll and then link to steam.

depends on what deck you want to make. legendaries cost a lot so you definitely want to aim for as many legendaries as you can get for the deck you want to make. it costs 3500 vials to make a legendary while they only disenchant for 1000. golds cost 800 to make.

for rerolls:

Forestcraft: Forestcraft is best suited by rerolling for no less than 2 Ancient Elf, this 3 mana card forms the foundation of Forestcraft early game and isn’t replaceable by any lower rarity card whatsoever. Other notable targets to make current tier 1 Forestcraft decks include: Rhinoceroach, Altered Fate, Path to Purgatory, Will of the Forest. Darkness Evolved targets: Starting in Darkness Evolved a Midrange, very expensive style of Forestcraft deck is taking the stage, and as a result getting Gold Rarity Forest cards of of your Darkness Evolved starter packs is very important. Crystalia Tia is an excellent legendary but cards like Elf Girl Lisa and Elf Knight Cynthia absolutely destroy their competitors in the Standard Set.

Swordcraft: This class is VERY hungry for legendary rarity cards in its reroll, as its best decks make use of ALL legendary rarity cards. In other words, as many Sea Queen Otohime, Aurelia the Regal Blade, and Tsubaki as you can get will lead to Swordcraft success. In order to suit the new Control Sword Archetype cards like Alexander and Leonidas can be very useful in combination with the legendaries below.

Runecraft: Runecraft is quite easy to reroll for, as its best deck only runs 3 legendary cards and 3 golds in its basest, skeleton form. Shoot for Merlin and Dimension Shift and you probably won’t be disappointed. Targets remain the same in Darkness Evolved, with the exception of maybe a Timeworn Mage Levi or two. Pascale and Earth Rite decks are a possibility in the future but don’t exist as a top archetype in this expansion. Ancient Alchemist, Pascale, and amulets like Juno’s are what you’d want for them though.

Dragoncraft: Dragoncraft is a bit of a tough reroll, it has multiple archetypes that all like different legendaries, its best to do a little research before going all in on one type of dragoncraft deck or another, but if you’re rolling for waifus the target is crystal clear. After the Expac it's clear that all decks from now until the end of time will require 3x Forte, always Forte, and only Forte. In terms of strength on ladder Darkness Evolved Dragoncraft Golds and legendaries mean almost nothing. However as Dragoncraft has powerful late game the Evolution point granting bomb Dark Angel Olivia can add value and power to late game cards in a nice package. Other important golds include Genesis Dragon, Wyvern Cavalier, and maybe on top of all that a Fafnir or 2.

Shadowcraft: Shadowcraft is fairly expensive to play in its powerful iterations, and one reroll isn’t going to get you through the high amount of gold cards you’ll need to acquire but the targets are Cerberus (mandatory in all decks) Death’s Breath, Foul Tempest, and Phantom Howl. In addition to ALL of the previous thing Darkness Evolved’s new control shadow archetype demands 3x Lord of the Flies, for your consideration, however ladder has lost almost all of its Shadowcraft players as Haven has become dominant, the only netdecks that exist for this class are decks from back in standard or new, experimental control type decks.

Bloodcraft: Blood is somewhat odd in that none of its legendaries are super desireable or irreplaceable but it REQUIRES a large number of gold cards to function, almost every blood gold is good and part of its repertoire but aim specifically for cards like Revelation, Temptress Vampire, and maybe a Vampire Queen
Darkness Evolved update: Much less focus on the control cards as the meta has resulted in Dimension Shift being incredibly dominant over all control archetypes, building an aggro deck with cards like Vania, Vampire Princess and Vampiric Castle is much more popular and also a lot cheaper, if you like blood look for these cards.

Havencraft: Darkness evolved has taken this class from the bottom of the dumpster to the highest peaks, mostly due to very cheap cards like Beastcall Aria, however, the best decks of Havencraft still require golds like Elana’s Prayer, Themis’, and Winged Sentinel Garuda. From Standard you still want bunnies from the moon.

tldr:

forestcraft: ancient elves and crystalia tia
swordcraft: otohime, tsubaki, aurelia
runecraft: merlins for dshift, pascale for earthrune
dragoncraft: 3x forte
bloodcraft: queen vamp and bloody mary if control, otherwise aggrobat doesnt really need any
shadowcraft: cerberus and lord of flies it looks like
havencraft: maybe some moon al'miraj? idk

swordcraft and forestcraft are the most expensive decks i think

current meta if you follow that: https://www.reddit.com/r/Shadowverse/comments/5bmaah/decklists_for_the_current_top_meta_decks/

Vex_

Banned
Just started this! Im so excited. The voice acting already sounds so refreshing and good!

Thanks for recommending this, gaf!

zulux21

so... if I only plan on playing solo and take two... is there any reason at all for me to care about opening packs?

I have no plans to play normal multiplayer... I will just log in... collect some gold, and play some take two once a week or so.

Vecks

so... if I only plan on playing solo and take two... is there any reason at all for me to care about opening packs?

I have no plans to play normal multiplayer... I will just log in... collect some gold, and play some take two once a week or so.

What, you don't find getting legendary cards exciting?

I mean, at the very least, you can build up cards for decks to beat the Elite CPU in solo practice for the achievements... if you care about that.

zulux21

What, you don't find getting legendary cards exciting?

I mean, at the very least, you can build up cards for decks to beat the Elite CPU in solo practice for the achievements... if you care about that.

not really. I don't enjoy building up a competitive deck for constructed play. I much prefer stuff like the arena or drafts in card games instead.

don't really care about achievements either.

so I take that as a yes, not much point. I don't think I can just give them to people either... which is a shame because I would just give mine away if I don't need them. (to be fair if I could give cards away I imagine that they wouldn't give so many packs with a new account as that would just be abused because people are jerks)

Natiko

Banned
At what rate do you earn cards by staying F2P? I already dump money into Hearthstone and enjoy that a lot, but I don't want to spend money on two card games so if I start this I'll likely not want to spend money.

zulux21

At what rate do you earn cards by staying F2P? I already dump money into Hearthstone and enjoy that a lot, but I don't want to spend money on two card games so if I start this I'll likely not want to spend money.

just play casually?

from the looks of it you will be able to play take two (the arena) and get a pack of cards once a week just by taking 20 seconds to log in.

beyond that if you start on steam you start with like 40 packs.

if you want more you seem to get missions to get you more money like hearthstone have. as well as milestone rewards.

as long as you just casually play it seems like you should earn at least 2 card packs a week.

gngf123

You earn significantly more than Hearthstone.

40 packs at the start, one per week just from logging in, and quite a lot of gold from doing missions or earning achievements.

If you already play Hearthstone, you should be able to use your gold on Arena for even more efficient use of your gold. You can easily have a budget-friendly competitive deck going in just a few days of F2P play.

You earn significantly more than Hearthstone.

40 packs at the start, one per week just from logging in, and quite a lot of gold from doing missions or earning achievements.

If you already play Hearthstone, you should be able to use your gold on Arena for even more efficient use of your gold. You can easily have a budget-friendly competitive deck going in just a few days of F2P play.

Yeah, you earn more but you also need a whole lot more. Even a deck with 3 legendary cards is going to cost you around 10k vials to make. And we have 40 card decks as opposed to 30. They really don't feel that different to me to be honest.

vall03

Man, Forestcraft is fucking expensive. I thought of starting with this since I got three Crystalia Tia from packs, but the rest still require a lot of vials considering the deck consists of a lot of Gold cards. I think I can craft the Gold cards but not Ancient Elves. Don't know what to focus on tbh, but I guess I'll use all of my Take Two tickets first before diving into constructed. Need to save up rupies as well since I've read that the next expansion is coming in late December.

Rainy

Banned
Legendaries: Crystalia Tia, Lord of the Flies, Moon Al-mi'raj, Odin x2, Alexander, Alexander (but Animated?...)

Golds: Rogue's Creed, Urd, Rimewind, Calamitous Curse, Medusa, Themis's Decree, Dracomancer's Rites, Dark Offering, Grand Archer Selwyn, Wyrm Spire, Arch Princess Laelia, Azazel

Honestly Forestcraft, Swordcraft, Runecraft, and Havencraft all looked cool for me. Any of those viable with these? Looks like Havencraft or Swordcraft might be my best bet.

Ken

Legendaries: Crystalia Tia, Lord of the Flies, Moon Al-mi'raj, Odin x2, Alexander, Alexander (but Animated?...)

Golds: Rogue's Creed, Urd, Rimewind, Calamitous Curse, Medusa, Themis's Decree, Dracomancer's Rites, Dark Offering, Grand Archer Selwyn, Wyrm Spire, Arch Princess Laelia, Azazel

Honestly Forestcraft, Swordcraft, Runecraft, and Havencraft all looked cool for me. Any of those viable with these? Looks like Havencraft or Swordcraft might be my best bet.

control swordcraft use alexander but i don't think a full 3. i think odin is good tech card atm? but you'd still be missing aurelias, tsubakis and otohimes

forestcraft would still need a full set of ancient elves and another tia or two, plus a set of rhinoceroach

stormhaven doesn't need much besides the three garudas

thelmis gets used in elana's prayer havencraft but that runs seraphs

---

Results for a recent jp tournament

http://site-992632-3454-6958.strikingly.com

Nikodemos

Would building a pain mirror Bloodcraft deck work? Basically using Bloody Mary to bounce the shit-ton of self-damage many faction specific Fanfare followers or spells dish out.

squall23

When I go through my reroll process, should I spend tickets for the theme pack as well or just open the 10 standard packs?

IMHO it's mistake to concentrate on one deck when you start. You need to be relatively strong in majority of them to be able to make dailies.

If you put all your resources into one deck then you will race through the ranks quickly and will get matched with your weaker decks against super strong enemies.

When I go through my reroll process, should I spend tickets for the theme pack as well or just open the 10 standard packs?

There are separate tickets for each type of pack.

JohnCYQ

Currently at A0, climbing mainly with my own brew of a Storm-Elana haven deck.

Storm-Elana Decklist

I've been enjoying this variant to pretty good success so far (gotten up to 10 win streaks at rank A0) despite getting weird looks when I talk about this build on the sub-reddit's discord channel. =^) Its a pretty cheap deck to make as well (5 golds, 2 legendaries).

Compared to the pure Elana or the Elana-Seraph variant, I would say that this version has an unexpected explosive power due to being able to set up burst combos with the storm amulets (birdsong and pinion prayer). Being relatively lower-curved also helps with the consistency a bit, instead of having to throw your heal cards away just to maintain board presence - this is what the additional amulets are for. I really like Prince of Darkness as the alternative win-condition because it does not require the deck to have specific combo pieces (like Seraph would) while constantly threatening lethal if your opponent even leaves a single one of your monsters alive, due to one of the special cards being able to reduce the opponent's HP to 1. Olivia is just generally great for both board control and pushing for more face damage by evolving storm minions.

vall03

How are people drafting Dark Angel Olivia in Arena? I've lost three in a row because of her and all from a winning position no less. Damn, I never thought I'd get triggered by Shadowverse.

PsionBolt

How are people drafting Dark Angel Olivia in Arena? I've lost three in a row because of her and all from a winning position no less. Damn, I never thought I'd get triggered by Shadowverse.

It's weird. I've played only 4 or so runs, and I've taken Olivia every time but one. I haven't been offered almost any other legends.

sibarraz

Banned
I think that the F2P friendliness is highly overrated in this game.

The pros are

- They give you 50 packs just for starting to play, plus lots of easy options to win quick money like defeating the IA, daily login, lots of take two tickets and other things, in that sense this game is super great to start playing with a cheap competitive deck since there are the tools to start playing as f2p, and way better than heartstone were adventures already put a big barrier entry for new players.

- Packs have more cards

-The legendary and animated rates are good, so if you want to disenchant everything and build a deck you can do it.

- If you do all the quests, you can buy 1 pack daily.

In the other hand, the cons are.

- Decks need 40 card, not 30, so if you want a full deck you need to pull or craft more cards.

- Since All cards can have 3 copies (including legendaries) the need of gold and legendary cards to stay competitve make decks more expensive, here some "cheap" decks still require a considerable amount of golden and legendary, and some decks make wallet warrior look cheap in comparision.

- Almost all of the legendary and gold cards that decks run are class exclusive, this means that building an expensive deck doesn't help you to build other decks. Using the control warrior example again, normally only grommash (if you run it) is a legendary that only works on warrior, the rest of the legendary cards can be used perfectly on any other deck.

It seems like

So tldr, the entry barrier of this game is super low as long as you want to stay competitive with one or 2 classes, but once you want to reach to another, it gets harder, like, I put 50 dollars on the game, and could build competitive decks for haven, sword, rune and shadow, and now I'm aiming for dragon but it will take some time, also since it seems like expansions are released closer to each other, I still have to worry about keeping my other decks competitive

Ken

at least there's a couple of T1/T2 budget decks to aim for

stormhaven, bannersword, and aggrobats i think?

I started playing on steam

Haven't really done much but the tutorial and up to the last mission in forest craft story

Am I still able to reroll and link my account through mobile? I'm unsure how account link works

Ken

Haven't really done much but the tutorial and up to the last mission in forest craft story

Am I still able to reroll and link my account through mobile? I'm unsure how account link works

Pretty sure it'll overwrite your steam progress

KuroNeeko

I guess it partly depends on what you mean by "competitive".

I've drawn three Queen Vampires and two Bloody Marys (yeah, lucky, I know) and fleshed out a (LARGE) number of golds to make Control Vampire. Using that and mostly Sunshine Bishop (pre-expansion) and Elana's (post-expansion), I don't feel like there is that much out there I can't beat.

I just hit B3 today, though I could have hit it far, far earlier. I usually play my "competitive" decks to finish some missions or rake in some rewards, then switch to something non-competitive for a bit just to play around.

I think you will need a lot of time / money if you want to make competitive decks for all the classes right away. For me, I have zero desire to play Royal, so I've dusted everything from that class and most of my stuff from Dragon.

I can play pretty much any form of Bishop (minus the Moon Rabbits), most viable forms of Vampire, and now Elf as well since I just crafted three Ancient Elves.

I think you can build almost anything with just a bit of time at this point. If, like you say, each expansion introduces more "must-have" legendaries for each class, then it'll be tough. I had to choose between Elf and Necro since both require about six legendaries for their control-ish archtypes. If elf comes out with another "Tia" or blood another "Queen Vampire" or "Blood Mary" then, yeah, it might get rough.

Still F2P though.

If you're looking to compete in the higher A-AAAs and Master, then yeah, there will be less room / forgiveness for replacements with regards to some deck types.

So far, I've found it more F2P friendly than Hearthstone, probably because of the greater number of "free" packs they've given out as well as the higher ether-per-pack ratio.

If you're looking to play something like....Control Royal, Control Vampire, Control Necro, or Tempo Elf--then yeah, the cost is going to be up there.

gngf123

I think you can.

You might as well open your free packs on Steam first though. If you get 7-8 legendaries from your 40 packs you might decide it's not even worth rerolling.

sibarraz

Banned
qdruObe.png

Metareport from a japanese site (translated by some user at reddit). It blows my mind that no class has over a 50% of winrate going first.

And one of elf/forescraft variants has an 60% winrate, to put that on perspective, that's higher than undertaker hunter. I really want to play with forestcraft since I'm curious on what makes that deck so broken (and in my rank I don't know if nobody has the optimal deck, nobody know how to play it, or somehow all my decks counter them, so I almost always win against them)

http://shadowlog.com/trend/

And I'm sad that the english version doesn't use the japanese names for classes, I like them way more than Xcraft

Pretty sure it'll overwrite your steam progress

I hope not. I wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but I'd be out the 2 bucks or so I spent on daily bonus packs so far

I think you can.

You might as well open your free packs on Steam first though. If you get 7-8 legendaries from your 40 packs you might decide it's not even worth rerolling.

I guess that's the smartest way to go about it.

but if what Ken says is true can I ever complete that link to another service quest? or is that referring to something other than the mobile version?

gngf123

I hope not. I wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but I'd be out the 2 bucks or so I spent on daily bonus packs so far

I guess that's the smartest way to go about it.

but if what Ken says is true can I ever complete that link to another service quest? or is that referring to something other than the mobile version?

If you want to complete the service quest with your Steam account, you can easily do that.

You can use the Link Data option to link your Steam account with the mobile version, and then use the account link in the settings on there to link it with Google or Facebook.

Got jack shit from those packs lol. I really want to play Swordcraft and barely got anything.

Gonna do rerolls on mobile and hopefully I can overwrite on steam and still get all those packs again

Luigi87

Got jack shit from those packs lol. I really want to play Swordcraft and barely got anything.

Gonna do rerolls on mobile and hopefully I can overwrite on steam and still get all those packs again

While you don't get quite as many packs starting on mobile compared to Steam (I think 30 + 5 for mobile & linking to Steam vs 40 on Steam) rerolling on mobile and linking to Steam is still much more beneficial in the long run as long as you do it until you have a good number of decent legendaries.

KuroNeeko

qdruObe.png

Metareport from a japanese site (translated by some user at reddit). It blows my mind that no class has over a 50% of winrate going first.

And one of elf/forescraft variants has an 60% winrate, to put that on perspective, that's higher than undertaker hunter. I really want to play with forestcraft since I'm curious on what makes that deck so broken (and in my rank I don't know if nobody has the optimal deck, nobody know how to play it, or somehow all my decks counter them, so I almost always win against them)

http://shadowlog.com/trend/

And I'm sad that the english version doesn't use the japanese names for classes, I like them way more than Xcraft

Originally, win rates favored those who played first. They found that the tempo gain outweighed the extra Evo point so they compensated by giving the other player an additional card. That has been enough to tip the scale back to the player who plays second. The only deck I think that still has a higher WR going first is Banner Royal or maybe aggro Vampire.

Tempo Elf...there are a ton of different variants. The one you are referring to is probably the Rose Queen variant. It wins because it has so many viable win conditions: an early uncounterable Ancient Elf on turn three; a buffed Tia on turn five; burst damage via Rhinoroach; burst damage via Rose Queen; or Path to Purgatory.

I'm playing a more Control-ly "Lock" variant on the side, and it's pretty disgusting. The fact that Elf has so many different play styles is what prompted me to choose it over (Control) Necro as my third class (Vampire / Bishop are my first two).

The only decks that really punish Tempo Elf are Face Dragon, Storm Bishop, and Banner Royal--though the MU against the latter two can be improved by adding PtP to your deck.

The new expansion gave Elf a LOT of great tools. The 2/2 elf Liza protects your board against AoE. The 5 1/1 Tia is amazing, especially with Elven Mage Princess. Cynthia buffs your board. Flutter(?) gives you more card draw without relying on an amulet.

I expect Necro to get a bump next expansion and hopefully Witch as well. The Pamela archtype never really took off, leaving witch with only one really good (non-interactive) deck type. Vampire also got a lot of good cards, but is still sitting out on the fringe. I hope it gets buffed as well.

Holy shit I'm loving this game. Quick question, but how many evolves do you get per game?

Dark Elf Olivia also sets your Evo points to three when you play her.

supergiz

Thanks guys for the tips! Been playing this all night :). Time to go to sleep. Stuck on level 7 solo. My forest deck is seriously sucking :(. Any tips?

Either way have a good night and look forward to playing this more in the morning.

Finally got 5-0 as forestcraft in take two. Elf knight cynthia carried me super hard and the last game olivia came to the rescue. Never drew my prince of darkness though too bad. Really enjoying how fast arena is compared to hearthstone. Did like two take twos in the time it takes to do one arena run.

gngf123

Neat. I've been focusing on the standard packs. Maybe I can use up a few take 2 tickets on these and build up on my DE cards.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I had a sneaking suspicion that this was going to be the case, but was hoping that maybe I was just too newbie to judge. It's painfully obvious in Take Two, but I was hoping it may have been even enough in constructed.

So what's the solution? P2 gets an extra card, an extra point, and an earlier evolution. In the name of "fun", I'd like to see P1 bumped to 3 evos, but then that just means after back and forth evo trades, P1 may still stay ahead after 3 turns.

gngf123

Seriously fuck that dark alisa card thing that gives 3 evolution when brought out. seriously overpowered :(

Olivia?

Yeah she is pretty damn good and fits in a lot of decks. Don't think she is that overpowered though.

I had a sneaking suspicion that this was going to be the case, but was hoping that maybe I was just too newbie to judge. It's painfully obvious in Take Two, but I was hoping it may have been even enough in constructed.

So what's the solution? P2 gets an extra card, an extra point, and an earlier evolution. In the name of "fun", I'd like to see P1 bumped to 3 evos, but then that just means after back and forth evo trades, P1 may still stay ahead after 3 turns.

Someone else had the idea of more "gain effect if there is an evolved enemy" type cards to nullify the extra evolve point a little. I think that's the best approach I have seen so far. Anything else seems like it would shift the game too far back again.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I've been doing ok with my second real constructed deck. Tons of construction questions incoming!

1) Does anyone have any suggestions for better lategame cards that aren't legendary? I'm able to ramp more often than not, but I feel like I don't have enough beefdudes to really squeeze out that tempo gain. I'd also like more healing/ward in the deck. I'm thinking of crafting 2x Neptune as it kind of fulfills both. Maybe Grim Reaper? Shame I don't own Lucifer yet...

2) In terms of cards I'd like to cut, Lightning Behemoth and Firstborn Dragon are high on the list. I'd swap the latter out for whatever alternate ward I'd decide on. I should be lighter on the 3 drops anyway since I want to ramp.

3) I'd like more draw in the deck and Shenlong is great, but I'm not keen on adding too many >5pp cards; I wouldn't be able to play more than 1 card a turn if I do that. So I'd probably either add 2x Shenlong or 2x Neptune, not both. Maybe Ivory Dragon?

4) What are people's thoughts on 2x Aiela and 2x Ethica? I have 3 of each, but that would be way too much I think, especially when my lategame is still lacking a bit. I didn't want to invest into too many 3pp cards since I plan on ramping straight to 4 often. I find that Ethica's +1hp really matters in the aggro matchups and so I've shied away from 3x Aiela. Thoughts?

5) Finally, what about Prince of Darkness vs Polyphonic Roar? I find that Prince is actually a bit worse from behind since the OP card I get is random and the Prince is vulnerable to spells before I can trade with him since I don't plan to have any more evolution points by then. Not sure if my assessment is too accurate though.

Sorry for the super long post. I'm really enjoying the deck building in this game, and the little choices like Aiela vs Ethica really get me going haha.

Someone else had the idea of more "gain effect if there is an evolved enemy" type cards to nullify the extra evolve point a little. I think that's the best approach I have seen so far. Anything else seems like it would shift the game too far back again.
Problem is that if they are too good, then P2 can use them to get further ahead without spending another evolution. Difficult problem to have.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Olivia?

Yeah she is pretty damn good and fits in a lot of decks. Don't think she is that overpowered though.

There's too many insane 4 drops with an evolve effect which doesn't help when player 2 gets to evolve right on that turn.

I think cards like Siegfried are the type of design needed to curb the evolve advantages. The instant attack hit gets cleaned up without having to evolve in return which is a big deal.

Top Bottom