• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Sean*O

I knew of the PC Engine well before the TG16 released in the US. I had the original Turbo and the original bulky ass CD ROM. Some great games there, Y's and Cosmic Fantasy II among them.

Yes Boss!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711841

It's sad that the first paragraph of my review there has been proven accurate, given the near-complete lack of replies...

Well, if it makes you happy, I had that game imported when I was a teen in high school. Imported it for my original TG-16 Unit (big bulky one in which I used the Hu adapter and the import system card).

Might get more traction if dove-tailed into the shmup or this thread. I know I missed your thread.

Well imo its got most of what you need if you can deal with decent load times. Lacks Metal Slug 3, Garou Mark of the Wolves, Spinmasters, Shock Troopers series, Blazing Star, and some other stuff i'm sure i'm forgetting.

It does have:
Metal Slug 1 and 2, Mutation Nation, Cyber Lip, Pulstar, King of the Monsters 2, Samurai Shodown 1 and 2, Robo Army, Top Hunter, Sengoku 1 and 2, Aero Fighters 1-3, Magician Lord, Ironclad, Nam 1975, Crossed Swords 1 and 2.

Not a bad selection, and some cool exclusive arranged music, but its not as full as cart based.

Also has WINDJAMMERS (Flying Power Disc)

This is important.

antibolo

Banned
Well imo its got most of what you need if you can deal with decent load times. Lacks Metal Slug 3, Garou Mark of the Wolves, Spinmasters, Shock Troopers series, Blazing Star, and some other stuff i'm sure i'm forgetting.

It does have:
Metal Slug 1 and 2, Mutation Nation, Cyber Lip, Pulstar, King of the Monsters 2, Samurai Shodown 1 and 2, Robo Army, Top Hunter, Sengoku 1 and 2, Aero Fighters 1-3, Magician Lord, Ironclad, Nam 1975, Crossed Swords 1 and 2.

Not a bad selection, and some cool exclusive arranged music, but its not as full as cart based.

Lacking all Metal Slugs starting from X makes it a total deal breaker for me. The original game is OK but not enough, and 2 is a crappy beta version of X that should have never existed.

It also lacks Magical Drop III (II is not as good) and Money Idol Exchanger, which are essential if you care about puzzle games.

Also, Super Dodge Ball.

And of course it lacks everything after the system was discontinued, which was relatively early in the Neo Geo's total lifespan.

IrishNinja

been picking up sticks for the remaining classic systems i own - any impressions here on the weird little turbo one? i'm seeing it for around $30, which isn't too bad, just wondering how it holds up/feels.

Dizzy-4U

Hey guys, sorta off-topic but not really, are there any shows similar to Retro Core?

You know, obscure 8/16/32 bits japanese games. I really like Retro Core, but I've seen it all already.

Jaeger

Love the PCE. Considering investing in one of the SHARP made PCE systems. Looks sweet, and rare. Both of which do something to my soul (and pants).

Then I can finally on day own a physical copy of the real Dracula X.

Don't get me started on the Bonk games (Zonk inlcuded)! So much fun.

Then the shmups, admittadly most I wasn't able to play until years later via Emulation.

^ wow, I know Sharp made some Nintendo stuff (Fami Titler + SF-1 *drool*), but I wasn't even aware they made unique PC Engine hardware too. It looks cool.

Jaeger

^ wow, I know Sharp made some Nintendo stuff (Fami Titler + SF-1 *drool*), but I wasn't even aware they made unique PC Engine hardware too. It looks cool.

Dude, I have NEVER seen that. Incredible. I love discovering new stuff like that. What else you got?

Btw, there is a seller on eBay is has TONS of this stuff. hit-japan. he has one of those TITLER consoles you mentioned. Two I think. Complete.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Check out what I just picked up.

TA17qg2.jpg

Region and S-Video modded.

ZealousD

Need to get some games though. Dracula X, Ys Book I & II, and Lords of Thunder especially.

Now that I've got a PC Engine the Japanese Hu Card library has opened up to me too. Aside from getting some games cheaper, what are some good import friendly HuCard games that are Japan exclusive?

Need to get some games though. Dracula X, Ys Book I & II, and Lords of Thunder especially.

Now that I've got a PC Engine the Japanese Hu Card library has opened up to me too. Aside from getting some games cheaper, what are some good import friendly HuCard games that are Japan exclusive?
I like the Image Fights and Valkyrie.

Celine

Momotaru katsugeki

Any tips on finding a Duo outside of ebay? I have the TG-16 + CD from years back, but a) I don't have a super system card and b) I'm kinda scared to see if the bad boy still works as I know these things tend to have problems over the years.

Or is there any place where you can still get hu-card converters?

antibolo

Banned
Why outside of eBay?

I bought one of doujindance's modded Duo-Rs (RGB out, region switch, new CD lens) and I'm super happy with it. Can't recommend him enough.

Yes Boss!

Why outside of eBay?

I bought one of doujindance's modded Duo-Rs (RGB out, region switch, new CD lens) and I'm super happy with it. Can't recommend him enough.

Seconded.

Easier with a region-mod. Those Hu adapters are now pricey. And they are janky cheap anyways.

Hu Card regional converters are pretty scarce and expensive these days. Most people do the internal mod or just buy an import system.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Definitely need to start searching for one. I never even played the system, so there are tons of games to check out :)

ZealousD

It's an original PC Engine + the CD-ROM2 and Interface Unit (with the top cover removed)

http://fmkorea.net/files/attach/images/4330072/017/170/036/77adb60027c03367f0eb4cac967c4ad3.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/PC-Engine-Interface-Unit-IFU-30-CD-ROM-System-Boxed-PC-Engine-Console-JP-1891-/00/s/ODAwWDgwMA==/z/ECgAAOxy-W9SOUl3/$%28KGrHqVHJCEFIu26JE7yBSOUl3!H2w~~60_35.JPG

They're available secondhand online though most of the CD units are defective and break easily.

I got really lucky and bought mine locally from a shop.

I do have the top cover, it's just not in the picture

Teknoman

Is New Adventure Island rare? I cant find the hucard for less than 70-80. NA or JP version (though i'd need the JP Hucard).

baphomet

I swear, there isnt a single turbografx 16 anywhere in Denver Metro. Ive looked nonstop and the only one i came across was rusted into nothing. If anyone on here has an extra, even console only, you should pm me. Its starting to drive me crazy.

Check out what I just picked up.

TA17qg2.jpg

Region and S-Video modded.

Here I am again... thrown in the endless loop of "do I get one of those or a Duo-R?" :p

The case looks better and I already have a grey Core Grafx to go with it and it's cheaper, the Duo-R is more reliable but more expensive...

I guess I'll decide on the spot when the moment to buy one will come.

ZealousD

Here I am again... thrown in the endless loop of "do I get one of those or a Duo-R?" :p

The case looks better and I already have a grey Core Grafx to go with it and it's cheaper, the Duo-R is more reliable but more expensive...

I just checked with the guy I bought mine from, and he actually replaced the gears in the unit with brass gears. It can make a terrible noise during loading but that should improve its reliability.

Yes Boss!

CoreGrafx and the briefcase is THE MOST EXQUISITE combination.

I'm ready to unload my TG16+CD+Super CD-ROM^2 card with games. Is ebay a good place to sell these?

I see one for sale for a decent price on eBay, seller is from Hong Kong, apparently has US.JPN hucard switch. Do these tend to hold up better than the Duos as far as dying? I also have a US TG-CD so can I swap CD units into the adapter if one dies?

Teknoman

Has anyone ever had any issues with their PC engine DUO av cable becoming loose?

I've had my system for a year now (got a refurbished one from PCenginefx.com) and its been working perfectly...its just that lately it seems like I have to mess with the composite connection (the part of the cable that plugs into the side of the system) at times. If I move it just a bit, the colors on the screen get a little darker / sometimes the sound seems like it'll go in and out.

Of course it could just be me needing to replug the cable, and its loosely sitting in the system at times from people moving around near the system.

baphomet

Found this cheap very recently so I picked it up to mess with. Controller is still not here yet, so I can't play it yet. That's the reason it was so hard to get a good picture of the gameplay in RGB because the attract mode in Keith Courage has him jumping around nonstop. This mod was actually a bitch to do. I would be alright never having to do another RGB mod on this thing. It does take a standard Genesis 2 RGB cable, so that makes it a lot easier overall. Also added the power light on there just for the hell of it.

IrishNinja

^damn, explains why not many others do the mod, then...looks great from here though!

my Duo's still not reading CD's, doujindace sent the replacement resistor but i dont know anyone out here comfortable with soldering, so it might be a while...it's gonna be a fantastic unit once i finally get it where it should've been when i first bought it

Mzo

Got my US Duo back from KeithCourage on the pcenginefx forums. He did a fantastic job changing out the caps (CD audio had to warm up before working) and region-modding the system. Unfortunately, he didn't have a way to test RGB output or know how to set it up to use the Gen 2 cable, so I settled for S-video for now (which still looks amazing, btw).

Finally got to play Bikkuriman World and use my arcade card to play CD Strider. Best day. Played some Valis and Riot Zone, too!

biocat

I see one for sale for a decent price on eBay, seller is from Hong Kong, apparently has US.JPN hucard switch. Do these tend to hold up better than the Duos as far as dying? I also have a US TG-CD so can I swap CD units into the adapter if one dies?

I had my CD unit die maybe 8+ years back. I ordered another one direct from Turbo Zone Direct. lol

I really want to take the train to Akihabara and grab Kaze Kiri today. Have to resist the urge...

Top Bottom