• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old games with "photorealistic" graphics

Surfinn

My first ever HOLY SHIT moment with a game was the original Dark Forces. I thought that game looked fucking incredible. Pure gaming nirvana

Crysis in many respects still holds up today. Game was the biggest jump I've ever seen in graphical fidelity. I remember running it at 640x480 on low, trudging along at 5 FPS and thinking "it doesn't get any better than this".

Max Payne, as others have said, was a huge jump. That 3D Mark Matrix bank scene benchmark will always live on in my mind.

NFL/NBA 2k looked photorealistic, for the time. They were also incredible games.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I'm appalled by the lack Ace Combat in this thread. I mean AC4 even mentioned photorealistic environments on the back of the box.

8142966_f1024.jpg

acecombat04_ps2review_inline_01.jpg

latest

AC5 looked even better:

latest

hqdefault.jpg

I remember being blown away by the intro in Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen.

I don't think it was even impressive for the time, but it was the first game that I bought for the PS1 after being out of gaming for a few years (I think Earthbound was the last game I had played prior to Blood Omen).

KonradLaw

Been such a long time since I played this game. It's a bizarre relic of the nineties, the kind of thing you'd never see boxed and sold at retail nowadays, if sold at all. Very moody and gorgeous in its own way. It would appeal to people who like Ethan Carter and the like.

Dark Eye is a pure masterpiece, Whenever somebody asks "can games be art", there's still no better answer than "yes, play Dark Eye"

MTC100

Banned
In 1996 Bad Mojo did something interesting, scanning and digitizing actual locations, items, insects and animals in 640x480 resolution. Most photorealistic game of the decade

article_post_open-uri20120225-30172-hmcczh

ss_b453562195ec93c72938e094f92fe0aafc973ce2.1920x1080.jpg

badmojopic.jpg

08bmojo2.jpg

badmojo-4.png

One question though: You were playing as that cockroach, right? xD

Fuchsdh

Riven:

f6843e7e19108411c79a85b2f61ddc28.jpg

Looks good even today. Imagine how it was back in 1997

Riven is a great example. Myst was a lot more exaggerated and cartoonish in its style, whereas Riven still holds up well aside from things like dithering issues.

I didn't play Riven until later though, so my pick is Myst 3: Exile.

The fact that you could freely pan the camera instead of static stills was a huge factor in it feeling so lifelike. The only thing that doesn't really hold up now is the SD compositing of the live action characters.

I think hologram Time Traveler, Pit Fighter and Mortal Kombat games were my first "photorealistic" games.

And this is just me, but I never thought once that the characters in, say, Soul Caliber or Shenmue looked "realistic". They always looked like stylized "doll people" to me, even back then. It is like the CG of Squall and crew in FFVIII, sure they look more "realistic" as far as they were able to make, but not photorealistic. I feel similar to many of the Musou games, where a lot of the characters still have a fakey-realistic look to them. I guess it is similar to when people talk about stylized realism in games, but I think that stylization keeps it from attaining a photorealistic look, at least in my eyes.

Love the face-tear death scene. How they shot it and the SFX, damn, that is brutal.

Flight sims were always the titles that pushed this the most for me. The first time I thought a game was photorealistic was when I saw Flight Unlimited in 1995

pc-65537-31463500658.png

Damn, that looks great. It's just a texture map though isn't it? You can't actually fly down into the buildings can you?

Jinroh

There was a first person shooter released on PC between 1994 and 1996 that looked very realistic in urban environments, but I just can't find the name anymore, very frustrating.

This was setup in I believe it was Sears circa '94/early '95. I was completely blown away at the graphics and the speed of the game.

Atari_Jaguar_Val_d%27Is%C3%A8re_Skiing_and_Snowboarding_box_art.jpeg

val_d%27isere_skiing_and_snowboarding.jpg

I literally thought to myself, this is the best gaming graphics will ever get.

Chessr

The first time i in a magazine saw a picture from a driving game, where u with the new Hercules Prophet card could see the licenseplate numbers and letters.
I did read that article multiple times :)
Good times.

I havent really been impressed with something else. I just expect it now.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Seeing VF3 for the first time. There was no comparison to it at the time. It was a generation ahead of every game in visuals.

westman

I remember having that reaction when I saw the ads for Saucer Attack, a C64 game. Really impressive given the small color palette and other limitations (attribute clash etc) of the C64. Not very fun to actually play, though.

Fight night round 3 made me get a 360 in early 2006 -

kGVxz8Z.png

but it was Fifa 98 that made my mom and uncle think i was watching real soccer -

zmTNDNB.jpg

silva1991

Tomb Raider, Resident Evil and MGS on PS1 has always been the first few realistic looking games for me as a kid and that made them look creepier somehow back in the day haha

028A016D2253796-c2-photo-oYToxOntzOjE6InciO2k6NjUwO30%3D-metal-gear-solid.jpg

training05.jpg

residentevil1-2.jpg

Mortal Kombat in 1991 definitely looked like photo-realistic graphics

Fatalities were a draw-card, but it was the realistic graphics first and foremost that drew me towards it

petran79

Banned
One question though: You were playing as that cockroach, right? xD

Yes. At one point in the game you even carried a baby roach on your back to help it escape from some sticky burned fat in an oven.

You even stepped on blood, sticky surfaces or glitchery surfaces on the bathroom and you even walked on the bar tenants face while he was sleeping. Walking SFX were unforgettable.

Hadnt seen a game focusing on such detail before.

The first few Madden games on PS3/360 looked amazing at the time and in screenshots still look pretty good. Too bad they looked and played like trash in motion. Graphics were good but animation was trash.

Crayon

If you squint a little, that actually looks like a pixelated real photograph, damn

It was a good effect at the time. That game was there for the us launch of ps1 and it was often described as photorealistic. It's stablemate Wipeout was considered the real graphical showcase, but Destruction Derby's realistic style and the physics and collision and number of cars on screen made it at least as impressive showcase of the new playstation.

Maybe AmyS has scans of Edge/NextGen issue 7 where you can read about the upcoming destruction derby from a 1995 point of view.

Edit: issue 7 has wipeout on the cover and I think a small preview of dd. A freeissues later- 9 I think - there was a cover story on dd with a big gushing preview. It explained that the tracks are flat because the physics are constrained to 2d to keep everything running fast enough with 20 cars.

Kikorin

Fight Night 3 was pretty incredibile, I played for tons of hours and I was surprised everytime on how realistic it looked.

I remember that the first time I was truly impressed by a games graphics was when I saw a cutscene in Cyberia. 1994. I dreamed of a day when gameplay would look as amazing as that cutscene.

FzGjOEu.png

The company behind that game later made Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and even later merged with Treyarch to work on COD.

Oh god, I remember this scene vivdly. Such a cool game, I should watch a playthrough of this sometime.

Top Bottom