• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

The last page of Iron RiRi #5 is SO GREAT

I for one welcome our new AI overlords

This could be the start of a really special
villain origin

The best comparison I can make, at the risk of sounding like hyperbole, is that it's the closest thing Marvel has had to their own "Watchmen" in recent years.

It takes an extremely convoluted character and tells a story about family and how the presence of family will make you do the illogical and impossible. The fact that King uses a computer-driven, android, superhero family to explore this notion is extremely effective. Every damn panel, word balloon, and narration is super focused and drives everything forward.

There's a reason Marvel is re-releasing it in "Director's Cut" format this summer. It's completely unlike the bright, melodramatic, superhero slugfest that most Marvel books are these days. It abandons superhero tropes and uses those characters to tell a story effectively.
Hmm well I have seen it as acclaimed good as anything marvel has put out there but to say it's the most important book Marvel has put out is tenuous at best, my dude.

Unless a whole generation of comics creators alters their approach to making comics based on how Vision was written, drawn and colored, then Vision won't go beyond 'really good book you should read' which is fine. 'Closest thing to Watchmen' is a thing that should be retired imo the comics medium is past that.

It's really good man, I'd check it out. I can't really say how impactful it'll be for you or the medium beyond that, but it is fantastic and I can pick no holes in it.
It's definitely on my list, just waiting for a good collection. I hate Marvel's tpbs. They're super thin and pricy

MG310

Might have to pick this up to go with Ivy

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DMC12828&mode=retail

17457420_1618369938191812_3169492200489268269_n.jpg

tim1138

Hmm well I have seen it as acclaimed good as anything marvel has put out there but to say it's the most important book Marvel has put out is tenuous at best, my dude.

Unless a whole generation of comics creators alters their approach to making comics based on how Vision was written, drawn and colored, then Vision won't go beyond 'really good book you should read' which is fine. 'Closest thing to Watchmen' is a thing that should be retired imo the comics medium is past that.

It's definitely on my list, just waiting for a good collection. I hate Marvel's tpbs. They're super thin and pricy

If nothing else you'll dig Walta's line art and Bellaire's colors.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I just noticed while writing a post in the MCU Thread how much I miss good Spider-Man gang wars arcs. I love them in Batman and I always loved them in Spider-Man and I cant recall anyone writing something like this in the last few years. There are so great foes like Silvermane or Kingpin who can be centered around something like this.

Parker Industries needs to go ASAP :( It restrains so much I love about Spider-Man :( I hope Spectacular is really good old Streetlevel Spidey.

And I am really sorry that I bring this up so often, but its been such a long time since I picked up a regular issue of a Spider-Man ongoing and just enjoyed the heck out of it :/

I just noticed while writing a post in the MCU Thread how much I miss good Spider-Man gang wars arcs. I love them in Batman and I always loved them in Spider-Man and I cant recall anyone writing something like this in the last few years. There are so great foes like Silvermane or Kingpin who can be centered around something like this.

Parker Industries needs to go ASAP :( It restrains so much I love about Spider-Man :( I hope Spectacular is really good old Streetlevel Spidey.

And I am really sorry that I bring this up so often, but its been such a long time since I picked up a regular issue of a Spider-Man ongoing and just enjoyed the heck out of it :/

Slott needs to go. I honestly think I'm done with Spidey until Zdarsky's book.

Though the physical appearance does not match, it seems to be
The One Above All

why would you say this?

especially given that the celestial TOAA is part of the storyline, that would make things very confusing.

Wasn't Superior Foes exactly this sort of thing? but with humor, really

If nothing else you'll dig Walta's line art and Bellaire's colors.
I enjoyed their work together on Magneto when Bunn was writing it. That was what initially drew me to the title. I think Bellaire works really well with guys who use greyscale washes like Walta. This is probably why she's dating Declan Shalvey.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Wasn't Superior Foes exactly this sort of thing? but with humor, really
yeah, but wasnt this from the villains perspective? I want Parker stuff.

I mean its funny how they made Peter exactly into Stark 2.0, he is even funding the Avengers, but I really not enjoy seeing him flying into space with his private spaceship with shitty jokes about his Spotify Playlist and his Spider-Car. Also I dont see how they bring the character into a more familiar setting after this, there is no way he will ever back, shooting photos and trying to get his rent in time while beeing busy beeing right on time for a date with MJ.
And yes, this is stuff has been done for 50 years and most likely only I want to see this again but I am starving for more familarity.

yeah, but wasnt this from the villains perspective? I want Parker stuff.

I mean its funny how they made Peter exactly into Stark 2.0, he is even funding the Avengers, but I really not enjoy seeing him flying into space with his private spaceship with shitty jokes about his Spotify Playlist and his Spider-Car. Also I dont see how they bring the character into a more familiar setting after this, there is no way he will ever back, shooting photos and trying to get his rent in time while beeing busy beeing right on time for a date with MJ.
And yes, this is stuff has been done for 50 years and most likely only I want to see this again but I am starving for more familarity.

well...that sort of thing, doing freelance photos for the bugle and all is kind of a 70s occupation. How do you even make it plausible in 2017?

Spidey will eventually go back to basics and parker industries is absolutely on borrowed time, but I don't see everything resetting back to Spiderman circa 1984. Just not happening.

So remember how the MCU is apparently going to put Hela in Lady Death's role going by like year old rumors. I think they're correct after today.

If Hela is playing that role with Thanos, who the hell is that with Thane in the Thanos book?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Death was teased years ago. I really dont think they will skip out of this.

well...that sort of thing, doing freelance photos for the bugle and all is kind of a 70s occupation. How do you even make it plausible in 2017?

Spidey will eventually go back to basics and parker industries is absolutely on borrowed time, but I don't see everything resetting back to Spiderman circa 1984. Just not happening.
He can work again at the Bugle website. He doesnt need to freelance again. Or make him a teacher again, I mean, which university wouldnt take a successful scientist as a tutor? Something along this line, I just want everything to be more grounded again.

why would you say this?

especially given that the celestial TOAA is part of the storyline, that would make things very confusing.

-Anti-Man calls it "the one who is one" and says it's taking everything back into it

-The Rodstvow aberration says that it has been waiting "numberless aeons" for this moment

-The One Above All is one of the only entities that would have authority over Order and Chaos. Logos is taking orders from whatever this is

-The entity talks about absorbing Eternity. TOAA is one of the only entities above Eternity in the cosmic hierarchy

-This entity pre-dates the concept of multiverses entirely, which makes for a very short list of candidates

-Finally, it says "We will return to a saner time. When there was but one cosmos. One universe. One reality. One totality. When there was only I." If this is a credible statement, what else could it even possibly be?

-On the last page it refers to itself as the "first firmament"

Not even sure who else could fill out that list of suspects, any thoughts?

jurgen

Invincible Iron Man #5... Hoo boy. This was a Bendis comic. Riri hacking stuff is the new Venom Blast 2.0 macguffin.

Also, do Bendis' editors actually try to keep him on task? The content of the book isn't even close to the solicit.

The world now knows about Riri Williams and what she can do. So other heroes come to court her for their super-teams and villains come looking for revenge on Iron Man. Welcome to the Marvel Universe, Riri Williams!

Invincible Iron Man #5... Hoo boy. This was a Bendis comic. Riri hacking stuff is the new Venom Blast 2.0 macguffin.

Also, do Bendis' editors actually try to keep him on task? The content of the book isn't even close to the solicit.

Oh now the cover makes sense, lol

-Anti-Man calls it "the one who is one" and says it's taking everything back into it

-The Rodstvow aberration says that it has been waiting "numberless aeons" for this moment

-The One Above All is one of the only entities that would have authority over Order and Chaos. Logos is taking orders from whatever this is

-The entity talks about absorbing Eternity. TOAA is one of the only entities above Eternity in the cosmic hierarchy

-This entity pre-dates the concept of multiverses entirely, which makes for a very short list of candidates

-Finally, it says "We will return to a saner time. When there was but one cosmos. One universe. One reality. One totality. When there was only I." If this is a true statement, what else could it even possibly be?

-On the last page it refers to itself as the "first firmament"

Not even sure who else could fill out that list of suspects, any thoughts?

none of that makes sense in the context of TOAA.

TOAA was who the Tribunal answered to. Why would TOAA have order and chaos kill off it's own agent? As for "answering to", Order and Chaos did what they did, because they were uncomfortable with the way things were progressing with Universe 8 and wanted to regress back to way things were under Universe 7. Note that Tribunal was PERFECTLY FINE with Universe 8, despite who he answers to and where his authority came from. O&C were manipulated into an ill-advised fusion that resulted in a powerful yet extremely unstable and myopic entity in LOGOS. It's taking orders, but only because it's easily manipulated at this point. There are hints that it's not as powerful as it thinks it is- it doesn't even seem to be aware that it was being influenced at all until it was too late and entirely corrupt.

There are MANY things shown to be more powerful than Eternity is- cubes, gauntlets, beyonders..even the Ancient One wrestled eternity into submission back in the day. Heirarchy has nothing to do with why Eternity was chained- if it was a heirarchy issue then all TOAA would have to do to get Eternity to back down is Say So, as Tribunal did during the Infinity Gauntlet Saga. Literally a wave of the hand and "I outrank you" and Eternity is put in his place. This isn't the case here.

TOAA also had no issue with the multiverse of universe 7, as TOAA was presumably it's creator. Whatever this is HATES multiverses and wants one singular reality. this wasn't the case in Universe 7 at all- and presumably not 6, 5, etc.

There's no need to wait "numberless Aeons" for TOAA to show up, because it was already around in Universe 7, roaming freely and doing whatever it wanted. It simply chose not to show up and act primarily through the Tribunal.

The entity does predate the concept of multiverses, but this is not a short list. Marvel flat out invented a vastly powerful survivor of Universe 6 immediately after Secret Wars that no one had ever heard of. You could also toss in any number of Eldritch Gods or Many Angled Ones i.e. Shuma Gorath into boats like this.

It's not TOAA, that doesn't make any sense at all. It will probably be a new creation, much like the NeverQueen came out of nowhere as a vastly powerful peer of eternity no one had ever heard of during Silver Surfer and is now front and center during Ultimates.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I enjoyed their work together on Magneto when Bunn was writing it. That was what initially drew me to the title. I think Bellaire works really well with guys who use greyscale washes like Walta. This is probably why she's dating Declan Shalvey.

Engaged, actually. If not, married.

Ed is just playing coy. He reads the Weekly Cute Colorists Report, so he knew that. Last week's cover was the hunky Fairbairn.

When does the main arc regarding the watchmen and dc universe happen?

I'm sorta just waiting out on that

Hard to really say. Seems like some comics today could be a kicking off point that leads to things that leads to other things, but it just depends on how many things there will be until it actually gets to the point.

Hard to really say. Seems like some comics today could be a kicking off point that leads to things that leads to other things, but it just depends on how many things there will be until it actually gets to the point.

Yeah, it reminds me of the build to Final Crisis, where it's just going to be a variety of events and stories coalescing over a period of years

Jonogunn

Superman Reborn touched on it a little bit. The big stuff starts next month in Batman #21 and Flash #21.

190240_1060279_1.gif

Delicious Fabok art...

Thanks. I read the rebirth stuff already its what got me interested.

I'll wait for Batman 21 then. I love the retconning of Dr. Manhattan as the cause for the New 52

Yeah, it reminds me of the build to Final Crisis, where it's just going to be a variety of events and stories coalescing over a period of years

Yeah I mean even if the Button leads to those Dark Days things they're even talking about Dark Days as a precursor to bigger events. It's just a case of how many precursor's there are.

Johns isn't writing except for his upcoming DC x Watchmen thing but he's pretty clearly influencing the current creative direction.
He's responsible for the plotting of all the crossovers IIRC. Think BC did an article on something Tom King said if someone wants to go look for it. His next project with him as an actual writer is the Aquaman arc he'll do later(Rise of the Seven Seas).

Hagi

Opinions on the Flash? I got that 30 percent off coupon so I was thinking about picking up all of that along with this weeks DC stuff. Was going to catch up on Batman but I'm not feeling it.

Opinions on the Flash? I got that 30 percent off coupon so I was thinking about picking up all of that along with this weeks DC stuff. Was going to catch up on Batman but I'm not feeling it.

Flash has been really hit and miss imo. Not really bad, but just kind of ok with some highlights here and there. Rogues story was good and I think it had one or two one off issues that I really liked.

So is today's Captain America in the middle of a story arc or just a one-and-done story? I almost bought it because Madame Hydra is pretty great, but I don't want to buy an issue that's in the middle of a story.

I just want my Vision OHC

They'll announce it just when you've given up hope.

Top Bottom