• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowverse |OT| Anime Hearthstone now on Steam

4Tran

Bloodcraft deck got spoiled and alt. art is Vampire Queen

And the contents are also very solid

Vampire Queen, Mary, Vania, Dire Bond, Righteous Devil, Revelation, Temptress Vampire
I don't know quite how the legendaries stack up, but this is probably the most solid collections of Gold Cards yet. Not only are they all playable, they're all pretty darned good for Control Blood. Now we just have to wait for Levi and Merlin to be revealed for Runecraft.

That vampire queen card looks so good, make me want to put her in my aggro blood deck.
I had a Vampire Queen in my Aggro Blood deck, but I took her out because she wasn't providing what I needed out of a 6-drop. At that point in the game, I'm looking for a bit of extra reach to close out the game so something like Imp Lancer is a better fit.

Luigi87

tfw you open a pack, and 6/8 of the cards you already have 3 of.

bluh. On the upside, I'm copying a guy from reddit and using a Google Docs sheet to catalog my collection, so I can keep track of it, and know when I go over 3 (since I'm liquifying any non-animated if my totals exceed three with animated cards)

Isn't that overkill ?

I just go through my collection once in a while and remove duplicates of stuff I have animated.

I hope they will add option to liquefy extras that would count and+animated against limit.

Luigi87

A bit overkill, but it's simple enough.
The guy also scripted it so the cells will calculate your collection completion percentage, as well as how many vials it would take to craft the remaining cards.

4Tran

I've been playing Shadowverse for about a week now, and I'm happy to report that it's a pretty good game. While it's blatantly a Hearthstone clone, the differences in mechanics mean that the game plays quite differently and without many of the pitfalls that Hearthstone falls under. It's even more impressive that none of the decks really play like Hearthstone decks.

I get the feeling that a lot of the players I'm facing don't seem to understand how Aggro decks work in Shadowverse, and how they're fundamentally different from Aggro decks in other games. In most CCGs, Aggro decks work by playing low-cost efficient minions to take control the board in the first few turns and to attack face whenever possible. The goal is to get the opponent low enough that they can't both try to take over the board and to survive whatever burst you have. It's pretty oppressive because you're grinding the opponent down and building up a dangerous board at the same time.

In Shadowverse, the goal of an Aggro deck is to chip away at your opponent's health and gain small advantages in the early game to build up a bit of a board. And then, once the time's right, you burst the opponent for a ton of damage and win within a turn or two of doing that. So even if the board and health situation doesn't look particularly favorable to an Aggro player in a given board state, he might be actually on the cusp of victory. There are a few factors about Shadowverse that it different. The first is that players only start out with 20 health, so even a couple of 2/2s can be very threatening, the second is that, like Hearthstone, the attacker gets to assign damage, and the third is that you can always use your evolution points to add an extra 2-point burst for 0 power points. And so, if you are facing an Aggro deck, you have to prioritize eliminating your opponent's followers and putting up Wards. You can't afford to be complacent just because your health total still seems comfortable.

Case in point, in my last game, I was playing Aggro Blood against an Elana player. I went first, and at the start of my opponent's Turn 4, I had a Cursebrand Vampire, an Ambling Wraith, and a Mini Soul Devil while he had an Elana; we were both at 16 health. Probably thinking he was safe, he played another Elana and passed the turn. And lost the game right there. I used my first evolution point to evolve the Wraith and attacked (3 damage), I attacked with the Vampire (1 damage), I attacked with the Devil (3 damage), and she pinged for the evolve (1 damage), and I cast Demonic Strike (3 damage) - a total of 11 damage! With the gobs of out of hand damage an Aggro Blood player runs and the board state, there's basically no way to mount a comeback.

TLDR: I'm winning a lot of games because my opponents are misplaying against my Aggro decks. Please don't do that when you face them.

gngf123

Going double Elana with an empty board against aggro blood is super greedy aha.

It's kind of a problem generally with Elana/Seraph that you can start a little slow. Plea -> Aria -> Elana can be a perfect opening but against a good aggro deck you can find yourself barely holding on by the time you've got a follower on board.

Going for even more is suicide.

4Tran

Going double Elana with an empty board against aggro blood is super greedy aha.

It's kind of a problem generally with Elana/Seraph that you can start a little slow. Plea -> Aria -> Elana can be a perfect opening but against a good aggro deck you can find yourself barely holding on by the time you've got a follower on board.

Going for even more is suicide.
Wow, I think I found an opponent who just topped that. I was playing against an Aggro Blood deck that played a Dire Bond on turn 4 while he was at 12 health! Sure, I only had a Midnight Vampire on board, but surely he must know that that really represents 3 damage, and that it's extremely easy for my Aggro Blood deck to find 3 extra damage.

Maybe he gambled on the only thing that could give him fighting chance.

Well anyway in A0 I was meeting so much Dimension Shift runes that playing my still rather budget purgatory decks became painful - So i said enough is enough and switched to banner sword :D

Now my life have never been easier - just finished nice 10 win streak that took me from A0 to A1 and today balance is 8 wins out of 9 games (1 win was Garuda storm heaven to do daily)

4Tran

Maybe he gambled on the only thing that could give him fighting chance.
I suspect that wasn't the case. He had a 1/2 on the board to my 1/4, we had similar life totals, similar number of cards, and we were even playing the same kind of deck. The only thing I can figure is that he didn't think that I would use up an evolve just to push 2 extra damage, and I see a lot of other people making that same kind of mistake. The game just prior to that one, I even finished off my opponent with two evolved bats.

Well anyway in A0 I was meeting so much Dimension Shift runes that playing my still rather budget purgatory decks became painful - So i said enough is enough and switched to banner sword :D

Now my life have never been easier - just finished nice 10 win streak that took me from A0 to A1 and today balance is 8 wins out of 9 games (1 win was Garuda storm heaven to do daily)
Yeah, it's pretty crazy how overpowered Banner Sword is. It's stronger than every Aggro deck out there, it's not particularly vulnerable to board wipes, and it craps all over control decks. The only major weakness seems to be a deck that runs an awful lot of wards or one that somehow manages to outheal the incoming damage.

There are a bunch of different Banner Sword builds out there, but the alternates all seem to be a lot weaker than the simplest one that runs 3x Royal Banner and no other commanders. The deck is a bit one dimensional though, so I've been mostly playing Aggro Blood instead. It's not as strong, but I still get crazy win rates; probably because no one seems to know how to play against it.

I play 2 Avant Bladers instead of Conscription - they trade perfectly with evolved 4 cost minions and you always get 2 cards without having to play Royal Banner.

4Tran

The preconstructed Runecraft deck has been revealed. The legendaries are alt Merlin and Mythril Golem, and the golds are Levi, Dimension Shift, First Curse, Rimewind, and Fire Chain. Honestly, it's not a particularly great deck, but it does have some key cards if you're interested in Spellboost Runecraft. Of all the preconstructed decks, the strongest are probably Forest and Blood.

I play 2 Avant Bladers instead of Conscription - they trade perfectly with evolved 4 cost minions and you always get 2 cards without having to play Royal Banner.
I tried Avant Bladers out but I found that they made the deck weaker because Maid Leaders would tutor for them instead of the Royal Banner. It's the same reason why I took out Aurelia. And because, in an aggro deck, there is no commander that's nearly as good as Royal Banner. The biggest reason other than that crazy buff is that almost no one runs amulet removal. I'll usually try to play it as soon as possible, even if only to buff up a single follower.

Blade25

I've tried doing research but I can't find a clear answer regarding the prebuilt decks.
I know you are limited to three purchases, but is that 3 purchases in total for your account, or 3 per deck?

I'm not planning on buying all the prebuilts 3x but I am interested in getting 3 Shadowcraft because I need that stupid Cerberus card >_>

4Tran

I've tried doing research but I can't find a clear answer regarding the prebuilt decks.
I know you are limited to three purchases, but is that 3 purchases in total for your account, or 3 per deck?

I'm not planning on buying all the prebuilts 3x but I am interested in getting 3 Shadowcraft because I need that stupid Cerberus card >_>
It's 500 crystals for the first copy of any deck, and 750 for subsequent ones, so a full set is 2000 crystals. You can collect 3 of each of the different decks if you want. At least the Shadowcraft deck is pretty good.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Too bad you don't got to choose which legendary you get, I really want to build Forest Rose for fun. I need 3 copies of Rose Thorns.

I made it to B1, my aggro blood is doing very well, almost 90% win against Haven and Rune. Sword with ward really screw me up tho.

Luigi87

omg, playing a match. I had lethal, but I accidentally played my Nature's Guidance instead of my Gabriel because I'm so tired and didn't realize what I clicked.

Edit: Won 3-4 turns later, but jeez that was dumb of me @_@

On steam version ? Choosing cards is bit fucked up so it's very easy to make accidental misplays.

edit: got to A2 so my plan of reaching AA0 before end of month will be easy to make.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
The more I play constructed, the more I feel like P2's third evo isn't really the problem. If I curve out well as P1, they'll need the extra evo to catch up. The problem is that as P1, I have a much, much lower chance of having the perfect draw. I'd be interested to see P1 either drawing two on their first turn or even maybe just mulligan 4, draw 0.

Luigi87

The more I play constructed, the more I feel like P2's third evo isn't really the problem. If I curve out well as P1, they'll need the extra evo to catch up. The problem is that as P1, I have a much, much lower chance of having the perfect draw. I'd be interested to see P1 either drawing two on their first turn or even maybe just mulligan 4, draw 0.

See that I could get behind.
It's really not just that P2 gets that extra evo, but like you said they also get that extra draw, which I personally find to be far more beneficial.
While P2 can occasionally have a turn 4 evo, when P1 I can often still recover, sometimes not even needing to spend my own evo if i have the right card in hand to react, but it would be much easier if P1 had either of what you suggest just to increase the chances of a better curve.

4Tran

I've been mostly using offball decks in Unranked recently, and I've been getting somewhat mixed results. I've experimented with a whole bunch of different Aggro Sword decks and they all seem significantly weaker than the one that I'm actually trying with. It seems as if they're filled with cards that just cost a bit too much or I've got Officers but not the Commanders to empower them, or I've got Commanders without the proper Officers to buff. I'll keep trying them out, but it just feels like something is lacking.

Another deck I'm trying to pull off is some sort of Aggro Forestcraft, but I don't think that I quite have the cards to execute it properly. Still, that deck has been winning decently, so I may be onto something.

And when I'm laddering I'm currently on a 12-game win streak. I haven't lost with my Banner Sword deck in ages, and the Aggro Blood is responsible for 9 of those 12 wins. I feel that, depending on the deck you're using, B- rank isn't any harder than C- rank. One thing that I wish would be better about the game is the rate at which you get rarer cards. I'm in B2 right now, and I still only have 7 legendaries, and it's been forever since I opened one - probably from 12-15 packs. But when I played Duelyst today, I bought 19 packs and got 4 legendaries right off!

omg, playing a match. I had lethal, but I accidentally played my Nature's Guidance instead of my Gabriel because I'm so tired and didn't realize what I clicked.

Edit: Won 3-4 turns later, but jeez that was dumb of me @_@
I've had a case where my Blood Wolf didn't register the attack to face and I didn't realize it until I clicked the End Turn button. Even worse, my opponent was down to 2 health when I lost.

See that I could get behind.
It's really not just that P2 gets that extra evo, but like you said they also get that extra draw, which I personally find to be far more beneficial.
While P2 can occasionally have a turn 4 evo, when P1 I can often still recover, sometimes not even needing to spend my own evo if i have the right card in hand to react, but it would be much easier if P1 had either of what you suggest just to increase the chances of a better curve.
The problem comes in the combination of extra draw, extra evolve point, and earlier evolve timing. Not being able to evolve a Power-4 card on curve is a big hit especially if it's your main evolve target in the deck. To be fair, most CCGs have a big balance issue between first and second player, but Shadowverse has given too much of an advantage to player 2. I think that the most balanced CCG right now is Duelyst, and they solve the problem by giving player 2 more starting mana. But it's not a feature that's easily replicated by anyone else since the game involves fighting over extra mana. Giving player 1 an extra card would go a long way in redressing that.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
i4tf0Gh.jpg

Finally, I almost thought I wouldn't make it before the season end, playing nothing but brainless Blood Bat Aggro. Beginning to B2 was so easy for aggro deck, 90% of people are playing Seraph Haven and Dimension Rune.

After B2 suddenly Seraph and Dimension deck stopped showing up, and everyone are playing mid-range sword, face dragon, aggro forest and storm haven. It is almost a guarantee lost if I can't summon a monster every turn from turn 1 to 3, even if I managed to have perfect hand, I never get any board control, and only won because I had a lucky final draw.

I think I need a new deck if I want to keep climbing, I guess I will wait patiently for the prebuild decks and see what I can build.

gngf123

1wslm5oev36y.png

10 free Rise of the Bahamut packs at launch.

So, how many Bahamut packs are you guys thinking of opening? Including the 10 free packs, I'm probably going to open about 30 on launch day.

Pooya

I mostly played take two until now, put together a shitty swordcraft deck and I'm almost to A now. It's pretty fun, I miss quite a few cards for tier 1 midrange swordcraft deck but it still feels like I have a chance against other decks even with my bad swaps. I hope the new set doesn't my mess up my deck too much. Is it coming tomorrow?

Also swapped the audio files for JP, holy shit the translation in this game sucks. It's not even a translation. "mother father cmon", wtf really?

gngf123

Calling it a "translation" is apparently bending the truth a little. I've heard the dialogue changes quite a lot, especially for Luna.

Luigi87

Confirmation of free packs is nice.

Edit: So far I have 3275 rupies, so I might not even spend that all on RoB cards now... maybe I'll buy leader Forte or Vania.

It was separate special event last time.

I've got 6k gold saved but I think I'll go with 30 packs first and see how much stuff I'm missing.

I'm more excited about preconstructed decks instead of RoB itself.

4Tran

I'm way too new to consider the new expansion, but an extra 10 packs sounds really cool to me. I'm still missing a lot of key Golds and Silvers so I'm still putting all my gold into Standard packs. Then again, given my luck with pulls, I still won't get anything good from the free packs - I'm still sitting on the 7 legendaries I've had almost 20 packs ago.

Does anyone else find this expansion rather uninteresting?

I'm way too new to consider the new expansion, but an extra 10 packs sounds really cool to me. I'm still missing a lot of key Golds and Silvers so I'm still putting all my gold into Standard packs. Then again, given my luck with pulls, I still won't get anything good from the free packs - I'm still sitting on the 7 legendaries I've had almost 20 packs ago.

Shadowverse has probably given me 100 free packs since I started playing. It's a ridiculously generous game.

Blade25

I'm trying to grind away from A1 to A2 but having some trouble facing off against all the deck archtypes.

It got to the point where they brought me back to A0. I thought you couldn't de-rank, but I guess it's from A to B, or B to C Rank etc.

I miss my win streak bonuses :(

4Tran

Does anyone else find this expansion rather uninteresting?
Yeah, it feels like they're trying to do something a bit more tuned down. It's definitely less encouragement to a new player to invest in the new expansion though.

Shadowverse has probably given me 100 free packs since I started playing. It's a ridiculously generous game.
On the number of packs, Shadowverse has been good; heck, even great. And the 8 cards per pack are highly appreciated. My issue though is with the drop rate on the rarer cards. It may just be my luck, but I've seen very few legendaries. I haven't had too much trouble on ladder despite this, but I'm stuck playing the cheap Aggro decks and they're a bit one dimensional. I actually find myself spending more time playing goofy decks on Unranked instead.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
So for the new year they are also giving away 1200 coins. This is so generous, but knowing my luck I won't get any legendary that I need.

On the number of packs, Shadowverse has been good; heck, even great. And the 8 cards per pack are highly appreciated. My issue though is with the drop rate on the rarer cards. It may just be my luck, but I've seen very few legendaries. I haven't had too much trouble on ladder despite this, but I'm stuck playing the cheap Aggro decks and they're a bit one dimensional. I actually find myself spending more time playing goofy decks on Unranked instead.

There's around 1,5% chance for Legendary per each card so on average 1 in each 8 packs but of course at rate so low there's going to be huge periods without getting one.

4Tran

There's around 1,5% chance for Legendary per each card so on average 1 in each 8 packs but of course at rate so low there's going to be huge periods without getting one.
I must be on an unlucky streak. Still, it'd help if either the rates were a bit higher or if it was a bit cheaper to craft them. Right now, it takes up almost 4.5 legendaries to get the one you want.

True, Duelyst has a better drop rate. I've seen both epics and legendaries in the same orb more than once.
I just opened a pack with two legendaries in it. It was an exciting second until I saw they were just a Dreadnought and a Morin-Khur. Oh well, it's 78% of the way to something good instead!

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Looking at card list for RoB, all those AOE are scaring the shit out of me. I know they really want more cards to counter otohime, but this will take down my bat aggro deck along with it =/

Oh, server maintenance extended till 7pm PT? Hope they hit that time. Very cool they are giving us 10 free RoB packs along with 1100 free rupies

Top Bottom