• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Yes Boss!

tumblr_inline_msb2zmGtGH1rz9ifr.jpg

Ooohhh!

Nice catch! Simple and light cheap enough to tack on to the October AmiAmi order.

Celine

Wow, Kabuki Ittohryan looks fabulous.
Best animation I've seen on the system.
AI and balance isn't as good as SF2 or FF2 but it's really a fun SF2 clone.

Best original fighting game on PC Engine?

Fatal Furt Special is a very well done port.
It retains the arcade feel.

I've rarely played anything not Turbografx/PCE for the past six weeks... and as a result now I've spent way too much money on import PC Engine games. Plus I also spent the cash to get my CD drive fixed, finally, and my TG16 region modded. Uh... yeah. But at least the games are awesome!

To say one negative thing though, based on first impressions I think I actually like the Sega Master System version of Ys I more than Ys I & II for the TGCD. Yeah, crazy, I know, but I like the more strategic combat of the SMS version... on the TGCD you move so fast, and they cut out most of the strategy of the "try to hit enemies off-angle or from the back" stuff in favor of "just bump into them while zooming around really fast". At least at the beginning, it's a much, MUCH easier game, too, on TGCD. I got through the first boss in minutes! I'd rather have to actually think a bit, as I have to on the SMS. Plus the SMS version actually plays in a larger area of the screen than the Turbo CD release! It has smaller borders around the play window. That huge border on the TGCD version is too large, and I see that all three TGCD Ys games, and both of the Dragon Slayer games too, look like that. Disappointing. The music's great of course, though. But window size aside, maybe the TGCD version gets better in the Ys II part? I'll have to play it and see.

On the other hand though, Final Blaster, L-Dis, and Avenger are all quite good shmups... I've been playing Avenger particularly. Good game, and it's definitely under-rated. Daisenpuu is good as well, and the TG16 (PCE) version of Twin Cobra (Kyukyoku Tiger, technically) is the best console version for sure, the Genesis version may look better but it's way too hard. But maybe the best shmup I've gotten is Down Load... very good game! W-Ring is also great. Oh, and BC mode in Sidearms Special is interesting... I beat the US HuCard version a month ago (owned it for years, only finally put in the time to beat it... took the better part of a week. The same was true for Blazing Lazers.), and BC mode on this CD release is a LOT harder. It's very interesting to play, though, with shorter but harder levels, checkpoints instead of respawning where you die, different weapons and enemy patterns, etc.

baphomet

Should be ordering my RGB and region modded turbo duo r tomorrow. Can't wait to get it. I need a nice extension cord for the controller though. Does anyone know exactly what cable it is? It's a standard cable so I know I can just use that instead of paying $30 for one specifically for tg16.

Mzo

Should be ordering my RGB and region modded turbo duo r tomorrow. Can't wait to get it. I need a nice extension cord for the controller though. Does anyone know exactly what cable it is? It's a standard cable so I know I can just use that instead of paying $30 for one specifically for tg16.
And you shouldn't because US TG16 controller ports are different from US Turbo Duo/Japan PC Engine/Duo R/RX ports.

Basically everything is the same except stupid US Turbografx.

Also, did someone say PC Engine bootlegs?

BUYJn37IYAAYNWJ.jpg:small

wow, never even saw MM like that, that's interesting!

TG16 Megaman 1 (Rockman) is a fanmade homebrew port of the NES game. There's a HuCard version and a Super CD version out there for download. The same guy did several other partial games, but Megaman 1 might be the only one completed... not certain though. The TG16 and NES have similar CPUs, which is why the project was possible.

IrishNinja

^ahahaha brilliant image

and he's done it before! you contacted him yet? he might not know there's interest at the moment

*edit ohhh you want a duo-rX? now i dunno

Shining

Plus that 6-button pad is awesome.

Speaking of 6 button pad for PCE.
What's better Fighting Commander by Hori, Avenue 6 pad or the one that came with the RX?
I only got one Avenue 6 for my fighting games.

I have tried em all, and i have to vote for the Hori Fighting Commander. Feels kind of like the SNES controller but without the shoulder buttons. The D-PAD is awesome.

Mzo

What is the difference between the Duo R and the RX?

From everything I've seen it seems to just be the controller. That's weird.

Celine

What is the difference between the Duo R and the RX?

From everything I've seen it seems to just be the controller. That's weird.
Yep, that's the main difference.
RX came out in 94 when Arcade Card was released and along it a handful fighting games that required 6 button pad.

IrishNinja

man, this fuckin' Duo-R...it's great, but i finally had some friends/local gaffers get the resistors tightened (wasnt giving enough power to the CD drive to read discs), i swear we got Valis 2 going and they left, i literally turned it on later right about where they left it by the entertainment unit, it's right back to "PLEASE SET DISC" error. shit cannot be this fragile...a region free hu-card reader is awesome, but i need the disc reading to be more on point!

Shane

Will have to make a rather large coffee and read through all these retro threads proper soon. So many memories, insights and inspiration. That XRGB-mini purchase is getting close now.

I own the Japanese version of Spatterhouse. No console though. Always considered buying the NES Splatterhouse game too. Love the series.

Teknoman

Will have to make a rather large coffee and read through all these retro threads proper soon. So many memories, insights and inspiration. That XRGB-mini purchase is getting close now.

I own the Japanese version of Spatterhouse. No console though. Always considered buying the NES Splatterhouse game too. Love the series.

You should grab one again. I'm sure you've beaten the game already...but Halloween is coming up :p

baphomet

I hate that whenever I have plenty of money and try and buy an RGB Turbo Duo, doujindance doesn't have any for sale. Or he has a boxed one or an RX for more than I want to spend. Already have my Turbo Everdrive, extension cord, and 6 button controller ordered. I just need him to post an unboxed R, and me see it before someone else buys the damn thing.

d+pad

Hopefully it's OK to post this here. If not, let me know and I'll remove it right away.

Anyway, after much hemming and hawing I've decided to sell my complete-in-box original/white PC Engine. A big part of me doesn't want to sell it, as it's a system I've dreamed of owning since I was a kid. The fact is, though, that I rarely play it. So, rather than keep it around just so I can stare at it, I've decided to sell it to someone who can give it a better home.

Here's a link to its eBay auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200964214148?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

If anyone's interested and has any questions about it, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them as quickly as possible.

Hmm...I remember wanting a thread for this a few months ago, but not seeing one. Don't know how I missed it!

Anyway, this is my measly collection:

And here is my TurboGrafx-16 in action (with no controllers plugged in!):

I keep meaning to buy more games, but haven't gotten around to it. Heh.
There were a few I had in mind to get, but I can't remember them exactly right now...so any recommendations would be nice!

d+pad

Hmm...I remember wanting a thread for this a few months ago, but not seeing one. Don't know how I missed it!

Anyway, this is my measly collection:

And here is my TurboGrafx-16 in action (with no controllers plugged in!):

There were a few I had in mind to get, but I can't remember them exactly right now...so any recommendations would be nice!

Not a bad start at all, if you ask me! As for recommendations: you only have the TG-16 base unit, right? Not the CD attachment? If so, the first two Bonk games are a must, as is Air Zonk. Bomberman '93 is another (Bomberman '94 was Japan-only, right--if not, get that one instead). Other than that, there's Chew man Fu, Devil's Crush (sequel to Alien Crush), Fantasy Zone, Galaga '90, Ninja Spirit and Parasol Stars (a MUST!), among others.

Also, I'd highly recommend tracking down some sort of converter that will allow you to play Japanese games, as there are numerous Japan-only/PCE-only HuCards that are very much worth playing, IMO.

Kobiekun

I've owned Ys Book I & II for years. Finally got around to playing it and am having a blast.

Title.jpg

Beat Book I!
BookI_Floor25.jpg

And now on to Book II
BookII_Town.jpg

Hi Bernice
BookII_Bernice.jpg

Celine

Got a gamer friend whom visited me yesterday.
I did show him the PC Engine Duo starting from Legendary Axe to Sapphire.
He was bloody impressed when the later was displayed (but was hooked to LA gameplay).

I've owned Ys Book I & II for years. Finally got around to playing it and am having a blast.
Awesome, awesome game.

Celine

Soldier Blade, Super Star Soldier, Final Blaster, Air Zonk, Legendary Axe, New Adventure Island, Bonk 2, Devil Crush is better than Alien, Splatterhouse, Neutopia 1&2, Military Madness, R-Type 1&2, Bomberman 93, Ninja Spirit.

Not a bad start at all, if you ask me! As for recommendations: you only have the TG-16 base unit, right? Not the CD attachment? If so, the first two Bonk games are a must, as is Air Zonk. Bomberman '93 is another (Bomberman '94 was Japan-only, right--if not, get that one instead). Other than that, there's Chew man Fu, Devil's Crush (sequel to Alien Crush), Fantasy Zone, Galaga '90, Ninja Spirit and Parasol Stars (a MUST!), among others.

Also, I'd highly recommend tracking down some sort of converter that will allow you to play Japanese games, as there are numerous Japan-only/PCE-only HuCards that are very much worth playing, IMO.

Soldier Blade, Super Star Soldier, Final Blaster, Air Zonk, Legendary Axe, New Adventure Island, Bonk 2, Devil Crush is better than Alien, Splatterhouse, Neutopia 1&2, Military Madness, R-Type 1&2, Bomberman 93, Ninja Spirit.

Thanks, guys! I actually have Bonk's Adventure, Bomberman '93, and Soldier Blade on the Wii Virtual Console, along with Lords of Thunder and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, though...I wouldn't mind getting the originals. Oh, I also have Fantasy Zone on the Master System and on the PlayStation 3 via Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. Is the TurboGrafx-16 version still worth it? It's one of my favorite shoot 'em ups, so I wouldn't really mind getting another version if it was worth it.

I thought about getting a few of those suggested games before (Devil's Crush, Parasol Stars, R-Type, Splatterhouse), but I forgot! I got the system back in February but haven't bought anything besides some stuff I found locally for it, and I haven't really bothered looking online much for more games for it, so I kinda forgot what I wanted to get in the first place. :/

Thanks for reminding me of stuff I forgot, as well as suggesting more stuff! I'll look into getting some stuff online.
I haven't bought much retro stuff online lately, and I should change that. Finding TurboGrafx-16 stuff around here is hard, and the one place that I really saw anything (a Play N Trade about an hour from here) got closed. :(
There was also a place in a flea market I went to a few times that had some games, but the guy there wasn't selling them without the console. Heh.

Oh, yeah, I don't have a CD attachment. I haven't found any at a good price yet. Same with a PC Engine game converter, which I really wanted to get for a few games, like Valkyrie no Densetsu. I was thinking about just getting a Turbo Duo or something along those lines sometime down the road. Haven't decided for sure yet, though.

d+pad

Oh, I also have Fantasy Zone on the Master System and on the PlayStation 3 via Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. Is the TurboGrafx-16 version still worth it? It's one of my favorite shoot 'em ups, so I wouldn't really mind getting another version if it was worth it.

I'd say it's worth it if you like the game in general, esp. since the TG-16 version should be pretty cheap these days.

Mzo

Got a gamer friend whom visited me yesterday.
I did show him the PC Engine Duo starting from Legendary Axe to Sapphire.
He was bloody impressed when the later was displayed (but was hooked to LA gameplay).
I played Legendary Axe for the first time ever this year and was VERY impressed by its gameplay and level design. Super fun game to learn and beat. The only weird thing is how you transfer full momentum when you change directions in the air.

It's always hilarious to unleash a fully powered-up axe strike on something like a butterfly. SHA-BOOOOOOM

I managed to find Shubibinman 1 and 3 and Winds of Thunder recently.
Now I'm only missing Super Star Soldier and Soldier Blade to finish my PC Engine collection.

I also still need something to play CD games, but that will come next year.

And Sapphire... but that will never come :(

I'm looking around for the PSP version but I still haven't seen a copy yet.

gryz

Banned
finally got my xrgb mini, PCE already looks great with just the composite input, not sure if I'm willing to do the rgb mod yet

Dicer

Banned
What do you guys think of Beyond Shadowgate? Is it a worthy follow-up to the NES original?

I have a soft spot for this game because I got to test it before it went to market, and found a bug :)

It's an enjoyable point and click adventure, and the death scene's well, they are a treat.

Trying to jumpstart this thread which is so fun to read for a classic 2D lover...

So, I love Blazing Lazers, Super Star Soldier, Final Soldier and Soldier Blade so much on Virtual Console (love Lords of Thunder too but I'm not as big on Gate of Thunder as I think I should, for whatever reason) that I'm now tempted to jump in. But first, a couple questions:

1-Are the aforementioned shooters the best available on the system? If not, what are the other must haves? On my short list I have Spriggan (love Compile). But are Nexzr, Aldynes, Sylphia, the Rayxanbers, 1941 and Sapphire must own too? I've been salivating for these games for a while, I must admit. Am I missing any great original shooters (no ports)?

2-Need confirmation here. Can you play doujindance's Duo-Rs on a basic CRT? (Any satisfied/dissatisfied customers?) If so, how's the sound/image? I owned a Turbo Duo for a short while and always felt the sound was lacking for some reason. Also, can it play ALL the games (Japanese, US, SuperGrafx, etc.)?

Any input appreciated. (This thread must go on!)

Trying to jumpstart this thread which is so fun to read for a classic 2D lover...

So, I love Blazing Lazers, Super Star Soldier, Final Soldier and Soldier Blade so much on Virtual Console (love Lords of Thunder too but I'm not as big on Gate of Thunder as I think I should, for whatever reason) that I'm now tempted to jump in. But first, a couple questions:

1-Are the aforementioned shooters the best available on the system? If not, what are the other must haves? On my short list I have Spriggan (love Compile). But are Nexzr, Aldynes, Sylphia, the Rayxanbers, 1941 and Sapphire must own too? I've been salivating for these games for a while, I must admit. Am I missing any great original shooters (no ports)?
There are over a hundred shmups on the TG16 plus CD drive. Of course you're missing a few from that list! Sure, those are good to great games, and that is a lot of the best shmups for the system, but there are more... there is no system with an overall better shmup library than the TG16+CD.

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=1922.msg19031
There are 65 TG16/PCE HuCard shmups and rail shooters (this list includes both of those genres), two of them SuperGrafx enhanced, 2 SuperGrafx-only HuCard shmups, and 42 CD/Super CD/Arcade CD shmups. Of the CD ones one (Sapphire) requires the Arcade CD, 27 require the Super CD, 13 are regular CD games, and one (Terraforming) is a regular CD title with Super CD enhancements (shorter loading, etc.). As for the rail shooters on that list, there are only four, Space Harrier, After Burner, Thunder Blade, and Space Fantasy Zone. The rest are shmups. And that list doesn't even include the shmup minigames in non-shmup titles, like the two shmup minigames hidden in Tokimeki Memorial, etc! There's a ridiculous number of shmups on the TG16.

2-Need confirmation here. Can you play doujindance's Duo-Rs on a basic CRT? (Any satisfied/dissatisfied customers?) If so, how's the sound/image? I owned a Turbo Duo for a short while and always felt the sound was lacking for some reason. Also, can it play ALL the games (Japanese, US, SuperGrafx, etc.)?

I don't know who doujindance is, but I can answer everything else...

Only a SuperGrafx can play SuperGrafx games. SuperGrafxes are quite expensive though, and to add a CD drive to them you're best with a Super CD unit, which also aren't cheap, and often need repair as well (as with Duos, many have bad capacitors). Alternately the SuperGrafx can be attached to a PC Engine CD (with Interface Unit) via the RAU-30 unit, but that's bulky and kind of weird looking... and also uncommon.

Of course though, there are only five SuperGrafx games (all are HuCard titles; there are no SuperGrafx-enhanced CDs), plus only two (Darius Plus and Darius Alpha) which are SuperGrafx enhanced, so most people just forget the SuperGrafx (unless they have the cash!) and just get a regular system. It's a very expensive system with a tiny library of games. Aldynes and 1941 are great games, but the expense to be able to play them is considerable. It's probably best to just start with a regular system, and maybe get a SuperGrafx later to be used for those games... unless you just want to go all-in from the beginning. It'll cost you, though, and any CD addon to a SuperGrafx looks a little odd... the Super CD drive and PCE Interface Unit + RAU-30 connector both work for that, though, if you really want it, plus maybe a region mod for the SuperGrafx or something (to play US TG16 HuCard games).

SuperGrafx aside, there are three main ways to play "all the (non-SuperGrafx) games", either a Duo setup, a TG16/PCE or SuperGrafx with RAU-30 plus CD drive and base unit setup, or a PCE/SuperGrafx plus Super CD drive setup. All three have reliability issues (Super CD and regular Duos usually need capacitor replacements, regular CD drives usually need a new worm gear and may also need a laser, Duo lasers can get stuck at the end of the run if you try to play CD-Rs in them, etc.), so repair is quite possibly needed no matter what you get. The Duo-R and Duo-RX are the most reliable for sure, though... but I went with a TG16+base unit setup myself. It looks more interesting, for sure... but repairing that CD drive was costly (it needed a new motherboard and more...). Plus of course the TG16 has a different sized controller port from all other models, so you need an adapter in order to use Japanese controllers such as those quite useful 3 and 6-button pads. Ah well. It was worth it, though! It's such a great, great system... and I do love that the TG16 and Turbo CD base unit both use "brick in the middle" power cords, while all Japanese systems, and the US Turbo Duo, all have that annoying "plug on the brick" design.

Oh, no matter what setup you get, in order to play all games you need a region mod. CD games are all region free, but HuCard games of course are not. US TG16 and Duo systems can play PCE games with a converter, but converters are expensive and don't always work well; getting a mod would probably be cheaper for sure. Also, Japanese systems can't play US HuCard games at all without a mod, converters don't work that way. It's definitely best to be able to play HuCard games from both regions.

Thanks for the meaty reply!

doujindance is an eBay seller who was mentioned earlier in this thread. He seems to offer heavily modified Duo-Rs: http://www.ebay.it/itm/NEC-PC-Engin...652?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecaf133ac

You're right, I can't seem to find anything about an all-encompassing PC Engine console. (I wish the company who produces the Retron would release such a machine...)

I've been watching videos of some of the PCE shooters and my God, some kind of amazing OSTs in there. (First stage of Sylphia comes to mind, wow.)

Thanks for the meaty reply!

doujindance is an eBay seller who was mentioned earlier in this thread. He seems to offer heavily modified Duo-Rs: http://www.ebay.it/itm/NEC-PC-Engin...652?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecaf133ac

You're right, I can't seem to find anything about an all-encompassing PC Engine console. (I wish the company who produces the Retron would release such a machine...)
Hey, a region-modded SuperGrafx with a repaired Super CD drive attached to the back IS an all-encompassing single unit... it's just kind of weird looking and quite expensive to put together, which is why most people don't do that.

I'd love to be able to play Aldynes, but for now that will have to wait... ah well.

I've been watching videos of some of the PCE shooters and my God, some kind of amazing OSTs in there. (First stage of Sylphia comes to mind, wow.)

I see mixed reviews of doujindance on PCEFX, some good some not:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=13539.msg269245
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?action=post;quote=315397;topic=15458.15;last_msg=315663

The only reason I'd like to own a SuperGrafx is for the Daimakaimura port which I heard it's supposed to be excellent.
I cannot justify the cost of a console for a single game though :/

Let's see... shooters on PC Engine. I've played quite a few and Final Soldier listed there is one of my favorites. Others I can remember that I really liked are Cyber Core, the incredibly difficult and rather joypad snapping Mr. Heli and finally Kyuukyoku Tiger (Tiger Heli). I'm not exactly an expert in shumps so I can't say whether these games are good or bad but I liked them :p

Dicer

Banned
Shmups that must be played, we all know the soldier series and gates/lords but these are others to check out

Spriggan
Spriggan MkII <--------------this is one of THE best PCE shmups period
Magical Chase, sadly it costs a fortune
Image Fight I/II
Rayxanber II/III
Download(1 is ok but 2 is awesome)
Star Parodier, so cute
Cotton, again so cute
Alzadick/Nexzr
Air Zonk (not the CD version, yucky)

Those IMHO are the tops of the tops

Top Bottom