• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old games with "photorealistic" graphics

RoadHazard

Gold Member
For some reason it feels like the games are extremely polish in one area at the expense of looking really poor in another. GT3 as I remember was extremely consistent and had none of these jarring elements. The only sort of give away that I remember the game having back then was that on headlight close ups you could tell they were 2D textures instead of being modeled.

Probably because a single "premium" car model from GT5+ is more complex and detailed than the entirety of GT3. Ok, that might be a slight exaggeration, but you get the point.

emag

SNES Wheel of Fortune
49915_back.jpg

Mr_Zombie

Well, I mean... I can believe you're being sincere... but I honestly can't see how anyone can look at Silent Hill 3 against a lot of the stuff that we have these days, and be of the opinion that SH3 has better faces either in regards to the modelling itself or the animations, than current games. When the faces in SH3 move, I can practically see the limited bones they have at their disposal in order to move their eyes and lips (with pretty much everything else being as rigid as wood).

I agree with you that SH3 face animation has been surpassed this gen and in some cases last gen. However, I'm still in love with them, with how good and realistic the animation look (especially given it's a PS2 game), with lots of nuances, small in-perfections and little details that give those characters life.

Dante83

Banned
PS2 GT3 definitely blew me away, especially the night stage with water on the road, and you could hear the tyres grinding on the water-filled road. It also had the smoothest 60 fps replay I have ever seen at that time. When GT4 came out, it had some frame rate/tearing issues on the replays that took away from the awesome feel, and most modern racing sims now always have 30 fps replay. GT3 was ahead of its time, and showcased the ps2's power back in the day.

Probably because a single "premium" car model from GT5+ is more complex and detailed than the entirety of GT3. Ok, that might be a slight exaggeration, but you get the point.

It probably is, but the whole thing falls apart when you got those same GT3 cars running beside them and the shadows look like staircases.

Gorger

Street Fighter : The Movie (Arcade game):
maxresdefault.jpg

I remember I saw this in an arcade in Greece and I couldn't believe how real it look like.

Toonstruck:
140865-Toonstruck_(CD_Windows)-6.png

Real like actor (Christopher Loyd) in a Cartoon world ala Roger Rabbit.

Harvester:

pc-44566-21341128839.png

A lot of point and click adventures blended in real life actors in the mid 90's. This is easily one of the fucked up games ever made.

Riven:

f6843e7e19108411c79a85b2f61ddc28.jpg

Looks good even today. Imagine how it was back in 1997

The Last Express:
the-last-express-anna-robert1.jpg

5E8684A9C1284C71E21E2DF3C572552623E3A528

TLE_Rotoscope_Example.png

1FD040471F38E9033DCCFFA0289BD209550CF75B

It was a cartoon game, but they filmed and made everything with real actors then drew it in making all the characters look very real and lifelike. One of my favorite games of all time.

Phantasmagoria:

672301.jpg

phan2.jpg

Again blending real actors who's performing in front of a bluescreen. This was the first FMV game I played, and it blew my mind back in the days.

Tex Murphy:

pandora-directive-04.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Tex Murphy went a slightly different way where they created complete 3D environments for you to explore in first person view and blended it in with FMV cutscenes.

The Black Dahlia:
hqdefault.jpg

pc-60095-71436002677.jpg

135_4.jpg

Black-Dahlia-hopper.jpg

One of the last FMV games to be made during the golden age of point and click adventures. This was probably one of the highest budged FMV game and came with like 8 CD's. (...and yes that is Dennis Hopper sitting in that chair in case you were wondering)

owasog

Riven:

f6843e7e19108411c79a85b2f61ddc28.jpg

Looks good even today. Imagine how it was back in 1997
I feel like it's only recently that this level of quality has been matched by realtime graphics . Not counting resolution and texture quality of course because those are shit in Riven when you look closely.

When I played the original Unreal it looked almost photorealistic to me. I don't know why because I also played Riven the year before and that looks a million times better to me now.

unreal_gold_nali_castle_gif_by_cory_corpse-d9phy3s.gif

Soul Calibur on Dreamcast. i remember when i showed this to my cousin he totally freaked out "this is like real life". it really looked crazy.

hlBJigG.jpg

tbh, i rarely had that feeling. maybe when i saw scud race in the arcade for the first time, or shenmue later on dc. i don't know.

sn00zer

Soul Calibur on Dreamcast. i remember when i showed this to my cousin he totally freaked out "this is like real life". it really looked crazy.

hlBJigG.jpg

tbh, i rarely had that feeling. maybe when i saw scud race in the arcade for the first time, or shenmue later on dc. i don't know.
I remember seeing this in arcades for the first time and I could not believe how good it looked. I remember just staring at it thinking it was just the best looking game I had ever seen.

Nokterian

I feel like it's only recently that this level of quality has been matched by realtime graphics . Not counting resolution and texture quality of course because those are shit in Riven when you look closely.

When I played the original Unreal it looked almost photorealistic to me. I don't know why because I also played Riven the year before and that looks a million times better to me now.

unreal_gold_nali_castle_gif_by_cory_corpse-d9phy3s.gif

Unreal on 3dfx Voodoo 1 videocard blew me and my dad away.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Man... I remember all the previews for that game and how being able to zoom in and snipe things at a distance was like a pretty new, groundbreaking thing. The MDK games were cool af, I love the world premise they had with the giant harvesting mobile citadels steamrolling the earth, the kind of humorously ogreish aliens, and then the sequel went bonkers with some cool, comic book-ish style on Dreamcast. Halo jumoing in through all the lazer fire was sick. Such a unique main character design too.

I never understood how his parachute thingy worked :D

To actually contribute something useful to the thread. Max Payne 1 blew me away when it first came out. One of the first games I can recall that actually used photographs for the textures.

W7C97XB.jpg

BcuvOMz.jpg

kgsQ3UL.jpg

rOJmyM3.jpg

Yeah, good shout. To be fair, everything about it was amazing.

Hyrule Scare in OoT blew my mind back in the day, especially the cobblestone textures in the backstreets. I thought they looked like real life.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Have to echo GT3. First game I got on the PS2.

No game has amazed me nearly as much ever since.

Zambayoshi

Samantha Fox Strip Poker was the first time I thought that the graphics looked super realistic. That was 1986 on my C64...
130324-samantha-fox-strip-poker-commodore-64-screenshot-winning-so.png

LeleSocho

Banned

hlBJigG.jpg

I think Virtua Fighter 3 on Model 3 had a much bigger wow factor for that genre, it doesn't look as good as Soul Calibur but it was released in 1996 a full 2 years before it.
VF3 in 96 was like someone came from the future to show how realistic games will end up looking like.

Hesh

tumblr_n6dxj3enP51tcerr8o1_500.gif

James Sunderland looking at himself in the mirror at the beginning of Silent Hill 2 always blew me away.

nkarafo

My first "photorealistic" experience was with Porsche Challenge on PS1, before Gran Turismo.

playstation-32699-31315811993.jpg

Racing games in general reached photo-real status earlier than any other genre ΙΜΟ.

Airola

I played Space Pirates in the early 90's on cruise ship trips.

RIsyrJn.jpg

Hard to see realism anywhere else when you've been shooting real people in real environments.

z93L3Sh.jpg

eso76

700706-927245_20051118_002.jpg

Going from racing games in the previous gens, playing PGR3 blew my mind and that was the last time I was so impressed about a games graphics.

Tbh I don't think I've ever seen any racer quite like it when looking at parts of the scenery. I would just be in photo mode for hours and look at the buildings in Tokyo and NY and at times it looked 100% real, probably mostly thanks to textures being actual photographs, but still.

Wouldn't consider it old though.
Gt1 replays would be my pick.

Top Bottom