• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What gaming sentiment bothers you the most overall?

pablito

"The fanbase turned me off from this."

I won't avoid anything because of a fanbase. I might delay getting into it once the fanbase shuts up, though, if they ever do. Or if I don't see the product as flawless as they do, the flaws will stick out more to me.

Mainly any sort of "censorship" bullshit. Off the top of my head, the stuff surrounding Star Ocean 5 and Overwatch were particularly embarrassing, as were much of the Nintendo controversies. Claiming inclusion of women/non-white ethnicities is "SJW pandering" is also a good one.

"Sakurai made Melee great on accident and Brawl bad on purpose" is also particularly teeth-gnashing for me; actually, for whatever reason, Smash Bros. is host to a lot of weird conspiracy theories (a phenomenon even Sakurai has noted) and I'm still trying to figure out why. While I'm at it, certain complaints regarding Smash 4 have always struck me as either being hyperbolic (stage design) or downright head-scratching (Wii U's Classic Mode). Consequently, I always feel alone in enjoying them. :(

Also, not sure if this counts, but I've found discussions surrounding Mario 3D World and Skyward Sword get so overly defensive I can no longer participate in relevant threads for my own sanity.

Nick

Gamer's that think every Zelda is the best game ever made. I love that series, but people like that bug the fuck out of me.

"Sakurai made Melee great on accident and Brawl bad on purpose" is also particularly teeth-gnashing for me; actually, for whatever reason, Smash Bros. is host to a lot of weird conspiracy theories (a phenomenon even Sakurai has noted) and I'm still trying to figure out why. While I'm at it, certain complaints regarding Smash 4 have always struck me as either being hyperbolic (stage design) or downright head-scratching (Wii U's Classic Mode). Consequently, I always feel alone in enjoying them. :(

I'd imagine the games' weird duality in their appeal to both casual and competitive play probably makes them ripe for this. Lots of people are pretty invested in "interpreting" Smash one way or another ("Smash isn't a fighting game" vs. "Fox only Final Destination") and things tend to get heated and thus overblown, as the internet tends to do. It's kind of tough to know exactly who Smash was intended for out of the gate, but similarly to Pokemon it's kind of grown in two different directions at once as time had gone on.

wamberz1

I won't avoid anything because of a fanbase.
Oh OK, cool-
I might delay getting into it once the fanbase shuts up, though, if they ever do.
Or if I don't see the product as flawless as they do, the flaws will stick out more to me.
See, that is understandable. At least you might actually give the game a shot, and decide you don't like it. I mean, it would be preferable if you could just turn off your expectations and go into the game neutral, but everyone is human, so it's understandable that high expectations can lead to disappointment if they are not met.

But that's not what I'm complaining about. What's stupid to me is seeing other people ravenously enjoying a product and going "wow, other people are enjoying something, I'm going to make sure to not try/play it based on that." and coating it with this "annoying fanbase" phrase.

Top Bottom