• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

jurgen

I don't know if it was mentioned here but Seeley said the visions that Nightwing were having tied into Dark Days.

Cool. I've loved all of Seeley's work on the Bat-books even if it's often overshadowed by Snyder, Tynion, and King. He seems like the only writer other than Tomasi that seems willing to run headfirst into using Morrison's concepts. Last issue of Nightwing was so damn good and makes me miss the days of Batman & Robin.

And Seeley brought back Lord Death Man in Talon. I will continually give him props for that.

jurgen

Hulk feels like it's gonna end in two issues. Idk where else it can go. I guess we can have 5 issues of Jen hulked out.

Considering so many other recent Marvel Now! titles have been cancelled in the low single digits (RIP Foolkiller), I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get out of the single digit issues.

Sandfox

Considering so many other recent Marvel Now! titles have been cancelled in the low single digits (RIP Foolkiller), I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get out of the single digit issues.

It's probably going to end up getting 10-12 issues and then hopefully Tamaki will have a new book.

We know the first arc is over 6 issues and it's passing to a 7th. I think the 2nd arc, we're gonna see how She-Hulk became Savage again.

I really feel like the covers are super misleading. It's fine to show Jen hulk out on the first issue but they could have saved all those hulked out covers for when she really lets loose. I wished the covers for this arc were just Jen.

It does followup from Living Weapon and highly likely Fists might be the 2nd arc.

You mean oppose to happening as it's own book? Pretty sure Andrews was tweeting about Fists as recently as like, 3 hours ago ha. No need to worry. It's happening this fall.

I checked it out. It's better than Living Weapon.

It's straight up Mortal Kombat: The Movie, actually. Down to the boat that takes him to the mysterious island.

High praise! A true Iron Fist book for our times.

Nah, regardless of living weapon jokes, I hope this Brisson run does shake out well. I want a kung fu book on a regular basis. They should have got Kagan Mcleod to do a book. If he was sticking around, seems like a decent match for Lemire/Sorrentino too.

Jintor

is there a netflix of comics yet? Is it marvel unlimited?

I just wanna pay like 10 bucks and read a bunch of comics on my tablet in a month maybe or something. I'll buy trades later.

C7i5KS3WkAM9urT.jpg

ACO Fury preview.
Giving me some 70's spy vibes
Like most people liked Civil War II here in the beginning.
I think even when they would do a really good event, people would hate it and be super negativ and I can even understand why.
I really liked CW2 AFTER the firtree issues. The #0 felt like Bendis just woke up, typed a script, and then went back to bed. #1&2 were sort of just there. A lot of build, but nothing happening (since so much of it focuses on what happened to Rhodey, which happened in the #0). #3, the murder of Hulk, was where it really shone and I think was good, or at the very least decent, for the rest.

That ending was trash, though. Just made it a bunch of fucking nothing, and not an enjoyable nothing like Bendis' Moon Knight. A bad kind of nothing.

Soule has frequently disappointed me with his Marvel output - except for She-Hulk and Daredevil. Unless Astonishing turns out to be the X-Men courtroom drama I didn't know I needed, I'm hesitant.
I really liked Inhuman a lot. Good ensemble action book that expands on Inhumans lore. The Uncanny Inhumans started well enough, but the cancellation of All-New Inhumans, plus Civil War 2 and Death of X and Inhumans vs. X-Men really derailed the fuck out of that book.

I think he can do an ensemble book really well, but the problems are when a major event/series of events comes along, which can derail the fuck out of a book. On top of that, TUI was also the main book involved with the core driving force of the Marvel Universe for the past year. CW2, DoX, and IvX all heavily involved Inhumans. Two of those he was co-writing, and that's all in addition to writing Daredevil. That's a lot of weight. Now it'll just be DD and Astonishing, which seems to be more of a "side" X-book when compared to the rest. I think he'll have a much easier time staying on track.
I have developed a serious problem with a certain set of variant covers

As a figure collector these piss me off because they are such a damn tease.

Hasbro ain't making cool stuff like this Marvel!
These were my kryptonite. Impossible to resist.

Well, considering its not the mid 90s anymore...
Maybe writing Cable will put him back in that mindset
http://www.felixcomicart.com/NewsDetail.asp?n=230

Felix Comic Art is putting up some original art to benefit ACLU Friday at Noon Eastern..prices start at $50

Art from...

FILIPE ANDRADE
IAN BERTRAM
GARRY BROWN
CHRIS BURNHAM
CLIFF CHIANG
AARON CONLEY
NICK DRAGOTTA
JUAN GEDEON
STEPHEN GREEN
JAMES HARREN
LESLIE HUNG
JAMES JEAN
DANIEL WARREN JOHNSON
CHRIS MOONEYHAM
TRADD MOORE
BRYAN LEE O'MALLEY
NICK PITARRA
PAUL POPE
RILEY ROSSMO
GEOFF SHAW
RAMON VILLALOBOS
SKOTTIE YOUNG

ah fuck i was gonna sleep in on Friday...

^^Love that Wild Storm variant.

Doom Patrol

I love this damn book.

That massage!
giphy.gif

Hulk

I'm liking this book, but I kind of feel like it's moving a little too slow. 4 issues to get to this point just seems off to me because if I look back at the 4 issues it doesn't really seem like much has happened since the first issue. But I can't complain too much because I'm liking what we're getting.

Riri Iron Man

Fuck the haters, I like RIRI. Don't like the ending even though I'm guessing it's a fake out.

Wonder Woman

I think I'm done with this book for a little while. Too much spinning it's wheels and it's quickly becoming the last book I end up reading. It's pretty consistently ok, it's just doesn't feel like it's moving at all.

Detective Comics

Batman is still probably saying the League of Assassins doesn't exist.

I keep wondering what this teem is going to consist of in the next arc. I feel like it's going to go through a lot of changes.

Deathstroke

The more straight forward these issues are the more I love them.

Teen Titans and Batman Beyond

These are together because I feel like they're both at the same spot. I really like them both and I'm glad we are past the first arc so we can get to a status quo.

Neoxon

I'd like to think that Superman has his red boots back because Jon liked them when he saw Clark's New 52 costume.

About halfway into the second trade of Gotham Academy. While I am still enjoying it (Maps is still the MVP), it just feels very choppy. A bunch of random scenes put together.

jurgen

I was just reading the first volume of Iron Fist the other day. Besides being a great comic I was struck by how rough Aja was at that point.

Yeah, Aja really changed up his style for Hawkeye. He used to be accused of imitating Alex Maleev.

And fuck, I need to revisit that series. All the immortal weapons were great, especially Fat Cobra.

664274-iron2.jpg

is there a netflix of comics yet? Is it marvel unlimited?

I just wanna pay like 10 bucks and read a bunch of comics on my tablet in a month maybe or something. I'll buy trades later.
There's a couple choices:
Marvel Unlimited
Comixology Unlimited
Scribd

MU is probably the best option at this point. Almost everything from Marvel outside of their MAX stuff gets put on there with a six month delay. Very good value.

CU is more of a sampler. It usually offers the first few trades or issues by independent publishers like Image, Fantagraphics, etc.

I haven't checked out Scribd in a while, but there was a decent mix of books from Marvel, IDW, and a few other pubs.
Is David Aja ever going to do interiors again?

Been really reading Iron Fist.

It's pretty crazy that they got brubaker and fraction to write that book

I think he's just going to stick to covers from now on like Amanda Conner unfortunately. Wish we could've gotten more ongoings by him, but he's such a perfectionist now that it would probably take forever.

jurgen

That was such a good period for Marvel. Was Fraction still doing Punisher or had he finished up before Iron Fist? That was great too. I read both in floppies but can't remember if they overlapped.

It was about the same time. 07-09 was Iron fist, I think.

And I agree, that was probably one of the best periods for Marvel.
  • Brubaker was on Captain America and Daredevil
  • Annihilation
  • Planet Hulk
  • Runaways
  • Ellis Thunderbolts
  • Whedon Astonishing X-Men
  • Iron Fist
  • Jason Aaron Ghost Rider
  • Captain Britain and MI:13
  • JMS Thor
  • Peter David X-Factor

• That sounds right. Punisher had the Civil War tie-in and Iron Fist came out right in the aftermath I think.

Yup, great books on that list. I pretty much rediscovered comics as Disassembled was happening and jumped in when Bendis started New Avengers, and Bru kicked off his Cap run. So many great books came out of all that. Secret Warriors and Hickman's intro to the company came out right at the tail end of that period too, when Bendis built all his stuff to Secret Invasion.

That was such a good period for Marvel. Was Fraction still doing Punisher or had he finished up before Iron Fist? That was great too. I read both in floppies but can't remember if they overlapped.

• Annihilation
  • Planet Hulk
  • Runaways
  • Ellis Thunderbolts
  • Iron Fist
  • JMS Thor
  • Peter David X-Factor

Yea it was a pretty crazy time for Marvel. They were pretty good at cultivating talent.

We also got DnA guardians and Nova
Hickman came into marvel in 09.

Owzers

Fastlane ruined wrestling ( though the Brock/Goldberg and the Rumble set the stage) and marvel getting rid of digital codes ruined floppies.

Orisa is fun and I'm rereading hellbloy library vol 1 slowly. If I quit monthly floppies the only book I'd buy on release digitally is Walking Dead.

I'm this close to ordering the second and third JSA omnibuses from Amazon UK. If the shipping was free or I had a 10% off code or something I would do it.

Sandfox

I love it whenever a writer bring up the Peter thing with Kitty.

"in the face of a mysterious threat, I chose violence over peace"
yeah no actually fuck that in all of its holes
IT WAS A MATTER OF FUCKING LIFE AND DEATH ORORO, IT'S OKAY TO BE VIOLENT IF THE ALTERNATIVE IS BEING GODDAMN DEAD
But turned out the violence wasn't necessary and Storm was the one that cheap shotted Beast because he wanted to talk with the Inhumans.

mreddie

• Annihilation
  • Planet Hulk
  • Runaways
  • Ellis Thunderbolts
  • Iron Fist
  • JMS Thor
  • Peter David X-Factor

That was a long time ago.

Sophie Campbell revealing she was attached to Hellcat, Hulk, Thor, Nightwing at one point.

Top Bottom