• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

Teknoman

Everyone needs to play:

COVER-Bloody_Wolf.jpg

Stage 1, lets rock.

This top down run n gun shooter drops you behind enemy lines, tasking you with rescuing hostages and just generally wrecking enemy stuff (i'm not sure of the story since I have the Japanese version). Yes, its another Data East shooter, but its really nicely paced, and you get to jack enemy motorcycles. The music is (at least stage 1 and the mid boss theme, havent made it past stage 2 since the Flame Diver boss weapon seems to have a strange range) is pretty catchy, and the graphics are nice and sharp. Nothing too colorful, but what is there is pretty rich as usual for TG16/PCE.

I havent run into any new weapons, but I just realized you can knife open crates to get power ups...so I probably missed some early on. Bloody Wolf is also the proud owner of one of the funniest barrel explosion enemy reactions this side of Ikari Warriors 1 enemy death animation.

Celine

*gets his Arcade Card from the mailbox*

*puts Sapphire bootleg inside the Pc Engine*

Why no one told me there was a Neo Geo under the little white hood?

woodypop

Everyone needs to play:

http://www.pcengine.co.uk/Images-Covers/COVER-Bloody_Wolf.jpg[IMG]

[B][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZH2fzv7_gY"]Stage 1, lets rock.[/URL][/B]

This top down run n gun shooter drops you behind enemy lines, tasking you with rescuing hostages and just generally wrecking enemy stuff (i'm not sure of the story since I have the Japanese version). Yes, its another Data East shooter, but its really nicely paced, and you get to jack enemy motorcycles. The music is (at least stage 1 and the mid boss theme, havent made it past stage 2 since the Flame Diver boss weapon seems to have a strange range) is pretty catchy, and the graphics are nice and sharp. Nothing too colorful, but what is there is pretty rich as usual for TG16/PCE.

I havent run into any new weapons, but I just realized you can knife open crates to get power ups...so I probably missed some early on. Bloody Wolf is also the proud owner of one of the funniest barrel explosion enemy reactions this side of Ikari Warriors 1 enemy death animation.[/QUOTE]
I need to pop this in again soon. For some reason I always get it confused with Red Alert. lol

lvlzero

Banned
Saw a 3 port "multi-tap" for pc engine today, are these things common? didnt have my wallet with me as i was just out for a jog but it will probably still be there next time i go, was only 105y - any idea which games actually use it?

Saw a 3 port "multi-tap" for pc engine today, are these things common? didnt have my wallet with me as i was just out for a jog but it will probably still be there next time i go, was only 105y - any idea which games actually use it?

There are quite a few multiplayer games but I don't know how many are actually 3 or 4 player enabled.
One I can think of off the top of my mind is Time Cruise 2, a pinball game.

Pad 1 controls the right switch, Pad 2 controls the left and Pad 3 controls the special stages.

I also had a 4 way multitap with my system but only 2 pads.

EDIT: From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TurboGrafx-16_games It looks like there are about 10 or so. I don't know if this is accurate or complete though.
EDIT2: That's Turbografx US games only though.

Yes Boss!

Well, if you ever wanna play the best Bombermans ever made, with others then you kinda need one.

Teknoman

So if the PC engine/ TG 16 was actually an 8 bit system, why was the 16 added to the Turbo Graphx name? Also how in world could they pull off such amazing looking games like Lords of Thunder and Rondo of blood with 8 bit tech?

So if the PC engine/ TG 16 was actually an 8 bit system, why was the 16 added to the Turbo Graphx name? Also how in world could they pull off such amazing looking games like Lords of Thunder and Rondo of blood with 8 bit tech?

It has (2) 16-bit graphics processors. The CPU is 8-bit.

Teknoman

Well...cant say I was expecting this.

1 Continue left...hope I can make it.

iZsEn7sVMClEP.jpg

On that note, I really miss giant evil 90s style bosses.

EDIT: Damn it.

IrishNinja

ahaha, at least you can blame the dog this time!

appreciate it, but the seller ended up tossing me one recently, along with a minus screwdriver to get the duo open...friend & i are in the process of tightening the resistor and hopefully getting discs running soon

Teknoman

ahaha, at least you can blame the dog this time!

appreciate it, but the seller ended up tossing me one recently, along with a minus screwdriver to get the duo open...friend & i are in the process of tightening the resistor and hopefully getting discs running soon

Cool, hope you're back in action with that.

EDIT: Btw anyone have a ballpark on how much it would be to mod my PC engine DUO to play North American card releases? Honestly...the only two i'd want to play are the Neutopia series games...but just in case I run into some cheap NA cards somewhere one day.

Yes Boss!

So, what is the skinny on Final Blaster?

I'm trying to clean up on some of the virtual console games I might have missed. Was this an arcade port? Or a stand-alone creation for the PCE?

Shining

So, what is the skinny on Final Blaster?

I'm trying to clean up on some of the virtual console games I might have missed. Was this an arcade port? Or a stand-alone creation for the PCE?

Can't answer on the arcade port part, but the gameplay is rather solid and the game have some nice tunes. What i don't like though is that the screen "wobbles" up and down as you controll your plane. Hard to explain but you can watch a longplay on youtube and you'll see what i mean.

Yes Boss!

Can't answer on the arcade port part, but the gameplay is rather solid and the game have some nice tunes. What i don't like though is that the screen "wobbles" up and down as you controll your plane. Hard to explain but you can watch a longplay on youtube and you'll see what i mean.

Does not seem to be an arcade game.

I wound up buying it yesterday. You are correct about the music...very good, especially the level complete fanfare.

Initially (only played for an hour or so) I was a bit underwhelmed. But then all of a sudden I started figuring out how to power up the weapon and was pleasently surprised. Not quite sure how the level advancement goes but I'm assuming you must fulfill certain goals to hit the more advanced versions of the levels (that show up in the interstitial sequences).

Yeah, wobble is certainly a little weird but I guess that came with the territory and 4:3 vertizontal stuff. Plenty of other games I've played certainly do it. You can actually use it to your advantage. Not really a negative just a design decision, I'm guessing.

I'm pretty happy with the game so far and will be playing it more.

lvlzero

Banned
As far as i know me and shinkansen.3000 are going to hit a local store next week for some gaming goodness, My paycheque in the bank and nothing major to pay for this month... DANGEROUS TIMES!

lvlzero

Banned
okay so me and shinkansen.3000 from this very thread met up to do some retro shopping, managed to find a system card 3.0 and a boxed (in really nice condition) PC engine to go with my CD add-on and interface unit, really stoked!

Will take a pic when I get back home, sitting in a bar playing some kz:mercenary about to have some dinner right now.

lvlzero

Banned
Also, shinkansen.3000 Is cool! Just wanted to state that . Didnt intend to make another post I meant to edit last one but oh well.

Bar81

Couldn't resist, better picture later when I get it home!

Unbelievably good condition, and the console itself is free of scuffs and yellowing

The pic really doesn't do it justice.

Re: romance, I'm married already :(

I am a Core Grafx II man myself, but that's nice condition. Enjoy.

Celine

I really like , in Sapphire, how the four spaceships different capabilities combined with the three kind of upgradable weapons (that differ for each pilot) change the flow of action and strategy involved.
Third boss is kicking my ass though, I seem to be not able to avoid him when it start to spinning around.
Damn you!

Couldn't resist, better picture later when I get it home!

Unbelievably good condition, and the console itself is free of scuffs and yellowing

The pic really doesn't do it justice.
Very cool although I'm more a Duo R/RX guy.

lvlzero

Banned
Pic flood time

Damn it feels good to have a complete system

System v3 card was found in the junk boxes of hard off, white screened at first, after a quick wipe with contact cleaner it works correctly every time.

Only thing left to do is fiddle with the CD unit and make it read CDs better, takes s while loading unless you tilt the console slightly
Anyone know a tuning guide for it?

Be careful with the CD unit. The pinion gear on the drive motor is prone to disintegrating - I have had 1 go on me so far, then it's game over. :eek:(

Briefcase set up is boss though, although you're missing one thing there ... an LT! :eek:)

lvlzero

Banned
Be careful with the CD unit. The pinion gear on the drive motor is prone to disintegrating - I have had 1 go on me so far, then it's game over. :eek:(

Briefcase set up is boss though, although you're missing one thing there ... an LT! :eek:)
Found a forum dedicated to NEC consoles and a guy in there sells replacement pinion gears that are much more reliable but no worries I cracked it open adjusted the pots a bit and it now works fine!

Found a forum dedicated to NEC consoles and a guy in there sells replacement pinion gears that are much more reliable but no worries I cracked it open adjusted the pots a bit and it now works fine!

Yeah, go to pcenginefx.com. You'll find several people who can sell you replacement gears, or, alternately, do the repair for you if you can't do it yourself.

There was a boxed DUO R in white too, a bit expensive but shinka was toootally tempted haha

It was so beautiful >_< I'm definitely getting one as soon as I get a budget!

I've been undecided until now whether to get the interface unit and connect it to my Core Grafx or getting the Duo, but after seeing it live I don't have much doubt anymore.

My first attempt will be to hunt down a Duo RX unboxed to save a little.

Of course I'd also need to get a TV first, and a new house to store it since I don't have enough space for one in my current room...

It's like I'm living the Gamecube Crystal Chronicles meme :p

Yes Boss!

I think the best combo is the Briefcase Unit with the first grey and blue Coregrafx. (Incidentally the first Coregrafx and the Supergrafx and Shuttle are my favorite PCE hardwares)

Shit is epic-hot with the perfect color combo. I'd take that over a Duo-R any day (as long as they were not so finicky).

gryz

Banned
now that I'm gainfully employed again I'm back to wasting my money on retro gaming. just picked up Splash Lake (which is awesome) and Shadow of the Beast (why were people excited about a remake of this again?)

Yes Boss!

now that I'm gainfully employed again I'm back to wasting my money on retro gaming. just picked up Splash Lake (which is awesome) and Shadow of the Beast (why were people excited about a remake of this again?)

I don't think anybody is excited for a remake. It is a time-capsule game for amiga graphics power. The game and things like the Video Toaster are just a product of its time.

gryz

Banned
I don't think anybody is excited for a remake. It is a time-capsule game for amiga graphics power. The game and things like the Video Toaster are just a product of its time.

yeah but there's a new one coming out for ps4 that was announced at gamecom, some people seem to be excited for some reason

the music is kinda awesome though

Yes Boss!

yeah but there's a new one coming out for ps4 that was announced at gamecom, some people seem to be excited for some reason

the music is kinda awesome though

Yeah, I'm watching it with interest. Hopefully it won't go the way of the Flashback remake.

There are fans of everything. Personally I'd love to see stuff like J.B. Harold and Night Trap remade...and I reckon nobody would want those!

woodypop

Man, the briefcase setups are so purdy!

And I gotta look into getting a Core unit, just 'cause it's so compact and tidy!

Top Bottom