• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gremlins 3 has been written & is real. No CGI, twisted & dark

Ricky_R

Man, I would've thought Gremlins 2 would be loathed here.

I mean, I enjoyed it, but it felt like a circus. A very disorganized one.

I still remember going to Gremlins as a child, and being terrified going to sleep that night. That was the scariest movie I had seen up to that point. LOL

Chuckie

Critters was way better than Gremlins. Bring that back instead plz. Leo can star in it.

lKkCaXq.gif

Gremlins is better

DeathyBoy

Banned
Gremlins 1 is great. 2 is trash.

Here's hoping it'll be in the same style as the original.

Edit: "trash" may be a bit harsh a word. But it's certainly nowhere near as good as the original.

They're both perfect films. Gremlins is a perfect horror film. Gremslins 2 is the best live action cartoon ever made.

I'm British, doesn't stop it being a Hodge Podge mess of random ideas and stupid characters.
It's the suicide squad of the 90s.

What absolute bollocks.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Chances of this being good are very low, Dante or no Dante.

But they should bring back Dante.

People have been banned for less here than calling Gremlins 2 trash.

One of my favorites back in the day, I even enjoyed the NES game.

Gremlins 2 is gonzo cartoon maximalism at its finest. Yeah, it's exhausting, but it's endlessly creative and playful, translating Chuck Jones cartoon world into live action (in case the opening Bugs short didn't make the intentions clear). I prefer the small town horror charm of the first film, but the sequel is a brilliantly self aware follow up whose self-reflixive ambition is hard to ignore.

I'm hoping that whatever Gremlins 3 ends up being, it won't just be "Gremlins 1 but worse". If any lesson can be taken from The New Batch it's that they shouldn't be afraid to get weird and experiment with the formula.

Tobor

This is how you do it.

No reboot. No soft reboot. Just bring back the characters, add some new ones to carry forward, and keep the tone of the original.

Thank goodness we have one more series that isn't ruined by rebooting.

bengraven

As a kid I loved Gremlins 2 because of how much fun it was and I'll be honest there was a ton of hype for it. I got excited every time I found out there was going to be a new gremlin.

As an adult I can appreciate it as a response to the first film, a parody of films that copied it, and a satire of classic horror wrapped up in a very self-aware package.

Koomaster

I must have been at that sweet-spot in age where I have fond memories of both movies. They each have their strengths in my mind. I'm definitely on board for #3. :D

The original script for Gremlins was much much darker than what we got. It was more of a straight horror film with Gizmo turning into a Gremlin along with a scene of Billy's Mom's head rolling down the steps. Then Spielberg got involved and much was changed. I'm curious what Columbus has for this one. Hopefully, it's not just a boring retread and has its own identity. These are probably the most important films from my childhood and I don't want them tarnished. A sequel or reboot is inevitable though.

And yeah, Dante or bust.

entremet

This is how you do it.

No reboot. No soft reboot. Just bring back the characters, add some new ones to carry forward, and keep the tone of the original.

Thank goodness we have one more series that isn't ruined by rebooting.
Amen.

Also people hate Gremlins 2?!

What the hell? I even got the satire a wee lad.

People like Gremlins 2?

Yikes..
I love Gremlins 2. I loved all the newer different crazy gremlin types. Rambo Gizmo was he cooler, too...I always tried making one of those paper clip bows, but it never really worked :( Also I had the Gremlins 2 game for game boy, and I played the ever loving shit out of it. It was tough!

KingV

Quite excited for this.

The original Gremlins is racist as hell though. I was going to show it to my kid since I love it when I was little... but by modern standards, it's really unacceptable.

Busty

Banned
This has been in development at Warners for years.

If Gremlins gets a shot in the arm from Ready Player One I can see them green lighting this pretty quickly.

Yeah. We're called Brits. We always liked Gremlins 2.

Agreed. It's basically a live action Looney Tunes short and it is amazing.

Chuckie

Quite excited for this.

The original Gremlins is racist as hell though. I was going to show it to my kid since I love it when I was little... but by modern standards, it's really unacceptable.

Racist as hell?

That is the first time I heard that tbh.

btrboyev

I'll never understand the love Gtemlins 2 seems to get here. it was a huge let down. Even my 12 year old self knew that when I saw it in theaters.

I adore Gremlins 2. There's so much creativity in what they did with it that it's always so interesting.

Scott Bromley said it best: it's probably the closest thing we're ever going to get to a live action Looney Tunes movie

Top Bottom