• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowverse |OT| Anime Hearthstone now on Steam

gngf123

I just did my first B0 trial. Played Haven, and 3 of 4 matches were mirrors. The one that wasn't was against spellrune and I misclicked end turn and got DShifted. Haven't tilted that hard in a long time.

Got into B0 on my second try though!

There's no stipulation for people rage quitting at the end to slap you with a 90 second wait window. People quit just to troll you at the end. Pieces of shit.

Sometimes it is people on their phones just turning the screen off, as a quick way to finish the game.

Absolutely something should be done about it though.

Finally got around to rerolling

after a few attempts I finally pulled an Otohime(I want to play Swordcraft)

but I only got two other legendaries. Dragon Song Flute and Sun Oracle Pascale

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Another arena. I'm 4-0 and the game is in the bag. They're topdecking and I have +5 cards on them. My first 5-0 is here! I experience my first ever game crash. I think I'm tilted for life.

gngf123

Another arena. I'm 4-0 and the game is in the bag. They're topdecking and I have +5 cards on them. My first 5-0 is here! I experience my first ever game crash. I think I'm tilted for life.

I had an internet disconnection once in that position.

Yeah, no game has ever tilted me quite as much.

Szadek

These sword and forest decks at low ranks are getting annoying.
Are there any low budget rune or heaven decks I can play against them?

Tensa

Neo Member
I just had a second run-in with what was basically constructed elana haven except it was in take-two.

By like turn 6/7 the early pressure I had going didn't mean anything between the themis decree, radiance angels, and other heals leading to this giant board I had no way of clearing.

That was just brutal, RIP 5-0.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
These sword and forest decks at low ranks are getting annoying.
Are there any low budget rune or heaven decks I can play against them?
Just tech in some Angelic Barrages and wards. If you're playing Haven, Temple Defender is pretty much a 2 for 1 90% of the time AND it forces all 1 attack dudes to skip their turn. The only trick is knowing when to stop pushing your luck and just trade it into a 2/1 or 1/1.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Double post, but we did it boys.

Tj7r9cJ.jpg

slMOTmt.jpg

h0TT0or.jpg

I'm new to online CCG's and stumbled upon this game that caught my interest. But before I start, I want to know how viable is not paying any money in this game? Like I don't expect to be a top player or anything, but can I be somewhat competitive in this without paying a dime?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I'm new to online CCG's and stumbled upon this game that caught my interest. But before I start, I want to know how viable is not paying any money in this game? Like I don't expect to be a top player or anything, but can I be somewhat competitive in this without paying a dime?
Out of HS, Duelyst, and this, I found this to be the most generous. You are started off with 40+ packs. By clearing all of the single player content, you have enough gold to buy ~20 more packs and you get about 10 free arena runs which equal to at least 10 more guaranteed packs.

During the day to day, you get 3 quests + 1 reroll + your daily login freebie. This usually adds up to about another pack a day. Compared to HS, where you typically get a 40-60g quest per day, averaging one pack every two days. You also get rewards for playing ranked, but those are a bit harder to quantify in a simple manner.

Finally, you get 8 cards per pack over the usual 5. The flipside is that you can include up to 3 copies of any card instead of 1 or 2. So to answer your question, you can be somewhat competitive without spending money. I've played 25hrs in the last 2 months and I've accrued about 120 packs if you count the freebies, which is about 8 * 120 = 960 cards not counting the default set.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that HS also gives 10 gold per 3 wins. I personally find this amount to be so small that it's not worth "grinding for", but in the spirit of transparency.

gngf123

You could probably get close to having a functional deck just from the tutorial free packs, story unlocks, and the gold from beating the elite AI. This game is very generous.

If you get good then you can easily get cheap packs from playing take two. The game gives you 8-9 tickets to try it.

There's also the daily missions and log in rewards which were mentioned above.

None of them are staples used in nearly every deck but you could use some in specialized builds.

If you have some good golds along them it's probably worth keeping.

I'm about halfway through all the stories, and the game is pretty fun so far. Not quite sure which class I want to main yet for multiplayer, I like a few of them. Also, has this game always been 2nd player draws 2 cards? I think with the extra and earlier evolution point that they wouldn't also need to the extra card to balance it out.

KaoteK

Thanks for the heads up OP, I downloaded this last night and started playing through the story, damn it's good. I love how snappy everything feels especially compared to Gwent which has put me off because it feels pretty unresponsive.

I'm still getting used to the mechanics, but as someone who spends far too much time playing Hearthstone, I feel right at home. Between this, Hearthstone and Dualysts I'm going to be spending too much of my gaming time with CCGs.

Lmao. I made a Rune deck for fun in take two, went 2-3 about as expected, but had the best final game ever. Was up against a Swordcraft, and was down to 3hp, and they had all 20. Then I was able to bring it back with basically the only combination of spell cards that could have brought that back. Was an insane match.

Overall, Haven and Sword seem to be the strongest in take two. Doing both twice, I went 5-0 and 4-1 with both of them. But Rune and Shadow is probably what I have the most fun with. In theory I think I would like Blood's style, but I cant seem to make it work even in story mode lol

Btw, I'm LeafyOwl if anyone runs into me. Though not sure why they don't show player names on the regular battle screen

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Overall, Haven and Sword seem to be the strongest in take two. Doing both twice, I went 5-0 and 4-1 with both of them. But Rune and Shadow is probably what I have the most fun with. In theory I think I would like Blood's style, but I cant seem to make it work even in story mode lol

Btw, I'm LeafyOwl if anyone runs into me. Though not sure why they don't show player names on the regular battle screen
Congrats dude! I think you're correct that Sword and Haven are strongest in TT with Dragon trailing in second. Thing about Haven is that you run the risk of drafting a deck with too many situational amulets/amulet supports.

PM me your friend code (since names are not unique) if you want to do some private drafts. Also the player names show up at the beginning of the match and in the menu mid-match.

gngf123

I apologize for asking the same question again, but I got a different roll. Legendaries are:
Crystalia Tia
Gabriel
Skullfane
Dark Angel Olivia
Bloody Mary
Lord of the Flies
Rose Queen
Mythril Golem

Keep or re-roll? Haven't ever gotten as many as these before.

I would absolutely keep that. Skullfane is kind of rubbish but everything else is good to great.

I apologize for asking the same question again, but I got a different roll. Legendaries are:
Crystalia Tia
Gabriel
Skullfane
Dark Angel Olivia
Bloody Mary
Lord of the Flies
Rose Queen
Mythril Golem

Keep or re-roll? Haven't ever gotten as many as these before.

Keep
Tia, Mary and Lord are super important for their crafts

Built an Earth Rite deck and wow, just wow. This is the kind of deck I've been looking for all my time playing this game.

Guardian Golem is my husbando.

Luigi87

Pre-built decks (aka starter packs) coming on the Dec. 29th update.

One deck for each class (seven total) will be available for 500 crystals the first time and 750 crystals the second time onward.

15540804_1296019113806251_2360560074053403019_o.jpg

gngf123

Woooo, thanks a whole bunch guys. Now to actually learn how to play the game.

Is it a good idea to go "I want this deck (f.e. Forest Tempo deck)" and liquify cards that aren't relevant for that deck, so I can build the deck I want? Like, apparently Tia and Mary are indeed good cards, but one's forest- and the other bloodcraft. Can't build both immediately though, so I have to choose to build one of the two. I guess it would be good to liquify skullfane and golem tho?

That's one way of playing it, and there are people who do that. I generally don't recommend it though. Especially for beginners who are more likely to want to experiment.

I think it's better to play through the story and low ranks with an incomplete deck, building a collection, and then liquifying very specific cards that you don't think you'll ever need once you know how the game works and you have a very specific deck in mind.

When I started I used the cards I had and then used the vials from a liquified skullfane to complete a banner sword deck. I kept my Tia's and everything else in case I wanted to play forest or another craft later.

Blade25

Is it a good idea to go "I want this deck (f.e. Forest Tempo deck)" and liquify cards that aren't relevant for that deck, so I can build the deck I want? Like, apparently Tia and Mary are indeed good cards, but one's forest- and the other bloodcraft. Can't build both immediately though, so I have to choose to build one of the two. I guess it would be good to liquify skullfane and golem tho?

I wouldn't recommend it. You will come across dailies where you have you win matches as other classes. You may have to improve other decks too. Unless you want to go all in and grind it out, I'd recommend you maybe use the vials on bronze and some silver cards.

4Tran

I'm taking a slight breather from Duelyst, and I picked up Shadowverse a couple of days ago. So far, while it is a Hearthstone clone, it's a vastly better game than Hearthstone aspires to be. The Evolve mechanic alone does a lot to bring back the player agency that Hearthstone sorely lacks. So questionable artwork aside, it's shaping up to be a pretty decent game.

I'm playing on Steam, and I rolled up only a few legendaries, and most of them were pretty crummy:

Beast Dominator
Skullfane
Dark Angel Olivia
Queen Vampire
Enstatued Seraph

While the game does throw a lot of packs to the player, it seems that it's going to take a long time before you can start crafting those key legendaries. How long would it take to build up a top-notch deck if you don't pay any money in, and aggressively disenchant cards? I've seen some decks in the 30000 Vial range.

You're probably more experienced than me at this game, so I'm just going to generalize on F2P CCGs. You'll definitely build your ideal deck a lot faster by getting rid of all other classes, but I find it a bit dull to just stick with one deck all the time, so I generally find it more interesting to collect multiple factions simultaneously. Even though I don't have very good legendaries, I managed to scrape up a halfway decent Dragoncraft deck that's almost out of the beginner ranks. I'd imagine that it'll do okay for a while, and I'm going to dabble with Sword and Forest in the meanwhile.

Luigi87

Watching Vindi stream tonight (I watch every night) and won $10 USD Steam card in a draw he did.
Going right towards crystals, lol

4Tran

I tried Take Two for the first time, and I got 4 wins! Is it just me or is Swordcraft crazy overpowered in that mode? The only loss I had was against another Swordcraft deck, and most of the other decks I faced had no chance. Everyone else needs different combo pieces to get going while all I needed was a guy and another guy.

EDIT: To add to this, I managed to finally pull another legendary, and it was an Elder Elf! To justify it, I went and made a Forestcraft deck. And now with my Dragons, Swords, and Forests, I'm on a 13-game win streak. Sure, this is in the low D ranks, but it's still not bad for literally starting out a couple of days ago.

I see. It's mostly that I'm still kind of lacking on certain cards for some builds. I'll just grind out story mode and see how many cards I can build up total before I start liquifying things.

I'll liquify the two abovementioned legendaries, as no matter where I look, everyone seems to think they're trash. The rest I won't touch.
It's really not that hard to build workable decks for the lower ranks. I literally started a couple of days ago and I've got a Dragoncraft Ramp deck that's stomping faces in Beginner 3, and I've almost completed a Swordcraft Banner deck.

gngf123

I tried Take Two for the first time, and I got 4 wins! Is it just me or is Swordcraft crazy overpowered in that mode? The only loss I had was against another Swordcraft deck, and most of the other decks I faced had no chance. Everyone else needs different combo pieces to get going while all I needed was a guy and another guy.

EDIT: To add to this, I managed to finally pull another legendary, and it was an Elder Elf! To justify it, I went and made a Forestcraft deck. And now with my Dragons, Swords, and Forests, I'm on a 13-game win streak. Sure, this is in the low D ranks, but it's still not bad for literally starting out a couple of days ago.

It's really not that hard to build workable decks for the lower ranks. I literally started a couple of days ago and I've got a Dragoncraft Ramp deck that's stomping faces in Beginner 3, and I've almost completed a Swordcraft Banner deck.

I wouldn't say Sword is crazy overpowered, but yeah it's just so easy to build a decent deck with it in arena. Officer/Commander combos which are easy to pull off and great on curve plays like Floral Fencer. It's definitely the best class in arena.

Good job on the 13 game win streak! Soon you'll be up in the B and A ranks where things get interesting.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Good job on the 13 game win streak! Soon you'll be up in the B and A ranks where things get interesting.
I see this sentiment a lot, but ever since I hit C0-1, roughly 70% of my opponents are playing Elana Seraph. Since my two best decks are budget Ramp Dragon and Banner Sword, I feel like shit has already gotten real.

Luigi87

I see this sentiment a lot, but ever since I hit C0-1, roughly 70% of my opponents are playing Elana Seraph. Since my two best decks are budget Ramp Dragon and Banner Sword, I feel like shit has already gotten real.
This is true, and seems to be a sentiment on Reddit lately. The more the player count increases, the earlier it seems meta decks (or at least budget or incomplete versions of them) are appearing.

4Tran

I wouldn't say Sword is crazy overpowered, but yeah it's just so easy to build a decent deck with it in arena. Officer/Commander combos which are easy to pull off and great on curve plays like Floral Fencer. It's definitely the best class in arena.

It really helps to be in the lower ranks for fulfilling missions. I had a near-hopeless Shadowcraft deck squeak in a victory purely because of the weaker opposition.

I'm doing another Take Two right now, and Dragoncraft is a lot weaker than Swordcraft. There are way more bad cards or cards that can't be used to their potential. The last game my opponent had me down to one while he was still at 8. He also had 4 followers on the board after clearing my Prince of Darkness. My next draw? The 6-mana 8/8 with Storm! That's the most lopsided match that I've ever stolen in this game. Hell, I don't even know what the Apocalypse cards are yet!

It's bad idea - you get gold in this game by doing daily missions and most of them involve winning with different crafts.

So it's much better to have 4-5 budget versions of decks than one loaded with legendaries.

Plus it's not needed to progress - my best deck has 2 legends and I already got to A0

gngf123

It really helps to be in the lower ranks for fulfilling missions. I had a near-hopeless Shadowcraft deck squeak in a victory purely because of the weaker opposition.

I'm doing another Take Two right now, and Dragoncraft is a lot weaker than Swordcraft. There are way more bad cards or cards that can't be used to their potential. The last game my opponent had me down to one while he was still at 8. He also had 4 followers on the board after clearing my Prince of Darkness. My next draw? The 6-mana 8/8 with Storm! That's the most lopsided match that I've ever stolen in this game. Hell, I don't even know what the Apocalypse cards are yet!

You are right, it does. Ranking up too quickly does make it harder. When I started I played a lot of unranked while I got used to things.

Damn. The one time I used Satan, he blessed me with two 13/13's just when I really needed nearly anything else.

The apocalypse deck is pretty powerful, and consists of just 10 cards:

Astaroth's Reckoning
10-cost Spell
Deal damage to the enemy leader until their defense drops to 1.

Dis's Damnation x3
7-cost Spell
Deal 7 damage to an enemy. Restore 7 defense to your leader.

Satan's Servant x3
5-cost Follower
13/13

Silent Rider x3
6-cost Follower
Storm
8/8

4Tran

You are right, it does. Ranking up too quickly does make it harder. When I started I played a lot of unranked while I got used to things.

Damn. The one time I used Satan, he blessed me with two 13/13's just when I really needed nearly anything else.

The apocalypse deck is pretty powerful, and consists of just 10 cards:
Thanks. It looks like I had a decent chance of drawing a Silent Rider anyways - my hand was trash, but it did have a Dragon Counsel in it. Of course, I got matched up with three Swordcraft decks in a row and I ended my run at 3-2.

In the future, I might end up picking Dragons third after Swords and Forests. Some of the other factions might be stronger on, but I just don't have very much experience with them.

Not planning on doing that. I was just looking around and saw everywhere that Skullfane and Mythril Golem are almost never used in any decent deck. I'm short on a few cards for the deck I want (no legendaries) and was just thinking about whether I should liquefy those two and keep the rest as I try to build one deck.

Coin has no other use than just buying card packs, right?
Tickets are only used for buying whatever they're for, and gold can either buy card packs or Take Two entries (Shadowverse's version of Arena). If you're good at the game, but have limited cards, Take Two may be a more efficient use of your gold. Just make sure to take Swordcraft or Forestcraft if they're available.

MrDoctor

Not planning on doing that. I was just looking around and saw everywhere that Skullfane and Mythril Golem are almost never used in any decent deck. I'm short on a few cards for the deck I want (no legendaries) and was just thinking about whether I should liquefy those two and keep the rest as I try to build one deck.

Coin has no other use than just buying card packs, right?
you can spend it on cosmetics as well. 500 for an alt leader

Top Bottom