• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

Does Red Hood work by itself?

Red Hood is pretty much all on it's own.

Does Detective comics tie in closely with anything else?

Tec has been great but I feel like there are either a lot of things tied on to it or spawning out of it. You got Oz stuff, Monster men, and now Batwoman all kind of branching off of it. I don't think it's that counterproductive or hard to grasp without that stuff, but it does branch out a bit.

Fucking amazing.

And the other great thing is, which I just realized a few days after I finished the book, that really everyone involved from the people who really dealt on a bigger level with the Incursion went insane. Hank Pym went completly bonkers on a great lovecratian level, like he has meet Cthulhu himself, Tony Starks and Steve Rogers minds were eaten by their hatred against each other and the end of the world. Thor acts like he is complelty out of his mind on this panels. Tchalla stays relativ sane but has also went deep when he went against Namor in his final move. And lots not speak of Stephan Strange, he sold all of his soul and and allied with one of the worst forces of the multiverse.

eh...I think you're being a bit hard on Strange. The multiverse had been reduced to three people. Molecule Man, Doom, and Himself. He was offered the job of "God", realized he wasn't up to the job and turned it down.

Doom thought he was, but his vision was flawed- much like Strange's probably would have been. Only Reed was the man for the job and Reed was gone (at the time.)

What funny is, that people like Reed Richards, Hank Mc Coy and Bruce Banner are the only reasonable people in the end. Of course, they are destroyer of worlds, but in all the mess between all the other people, they were the only one who didnt put their emotions at the first place and tried to remain calm.

what you're missing here is that people like Reed, McCoy, and Banner flat out gave up, cried, and refused to defend the earth when they couldn't handle the moral burden of blowing up an earth to save (multiple) universes.

The only reason the multiverse exists right now is because Namor and Thanos had the balls to run the clock out by obliterating every single planet that rolled their way, while Doom came up with a plan to knock out the Beyonders.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The Marvel Universe should have straight up ended with Hickman's Secret Wars as nothing will ever top it.

Its far inferior to the first half of Avengers and New Avengers IMO. A great event but I always thought, for its importance, the story never really took of. I thought it needed far more room, but maybe these pacing issues were resolved on the reworked edition of the event that is collected in the OHC.

Yeah, SS has been becoming a top tier title since JLvsSS.

Man, I feel like the exact opposite. Between Remida's art and the split stories being kind of pointless(the fact that they are split I mean), and all the convoluted stuff with Waller/Hack/Harcourt.

I've gone way downhill with it when I was loving the early stuff of them going after Zod and the backstory stuff.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
eh...I think you're being a bit hard on Strange. The multiverse had been reduced to three people. Molecule Man, Doom, and Himself. He was offered the job of "God", realized he wasn't up to the job and turned it down.

Doom thought he was, but his vision was flawed- much like Strange's probably would have been. Only Reed was the man for the job and Reed was gone (at the time.)
Yeah, I am not even that mad at Stephan that he went in bed with Doom in the end, but it was way earlier when he joined the map makers or what the name of his guys were.

what you're missing here is that people like Reed, McCoy, and Banner flat out gave up, cried, and refused to defend the earth when they couldn't handle the moral burden of blowing up an earth to save (multiple) universes.

The only reason the multiverse exists right now is because Namor and Thanos had the balls to run the clock out by obliterating every single planet that rolled their way.
"Balls" I agree that a solution was needed, but the Cabal was not the answer to this. They enjoyed the hell out of commiting genocide.
And not to get me wrong, I think insanely high of Namor that he recognized in the end that he was super wrong. Dude is the most proud person in the whole Marvel Universe and and I would never had thought that of all people he would be the one who admits that he was wrong and even tried to break the bread with the Black Panther, but this was a horrible act.

Well I read Vision vol 2 last night. I'm so late to the party, I've probably missed the moment to gush about it. It was literally perfect though. The range of emotions King manages to elicit throughout, and it's just a really fantastic exploration of what it is to be human, even when you're not. Uplifting, devastating, fascinating, creepy and wonderfully delivered in unison by the whole creative team (and that's just every time Sparky comes on panel!). A real run for the ages. The stinger is wonderful at the end too, and a great note to leave off on.

Also read Old Man Logan vol 2. I actually liked this more than volume 1. I appreciate some would find the book a little rudderless with stories like this, in context of where is the book is even going, but it felt very quintessentially *a wolverine story*, and very well executed in that respect. Logan tries to do something good, and death & chaos inevitably follow. It doesn't do anything particularly new but it felt right. Lemire nails the voice, the feel and the character, and Sorrentino brings that to life in all of it's horrific gory glory.

I think I'll echo what I think whatsinaname commented last week though, and say - really? 4 issues, and another old issue to pad the collection out? Silly. This was worse than collecting the Millar issue in volume 1. I understand it's awkward when you're looking at collecting a 3 issue arc and a stand alone tale and the potential slightness of that package, but just have patient and do 1-8, or just sell a cheaper slighter collection with 4 issues in it, I'd live with that.

Yeah, I am not even that mad at Stephan that he went in bed with Doom in the end, but it was way earlier when he joined the map makers or what the name of his guys were.

"Balls" I agree that a solution was needed, but the Cabal was not the answer to this. They enjoyed the hell out of commiting genocide.
And not to get me wrong, I think insanely high of Namor that he recognized in the end that he was super wrong. Dude is the most proud person in the whole Marvel Universe and of he admits that he was wrong and even tried to break the bread with the Black Panther, but this was a horrible act.

whether they enjoyed it or not was besides the point. It's absolutely the correct thing to do to blow up a single planet in order to spare two entire universes full of people. Any argument to the contrary is nonsensical. The illuminati put their own feelings of uncomfort about being personally responsible for death over the lives of literally quintillions of people.

it's insane.

yeah, the cabal were psychopaths, but without them Doom would not have had the time to come up with an effective plan to take the beyonders out. The point of the whole thing was that Doom (not Reed) was the ideal person to defeat the Beyonders. Reed was clueless here.

He was NOT the ideal person to reconstruct the universe- not because he was a tyrant, but because he wasn't willing to let go of what remained of universe 7, and spent his energy trying to patch together a piecemeal universe to cling to what he knew.

Reed was willing to give up the Marvel Universe to build a new one.

He was right in the beginning but super wrong in the end. And neither was Tony right.

wasn't the final conflict between the two based on Tony knowing that there was no way to stop the incursions, but letting them believe there was anyway to give them a sense of hope?

how was Tony wrong there?

Ross61

Man, I feel like the exact opposite. Between Remida's art and the split stories being kind of pointless(the fact that they are split I mean), and all the convoluted stuff with Waller/Hack/Harcourt.

I've gone way downhill with it when I was loving the early stuff of them going after Zod and the backstory stuff.
I feel the exact opposite since I actually like the partnership of JRJR and Danny Miki. A great colorist can make all the difference. And I love the story right now.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Eh i wouldn't say he was right in the Beginning considering he wouldn't even consider blowing earth to buy time. Unless i remembered it wrong

Depends. The Doom argument is of course a valid one, even while I still not know how Victor could spend the 10 years and how this fits in the timeline. That part of the book was a big mess on Hickmanns side. I have no idea when Doom learned about the other Beyonders or if he timetraveled or if the Molecule Man created artificial time. Because it was stated that the first Molecule Man was killed ten years ago. Also it makes no sense regarding the other Black Swans and how Doom could start a religion in this timespan.

Even then, nobody on side of the Iluminati knew that they were trying to buy more to time for him and it would have worked out when Doom really created artificially time for his doing.

Also, regarding Tony, I consider his overall acts in the story as why we was wrong. Cause you dont mess with the memorys of people to shut them out. And here I am still 100% on Steves side, Tony should not have done this/ encourage the others to help him on this part.

I feel the exact opposite since I actually like the partnership of JRJR and Danny Miki. A great colorist can make all the difference. And I love the story right now.

I wouldn't say I hate it, I was just way higher on it before this arc. It just feels like to me a lot of shit is being thrown together and trying to connect it all eventually. I know some stuff will probably be answered from the eventual Waller resurrection, but it seems weird how it's all being thrown out to me. Like there is too many moving pieces all at once. You got Rustam, Deadshot, Boomerang, Harcourt and then Hack who has already brought one person back to life.

I just read it all as a mess.

Just finished Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther run.

So... The thing hardcore BP fans feared was gonna happen has happened... Ish. Honestly though,
it's not that different from the beginning of Hudlin's run. Elected representatives, but T'Challa's still king.

Loved the ending though, and I think as a whole, though the run is the climax of years of tension and events, it works as a self-contained arc. One absolutely heavy on themes.
Perfect? Nope, but to me it definitely has a place in BP lore. A good, albeit polarizing place.

So remember how the MCU is apparently going to put Hela in Lady Death's role going by like year old rumors. I think they're correct after today.

Good to have Doom Patrol back. Some good progress going on this issue and the cliffhanger for the next is great. Really enjoying Casey as a member too, she's a great addition to the team. Especially since we're probably not going to have Rita as a member.

error4041

Speaking of Thor,
It's kinda funny that they hyped up Thor getting a hammer back for the whole Miniseries only for Thor to decide not to take it.

jurgen

Well I read Vision vol 2 last night. I'm so late to the party, I've probably missed the moment to gush about it. It was literally perfect though. The range of emotions King manages to elicit throughout, and it's just a really fantastic exploration of what it is to be human, even when you're not. Uplifting, devastating, fascinating, creepy and wonderfully delivered in unison by the whole creative team (and that's just every time Sparky comes on panel!). A real run for the ages. The stinger is wonderful at the end too, and a great note to leave off on.

I'd argue that Vision is one of - if not the - best book Marvel has put out in the past decade or so. Arguably the most important book they've put out since Millar's Ultimates 2.

So remember how the MCU is apparently going to put Hela in Lady Death's role going by like year old rumors. I think they're correct after today.

BRAND SYNERGY™

Actually question on the Flash reveal:

Wasn't there already a New 52 Thawne, with the yellow and black costume?

I think that's the same one.
He was going by Professor Zoom in his last appearance but I think he remembers everything now.

caliph95

We also found out who chained Eternity.
Basically someone from the first universe before the multiverse probably it's version Eternity who is getting sick of universes and multiverse rebooting and want it back to one universe which was so simple.

Hagi

Basically someone from the first universe before the multiverse probably it's version Eternity who is getting sick of universes and multiverse rebooting and want it back to one universe which was so simple.

I hope he or she is called
The Reader

I think that's the same one.
He was going by Professor Zoom in his last appearance but I think he remembers everything now.

It definitely seems like the same one.
With this scene being at Iron Heights and that being Thawne's last location.

Seems like he just remembers the other timeline suddenly for some reason. Maybe something in link with Action? Maybe the whole history bending stuff caused some ramifications?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Would be cool if they had a big overreaching arc to adress stuff liek this ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Where did we learn this? Ultimates?

It definitely seems like the same one.
With this scene being at Iron Heights and that being Thawne's last location.

Seems like he just remembers the other timeline suddenly for some reason. Maybe something in link with Action? Maybe the whole history bending stuff caused some ramifications?
At the same time
the GLC stuff went down. Manhattan had a busy week.

At the same time
the GLC stuff went down. Manhattan had a busy week.

If it is all true and intended this is probably the most in sync different DC books have been outside of the Tim Drake stuff(since Rebirth). Any other big things have all felt so out of sync, hell even the last issue of Flash had Waller in it.

Though the physical appearance does not match, it seems to be
The One Above All

jurgen

Haven't read Vision but how is it almost as important as say, Ms Marvel?

The best comparison I can make, at the risk of sounding like hyperbole, is that it's the closest thing Marvel has had to their own "Watchmen" in recent years.

It takes an extremely convoluted character and tells a story about family and how the presence of family will make you do the illogical and impossible. The fact that King uses a computer-driven, android, superhero family to explore this notion is extremely effective. Every damn panel, word balloon, and narration is super focused and drives everything forward.

There's a reason Marvel is re-releasing it in "Director's Cut" format this summer. It's completely unlike the bright, melodramatic, superhero slugfest that most Marvel books are these days. It abandons superhero tropes and uses those characters to tell a story effectively.

Wanderer5

Batman: The Animated Series on Amazon Prime.<3 Best thing for me regarding Prime Video is finally rewatching this series, and even got through Superman: The Animated series last year.

There's a reason Marvel is re-releasing it in "Director's Cut" format this summer. It's completely unlike the bright, melodramatic, superhero slugfest that most Marvel books are these days. It abandons superhero tropes and uses those characters to tell a story effectively.

There is a director's cut coming?

Top Bottom