• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

Yeah, I'm guessing at a certain point it just becomes thinking about it too much.
The splash page of them introducing Jon and stuff just makes me wonder do they remember another Supes, or his death, or is this somehow just the answer to the secret identity thing and that's basically it?

Still mad that this is added confusion on top of a whooooole lot of things from rebirth and Oz already not adding up. I liked this issue on it's own, but still irritated.
Hey, at least we got the answer to Oz's "You're not what you believe you are and neither was the dead Superman" statement.
They were the same guy split in 2 and now they are 1 again aside from some scattered energy ending up in Lana and captured by China.

tim1138

I would actually say Flash is a bigger issue this week than Action

Major Flash and potential HUGE SPOILERS

Most of the issue is about Wally and his father Reverse Flash, but all of a sudden at the end Thawne from Flashpoint shows up and remembers Flashpoint.

Regarding my theory from the other day and this spoiler:
I thought the Dark Days issue made me think of Flashpoint and was wondering if it dealt somehow with the "forging" or "Casting" of the New 52. Then suddenly Thawne remembers Flashpoint and shows up right before Flash goes off to The Button? Hmmmmm

I dig your theory, it makes a lot of sense.

Hal Jordan spoilers for those interested:

Ganthet and Sayd think that Kyle channeling the white light through Walker will resurrect the Blue Lantern Corps. During the process Walker starts yelling at an unseen individual to get out, and the resurrection fails and actually kills a large swath of vegetation on Mogo. Ganthet and Sayd can't believe it failed, and the implication is Doc Manhattan blocked it.

The White Ring is drained of its energy and starts to split apart, but before it does we see glimpses of Atrocitus, Barry (with the Blue Lantern logo emanating from him) and Oz.

The ring splits into seven different rings, with a new one for each Corps. The Green ring goes to Kyle and he's back rocking his 90s black and white uniform.

Before all this goes down Hal tells Kyle that he (Kyle) is the greatest Lantern of all time.

Ross61

I dig your theory, it makes a lot of sense.

Hal Jordan spoilers for those interested:

Ganthet and Sayd think that Kyle channeling the white light through Walker will resurrect the Blue Lantern Corps. During the process Walker starts yelling at an unseen individual to get out, and the resurrection fails and actually kills a large swath of vegetation on Mogo. Ganthet and Sayd can't believe it failed, and the implication is Doc Manhattan blocked it.

The White Ring is drained of its energy and starts to split apart, but before it does we see glimpses of Atrocitus, Barry (with the Blue Lantern logo emanating from him) and Oz.

The ring splits into seven different rings, with a new one for each Corps. The Green ring goes to Kyle and he's back rocking his 90s black and white uniform.

Before all this goes down Hal tells Kyle that he (Kyle) is the greatest Lantern of all time.

Guess
Manhattan blocked it because of Blue Lantern Corps being the literal embodiment of Hope.

ElNarez

Banned
Blue Beetle is tightening up its scope and providing the much needed answers vis-à-vis what the fuck's going on. Consider picking up this issue, because, it's good comics.

Blue Beetle is tightening up its scope and providing the much needed answers vis-à-vis what the fuck's going on. Consider picking up this issue, because, it's good comics.

Is the horrible dialogue get fixed at all? Couldn't stand the constant back and forth that was repetitive and came off as forced attempts at Gilmore Girls style dialogue. Mostly between the two friends. I gave up at issue two because of it.

ElNarez

Banned
Is the horrible dialogue get fixed at all? Couldn't stand the constant back and forth that was repetitive and came off as forced attempts at Gilmore Girls style dialogue. Mostly between the two friends. I gave up at issue two because of it.

The bulk of the dialogue in this issue is
Doctor Fate and the Beetle speaking in that Big Comic Book Posturing mode. There's some sitcom stuff, but it's four pages at most, and it works for what it is.
Plus they've announced DeMatteis is joining the creative team next issue so dialogue can only get tighter.

PS: Tec broke my dang heart. Good comics.

ElNarez

Banned
there's a new wolverine in town, can you guess who it is?

f943408495.jpg

can you guess who it is AFTER I tell you it's Jimmy Hudson?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Because Miles gave Molecule man 5(?) year old burger and The Maker is reed richards
No. The new Marvel Universe has also the Green Lantern ripoff from the Justice League Universe. They have taken the pieces they wanted to have together and it seems like that oen is also part of it.

caliph95

Also, what Fury said to Thor to make him "unworthy" is some colossally disappointing shit.
Spoil it for me.

Honestly from the beginning since original sin i knew the answer wouldn't be satisfying.
No. The new Marvel Universe has also the Green Lantern ripoff from the Justice League Universe. They have taken the pieces they wanted to have together and it seems like that oen is also part of it.
Plenty of other characters from other universes made it over.
Fair enough

What happened to Ultimate Richards? I remember him being a decently big part during Secret Wars but don't remember what happened to him.

Of the little I read of the Ultimate universe near the end I liked what was going on with him.

"Gorr was right."

Man, I wish it could go back and redraw those panels and have Thor's reaction be so confused and slow. Like "Ok......?"

What happened to Ultimate Richards? I remember him being a decently big part during Secret Wars but don't remember what happened to him.

Of the little I read of the Ultimate universe near the end I liked what was going on with him.
Showed up in New Avengers by Ewing right after Secret Wars with his new group called WHISPER. He comes in slices now.

caliph95

He is in the main universe being a super villain he fought the New Avengers(Aimvengers) at one point
"Gorr was right."
I have so many questions
Why would that affect him when he still felt worthy after whole GodKiller arc just because Fury said it
Also the real answers should have been
Cyclopeswasright

shingi70

Banned
Superman reveal was oddly convoluted and really should have been addressed during the start of rebirth.

Those GLC corps spoilers were interesting. Glad they're doling out the rebirth mystery gradually.

Showed up in New Avengers by Ewing right after Secret Wars with his new group called WHISPER. He comes in slices now.

He is in the main universe being a super villain he fought the New Avengers(Aimvengers) at one point

I have so many questions

Oh, ok. Sweet. Glad he's around in some aspect then.

Have any Rebirth series hit must-read status? Anything really great?

I think it depends on what you want from a must-read. I think Batman has had the highest of highs but I am Suicide was really disappointing.

But if I'm saying personal favorites I'd say some smaller stuff like Red Hood and the Outlaws and New Super-Man. Super Sons only has a few issues but has been amazing.

ElNarez

Banned
How are you guys managing to complicate a story about Superman
going to the fifth dimension and rewriting history so that there's only ever been the one Superman from the one Earth through the power of love?

At least on Rebirth can we all agree that Green Arrow has gone wayyyy down hill from the great and fun point it started at?

It went from probably my favorite book early on to near dropping a couple times now.

Ross61

Have any Rebirth series hit must-read status? Anything really great?
For me Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Detective Comics, Deathstroke, Nightwing, Teen Titans, Super Sons, Batwoman.

There are other titles I think are great but those are the most agreed upon.

I think it depends on what you want from a must-read. I think Batman has had the highest of highs but I am Suicide was really disappointing.

But if I'm saying personal favorites I'd say some smaller stuff like Red Hood and the Outlaws and New Super-Man. Super Sons only has a few issues but has been amazing.

Well, something that is great irrespective of the continuity and Watchmen stuff going on in the background. Either Marvel or DC, that aspect doesn't really interest me much.

Does Red Hood work by itself?

New Super-Man and Super Sons I am looking forward to. (In spite of my making a mistake and pickup up the Saga of the Super Sons trade instead by mistake -_-).

For me so far Superman and Detective Comics, also i guess Deathstroke

New Superman or just Superman? (Also, if Superman, will I need to read Action Comics too? Because I wasn't impressed with the first trade of that).

I've not read many of them yet, but TEC was great, and Wonder Woman was fantastic

Does Detective comics tie in closely with anything else?

Glad they got it out of the way it would never have been satisfying imo.

it makes sense given what we know about Thor and the overall arc of going from unworthy to worthy then back to unworthy again after secret wars.

There's not really anything else it could have been, all things considered.

caliph95

Well, something that is great irrespective of the continuity and Watchmen stuff going on in the background. Either Marvel or DC, that aspect doesn't really interest me much.

Does Red Hood work by itself?

New Super-Man and Super Sons I am looking forward to. (In spite of my making a mistake and pickup up the Saga of the Super Sons trade instead by mistake -_-).

New Superman or just Superman? (Also, if Superman, will I need to read Action Comics too? Because I wasn't impressed with the first trade of that).

I remember Detective comics working by itself except for the dumb Monsters cross over which you could do what i did and skipped.

Just Superman but New Supes is supposed to be good and the two issues i read were good. I don't think you will need to read Action i avoided Action because i was bored
it makes sense given what we know about Thor and the overall arc of going from unworthy to worthy then back to unworthy again after secret wars.

There's not really anything else it could have been, all things considered.
Makes sense but i have to see the context because i personally have a hard time belieivng that causes him to be Unworthy after the
Gorr arc
but i will withhold judgement

GAMEPROFF

Banned
it makes sense given what we know about Thor and the overall arc of going from unworthy to worthy then back to unworthy again
This was one of the best moments of the late New Avengers/Avengers Run... Where Thor and Hyperion had the final fight against the Beyonders and Thor became suddenly worthy again and werent able to lift the hammer of Thorr.

Unfortunately there is a tie in to
the Oz stuff
towards the end of vol 1, which I could have done without but it doesn't materially impact the reading experience, as much as spinning an outgoing character into a new circumstance. The book carries on past it but yea, it's there. By and large the story and its ideas are self concerned though. WW is totally self contained.

I'm actually jumping off of Superman in favour of Super Sons because of how tied it has become to larger eventy stuff.

This was one of the best moments of the late New Avengers/Avengers Run... Where Thor and Hyperion had the final fight against the Beyonders and Thor became suddenly worthy again and werent able to lift the hammer of Thorr.

Agree.

having it be some horrible thing in Thor's past or whatever, or having him be a fake Thor or something would have been nonsensical.

I'm fine with the reveal and if you were paying attention it was really obvious what it was.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Fucking amazing.

And the other great thing is, which I just realized a few days after I finished the book, that really everyone involved from the people who really dealt on a bigger level with the Incursion went insane. Hank Pym went completly bonkers on a great lovecratian level, like he has meet Cthulhu himself, Tony Starks and Steve Rogers minds were eaten by their hatred against each other and the end of the world. Thor acts like he is complelty out of his mind on this panels. Tchalla stays relativ sane but has also went in deep when he went against Namor in his final move. And lots not speak of Stephan Strange, he sold all of his soul and and allied with one of the worst forces of the multiverse.

What funny is, that people like Reed Richards, Hank Mc Coy, Bruce Banner and even Namor are the only reasonable people in the end. Of course, they are destroyer of worlds, but in all the mess between all the other people, they were the only one who didnt put their emotions at the first place and tried to remain calm.

Superman is the best Super-book, and IMO, the best cape book being published anywhere today, but New Superman is also quite good. It explores what happens when you get powers but aren't ready, which has been done plenty, but combines that with a really interesting exploration of evolving Chinese society and how it relates to America. Yang uses the DC heroes as symbols for broader Western culture and what that means to young Chinese.

Top Bottom