• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

Hagi

Issue 13 of Superman is some cold shit. I don't know if Frankenstein has a soul but if he does his hot four armed wife just took it.

Starman is legit top tier comics

Hey I believe it, Mig did a Starman crossover after all! What greater seal of approval.

Well it looks like Jim Cheung will be the artist on Astonishing X-Men. That's a strong choice

Thats great. I didn't think it would be, purely because the team pic was by him and they didn't announce him as artist haha guess I out thought Marvel.

What? Ha ha ha

Smoke bomb!

Haha!

Damn. Read vol 3 of Old Man Logan this evening...that was fucking awesome. Funny rereading my writeup of vol 2 earlier. In its own bubble, bordertown felt (for me) a very classic Wolverine tale and very cool but it was hard not to continue with the feeling that the series wasn't really going anywhere fast. However, having read the full first year now, it's pretty clear that Lemire was laying groundwork, building the right character foundations with Bordertown, for The Last Ronin and it REALLY pays off. Lemire just has such a good grip on Logan as a character, and masterfully uses the plot setup, Logan's tortured past and characters around him to shine a light into the figurative and literal well he's been trapped at the bottom of for so long. I think having finished v 3 it's easier to see the thematic lines that run straight through all three volumes too, which adds a lot of cohesion and enhances the whole thing. Some of the "can the future be changed" stuff is still a bit flimsy at moments but overall I admire where Lemire was trying to go with it all.

Also, Sorrentino's layouts and panel compositions are just incredible in this volume too, the ways he finds to convey the action sequences, flashbacks and so on are just great.

Hagi

You make OML sound pretty interesting it's not something I really wanted to read even with him popping up in other books like Laura's but I think I'll give it a shot sometime.

You make OML sound pretty interesting it's not something I really wanted to read even with him popping up in other books like Laura's but I think I'll give it a shot sometime.

Haha honestly, I wasn't sure if I was going to continue with the book after the first volume man. It really steps it up volume to volume though and in retrospect, I appreciate the first volume more now knowing what the team are building towards on a character level with the situations they're presenting him. I will say I think it's mad that Marvel stretched 13 issues over three trades, that did the first volume no favours, although I appreciate less their solution was to pad the trades out with old issues.

What do read for a direct continuation of Uncanny X-Men 600? I'm a bit confused.

Also, as someone who's never really been into x men that much aside from solo wolverine stuff, though the school/academy stuff was an absolute droll, and always though cyclops was boring until now but I really liked this (vol 3?) stuff all about cyclops and his people. I was only reading this for the brought from the past young OG xmen stuff was about, though the battle of atom or whatever, but I ended up much preferring this series to the all-new xmen I started with and the mindnumbingly uninteresting xmen that I tried to give a chance with the crossover, and tbh I'm bored of the young xmen already.

Also this magik chick seems pretty OP and pretty cool, how come I've never heard of her before, never seen her in a movie, show or game.

jurgen

What do read for a direct continuation of Uncanny X-Men 600? I'm a bit confused.

Also, as someone who's never really been into x men that much aside from solo wolverine stuff, though the school/academy stuff was an absolute droll, and always though cyclops was boring until now but I really liked this (vol 3?) stuff all about cyclops and his people. I was only reading this for the brought from the past young OG xmen stuff was about, though the battle of atom or whatever, but I ended up much preferring this series to the all-new xmen I started with and the mindnumbingly uninteresting xmen that I tried to give a chance with the crossover, and tbh I'm bored of the young xmen already.

Also this magik chick seems pretty OP and pretty cool, how come I've never heard of her before, never seen her in a movie, show or game.

There really isn't a direct continuation. The Secret Wars crossover brings it to an end along with everything else.

You can look into Extraordinary X-Men for school stuff or All New X-Men for the Original Five X-Men brought from the past. Those just came to an end, though and the X-Men line is going through another relaunch next month with twice-monthly X-Men Blue and X-Men Gold.

And yes, Magik can be OP as hell. Look up Zeb Wells "New Mutants" series if you like her.

Somebody put forward the argument last night that Vision is the most influential Marvel comic in recent history, or something to that effect.

I look at pages like this and wonder, is it really Hawkeye? This kind of page design, all the zoom-ins on little details and stylish flourishes, I feel is highly prevalent in current Marvel comics. And the modern usage of this design was popularized by Hawkeye, no?

These books often have writing styles and approaches to characterization that are similar to Hawkeye as well.
Absolutely. I meant to reply earlier saying Hawkeye but I was heading into work. So many books have stolen cues and shit from Hawkeye and, unlike Vision, it did draw a ton of attention from non-comic readers.

It's hard to say how "important" a new comic like Vision will be so soon after it finished but we've already seen the Hawkeye reception and how it's influenced so many comics. I remember us joking about books like Punisher and Black Widow copying Hawkeye years ago, for a good reason. They kinda did.

I loved Vision, and I'm sure Ms. Marvel is pretty good too, but Hawkeye was absolutely the most important book they've done since at least 2010 I'd say. You need to have a fucking amazing argument to say otherwise.

That was an absolutely badass issue of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. Love this comic more and more every issue.

"You like him, don't you?"
"Yeah, yeah I think I do."

D'AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

There really isn't a direct continuation. The Secret Wars crossover brings it to an end along with everything else.

You can look into Extraordinary X-Men for school stuff or All New X-Men for the Original Five X-Men brought from the past. Those just came to an end, though and the X-Men line is going through another relaunch next month with twice-monthly X-Men Blue and X-Men Gold.

And yes, Magik can be OP as hell. Look up Zeb Wells "New Mutants" series if you like her.

Cheers, so after
cyclops is standing on the capital hill steps with magneto with almost every other mutant there
nothing else happens at that direct moment in time? It just cut to Eva and the Beast and I thought there would be a bit more to it. Seemed like real sudden end.

I'll check out new mutants seems interesting.

Somebody put forward the argument last night that Vision is the most influential Marvel comic in recent history, or something to that effect.

I look at pages like this and wonder, is it really Hawkeye? This kind of page design, all the zoom-ins on little details and stylish flourishes, I feel is highly prevalent in current Marvel comics. And the modern usage of this design was popularized by Hawkeye, no?

These books often have writing styles and approaches to characterization that are similar to Hawkeye as well.

Just wanted to say I completely agree with your hot take which was so hot, I thought I was menopausal.

Aja name checks Steranko as an influence for his approach to Hawkeye and I totally see it. Yet, it's not just apaing Steranko's aesthetic. Steranko layouts feel like he's bringing the language of cinematic montage onto the comic page. Aja's layouts don't strike me that way. Instead, it feels like he's slowing down the action by breaking it into its component parts. It's why he's so great with action sequences. You see every moving part in front of you and understand how they work within the scene. Aja seems to be pulling beyond just comic artist, but incorporates ideas from graphic design and UX design in his layouts.

You can see other artist following that line of thinking as well, like Andrea Sorrentino and Mike Walsh.

As for the writing, Fraction isn't just doing slice of life. I think it's more than that. He filters genre through mumblecore. The writing has that shaggy pacing of independent film that gives more times to character than moving plot. A lot of the ideas Fraction lays down in Hawkeye inform a lot of the books coming out of Marvel. And while writers at Image and other indies seem more interested in playing within the bounds of genre rather than do what Fraction did, I think we'll start to see a lot more of that in the next few years.

ElNarez

Banned
As for the writing, Fraction isn't just doing slice of life. I think it's more than that. He filters genre through mumblecore. The writing has that shaggy pacing of independent film that gives more times to character than moving plot. A lot of the ideas Fraction lays down in Hawkeye inform a lot of the books coming out of Marvel. And while writers at Image and other indies seem more interested in playing within the bounds of genre rather than do what Fraction did, I think we'll start to see a lot more of that in the next few years.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: a lot of the tricks Fraction pulls off in Hawkeye are tricks he figured out years before in Casanova, especially when it comes to representing the inner thoughts of his characters on the page. (Helps of course that Casanova is lettered by hand, but, there's a process that's there in both books)

Casanova is a bomb-ass comic and you should read it, because I suck at expressing what I mean, but you should read it.

Damn, Fell #1 - #8 was amazing! Creepy, disturbing, downright disgusting at times and also weirdly funny in places. The premise is very basic (cop in disfavour sent to a bad precinct) but Ellis does so much with it. Templesmith's work is brilliant.

YK4rkZ1.png

Ellis always seems to find perfect artists for the material he is writing.

Damn, Fell #1 - #8 was amazing! Creepy, disturbing, downright disgusting at times and also weirdly funny in places. The premise is very basic (cop in disfavour sent to a bad precinct) but Ellis does so much with it. Templesmith's work is brilliant..

I love Fell! This was one of the first Image trades I bought, when I was ditching floppies for good. Dark, hilarious, slightly disorientating. A real Ellis comic in other words. And yea, that nun man. I love the issue where he's dealing with the bomber in the changing rooms.

(Although, I'm not sure if I ever read the last issue, I don't think it was in the trade)

Vic_Viper

Before Secret Empire starts what is the recommended/required reading? Aside from the current Steve Rodgers Captain America book, is there anything else worth reading before the event starts? Is Civil War 2, IvX, and Sam Wilson Captain America all necessary? Anything else?

Messi

Before Secret Empire starts what is the recommended/required reading? Aside from the current Steve Rodgers Captain America book, is there anything else worth reading before the event starts? Is Civil War 2, IvX, and Sam Wilson Captain America all necessary? Anything else?

You should be reading Sam Wilson anyway. It's the better of the two cap books.

Dalek

I'm pretty sure all you need to read is Standoff, Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson. Anything else will be just tie ins.

MG310

http://www.felixcomicart.com/NewsDetail.asp?n=230

Felix Comic Art is putting up some original art to benefit ACLU Friday at Noon Eastern..prices start at $50

Art from...

FILIPE ANDRADE
IAN BERTRAM
GARRY BROWN
CHRIS BURNHAM
CLIFF CHIANG
AARON CONLEY
NICK DRAGOTTA
JUAN GEDEON
STEPHEN GREEN
JAMES HARREN
LESLIE HUNG
JAMES JEAN
DANIEL WARREN JOHNSON
CHRIS MOONEYHAM
TRADD MOORE
BRYAN LEE O'MALLEY
NICK PITARRA
PAUL POPE
RILEY ROSSMO
GEOFF SHAW
RAMON VILLALOBOS
SKOTTIE YOUNG

Just the Cap books

I see even more praises for Secret Empire. Now I kinda want it to hurry up.

Isn't it still almost a month away?

http://www.felixcomicart.com/NewsDetail.asp?n=230

Felix Comic Art is putting up some original art to benefit ACLU Friday at Noon Eastern..prices start at $50

Art from...

FILIPE ANDRADE
IAN BERTRAM
GARRY BROWN
CHRIS BURNHAM
CLIFF CHIANG
AARON CONLEY
NICK DRAGOTTA
JUAN GEDEON
STEPHEN GREEN
JAMES HARREN
LESLIE HUNG
JAMES JEAN
DANIEL WARREN JOHNSON
CHRIS MOONEYHAM
TRADD MOORE
BRYAN LEE O'MALLEY
NICK PITARRA
PAUL POPE
RILEY ROSSMO
GEOFF SHAW
RAMON VILLALOBOS
SKOTTIE YOUNG

Getting art is gonna be a bloodbath

good luck

mreddie

Iron Fist was a good start but I'm gonna keep my eye on it. Better #1 than America.

It does followup from Living Weapon and highly likely Fists might be the 2nd arc.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
It's okay, just Danny fighting dudes and wondering where's his powers despite him having the powers in PM-IF?

I checked it out. It's better than Living Weapon.

It's straight up Mortal Kombat: The Movie, actually. Down to the boat that takes him to the mysterious island.

Speaking of variant covers. Here's Nightwing #19...

Haven't seen him in a minute...

I've been loving the DickBats stuff going on in this arc.

I've said it before, but I'm really enjoying Hulk so far. It's a slow burn so far, but I love how the tension has been building up and I like how Tamaki writes Jen a lot. I think a lot of people are focusing too much on her not being She-Hulk like normal, when it was pretty clear the focus was going to be on the human element (at least early on). Good comic so far.

Top Bottom