• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What gaming sentiment bothers you the most overall?

"I can't relate to this character, so they shouldn't be the lead"

Fuck this so hard. As if the rest of us haven't had to make due for decades.

Baleoce

Open world / non linear design = inherently superior. A staggering amount of people hold this opinion instead of being able to appreciate a game for what it is.

Yeah sod this as well. Can't stand it.

Plum

"People are generally positive about a company and give them the benefit of the doubt sometimes..."

"...this makes them cult-like fanatics who would applaud the company for killing their dog."

The one that bothers me the most is the whole "Story doesn't matter, if i wanted a story i'd read a book!" thing when it comes to singleplayer games. Obviously gameplay is important but usually the point of a game is to tell you a story/get you to experience something via gameplay, they're just as important as each other.

Plum

The one that bothers me the most is the whole "Story doesn't matter, if i wanted a story i'd read a book!" thing when it comes to singleplayer games. Obviously gameplay is important but usually the point of a game is to tell you a story via gameplay, they're just as important as each other.

To add to this I'd like to add "what you do in gameplay has no impact on the game's story!" I find it intentionally holds back what we can see as "story" in video-games just because we don't want to improve.

Wulfram

"dark = mature". Or perhaps more "not dark = not mature"

I assume you mean when someone says they can't relate to a character because of gender or race or similar. If people don't relate to the character because they're an unlikable dick then they probably shouldn't be the lead.

Dervius

"This game is fun in coop, but then again so is everything so overall the game must be trash"

Some games can be designed entirely around the coop experience, because they aren't as enjoyable solo does not mean the game is trash.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Game is too linear.

I mean, what kind of argument is that? Some of the best games in history are linear. Bad game design makes games bad, not linearity.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
It doesn't mean that devs cant simply make battles a bit harder. Yes in some games if you over level you can get to a point of simply selecting attack.

But on the flip side, how many other games with action combat get to the exact same point where you can just walk thru crushing everything blindfolded? Most of them get that way.
I feel like most of the PS2-PS3 era saw JRPG devs trying to "spice up" the stale old turn-based combat systems. And like 9/10 times they ended up with systems that seemed really neat and novel, but once the novelty wore off it just made the battles much longer and more annoying than they should be.

There are a few that succeeded (e.g. SMT), but I am not necessarily looking for that kind of hardcore experience from every JRPG.

I've come to the conclusion that most JRPG gamers don't really want a challenge. They just want to feel like they're overcoming a challenge and feel as though they're constantly getting stronger.

That's a fair point for a lot of people though.
My 8 year old niece can buy maybe two games a year with her allowance, so obviously she is looking for a game she can play for a long time and not one she can finish in three hours.
I think it's fair when you're talking about buying a game or not (or waiting for a lower price), it becomes a stupid argument when you use this point to judge the game, saying things like "X is a bad game because I paid 20$ and it lasted 2 hours". Saying I'd rather buy something that will last longer for said 20$ is fair, but saying that a game is better than another because one lasts longer than the other (or has more hours per $) is where it stops making sense.

Bigotry is ok

So bigotry is an intolerance towards those who hold a different opinion from yours.

You can be bigoted against Islam, for example, or those who hold different political beliefs from yourself.

I must say I wholeheartedly agree because there is a lot of bigotry I'm seeing right now, and its from both sides.

There are those who are bigoted against the idea that there should be more inclusion in games. That, somehow, including more variety is "pandering".

Then there are those who will shut down anyone who voices an opinion that is even remotely right wing leaning. E.g. that we should be concerned about tokenism when we make games more representative of minority groups.

The fact of the matter is that there is very little genuine discussion around topics like these (not just the one I'm using as an example) and it saddens me.

The Middle ground is now a no mans land in games.

That's the gaming sentiment I'm most disturbed by.

PS. Yes I do think that more inclusiveness is a good thing. If you're going to respond to this post just bear that in mind.

Pokemaniac

"More options are always a good thing"

No they aren't. Good design comes from restrictions just as often as it comes from options.

"All games should have character creators"

All character customization places limitations on the stories that can be told.

pashmilla

Banned
So bigotry is an intolerance towards those who hold a different opinion from yours.

You can be bigoted against Islam, for example, or those who hold different political beliefs from yourself.

I must say I wholeheartedly agree because there is a lot of bigotry I'm seeing right now, and its from both sides.

There are those who are bigoted against the idea that there should be more inclusion in games. That, somehow, including more variety is "pandering".

Then there are those who will shut down anyone who voices an opinion that is even remotely right wing leaning. E.g. that we should be concerned about tokenism when we make games more representative of minority groups.

The fact of the matter is that there is very little genuine discussion around topics like these (not just the one I'm using as an example) and it saddens me.

The Middle ground is now a no mans land in games.

That's the gaming sentiment I'm most disturbed by.

PS. Yes I do think that more inclusiveness is a good thing. If you're going to respond to this post just bear that in mind.

Sorry, but if someone is right wing and arguing about "tokenism", I'm going to assume they're concern trolling. Shutting down people who want to take rights away from minorities and women isn't bigotry, it's fighting to be treated with some fucking respect.

pandering/sjws/only if the writing is good

This for sure, but that last one pisses me off the most. "Only if the writing is good" often means making whatever they're talking about--gender, sexual orientation, race, etc--as invisible as possible so they can ignore it. That has no correlation with quality.

Puru

When someone complain about the skin color/sex/clothes of characters. That include both sides of the coin.

Handheld games aren't as good as console/pc.
Meanwhile after every vita port it seems that feeling completely fades away for that specific game and home console players are salivating for a mh game.

X game/sequel should be made by platinum or from software. No thanks.

PillarEN

"Its alright for me to play these games without paying for them because..."
"...they were given away for free" :)

Unfinished games being released. Technically, every game is always unfinished if you didn't give yourself a deadline because there is always something where you go "oh we could have made this better. Oh I wish we could have included that vehicle. Oh this enemy could have had this or that attack." I'm not talking about that.
I'm talking about a game being released where it abuses the fact that it can be patched at a later date. That is not the proper way of using patches. Regardless of what was cut and wasn't cut from the final game, the basic polish that is expected from a finished game should be there day 1. That way we don't have embarrassments like Mass Effect: Andromeda and Driver 3. If the game is not completed in a presentable state then do not release it. Unfortunately for D3 that game didn't have patch luxury on the PS2/Xbox. Can't remember if the PC version ever came out.

jryeje29

"Gamers putting down other types of gamers" or even worse

"people who believe their hobby of choice is better than ours just cuz"

"pcmasterrace vs console peasants"

"games can't come to pc because console exclusives are too important or vice versa"

Why we can't we just all be gamers who enjoy games and stick by each other because we're a relatively new industry still trying to prosper. Just because you want X game on ps4 or Xbox to be exclusive for your silly cold war doesnt mean other people shouldn't get to enjoy it. No money is lost to you because of other people playing your "exclusive". I have a friend whose girlfriend had the audacity to tell me she hates people who play games because it's a waste of time and money then proceedes to tell me how she like to go to concerts. And my god people don't make fun of or put down another gamer for their preference of game. Just because you like Call of Duty and talking to your friend about cod and then you the girl in front of you with her 3ds is playing Pokemon doesnt make you more gamer or give you a right to make fun of anyone behind their back. (College class experience).

I have a bunch more but let me stop here before I end up writing a book.

zenspider

"Old games have no value"

I hate how people spit on things like retro releases claiming they're worthless now.

Just because something is old, doesn't mean it's not worth any money at all anymore.

I think Chris Kohler (for Kotaku?) made the point that this is essentially on Nintendo's VC for putting a price on games by era, i.e. NES (1985-1990) priced at 5 USD, etc.

For me, pretty much anytime the sentiment that a game is too expensive for what it is (usually genre or style) bugs me, especially since for me the opposite is usually true - AAA single-player style games are generally sub 20 hours (or padded); I play through once and move on to the next, versus "no content" games like Splatoon and SFV, arcade-like experiences like Dariusburst or Wild Guns Reloaded, and upcoming multiplayer games like USFII and ARMS will have me playing for hundreds of hours.

Review outlets tied monetary value (Gamespot, et al) propogate this, but what drives me crazy is that we had a really good metric for value - 25 cents per play - that we lost for that style of game since the death of the arcade, so now 99 cent mobile (and the aforementioned VC) is somehow the metric for value when it's totally inappropriate.

Some Nintendo fans' attitudes towards certain franchises are extremely hypocritical. If you think:

Ocarina of Time > Skyward Sword : "Good taste, bro"

Super Metroid > Other M : "Good taste, bro"

Melee > Smash 4 : "Tourneyfag!!! Elitist!!! Stuck in the past!!!"

Really gets grating after a while. Seems to be more of a problem in dedicated Nintendo communities than places like GAF.

The Dude

I feel like most of the PS2-PS3 era saw JRPG devs trying to "spice up" the stale old turn-based combat systems. And like 9/10 times they ended up with systems that seemed really neat and novel, but once the novelty wore off it just made the battles much longer and more annoying than they should be.

There are a few that succeeded (e.g. SMT), but I am not necessarily looking for that kind of hardcore experience from every JRPG.

I've come to the conclusion that most JRPG gamers don't really want a challenge. They just want to feel like they're overcoming a challenge and feel as though they're constantly getting stronger.

I love both styles, but my point is that action rpgs I get to points where I am just demolishing anything and everyone. Action games or combat systems aren't endless with variety, they are fun but they have the same things that turn based systems run into and it's once you're powerful it is a mash fest most of the time. But I'm ok with both as I know what to expect... I just simply enjoy both styles in different games

RMI

Banned
people who shit on other people because of the games they like, e.g. calling someone a casual for liking certain games or casting aspersions on people for liking anime games, etc.

like, how sad is your life that you have to shit on other people for what video games they choose to enjoy? If you are the pinnacle of refined taste maybe you should be busy enjoying all those things instead of being an asshole.

This for sure, but that last one pisses me off the most. "Only if the writing is good" often means making whatever they're talking about--gender, sexual orientation, race, etc--as invisible as possible so they can ignore it. That has no correlation with quality.

The trouble is that, from what I can understand based on discussions at GAF in the past, trans characters should be relatively invisible. In the sense that, the kind of short, blunt relationships found in gaming do not provide the proper amount of time/depth required for an average trans individual to be comfortable sharing that aspect of their past. A male-to-female character should simply be written and portrayed as female, and should not be happy to deadname themselves immediately in the way depicted in this thread.

U-R

"I will buy any hyped AAA game, including the ones in the genres i don't like, and I will ignore any indie title, including the ones in the genres I like.

Thus I will then complain that gaming is no longer fun for me."

CHC

"More options = better in all cases."

Restraint is one of the hallmarks of design, in general, but especially in games.

Puruzi

Banned
I fucking hate that people think everything needs to be open world with a burning passion. Linear games are not bad and are often better than open world games.

Carcetti

"I miss the time when videogames weren't about people or politics."

translation:

"I miss the time when videogames were only about politics and people I personally liked"

Indie games aren't real games.

and how people see no value in their hobby. Everything should be cheap and delivered on a sliver platter to people it seems.

Developer "admits to being wrong" when patching something out/in to a game.

Consumers blindly preordering stuff and then saying it's despicable when it isn't what they expected. This happens EVERY game. Just don't pre order! It's not hard!

I was reading some YouTube comments the other day about how Capcom was "disgusting" for reusing some Monster Hunter animations in one part of a four tier boss fight in one of the four campaigns in RE6. Get a grip.

Twiforce

When people argue against allowing options that make games more accessible, and insist that others should just have to "git gud" like them

Examples: people arguing against an optional easy mode in Dark Souls. More recently, people arguing for the removal of things like fast travel or save anywhere from Breath of the Wild

ogbg

That nothing should be missable or hidden and similarly that it should be possible to unlock everything. Then to top it all off you have a published list of "achievements" just in case it wasn't obvious enough already

The sentiment that every game needs to have RPG elements so players feel "accomplished" for watching an XP bar fill. Fuck that noise.

RootCause

People trying to pass their opinions as facts, and telling others they're objectively wrong for liking x game better than y game.

Top Bottom